The Swing of the Axe: Tanktimus Sticks to What Works

11 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I stand corrected. I was speaking about getting more than one color in a single matchstick, but the slices at the top disprove that. Thanks.

I suspect it might require paying attention to where and how you cut the match sticks, to make sure every one of them has more than one color, but that should be doable. :) 

• Like 1

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26

3 minutes ago, Xena said:

I'm glad we are all (myself definitely included) making such important use of our time these days 🙂

I agree. Making food more pleasing for all of our senses, is an incredibly important endeavor. :) 

• Like 3

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26

2 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

I suspect it might require paying attention to where and how you cut the match sticks, to make sure every one of them has more than one color, but that should be doable. :) 

Which is more attention than I want to pay when cutting carrots, if something calls for matchstick carrots I buy them pre-cut

56 minutes ago, Xena said:

I'm glad we are all (myself definitely included) making such important use of our time these days 🙂

Priorities are set properly.

52 minutes ago, Scaly Freak said:

I agree. Making food more pleasing for all of our senses, is an incredibly important endeavor. :) 

For sure.

• Like 2

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Today is a good day.

I got up and did a KB workout, 1 round and change. Work was good. We found out at work a colleague will be retiring, an Irish Priest who's been there for a long time. We don't know yet how, if at all, my schedule will be affected. I feel at peace about it and am not worried. When I got home I cooked a simple and very tasty meal.

I got some chicken thighs and put them on a lined baking sheet. I seasoned the chicken on both sides with melted butter, salt, pepper, garlic powder, dried parsley, and balsamic vinegar. I put them in a 435 degree oven (10 degrees over what it called for due to oven variation) for 20 minutes. They came out perfectly. I also nuked some butternut squash that had already been cubed to go into the couscous I also made. This was the Israeli pearl-style couscous. I brought water that had olive oil, salt, white wine vinegar and dried parsley already added to a roiling boil and took the pot off the heat and added the couscous, letting it sit for ten minutes. When that was over I added the butternut squash and a lot of grated parmesan. It was amazing. I had set the whole meal into four portions so we could eat dinner and have some for lunch the next day.

We ended up eating what was going to be for lunch the next day because we were still hungry and it was that good.

• Like 12

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

2 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

We ended up eating what was going to be for lunch the next day because we were still hungry and it was that good.

Really glad I'm done eating for the day, and therefore on a full stomach, and it's not 5 hours away while I was still fasting 😭

But still that sounds delicious AF.  I recommend googling rice with raising and carrots, it's basically the side dish version of that Filipino embutido I shared on my Instagram story about a month ago.

• Haha 1

[ Level ?? ]  Rurik the Windblade, the Blade Who Dances, Warhawk of the Steppes.

BRUTALITY 13 | FINESSE 12 | GRIT 13  | INSIGHT 15 | MOXIE 13

Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33

Current:   Cry Havoc™: Bladesong of the Warhawk

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik Harrgath became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR.

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wolfpool.

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager.

Reading this reminds me that I need to invest in a new slow cooker (old one stopped working a couple of years back, never replaced it). Also, loving the colourful carrot discussion!

• Like 1

"The old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.

From the ashes a fire shall be woken, a light from the shadows shall spring."

iatetheyeti's odyssey: part one || part two

Yeti on Flickr - Facebook - Instagram

I love multicolored carrots, they are so fun.And I think they actually have a different taste too.

• Like 1

Wisdom- 13.5 Dexterity- 10 Charisma- 11 Strength- 12 Constitution-10 

Elastigirl Just Living Life - January 3 to February 6 New Year Challenge! - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"The chief goal of living is not to merely stay alive" Mike Rowe

10 hours ago, Rurik Harrgath said:

Really glad I'm done eating for the day, and therefore on a full stomach, and it's not 5 hours away while I was still fasting 😭

But still that sounds delicious AF.  I recommend googling rice with raising and carrots, it's basically the side dish version of that Filipino embutido I shared on my Instagram story about a month ago.

That rice sounds amazing. A while back I made some rice and while it was hot mixed it with olive oil, turmeric, chopped pistachios, and golden raisins. That was incredible too.

10 hours ago, iatetheyeti said:

Reading this reminds me that I need to invest in a new slow cooker (old one stopped working a couple of years back, never replaced it). Also, loving the colourful carrot discussion!

