No registered users viewing this page.

The Swing of the Axe: Tanktimus Sticks to What Works

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

An analogy I'm rather fond of is comparing progress or healing to chopping down a tree. Each individual swing of the axe seems to have very little individual effect. However, if one keeps swinging, ev

Fair enough.    Today is a good day. It was in the fifties this morning, which is rare in September. We've been having lots of rain, and a cool front came through. You usually have to wait t

Today is a good day. Did 2 full rounds of the KB workout, it felt good. Cleaned up the kitchen and hung out with Little Bit. Got the tree cutters scheduled for next month. It feels good to hire an arb

Posted Images

I've seen a great many folks with a great many lengths of full beard wearing masks, and every time I wonder how on earth that can be anything other than incredibly uncomfortable. I guess if you can find a mask that sits right then great, but I think it would be a lot easier to do what you did and shave things down until you've got something that will basically fit inside most masks!

• Like 1
47 minutes ago, iatetheyeti said:

I've seen a great many folks with a great many lengths of full beard wearing masks, and every time I wonder how on earth that can be anything other than incredibly uncomfortable. I guess if you can find a mask that sits right then great, but I think it would be a lot easier to do what you did and shave things down until you've got something that will basically fit inside most masks!

I can confirm that is is a right bugger.  Some of them definitely fit round it better than others, and I've seen some places selling massive ones that pretty look like a whole shopping bag over the bottom half of your face 😂

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
13 hours ago, fearless 2.0 said:

hell yeah!!!! ❤️

:D 

12 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

One of the managers of the contractors working on our kitchen has been wearing a large mask that covers the lower half of his face every time he has been here.  Today, he came over to check on one or two things that they needed more parts for, and he arrived just as I left the house to take my Happy Sidekick on her daily walk. As the dog and I returned from our walk, this same person was about to leave, and was in the process of removing his mask before getting into his truck and leaving. 

It's been over two months of seeing this person several time per week, and until that moment I had no idea he has a full beard!  😲

I have joked that people who started working at the hospital after the outbreak are going to have no idea what any of their coworkers look like. On the other hand, when I don't recognize someone, the masks are such a perfect excuse.

4 hours ago, Terah said:

Following

tenor.gif?itemid=12032246

(After all those violent ax gifs, I thought you could use a cute one ;) )

Why thank you.

4 hours ago, iatetheyeti said:

Sometimes the beards prevent a good seal on certain masks. @Rurik Harrgath told me a story once of how when he was in the army he got permission to grow out a beard to show that a good seal on the gas mask was possible with a beard.

Of course, he had to put so much vasoline on his beard he had to shave it right away, but he got the seal.

3 hours ago, Big_Show said:

I can confirm that is is a right bugger.  Some of them definitely fit round it better than others, and I've seen some places selling massive ones that pretty look like a whole shopping bag over the bottom half of your face 😂

Those always look funny.

3 hours ago, KB Girl said:

Brushing your teeth after every bite of food also sounds like a great weight loss strategy x)

Every meal, not every bite, but the lady at the Orthodontist's office said some people do lose weight due to eating less often.

• Like 6

A little late to the party, but I'm here, sir.

Learn to AXE THROW with DEADPOOL | Axe-imum Effort - YouTube

We recently took a trip to South Padre at the beginning of August and drove through San Antonio both on the way there and the way back and I REALLY wanted to stop in SA and see you, Mel and the Princess...but we didn't really have a ton of time for stops (because we had all our kids, and a 9 hour car ride for them was brutal) But I miss ya man. Glad to see you're still swinging away ;) 

Odrif Scharp Uchawi-Asgeiri | Oustomiaworld Wikia | Fandom

Wolf 

• Like 4
7 hours ago, iatetheyeti said:

6 hours ago, Big_Show said:

My husband is super stubborn and doesn't want to shave everything off now that he doesn't have to be clean shaven anymore. We've found that the around the neck type masks (scarf sorts? Google just informed me it's called a 'neck gaiter' or something) work well for those bearded folk.

• Like 2
6 hours ago, Wild Wolf said:

A little late to the party, but I'm here, sir.

