Artemis Prime Becomes the Lord of the Rings

Greetings, Nerds! There is a hint of fall in the air in Pennsylvania today, and I'm thinking about what sort of fitness goals I'm going to set for myself this winter to stay active once my summer adventures come to an end. And so I proudly reveal to you, my quest to master Middle Earth: 

On September 1st I will be starting my Walk to Mordor. Here is Steve's article on walking, including walking to Mordor with a document to track if you want to follow along: https://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/walking/

Once the Chin Up Challenge is done, I'll tackle the Lord of the Rings workout, which is awesome, and can be found here: https://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/the-lord-of-the-rings-workout-one-plan-to-rule-them-all/. The workout is designed to be done in three super sets, which looks insane to me. I'll be doing them as three separate workouts.

Lastly, once I'm in a routine with the above two goals, I'll think about adding in some ring work to start working towards a L-Sit and truly become THE LORD OF THE RINGS!

Thanks for following along, looking forward to saving Middle Earth with you all!

• Like 5

"For God did not give us a spirit of fear; but a spirit of power, love, and self-discipline". - 2 Timothy 1:7

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." -Gandalf

9 hours ago, Bouncer_the_Lovable said:

Heyo! Welcome to the forums saw your post on prime! Can't wait to watch you or fall adventure!

Here is also an accountability group based on walk to mordor:  (

not crazy active at the moment, but people are happy to see updates especially in their interests) 

Thanks for the support! And thank you for pointing me in the direction of the group, I'll go introduce myself!

"For God did not give us a spirit of fear; but a spirit of power, love, and self-discipline". - 2 Timothy 1:7

I know the group linked in Bouncer's post has a spreadsheet, but I'd already made my own log before I found it, so if anyone wants to use that one, here's the link: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1b34QzI52yHmKvgxT2otzbuj4sxRoYXhrnTFZ1DWYtyk/edit?usp=sharing

Just duplicate the Log Template sheet, rename it with your name, and start logging!

The progress is copied from the Walk to Mordor app, which I also highly recommend. Looks like this:

image.png.d29299fc20f69b8f3eb6ef9066263d4e.png

If anyone downloads the app and wants to be friends with me, I'm on there as Artemis Prime.

• Like 1

I started rereading The Hobbit last night in the spirit of this challenge. I forgot how much singing there is. I'm going to launch a petition to make The Hobbit: A Musical Journey to the Lonely Mountain on Broadway.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Bilbo and co. just made it to Rivendell. Tolkien's first description of Elrond: "He was as noble and fair in face as an elf-lord, as strong as a warrior, as wise as a wizard, as venerable as a king of dwarves, and as kind as summer."

How's that for #goals? Also, I really appreciate that Tolkien puts kindness right up there with strength and wisdom for desirable traits.

b3941a704a2287f288ccc65ada243865.jpg

• Like 3

On 8/21/2020 at 8:06 AM, Artemis Prime said:

I started rereading The Hobbit last night in the spirit of this challenge. I forgot how much singing there is. I'm going to launch a petition to make The Hobbit: A Musical Journey to the Lonely Mountain on Broadway.

In previous readings, I admit , I skimmed through the songs. In my last re-read, I slowed down and read them and really enjoyed them. 

• Like 2

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

Challenge kicks off tomorrow! To increase the nerdiness quotient (if I haven't already maxxed that out) I decised to bust out my old Middle Earth: the Wizards cards and get them in on the action. Tried to set up my hazard and resource decks to reflect the fellowship's journey. Not sure exactly how this is all going to work, but here are Frodo and Sam all set to leave Bag End tomorrow.

20200831_131946.jpg

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Dionysus said:

Shall I record my steps here or in the group chat on Facebook?

Welcome! Feel free to move at whatever pace you want. I'm tracking all my steps, not just dedicated walks, so that will give me some extra mileage.

Log your miles here (or in the spreadsheet or app). I was just using the group chat to help people find this thread.

• Like 1

@Edgedancer Welcome to the Fellowship! You can set whatever goals you want for yourself as far as what counts or not, but I say Frodo's miles include horseback and canoe, (and a tiny bit on Eagle) so any forward progress is good in my book.

The intermediate landmarks really do a lot to make it feel like you're making progress. I want to add some in between Rivendell and Bag End for the return trip, but unless someone really is planning to fly by eagle, I figure I have lots of time before that becomes an issue.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Artemis Prime said:

Wanted to make it to Tookland yesterday. Didn't quite get there, (3.5 miles)but I'll make it today!

Almost there!

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

@Artemis Prime You're right! So I counted running yesterday. No eagle flying for me though, so you probably have more than a year to add landmarks on the return trip!

When I wanted to log my miles yesterday I saw you hadn't done it yet, and being the first one to use the sheet was intimidating. I saw that you added a sheet for me (or... Did I?) but I can't modify it. Do you know if you can give me modification rights? If not I will make a copy. 

I added you on the app!

• Like 2

Current challenge

"Failure is the mark of a life well lived." - Brandon Sanderson, Oathbringer. 

@EdgedancerI added you on the spreadsheet after I saw you on the other group. I locked the template so nobody accidentally messes it up, but I didn't know if that would prevent people from duplicating it, so I figured I'd give you a bump there.

Meant to give anyone editing rights, didn't realize that I hadn't. You should be good to go now!

P.S. Feel free to change your sheet name if you want to go by something else!