• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

WhiteGhost

WhiteGhost Enters the Beyond Times

I sympathize with your headspace in terms of moving on to the next thing. Much of my focus is on next month and so a lot of what I'm doing right now just kind of feels geared toward that. It makes living in the present a bit more difficult, but OTOH it's nice to have a target to aim at again.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Mr_Willes said:

It pains me a bit to read this, but i'm also really glad you are as flexible as you are to making this thing work as often as possible!

Deadpool Stupid GIF - Deadpool Stupid WorthIt - Discover & Share GIFs

1 minute ago, Kishi said:

I sympathize with your headspace in terms of moving on to the next thing. Much of my focus is on next month and so a lot of what I'm doing right now just kind of feels geared toward that. It makes living in the present a bit more difficult, but OTOH it's nice to have a target to aim at again.

I don't know what it is but this seems to be a thing for a lot of people here.  Here's to a much better next challenge!

---------------------------------------

I was feeling under the weather yesterday (and also still very sore) so I took a rest day.  I spent most of the day just sitting around working on my D&D campaign and coming up with ideas for my next challenge.  Ghostess brought back a bunch of yak meat (jerky or otherwise preserved) so I have been eating a bunch of that recently.  It tastes pretty much just like beef, but a little leaner.

Lunch was yak based adventure meal 

And dinner was a Yak Bowl, with yak and bok choy over rice.

I probably could have combined those into a single IG post but my brain wasn't firing on all cylinders yesterday.

When Ghostess came home from work she had a bag full of roof rats pigeons that someone had given her, so now I need to figure out how I am going to cook those.

• Like 7

On 10/10/2020 at 11:25 PM, WhiteGhost said:

As you know I took you up on this and did 10 spins.  I did not enjoy that one bit and the room kept spinning for way too long afterwards, but all in all it was not nearly as bad as I thought it would be.  I might even do it again today :D 

It is very much a "short term pain for long term gain" exercise, yes.

On 10/10/2020 at 11:25 PM, WhiteGhost said:

I do, in fact, have more kiwi and mango than I can finish in my house right now and I need to something with it fast.  However, I am not really sold on this dehydrated fruit thing.  I have had both (kiwi and mango) but they are soo filled with sugar to be basically just candy (and not even delicious candy at that).  Also, I don't have a kiln or anything for it.  Is this something that can be done without a lot of time/equipment investment?

Do you mean storebought, or homemade end up too sugary? They do end up like candy, kind of, I guess. I don't have a huge sweet tooth and I really like them. I do have a dehydrator, but I gather you can dry them in the oven by setting it to about 200 degrees Fahrenheit and flipping them occasionally till they dry (3-8 hours, depending on how thick you cut them and how juicy they are). Ideally, they'd be on the less juicy side and cut relatively thin (the recipes always say 1/4 inch; I usually go thinner than that and end up with an end product that's kind of crispy). It'd be an all-day project, but mostly hands-off. In my opinion, it's worth trying at least once just to see if you like it. You need a kitchen experiment since your sausages didn't pan out. :P

• Like 1

On 10/13/2020 at 11:29 AM, juliebarkley said:

It is very much a "short term pain for long term gain" exercise, yes.

I certainly hope so.  I already did my spins earlier today as part of my workout.  Have you done yours yet?

On 10/13/2020 at 11:29 AM, juliebarkley said:

Do you mean storebought, or homemade end up too sugary? They do end up like candy, kind of, I guess. I don't have a huge sweet tooth and I really like them. I do have a dehydrator, but I gather you can dry them in the oven by setting it to about 200 degrees Fahrenheit and flipping them occasionally till they dry (3-8 hours, depending on how thick you cut them and how juicy they are). Ideally, they'd be on the less juicy side and cut relatively thin (the recipes always say 1/4 inch; I usually go thinner than that and end up with an end product that's kind of crispy). It'd be an all-day project, but mostly hands-off. In my opinion, it's worth trying at least once just to see if you like it. You need a kitchen experiment since your sausages didn't pan out. :P

Store bought.  Well, marketplace-dried-fruit-stand bought.  I will give the oven thing a try and see how that pans out.  

21 hours ago, Mr_Willes said:

You win the internet today (and tomorrow, wrt to timezones ;) )

I Win GIFs | Tenor

Yesterday was another one of those days that just kind of went by without anything in particular to talk about.  Lets see if I can think of anything at all of note...

