Any reason not to swim on "rest" days?

I've gotten into running this year. I think I've mostly gotten pretty good at reading when my body needs a break, adding in some rest days or dialing down the intensity. But sometimes when I'm trying to let my joints rest, I otherwise feel really good and have high energy. I miss getting outside and getting tired. Is there any reason not to swim on those days? Is there a reason that swimming a lot would prevent a day from being a "rest" day, for the purposes of running?

It's low impact, so I don't see why not. In my experience (former runner with lots of running friends), runners tend to be horrible at taking rest days, but as long as you're listening to your body, it should be fine.

Not to knock swimming, but are you doing any strength training? It might make a better complement to running than swimming and my best year of running ever was when I was consistently strength training once or twice a week. My only warning is I fell in love with strength training and that became my main focus, which is why I now consider myself a former runner.

• Thanks 1

"For God did not give us a spirit of fear; but a spirit of power, love, and self-discipline". - 2 Timothy 1:7

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." -Gandalf

Thanks for the advice you two!

2 hours ago, Artemis Prime said:

Not to knock swimming, but are you doing any strength training? It might make a better complement to running than swimming and my best year of running ever was when I was consistently strength training once or twice a week. My only warning is I fell in love with strength training and that became my main focus, which is why I now consider myself a former runner.

I do some strength-training too. I've been on a minor hiatus, but I'll get back to it soon. I think the main advantage of swimming is just that it's fun, so it's easier to get myself to do it. What I'm realizing is that for me, the general rule with working out is that anything I do outside is better than anything I do inside. I haven't found a way to make strength-training fun yet. That said, it's at least pretty bearable if I do it while watching a show.

14 hours ago, Mudd said:

I haven't found a way to make strength-training fun yet.

I hear you. I really enjoy strength training, but I wouldn't exactly call it fun. If you've found something that works for you with a swim/run combo, then by all mean go with that. 

• Like 1

"For God did not give us a spirit of fear; but a spirit of power, love, and self-discipline". - 2 Timothy 1:7

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." -Gandalf

After saying that, I tried to go for a swim yesterday and couldn't bring myself to do a single lap, the lake was so cold. I might be getting back to strength training earlier than I'd planned... But I don't find it too hard to stay motivated as long as I'm seeing results. I guess that part can be fun.

• Like 1