It's always a good idea to have a crockpot on hand.

9 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

I love multicolored carrots, they are so fun.And I think they actually have a different taste too.

I'm not sure I noticed a difference in taste, but the plate sure was pretty.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

That rice sounds amazing. A while back I made some rice and while it was hot mixed it with olive oil, turmeric, chopped pistachios, and golden raisins. That was incredible too.

I'm tempted to do that with cauliflower. Recipe plz

• Like 1

[ Level ?? ]  Rurik the Windblade, the Blade Who Dances, Warhawk of the Steppes.

BRUTALITY 13 | FINESSE 12 | GRIT 13  | INSIGHT 15 | MOXIE 13

Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33

Current:   Cry Havoc™: Bladesong of the Warhawk

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik Harrgath became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR.

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wolfpool.

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager.

1 hour ago, Rurik Harrgath said:

I'm tempted to do that with cauliflower. Recipe plz

It's pretty straightforward. If you are using cauliflower, make sure the caulirice is good and hot when you mix it, as that is the only thing you need to cook, everything else is combining and stirring. I had a lot of cooked rice for this, so you'll need a lot of cooked caulirice. Add about 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil, 1 tablespoon (15ml) turmeric, some chopped pistachios (1/2-1c) and some golden raisins (equivalent volume as the nuts) and stir. The steam coming off the cauliflower should plump the raisins a little and give an amazing sweetness.

Today is a good day. Spent it with little bit. We went for a walk (her in the stroller) and I got about a mile in. I haven't really been walking for a long time, it felt good to do it again. She got fussy at dinner time but we worked through it. Dinner was really good. I took a couple of pork tenderloins and seasoned them with avocado oil, white wine vinegar, garlic powder, onion powdered, dried basil, dried oregano, and dried parsley. It took longer than expected to cook (in the oven), which happened to coincide with the baby being fussy. I got pretty hangry, but we worked through it.

The sides were a mixed green salad with chopped almonds, dried cherries and prepared balsamic vinaigrette, along with some brie baguettes. For the bread, I cut some baguettes in half and put some brie on them and put them in the oven for a few minutes to melt the brie, it was amazing.

• Like 13

8 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Today is a good day. Spent it with little bit. We went for a walk (her in the stroller) and I got about a mile in. I haven't really been walking for a long time, it felt good to do it again. She got fussy at dinner time but we worked through it. Dinner was really good. I took a couple of pork tenderloins and seasoned them with avocado oil, white wine vinegar, garlic powder, onion powdered, dried basil, dried oregano, and dried parsley. It took longer than expected to cook (in the oven), which happened to coincide with the baby being fussy. I got pretty hangry, but we worked through it.

The sides were a mixed green salad with chopped almonds, dried cherries and prepared balsamic vinaigrette, along with some brie baguettes. For the bread, I cut some baguettes in half and put some brie on them and put them in the oven for a few minutes to melt the brie, it was amazing.

This all sounds delicious. My family would really like the salad and brie bread. I'm going to add that to the list. :D  Is the weather cooling off in Tx? 

• Like 2
On 9/30/2020 at 8:09 PM, Snarkyfishguts said:

This all sounds delicious. My family would really like the salad and brie bread. I'm going to add that to the list. :D  Is the weather cooling off in Tx? 

The weather is cooler. In Texas, Fall means it doesn't feel hot outside in the mornings. We are getting lows that feel nice and cool. Lows have been in the 50s most of the week, though next week they'll only be in the 60s. The highs are in the 80s, which probably doesn't sound like fall to anyone north of the 37th parallel but to a Texan who's been dealing with highs in the 100s a big part of the summer it feels just fine. 

Today is a really good day. I had little bit all day. I the morning I did 2 full rounds of the KB workout. Then my parents came over about 11:30 with lunch and hung out for several hours. Little Bit was acting shy (She doesn't see them often) which meant she was snuggly with me which was awesome. She did take a nap for a while upstairs. I had a great visit with my parents, we had really good talks, reflecting on how we've all matured since I left home for college 21 years ago. We got deep too, it was awesome. I was able to talk about how I grew out of some things from my childhood, and I was able to say what they did that led to those things in a diplomatic way that was well received. It wasn't about forgiveness or anything, I was never really mad at them, it was just things I needed they didn't know how to do (Mom, for example, was unskilled at validating my emotions, something she acknowledged) because they were never taught. I told my mom that she had a better mother than her mother did, and I have a better mother than she did. I'm not sure I'm conveying the discussion well, but it was awesome wrapped in wholesome. I had a great time with them, then Little Bit was still cuddly after they left and we had more fun.

