Level 1 for Stickman

Hey guys, I'm Stickman.  I used to be TrappedInAFatGuy, but I didn't utilize this community the way I should have (This was like 6 years ago) and since I am basically brand new to the forums again, I decided to change my name and have a totally fresh start.  Looking back to 6 years ago, I WISH I was as "fat" and out of shape as I thought I was back then.  But today is day one, and this is Level 1.  

Here are my goals for this challenge

Diet:

1. Phase out energy drinks and replace them with black coffee or tea. (I am a Bang-aholic and drink two a day currently.)

2. Start keeping a daily food journal so I can hold myself accountable for the garbage I put in my body. (I have convinced myself if no one sees me eat it, then it didn't actually get eaten.  This has led to some very awkward and shame-filled binges in my parked car.)

Fitness:

1. Walk.  Outside. Every day. For at least 5 minutes. 

Level Up:

1. Create a savings account and have $200 saved up. 

I do love this community and look forward to hitting these goals.  I really need to focus on keeping myself accountable for my actions.  I will be doing that here.  With you guys.  So thank you for being here.  

Lets GOOOOOOOOOOO!

• Like 3

Nice goals! You can do those!

There are few things worse for you than energy drinks. And few things better than walking. If you get on top of those, everything else will start to follow. :D

What's the best time to plant a tree?

20 years ago.

What's the second best time to plant a tree?

Now.

Day two was better.  Still need to find a way to get out and walk.  It's like I always find something else to do instead. 

I am on day 3 of no energy drink and actually not really craving it that badly.  My office coffee seems to be doing the trick. :)

Here's to improving a little more today.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Stickman_11 said:

Still need to find a way to get out and walk.  It's like I always find something else to do instead.

Yes, I have this! What works for me is recognising that I will usually not want to do it before I start, but that I never regret having done it after I've done it, if that makes sense. Then, switch off your computer/phone/whatever, and get on.

20 years ago.

Now.

Just now, cd667 said:

Then, switch off your computer/phone/whatever, and get on.

Man...this hits me.  I am a chronic scroller.  I got rid of Facebook last year and thought that would help, but I just found other apps to waste time on...

You've got me thinking though, so thank you for that!  It definitely illuminates the fact that I do have plenty of time in my day for a 5 minute walk. :) 

14 minutes ago, Stickman_11 said:

Man...this hits me.  I am a chronic scroller.  I got rid of Facebook last year and thought that would help, but I just found other apps to waste time on...

Ah, but aren't we all? Device addiction is a real thing. People that can manage their device usage will have a superpower in the future. There are millions of people out there who are not living their best because their mind is elsewhere.

• Like 2

20 years ago.

Now.

Welcome (back) Stickman! I too am rejoining the forum with a new name after not following through on past challenges. Feels good to be back, doesn't it?

Food tracking is such a helpful thing. I always avoided it because I thought I had a pretty balanced diet, but then I took a challenge to log everything for 30 days and I was shocked at how much junk was sneaking in. I stopped tracking after the challenge ended, but the increased awareness of what/how much I'm eating has stuck with me.

The best advice I got on tracking was to not worry about changing anything for the first week or so and to not feel guilty about what you're eating. Finding the right diet (as in long-term eating habits) for you is an experiment and right now you're simply gathering objective information to help you form a hypothesis. No need to feel bad about the information, it's just doing it's job!

"For God did not give us a spirit of fear; but a spirit of power, love, and self-discipline". - 2 Timothy 1:7

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." -Gandalf

9 hours ago, Artemis Prime said:

The best advice I got on tracking was to not worry about changing anything for the first week or so and to not feel guilty about what you're eating.

This is FANTASTIC advice as I sit here eating a giant plate of nachos and drinking a beer, hahaha. But I did write it down in my log!

Day three-

I finally went for my walk!

Still energy drink free

Logged all my food. Even the unhealthy stuff. Im trying to get over the "if I didn't write it down then it didn't actually happen " mentality. 

I do need to make some sort of baby steps on my savings goal.  Its still untouched.

Thank you guys for all of the encouragement so far!

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Stickman_11 said:

This is FANTASTIC advice as I sit here eating a giant plate of nachos and drinking a beer, hahaha. But I did write it down in my log!

That's the idea! Sometimes we get so self conscious about what we're eating we don't write it down and that is incredibly unhelpful. So the point with not trying to make changes right away is you train yourself to log everything no matter what it is without feeling bad about it.

Also, nothing wrong with a cold brew or even a plate of nachos. You just need to make a plan for how you're going to adjust to make it fit your goals.

"For God did not give us a spirit of fear; but a spirit of power, love, and self-discipline". - 2 Timothy 1:7

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." -Gandalf

Well, I had a bit of a regression in my challenge.  Ran into some days where I just struggled to get off the couch or out of bed.  But I made it in to work today.  So I consider that a big win for me.  Had an energy drink, but thats ok.  Sometimes taking two steps forward requires taking one step back.  

You guys are an awesome community. And yes, AuntDinosaur, the heat here is downright nasty too.  But we are supposed to cool off tomorrow so yay for that! 

I plan on finishing this challenge, even if I have to limp across the finish line.

• Like 2