Edgedancer's first (half) challenge

I didn't want to wait until the start of the next challenge to post here, so I picked goals I have already been working on and will stick to them for… well 15 days.

1. Make sure I have proper form for all the movements of my strength routine. Push-ups are already good, but I know my squats are not, my knees tend to go in. I should ask someone or record myself for the romanian deadlifts and bent over rows. 
  2. Exercice or go out for a 20 minute walk everyday. I usually do weight training by myself twice a week and in some kind of circuit training class once a week. The other days I do HIIT or nothing and I want to systematically walk on the "nothing" days.
  3. Eat no more than 10 400 calories/week. I have been doing alright for the past weeks. I don't go over my goal too often and when I do I usually balance out the week after. I would like to keep it this way, or be even more consistent!
  4. Eat at least 65g of protein every day. I am (more or less) vegetarian, and when I started tracking my macros I clearly saw I was not eating enough protein. I have been making progress but it is not easy!
  5. Doing something that scares me at least twice a week. It usually involves talking to strangers, asking a question in front of everyone at the circuit training class or being bold in a discussion. Professional posts on social media also count, I need some practice before starting my blog.

After that I'll probably pick some goals related to strength training, but I want to make sure I have a solid routine first

Current challenge

"Failure is the mark of a life well lived." - Brandon Sanderson, Oathbringer. 

Thanks everyone!

Regarding my daily goals:

Yesterday

• Exercise or walk: walk  
  • Below calorie intake goal:    
  • At least 65g of protein: 80g!    

Today

• Exercise or walk: strength workout  
  • Below calorie intake goal:   50 calories above, so technically no, but still good.
  • At least 65g of protein: 85g!    

During my workout I recorded myself and I could see the form of my romanian deadlift was not perfect. My stand is probably slightly too wide and I am bending my knees a bit when I go down. My stand seems a bit wide for the squats to but it helps me keeping my knees right (not collapsing inside), so I guess that's alright?

I will record my self again on monday!

Current challenge

On 8/20/2020 at 8:16 PM, Edgedancer said:

Professional posts on social media also count, I need some practice before starting my blog.

What are you planning to blog about?

If you post videos of your squats, you might be able to get feedback on your form. No promises.

Challenge:   0   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33  

Welcome! Those sound like great goals that will give you a strong base to build on moving forward.

I'm no expert on squats, but I think it's fine to have a wider stance, especially if it helps keep everything else in line.

"For God did not give us a spirit of fear; but a spirit of power, love, and self-discipline". - 2 Timothy 1:7

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." -Gandalf

Thanks everyone! Regarding the squats I'll probably ask the teacher of the fitness class on Wednesday. I'll also see tomorrow if I would be confortable with a narrower stand, if not I'm not going to force it.

On 8/21/2020 at 11:46 PM, juliebarkley said:

What are you planning to blog about?

I would like to start a blog for my work, about data analysis and research, and advice for young researchers and students. it's scary but I am getting closer to starting it!

Current challenge

Overall last week went well!

1. No news regarding proper form 
  2. I walked on saturday and sunday, and I walked or exercised every day of the week. I walked 28km (14 miles) total during the week, I'm happy about that! 
  3. I ate under 10 400 calories this week, it was very close but I still reached this goal 
  4. The protein went well to (my minimum if 75g). It's a mix of being careful and going out for dinner and having meat, which definitely makes it easier but is not ideal. 
  5. Things that scare me: I asked the teacher about my squat form, I started posting here, and I called a restaurant to make a reservation 

Current challenge

I feel like many things happened this week! Regarding form I realized on Monday I was not holding the dumbbell the right way for the gobelet squat. I fixed it and it feels much better. I filmed myself again and I think everything looks good.

I walked or exercised every day. I did 10 push-ups in a row for the first time, I am so happy! I also tried running on the treadmill. Tracking my progress motivates me a lot for weight training, so I wanted to do the same for cardiovascular health. The run went well, I was not breathless like I was a couple of months ago but the outside of my knee really hurt and I had to stop and walk several times so that it could relax.

Regarding calories, I started getting hungry (like really hungry) a couple of hours before each meal, and I noticed I was not recovering well from my workouts or hikes, even for activities I have done for several weeks without any issue. I have been on calorie restriction for almost 2 months and it is the first time I experience this. I decided to increase my calorie goal, but I am not sure I am going to keep tracking. My current goal is close to what I naturally do minus unhealthy snacks, and tracking increases my anxiety a bit so I am probably going to stop.

Protein intake was easier with my increased calorie intake. 

I did several things that scare me, including meeting with some of my colleagues who I don't know because of the pandemic, contacting a coach for a first session and trying to act like the extrovert I am not at a birthday party.

Today I registered for a cross-fit class starting in 2 weeks, I am so excited!

• Like 2
  • That's Metal 1

Current challenge

Great week! Woot for the push ups, and woot for correcting your form and taking a video of yourself. I am often surprised at how something I'm doing feels right, and then I take a video and realize that I'm way off.

Wisdom 18   Dexterity 11   Charisma 12   Strength 16  Constitution-12

Elastigirl Endeavors, Experiments, , and Explains - Current Challenge: May 9 to June 12 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

2 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

I am often surprised at how something I'm doing feels right, and then I take a video and realize that I'm way off.

A couple of years ago I did some cross-fit and now that I am starting strength training again I realize I was doing everything wrong. The big enlightenment for me was when I learnt to do a proper elevated push up, and realized I had never done a proper push up before. So now I am trying to get every thing right before getting in the habit of doing it all wrong!

• Like 1

Current challenge

I recently slowed way down on my workouts and really focused on getting full range of motion with proper form. Push ups were the big one where I really dropped in number of reps I could do once I fixed it, but even though my reps are still low, I already feel stronger.

I've never done cross fit, but a common criticism I hear of them is that there is so much emphasis on speed, form tends to suffer.

"For God did not give us a spirit of fear; but a spirit of power, love, and self-discipline". - 2 Timothy 1:7

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." -Gandalf

I think it is also due to group classes. The teacher gives you a list of moves, everybody follows along and that's it. The goal is to do the thing, it does not really matter how you do it.

When I am alone it is easier to take the time to think about what I am doing and how it feels. 

I am starting a cross fit class in 2 weeks, we'll see how it goes! 

Current challenge

Quick update on last week!

I went on a trip so things got disrupted. I stopped tracking calories because I know it is difficult to do when eating out, plus I knew I would not follow my goals and I did not want to feel guilty the whole time. I am not sure I am going to start tracking again though.

I did my 3 strength training last week, using a bodyweight workout during the trip, so I am happy about that! And we did some nice hikes!

I talked to many people and did many things that scared me, so this goal worked out well.

• Like 1

Current challenge