Dinner was also really good. I cooked chicken thighs in avocado oil with salt, pepper, and balsamic glaze. I set it aside and took the liquid out of the pan and cooked an onion I had just sliced in avocado oil with garlic, fresh chopped rosemary and a lot of balsamic glaze. When it was done I added the chicken back in. When I served it I topped it with feta. The flavors all came together really well in this dish. Rosemary can easily overpower other things, but here it was a note that fit in the melody well. The saltiness of the feta really complimented the sweetness of the caramelized onion, and the acid of the balsamic brought it all together.

The side was sweet potatoes cut into crinkle fries I baked with salt, pepper, garlic powder, white wine vinegar and fresh chopped rosemary. 

Dinner was a great topoff to a great day. Afterward I went and picked up our grocery order.

• Like 12
  • That's Metal 1

13 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

We got deep too, it was awesome. I was able to talk about how I grew out of some things from my childhood, and I was able to say what they did that led to those things in a diplomatic way that was well received. It wasn't about forgiveness or anything, I was never really mad at them, it was just things I needed they didn't know how to do (Mom, for example, was unskilled at validating my emotions, something she acknowledged) because they were never taught. I told my mom that she had a better mother than her mother did, and I have a better mother than she did. I'm not sure I'm conveying the discussion well, but it was awesome wrapped in wholesome. I had a great time with them, then Little Bit was still cuddly after they left and we had more fun.

Sounds like a good conversation. And probably very encouraging for your mom. It's easy as a parent who is now done raising a child to look back and see all the things we wished we had done better, so it is good to hear how God is using even those things to help you adult child mature.

• Like 6

Wisdom- 13.5 Dexterity- 10 Charisma- 11 Strength- 12 Constitution-10 

Elastigirl Just Living Life - January 3 to February 6 New Year Challenge! - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"The chief goal of living is not to merely stay alive" Mike Rowe

11 hours ago, deftona said:

That sounds like a great conversation with your family - some things really just need to be said for no other reason than the need to get them said, right?

It really was, and it put me in a great headspace.

2 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Sounds like a good conversation. And probably very encouraging for your mom. It's easy as a parent who is now done raising a child to look back and see all the things we wished we had done better, so it is good to hear how God is using even those things to help you adult child mature.

:D 

Today is a good day. I'm at work a couple of hours earlier, a temporary adjustment to having a co-worker out. I was still in a good mood today, so that was fun. Little Bit and I had a good morning, the weather was good outside so we spent a lot of time in the front Yard with our hands on trees. She's my little Ranger. She was fussy around lunch time, a combo of teething and needing a nap. Lunch was really good.

I cooked some diced onion, diced celery, and diced carrots in avocado oil with salt, pepper, minced garlic, and white wine vinegar for five minutes, then I added 64 oz chicken broth and brought it to a boil. Once it was boiling I added a cup and a half of orzo and some thyme sprigs tied together. I let that cook for a while, then added some meatballs I had baked in the oven (they were frozen pre-made ones) and some baby spinach to wilt. I let it sit on the stove for a while to let the flavors merge. It was amazing.

• Like 10

Lil' Bit the Little Ranger is awesome.

I'm really glad you had such a great conversation with your folks. It's really hard to have that talk in a way that acknowledges you had unmet needs but found a way to move forward in a way that stops that pattern for the next generation. You'll make different mistakes, but they won't be what you learned from your parents and grandparents. And making that choice to be break patterns requires a level of problem solving and reasoning a lot of people don't develop until much later in life. You have a lot to be proud of, Tank. You're a rarity. :)

• Like 2

I finally caught up! And there is so much awesomeness happening in this thread. You're nailing this whole life thing.

• Like 1

Level 69 Battle Kitten

Profile photo is ancient but I'm too lazy to change it. 

Battle Log | Current Challenge

MyFitnessPal | Fitbit | Duolingo

Ici je vis la vie que j'ai choisie

Je suis partie pour reconstruire ma vie

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

On 10/2/2020 at 5:55 PM, Snarkyfishguts said:

Lil' Bit the Little Ranger is awesome.