My homebrew D&D game finally started their first combat encounter and I ended up dropping a player below 0HP in the first round.  I was worried that I had seriously overpowered my monster but the rest of the group seems to be holding their own against it so far.  I think it should turn out OK for them.  

I was preparing some stuff for my next challenge and decided I wanted to start doing that particular thing immediately so I learned how to play Sweet Violets on the ukulele.

I made some spaghetti with Ikea meatballs for dinner which was easy and tasty.  I actually managed to make exactly 2 servings of sauce so I didn't have a bunch of leftover like I usually do. 

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, WhiteGhost said:

Have you done yours yet?

Hush. I will do them after I eat.

No. No. That is a terrible idea. I will do them before food.

6 minutes ago, WhiteGhost said:

I was preparing some stuff for my next challenge and decided I wanted to start doing that particular thing immediately so I learned how to play Sweet Violets on the ukulele.

Anti-procrastination! I love it.

I'm sure there's a great GIF for the sauce perfection, but as we both know I have no GIF game. It's very impressive. May you achieve this perfection many times in future.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

My homebrew D&D game finally started their first combat encounter and I ended up dropping a player below 0HP in the first round.  I was worried that I had seriously overpowered my monster but the rest of the group seems to be holding their own against it so far.  I think it should turn out OK for them.  

Having so much fun with it!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

6 hours ago, Mr_Willes said:

And for extra fun, we now get to RP out the fact that a couple of us were almost eaten! (I still maintain a full suit of armor would prevent actual eating from happening.) :D 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, juliebarkley said:

No. No. That is a terrible idea. I will do them before food.

Yes, before food is a very good approach

16 hours ago, Mr_Willes said:

We'll se how much fun it is when Night is the one being grappled by some monster with an appetite for cat :P 

9 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

And for extra fun, we now get to RP out the fact that a couple of us were almost eaten! (I still maintain a full suit of armor would prevent actual eating from happening.) :D 

Have you seen the beak on that thing?  It eats adventurers like you for lunch!

-----------------------------------

I was finally over whatever bug I had enough to make it to the park for a workout for the first time this week.  I did a bunch of upper body stuff and got myself properly rekt.  I was also doing a bit of mobility and flexibility stuff while I was there.  At one point I was doing som pike stretching on the stall bars and a guy came over to help.  He is kind of the flexibility guru and likes to give advice and seems to be generally knowledgeable.    He looked at what I was doing and suggested that I needed to change my position up a bit to get a better stretch.  I couldn't get my body to do what he was suggesting so he came over and put a hand on my knee to guide it into place.  As soon as he felt it, he looked at me and said "your knee is not supposed to feel like that"  He suggested I stop trying to do whatever stretch I was doing and take things down a level and focus on some more basic stretches and that if I proceeded to try what I was doing I would very likely hurt myself.  I decided to take his advice and scaled things back :) 

For my spins, I decided to do a few 360 jumps, so would jump in the air, spin 360 degrees and try to land in the exact spot I took off from.  It was a lot harder than I expected it would be.

When I got home, I decided to give the whole dried fruit a try.  I peeled & sliced a kiwi and a pear and threw them in the oven.  I need to remember that my oven runs hot and lowered the temps because after a few hours they were getting very dark but still not completely dried

They did taste quite a bit better than the store bought ones.

I did a bunch of shopping in the evening (all online) because we were running out of a bunch of things.  I feel bad for the poor delivery guy because all the stuff we bought will weigh a ton.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, WhiteGhost said:

Pfft. That thing has never met an adventurer like me! 😎

• Like 1

6 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

They did taste quite a bit better than the store bought ones.

:) Pears are a fun one. The taste is quite nice, though the texture can be a bit gritty. They benefit from being dipped in diluted lemon or orange juice to prevent browning. I forgot to mention that part. Browned kiwi might not taste too good. Still, successful kitchen witchery!

5 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

Excuse me, but I do believe that I am the one currently on the menu! (or would be, if Reggie hadn't murderified it)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, juliebarkley said:

Excuse me, but I do believe that I am the one currently on the menu! (or would be, if Reggie hadn't murderified it)

Only briefly, thankfully. And I have magic healing powers, so you'll be back up in no time. 😇

• Like 1

On 10/11/2020 at 8:12 PM, WhiteGhost said:

I made some chicken & broccoli stir fry for dinner, which was good but it seems like a less than ideal way to prepare broccoli so I don't think I will make this again.

