team members:

Martinpanduh

mcgriff99

trailgirl

ormaybemidgets

lwow

deiter

about rangers:

Rangers are a hybrid of Warriors and Scouts, built for strength AND endurance. A jack-of-all-trades but master of none, Rangers are well-equipped for any situation. Their weight training revolves around varying the reps, sets, and downtime to continually force those body to adapt to new situations. Usually Rangers follow a Paleo Diet, eating things that can only be found in nature. Thanks to this type of training and diet, Rangers have incredibly low body-fat percentages.

Primary attributes: Functional strength, adaptability.

Training: Lots of weight training but with minimal downtime (think crossfit and 300 training).

Real Life example: Gerard Butler in 300.

What's our name? Here are some thoughts on running in general, maybe they will inspire some ideas

"No doubt a brain and some shoes are essential for marathon success, although if it comes down to a choice, pick the shoes. More people finish marathons with no brains than with no shoes."

-- Don Kardong...this must be old, I keep seeing more and more barefooters

"The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass."

--Martin Mull

"To a runner, a side stitch is like a car alarm. It signifies something is wrong, but you ignore it until it goes away."

-- Anonymous

"I run so my goals in life will continue to get bigger instead of my belly."

- Bill Kirby

"It hurts up to a point and then it doesn't get any worse."

Ann Trason

"I always loved running - it was something you could do by yourself, and under your own power. You could go in any direction, fast or slow as you wanted, fighting the wind if you felt like it, seeking out new sights just on the strength of your feet and the courage of your lungs."

Jesse Owens

"Running is a big question mark that's there each and every day. It asks you, 'Are you going to be a wimp or are you going to be strong today?"

Peter Maher

"A lot of people run a race to see who's the fastest. I run to see who has the most guts."

Steve Prefontaine

Yay! I have to admit I feel like I don't quite belong in a running group. Though I do run, right now it's mostly intervals, and it's almost never in real life (winter = treadmill). But I know our team will be great!

Thanks for the quotes lwow! Sometimes I've gotta pump myself up before heading out, those will be helpful :)

Hello everybody!

I, too, am not sure about being in a "running" group, but I am working on becoming a runner (again), so maybe it does fit. I am mgrif99 (or mcgriff99) :lol: ... you can call me mgrif or Melissa or just MEL.

INTRO:

I'm going to be gone for a few days, so I'll add my spiel now. I'm bad at intros, so I'm following spezzy's prompt:

Where did you came from? The land of the unmotivated!!

I was once an athlete, but years later I am horribly out of shape. I lost a bunch of weight about three years ago, and I have since put it all (plus some extra) back on. A few months ago, I was the biggest I have ever been in my life. It was pretty bad. I started getting back into shape, but it has been a painfully slow process. I have lost some poundage, and I am getting stronger.

Where do you plan on going?

I want be a runner again. I was in the Navy (forever ago!) and could run 2 miles pretty easily. Now, I can barely jog half a mile without feeling like I'm having a heart attack. I want to be able to run 5Ks on a regular basis. And I want to be able to tackle mud runs every once and a while, not because they are hard, but because they are fun! (Any event where you dress in costume and end up covered in mud must be a blast.)

I also want to be able to DO things that I have difficulty doing, like walking up a few flights of stairs without getting winded. And be able to do a freakin' pullup! And be able to do REAL pushups, not the girly ones on my knees.

How do you intend to get there?

I'm running 2-3 times a week, slowly increasing my distance. I have been doing a run/walk program similar to the Couch-2-5K program. I ran a 5K on Nov 6, during which I walked at least 1 of the 3.1 miles. It sucked, but I finished. I plan to run a 5K every month, which is easy to do in my area. There is a local 5K almost every week. Being in South Texas, they are pretty much year-round events. This month (this weekend, actually!), I'm doing a 3.2 obstacle course race with my son, the Warrior Dash. I'm staying with my sister in Austin, and my son and I will be wearing matching outfits. We are super stoked. Photos will follow...

As far as the conditioning, I'm doing bodyweight exercises, as described in my thread.

What are your strengths/weaknesses?

Strengths:

1. Being flexible (mentally, not physically!); being able to "change it up" when something isn't working.

2. Being supportive and cheering others on, no matter how crappy I've been doing.

Weaknesses:

1. Being horribly out of practice in exercising!

2. Setting unrealistic goals and then getting disappointed when I don't achieve them.

What are you planning on bringing to the table?

Support. Encouragement. And hopefully some comic relief. ;)

My facebook page is here. Feel free to send a friend request with your NF name so I know who you are.

I'm off to Austin tomorrow morning, so I hope everyone has a fantastic weekend. I look forward to getting to know our team!

Posted Image

Oh man, I really feel like I do not deserve to be on "running" rangers this challenge. I have run exactly ONCE this challenge, on the second day. Boo, self! I just do not feel like running (even inside) when it's cold.

1. Any tips for winter running (inside)/motivation?

2. How much have yall been running this challenge? Mile/time report?

1- ha, no...I'll think about it though. I am still running outside so far. I have been favoring the gym for weights and classes lately though because it is dark before I get out of work and so so cold in the mornings, so weekend running only

2-like I said, just running on weekends, pretty casual. I haven't been timing or anything maybe 2-3 miles per outing. Doing most of my workouts inside these days and the treadmills are always full which doesn't bother me mutch

Sign in to follow this