Jump to content

Wobbegong the Ovovore


Wobbegong

Inspired by WhiteGhost and because I just wanted to have a poll,  

6 members have voted

  1. 1. What should I read next?

    • "The Devil in the White City: Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair that Changed America" by Erik Larson (heavily researced historical fiction about the 1893 World's Fair and the serial killer who hunted there)
      5
    • "18 Tiny Deaths: The Untold Story of Frances Glessner Lee and the Invention of Modern Forensics" by Bruce Goldfarb (a biography; exactly what it says on the tin)
      0
    • "Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers" by Mary Roach (an exploration of the science and uses of cadavers through history, including some notable case studies)
      1


Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, Wobbegong said:

"This isn't America." And to the girl, "You shouldn't have cut them so short." What's the point of saying something like that? It's not like she can fix it now, what is she supposed to do, get fringe extensions?? They'll grow out in a month or two anyway, it's just bangs, no big deal.

 

Well, that's my opinion, but apparently it is a big deal because after class the teacher sought out that class's homeroom teacher and pulled him aside to explain the situation and instruct him that he needed to have a conversation with the student about it. She also took the opportunity to remind me that people might wear their hair in all kinds of crazy styles in America (and ok, excuse me, have you seen some of the haircuts our kids wear? Do you remember the boy who graduated last year whose hair was short everywhere except on top and at the very bottom of the back, making the world's most flamboyant mullet??) and that we have a strict dress code at this school and that this student will give a bad impression of herself and the school in interviews if she's seen with bangs like that. She's not interviewing this year, but she can't be allowed to think that hairstyle is appropriate, because what if she does it again just before interviews next year! In these situations, don't be so forgiving to the students, they need adults to model the importance of strictly adhering to the rules.

 

Yikes, that's kind of harsh. :( 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
8 hours ago, Hazard said:

*Hepburn Stare Activated*

 

audrey-hepburn-hair-ponytail-image2.jpg

Yeah, honestly, Audrey's bangs are too short too. She won't be able to get into high school with a haircut like that. For shame, Audrey. /s

 

Also hiiiiiii

 

6 hours ago, Jupiter said:

Yikes, that's kind of harsh. :( 

I feel I should point out, since I seem to have neglected to before, that the child in question is thirteen years old. The decisions she makes about her bangs at this age should not be treated as though they are in any way near to "this will make or break your future" territory. That's way harsh.

 

7 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Neutral Good

Lawful Neutral

Why you gotta come for me like this? It's too true. You know, sometimes I come to the forums and complain that I don't feel like I know what morality is and my polite veneer is just an act I put on for self-preservation and convenience (even though it's often inconvenient), and then something like this happens and I'm like "You know what, fuck this, these are goddamn children, I will defend their right to grow and explore and make mistakes along the way to my dying breath, COME AT ME JAPANESE TRADITIONS, DO YOU EVEN LIFT?!"

 

But I actually don't lift, myself, and I don't stand a chance. Sometimes the best I can do is just try to say "I think she looks cute" at the opportune moment.

  • Like 6
Link to comment

Today was a big busy day! I had preschool* in the morning and it pretty much went as expected, following the same playbook as I did earlier in the week at the other school. The same girl who cried two months ago cried again, but this time because she got tagged twice in a row. I was actually kind of relieved to discover she's an easy crier, because it makes me feel slightly** less bad about last time. There's also a kid there who is super forward and incites the entire rest of the school to be ultra cuddly by just being all over me super publicly, and although I know I'm probably not supposed to be touching the kids so much since Corona, as a very touch-starved person I really appreciate that kid.

 

I also met a couple of new students today at preschool. I get there about an hour early because that's how my carpool schedule shakes out, so I usually spend that hour prepping for my classes or browsing reddit on my phone or whatever, but today one of the teachers kept coming up to me and trying to tell me something very mysterious about a student whose name I didn't recognize (which is all of them at preschool). All I caught from the convoluted explanation was "speaks Japanese" and "September" and then suddenly a little girl was being thrust at me. She was clearly a new student, and the teacher had said she spoke Japanese, so I tried asking her where she was from and got a blank stare. I tried again with a different vocab word and the stare became slightly frustrated. So I tried in English and suddenly she blossomed. Turns out she's from America.***

 

So yeah we chatted for like an hour. She had a really poor grasp of the more linear aspects of time so when I tried to figure out how long she was here for all she said was "a week," but when I asked how long she had been in Japan the answer to that was "a week, since last month," and August was more than a week ago so? She also told me it was her sister's birthday, but upon further inquiry revealed it was not her sister's birthday today; in fact, the birthday was tomorrow, but the party had already occurred. So I was even more lost. But overall she was a really funny kid who kept trying to affect adult ways of speaking but clearly had no idea what she was talking about. My favorite part of the conversation went like this:

Her: I have a brother, too. His name is A__.