Also not a fan of the broccoli stir fry. I always have to blanch broccoli before frying it or it ends up raw; and even if I get it cooked evenly, the pieces are way too big once everything’s out on a plate.

Dry-frying seems like it might do a better job of turning out decent broccoli. I’ve had a recipe for dry-fried cauliflower kicking around for a while, and Chinese/long-stem cauliflower seems to be a lot easier to get into small pieces because it’s so spindly. Have you ever tried cooking with that, by chance?

On 10/12/2020 at 5:01 PM, WhiteGhost said:

When Ghostess came home from work she had a bag full of roof rats pigeons that someone had given her, so now I need to figure out how I am going to cook those.

tenor.gif

I always wanted to try pigeon...

11 hours ago, juliebarkley said:

They benefit from being dipped in diluted lemon or orange juice to prevent browning. I forgot to mention that part. Browned kiwi might not taste too good. Still, successful kitchen witchery!

Yep, citric acid would work, or ascorbic acid (vitamin C) would be even more effective. Or if you really wanted to bring out the big guns, a sulphite dip from a sodium/potassium metabisulfite solution (which i just learned after buying some for cider-making). Science!!

And 100% agree, browning does affect flavor in fruits, just like browning affects the flavor of a fresh apple, or like herbs turning brown turns their flavor swampy. That’s not to imply unoxidized dried fruit would necessarily taste better — it would just taste different.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, PaulG said:

And 100% agree, browning does affect flavor in fruits, just like browning affects the flavor of a fresh apple, or like herbs turning brown turns their flavor swampy. That’s not to imply unoxidized dried fruit would necessarily taste better — it would just taste different.

Except that for the kiwi, the browning was from having the oven temperature a bit too high. Kiwi doesn't oxidize IIRC, but pear does.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, juliebarkley said:

Except that for the kiwi, the browning was from having the oven temperature a bit too high. Kiwi doesn't oxidize IIRC, but pear does.

Good point, I didn’t know whether kiwi oxidized or not. So the browning was from sugar caramelization, I suppose!

Hmm... kiwi caramel...

tenor.gif

• Like 1

On 10/15/2020 at 2:47 AM, WhiteGhost said:

We'll se how much fun it is when Night is the one being grappled by some monster with an appetite for cat :P 

Dutch proverb: Een kat in het nauw maakt rare sprongen.
Translated: Desperate times call for desperate measures.

Literal translation: A cat backed into a corner will jump in odd ways.

Just keep that in mind 😛 On top of that, Night is only going to be up close and personal for CHA related things ;)

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

On 10/14/2020 at 5:10 PM, Scaly Freak said:

On 10/15/2020 at 2:47 AM, WhiteGhost said:

On 10/15/2020 at 4:05 AM, Scaly Freak said:

On 10/15/2020 at 9:18 AM, juliebarkley said:

19 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

Only briefly, thankfully. And I have magic healing powers, so you'll be back up in no time. 😇

See all good fun!!!

• Like 1

On 10/15/2020 at 10:05 AM, Scaly Freak said:

And now the poor thing never will again :( 

On 10/15/2020 at 3:18 PM, juliebarkley said:

:) Pears are a fun one. The taste is quite nice, though the texture can be a bit gritty. They benefit from being dipped in diluted lemon or orange juice to prevent browning. I forgot to mention that part. Browned kiwi might not taste too good. Still, successful kitchen witchery!

It depends on the type of pear, but I actually like that gritty texture, much more appealing to me than apples.  Good to know about the lemon juice thing, I will need to keep that in mind for next time.

16 hours ago, PaulG said:

Dry-frying seems like it might do a better job of turning out decent broccoli. I’ve had a recipe for dry-fried cauliflower kicking around for a while, and Chinese/long-stem cauliflower seems to be a lot easier to get into small pieces because it’s so spindly. Have you ever tried cooking with that, by chance?

I usually stir fry and then let them steam in the wok for a little bit afterwards and they come out nicely.  I just don't think they matched well with the flavor profile.  I haven't ever done the cauliflower but Ghostess does them really well.

16 hours ago, PaulG said:

I always wanted to try pigeon...

I've had it a few different ways before but they just have so little meat on them that I always just end up wondering what the point even is.  I have enough that I could just experiment around with different styles/techniques and see if I can come up anything worth repeating.

12 hours ago, PaulG said:

Hmm... kiwi caramel...