Learn to AXE THROW with DEADPOOL | Axe-imum Effort - YouTubeWe recently took a trip to South Padre at the beginning of August and drove through San Antonio both on the way there and the way back and I REALLY wanted to stop in SA and see you, Mel and the Princess...but we didn't really have a ton of time for stops (because we had all our kids, and a 9 hour car ride for them was brutal) But I miss ya man. Glad to see you're still swinging away ;) 

Wolf 

No worries, 9 hours is brutal for grown-ups. Still can't wait till we can meet up again.

3 hours ago, TheGreyJedi-Ranger said:

My husband is super stubborn and doesn't want to shave everything off now that he doesn't have to be clean shaven anymore. We've found that the around the neck type masks (scarf sorts? Google just informed me it's called a 'neck gaiter' or something) work well for those bearded folk.

I call that the defiance beard. I don't blame him. 

1 hour ago, spezzy said:

giphy.gif

Yes, exactly like that, though I look better in a skirt.

1 hour ago, iatetheyeti said:

That's both hilarious and horrifying, poor Rurik!

He smiled when he told the story, don't feel too bad for him.

• Like 4
3 hours ago, GoodDoug said:

Axe me no questions... and I'll tell you no lies.

Fair enough. 

Today is a good day. It was in the fifties this morning, which is rare in September. We've been having lots of rain, and a cool front came through. You usually have to wait till October for the first one of those mornings, and it's November till they are consistent (and sometimes when we don't get a winter lows in the sixties are more common). To have one this early was a special treat. I felt energized most of the day. Highs will be back in the 90s by the weekend, but I'll take this early cool snap happily. I sat outside with Little Bit on the back porch, we even went for a walk with her in the stroller. She also had a doctor's appointment today. She's 75th percentile for weight and head circumference, but over the 97th percentile for length (32 1/2 inches). For the record, for girls that's the 50th percentile for 2 year olds. That's right, she's the average height of a baby twice her age.

Dinner was good. I cooked some chopped chicken thighs in avocado oil with salt, white wine vinegar, and dried rubbed sage (lots of sage). When it was mostly done I added heavy cream and chicken broth and let it come to a boil and cook for about five minutes. In the oven I had diced butternut squash roasting for 20 minutes with olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and white wine vinegar. When it was done it went in a bowl with dried cherries, goat cheese, baby spinach, and a hint of balsamic vinaigrette. The chicken was good, and the liquid was AMAZING. The salad was also incredible, the cherries and goat cheese paired very well together and both went well with the spinach and squash. All in all a good meal.

• Like 17
16 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

She's 75th percentile for weight and head circumference, but over the 97th percentile for length (32 1/2 inches). For the record, for girls that's the 50th percentile for 2 year olds. That's right, she's the average height of a baby twice her age.

Most admirable. Wait, it's not a problem, right? Babies can't be too tall, can they? 

• Like 1
16 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

She's 75th percentile for weight and head circumference, but over the 97th percentile for length (32 1/2 inches). For the record, for girls that's the 50th percentile for 2 year olds. That's right, she's the average height of a baby twice her age.

The WNBA will appreciate her presence. ;) 

• Like 2
22 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

No worries, 9 hours is brutal for grown-ups. Still can't wait till we can meet up again.

For sure dude! The drive there wasn't bad at all...the drive back felt like it took FOREVER. I'm anticipating the day we can hang out again, my friend. We made your Chicken Molle a couple weeks ago. I ate it for 3-days straight and never tired of it lol.

18 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I don't even want to hear Trixie's numbers lol. She's still so small, but, she's doing lots of big girl things :). Glad to see Little Bit is filling out those onsies ;) 

Wolf

• Like 1
4 hours ago, TheGreyJedi-Ranger said:

I'm pretty sure "defiance" is a core aspect of his personality xD When he left law enforcement he was all like "NO MORE BABY FACE BEARD TIME" 

Have you looked into the Enneagram at all? He sounds like a type 5.