I'm really glad you had such a great conversation with your folks. It's really hard to have that talk in a way that acknowledges you had unmet needs but found a way to move forward in a way that stops that pattern for the next generation. You'll make different mistakes, but they won't be what you learned from your parents and grandparents. And making that choice to be break patterns requires a level of problem solving and reasoning a lot of people don't develop until much later in life. You have a lot to be proud of, Tank. You're a rarity. :)

Thank you very much for those kind words.

1 hour ago, fleaball said:

I finally caught up! And there is so much awesomeness happening in this thread. You're nailing this whole life thing.

Thanks. It comes on the shoulders of a lot of days where I didn't nail it.

Today is a good day. Did not workout because I'm on call from 7a-11p (with my colleauge retiring we had to scramble to cover the weekend). I normally work 3p-11p, but the trade-off for being on call is I can work an 8 hour shift anywhere in between 7a-11p and be on call for the rest of the time. It's ok in the short term. Didn't cook for the same reason. It was still a good day. I got home to eat dinner with my family and help put the baby to bed, something I never get to do on Saturday. I'll also be more rested for church since I'll be home all evening unless I get called in, which is unlikely. Even with call ending at 11, I'll be HOME at 11, instead of waiting till 11:23 to clock out and getting home at 11:45.

• Like 6

17 hours ago, Xena said:

How does being on call work? Is it that you get called in if someone is really upset? or dying? or actually dies? or specifically requests a visit? 

Just curious.

Yes.  Ideally we have a chaplain in house and on the clock the whole time. It isn't always possible. When someone is on call they get a small fee ($2 per hour). If, however, one must go in, t hy at person gets their hourly rate. The minimum paid is two hours, and you likely won't take two hours to handle a call. 

• Like 4

Used the rainbow carrots in my rice for meal prep this week :) unfortunately you can't really tell hah

20201004_185641.jpg

• Like 4
Spezzy, the Arcane Skirmisher
Chaotic Good Quarter Elf Slayer/Magus
STR: 21 / DEX: 17 / CON: 14 / INT: 15 / CHA 15
“There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind.”
1 hour ago, spezzy said:

Used the rainbow carrots in my rice for meal prep this week :) unfortunately you can't really tell hah

There are three different colors of matchsticks, you just don't see a lot of the purpleish ones.

Today is a good day. Little bit was up from 2-4:30 with teething pain, I didn't realize it at first, Sra. Tanque let me sleep. She did tell me at one point Little Bit climbed out of her crib, we may have to convert it to a toddler bed soon. While she's big enough physically, she's still a one-year old in every other respect, which means she'd be out of that bed all the time if there were nothing keeping her in. We're gonna have to figure out what to do soon though. Because of the sleep lost we all slept in till about 8:30 and made the decision to watch church online rather than rush to get ready and go in. We found out watching the service that the theater where we have been having services is shutting down again. This is not due to local covid issues. The chain (Regal) is suspending operations worldwide due to decreased ticket sales because no big movies are being released this year (so it's due to global covid issues). I don't know what that means for services. Then our church posted a couple of hours after the service saying one of our trailers was stolen from the storage facility. I'm sure it and everything in it was insured, but still. 

We had lunch, which I made. I put mayo on one side of some boneless skinless chicken thighs and dredged that through a mixture of panko breadcrumbs and dried sage, then put them crust side down in some oil and fried them for about 5 minutes, then flipped and fried the other side. I served it with a baked sweet potato and a salad made with toasted walnuts, baby spinach, dried cherries and lime vinaigrette. After lunch we did laundry (all done and put away) and I got a very fussy baby down for a nap. Dinner was bacon, eggs, and potatoes. And as I type the baby just threw up all over everything up in her room. I'm off to help.

• Like 8

46 minutes ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

Wow, stealing from a church is low.  Just low. 

Poor lil' bit. Teething is no fun. :( 

I mean, if you don't believe in God, stealing from a church is no different from stealing from anything else. Also, the trailer has no church logo on it, and was in a storage facility, so I doubt the thief knew they were stealing from a church (or would have cared if they did).

So the cleanup from the puke wasn't so bad. 

• Like 1