It tasted much better than it looked

2 hours ago, Mr_Willes said:

Just keep that in mind 😛 On top of that, Night is only going to be up close and personal for CHA related things ;)

Hmmm, this sounds like a challenge to me :P 

-----------------------------------------------

Well, I think I forgot to post this morning so y'all get a twofer.

Yesterday was D&D day for my LMoP crew and we had a good time finishing out the Redbrand Hideout and getting set up for a bunch of side quests in preparation for the big finale.  I have to say, I never cease to be amazed at the kinds of ideas people have when they play these modules, things that were never contemplated by the writers and so I end up having to wing it a lot.  It is good fun, though.  

That took up pretty much the whole morning and then I spent most of the afternoon doing a bunch of prep on my next challenge and then a bit of Skyrim.  I also got in some uke practice, which has been a rare thing this challenge.

Today started out with a trip to the park for a workout session.  I had intended to do some leg work but I just didn't feel like it when I got there so I did a bunch of whatever I felt like instead.  One of those was Russian Dips, which is a thing that I couldn't do last year but seem to have figured out somehow over the course of this year (even though I barely worked on them)

I came home and finished up my next challenge and got it put up in the new challenge folder and then had a late lunch.  Ghostess recently bought a panini press so I wanted to try that out. I sliced up a bunch of yak and threw it on a sandwich with some chees and pickles.  It came out really quite tasty.  I think this may be a regular for me until we finish up all the yak.

Dinner was not quite as good.  In fact, I may or may not have eaten nothing but ice cream...  Oh well, tomorrow will be better.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, WhiteGhost said:

Ghostess recently bought a panini press so I wanted to try that out. I sliced up a bunch of yak and threw it on a sandwich with some chees and pickles.  It came out really quite tasty.  I think this may be a regular for me until we finish up all the yak.

Ooow nice, a tosti ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

One of those was Russian Dips, which is a thing that I couldn't do last year but seem to have figured out somehow over the course of this year (even though I barely worked on them)

It's so funny when that happens!

2 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Dinner was not quite as good.  In fact, I may or may not have eaten nothing but ice cream...  Oh well, tomorrow will be better.

Sounds tasty to me. 😂

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Mr_Willes said:

Top 5 Wednesday: Favorite M/M Couples | The Reading Turtle Duck

westley | Tumblr

23 hours ago, Mr_Willes said:

Ooow nice, a tosti ;)

Is that the kids are calling them these days :P 

22 hours ago, raptron said:

It's so funny when that happens!

Super random, but I'll take it

22 hours ago, raptron said:

Sounds tasty to me. 😂

Perhaps I should have more specific in what I meant by "good" because it was absolutely good in the tasty sense :D 

21 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

This made me laugh. :D 

😂

-----------------------------------

Today was a pretty restful day.  I was supposed to have my Family D&D game this morning but no one showed up and I couldn't get ahold of anyone.  Not sure where they all were and I hope they are OK.  So far still no response from anyone so I'm hoping they are just busy.

Instead of that, I spent the morning just staring at my phone for a couple of hours.  We had our in-laws over for lunch which was Hot Pot.  I always like when we have hot pot because it is delicious and super easy to prepare, but I always stuff myself to the point of being uncomfortable.  Hot pot and portion control do not go well together for me :D 

After the in-laws left, I washed the dishes and cleaned up the kitchen and then took a nap.  Our teacher for Sunday School won't be able to make it tomorrow so I will be substituting for him which means this evening has all been preparing for that.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Not a bad day today.

I had church in the morning which I usually enjoy and today was no different.  My lesson for Sunday School went pretty well, I spent some time comparing the dumpsterfire of a year this has been to the reference in in the old testament about God being like a refiner's fire.  It was a very interesting discussion

After church Ghostlet had class and while was there we had some houseguests who left us with way more fruit than we will be able to eat (A case each of mangos, pomegranates, and some kind of grape-like things) so we need to figure out how to pass some of it on to other people.

In the evening I made some Chicken Tikka Masala paired with Deffy Naan and it was sublime.  Ghostess said it was by far the most delicious thing I have ever made, even surpassing my tiramisu and pumpkin pie :)  

And with that, this challenge is over.  I don't think I really did much on my goals, especially seeing as I can't even remember what they were.  It did get me well situated for the next challenge, which is super ambitious but I think I can do it.

New challenge is here:

• Like 7