3 hours ago, Harriet said:

Most admirable. Wait, it's not a problem, right? Babies can't be too tall, can they? 

Only when babyproofing.

3 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

The WNBA will appreciate her presence. ;) 

That thought has occured to me. 

2 hours ago, GoodDoug said:

I can only imagine you and Mrs Tank doing tug-o-war "It's my turn to cuddle her!"

She's long enough now we can share.

1 hour ago, Wild Wolf said:

For sure dude! The drive there wasn't bad at all...the drive back felt like it took FOREVER. I'm anticipating the day we can hang out again, my friend. We made your Chicken Molle a couple weeks ago. I ate it for 3-days straight and never tired of it lol.

I don't even want to hear Trixie's numbers lol. She's still so small, but, she's doing lots of big girl things :). Glad to see Little Bit is filling out those onsies ;) 

Wolf

I still watch that video of making Mole that Princess Mononoke shot and edited from time to time.

Today is a good day. It's warm this afternoon, but the morning still felt cool and crisp. I'm loving it. It's gonna be in the low 90s a couple of days, but the rest of the time the highs will be in the 80s. That's early fall weather down here. We'll probably have a last warm spell before real fall arrives. I did a KB workout on the back porch and it was fun to be outside. Lunch was simple, some wraps with pan scrambled bacon and rotisserie chicken, along with lettuce, chopped tomatoes, cheese and bougie ranch. The side was roasted carrots with a lemon-rosemary sauce. It was all good.

• Like 10

Tall baby tall baby tall baby!!

That lunch sounds absolutely delicious. What makes your ranch bougie?

Good job on the kettlebell workout! That does sound fun to do that outside!

2 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I posted this on FB and thought it fits here too.

BGtmmCo.jpeg

This is hilarious, but also... relatable??

• Like 1

Bougie ranch sounds right up my alley. Been craving ranch in general lately. 

Aaaaaand Ahem, There, Mister-With-A-Plan. Seems my joking with DH re: your Evil Plan For Relocation/Nerd Domination Of Texas hit a chord - now he’s talking about TX over Seattle if we don’t travel long term after the Sandpit. 😂

• Like 1
On 9/6/2020 at 9:36 PM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

. I made totwaffles. As much as that sounds dirty, it's not (though I'm reasonably sure the creator intended it to sound that way based on what I linked

Ooooh I’ve been meaning to make those. Were they everything you dreamed of and more?

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

The love you have for this tall baby. Makes my heart sing.

You're welcome!

10 hours ago, Cheetah said:

My daughter is also tall.  She's 12, and see about 5'3" and wears a women's size 10 shoe.

That's tall. We've been getting a lot of comments about people seeing her size and thinking she is older than she is, and expecting her to behave like a normal child of that size. Tall babies act in ways that are age appropriate, that seem immature or ill-mannered to observers who don't know how young they are. I'm guilty of this myself.

10 hours ago, Dusk said:

Tall baby tall baby tall baby!!

That lunch sounds absolutely delicious. What makes your ranch bougie?

Good job on the kettlebell workout! That does sound fun to do that outside!

This is hilarious, but also... relatable??

What makes the Ranch bougie is that it has to be refrigerated even before opening and comes in something more akin to a jar than a bottle. It's also clearly high quality based on taste.

3 hours ago, darkfoxx said:

Bougie ranch sounds right up my alley. Been craving ranch in general lately. 

Aaaaaand Ahem, There, Mister-With-A-Plan. Seems my joking with DH re: your Evil Plan For Relocation/Nerd Domination Of Texas hit a chord - now he’s talking about TX over Seattle if we don’t travel long term after the Sandpit. 😂

BWAHAHAHAHA! Now the plan is to make sure y'all end up here, If you end up in say Dallas you might as well not be in Texas for all the effort it takes to get up there from here. NorthCom is based at Ft. Sam, so I'm hoping DHs work will lead him to this town.

1 hour ago, DJtrippyT said:

Ooooh I’ve been meaning to make those. Were they everything you dreamed of and more?

They were crispy waffle shaped tater-tots, so they were exactly what I dreamed of.

• Like 6