Me: Oh wow, my best friend has a brother named A__ too.

Her: Who is your best friend?

Me: [Very seriously] Her name is S__ but I don't think you know her.

Her: [Equally seriously] You're right, I don't think I ever met her.

 

Her little sister, who is just barely four (or maybe four tomorrow? one of them told me she's four, but she was in the 3yo group) eventually joined us but was mostly content to let her big sister do the talking. She spent most of the conversation tugging on my fingernails, which both sisters eventually agreed were "pretty because they're long" but I should promptly trim them and apply nail polish. They were very concerned that my toenails were also long (they're not, don't worry). 

 

Anyway they both totally cracked me up and the teachers who passed by as we were chatting kept commenting to each other "Their pronunciation is so impressive" and "They speak English so easily" which was also hilarious since we were all native speakers.

 

But the best part was the reminder. Most of the time when I try to talk with really little kids here, I feel completely lost. I'm used to feeling lost a lot of the time anyway, because I'm only passably fluent, not fluent-fluent, so with little kids I usually just assume they're too young to realize I'm an idiot and try to meet me at my level. False! Little kids talk in vague circles and actually make no sense even in my native language. They use weird words for things**** and have an underdeveloped grasp of the principles by which we adults live our lives. Being reminded of this was incredibly reassuring!

 

Between my morning preschool adventures and my afternoon at middle school, I stopped by the grocery store to pick up some sour cream for a cheesecake I'll be making this weekend. But I forgot to get more eggs! I don't have enough on hand to eat five tomorrow, so I went back to the store after work, but when I got to the checkout I realized I forgot my wallet and had to go back home and get it, which meant an extra ten minutes schlepping around in the gross humid heat. When I got back to the store, I found the cashier had had my items reshelved. But I finally got all my stuff and got checked out and back home and now I can chill and enjoy my Friday evening. Another week down! How about everyone else, how have your days been?

 

 

*have I been saying kindergarten or preschool here? It's actually preschool but everyone uses the direct translation of kindergarten, but I don't want to be confusing. It is non-academic "school" for children aged 3-5, which is probably called different things in different countries now that I think about it... whatever

**Only slightly because I was only feeling slightly bad... she was totally friendly to me by the end of our class last time, so I wasn't too worried.

***I can't get any more specific than that. I tried asking her what state she's from, but her reply was "I don't know. Only my dad knows." Sounds secretive lol but whatever, she's five. I didn't know the difference between Nevada and Novato at that age. (One was a neighboring state and the other was where the nearest Costco was. A friend of mine moved to Novato and I thought I would never see her again. Imagine my shock when she turned up the next day at school, as if revived from death)

****the older girl kept referring to Japanese and English as Japan and America, respectively; she did not recognize the words English, Japanese, or language, so I didn't push it -- she's five, I'm sure she'll figure it out eventually

  • Like 7
Link to comment
12 hours ago, Wobbegong said:

Why you gotta come for me like this? It's too true. You know, sometimes I come to the forums and complain that I don't feel like I know what morality is and my polite veneer is just an act I put on for self-preservation and convenience (even though it's often inconvenient), and then something like this happens and I'm like "You know what, fuck this, these are goddamn children, I will defend their right to grow and explore and make mistakes along the way to my dying breath, COME AT ME JAPANESE TRADITIONS, DO YOU EVEN LIFT?!"

 

But I actually don't lift, myself, and I don't stand a chance. Sometimes the best I can do is just try to say "I think she looks cute" at the opportune moment.

It's not your job to change Japan, that would be something Lawful Stupid would attempt. You were kind when you had the chance, that was good. The other teacher is not your responsibility, so it does not negatively affect your alignment that you didn't choose to smite her with power from the Heavens.

  • Like 3

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Link to comment
On 9/6/2020 at 8:22 AM, Wobbegong said:

I can eat five eggs for breakfast if I don't eat anything else for breakfast and if I don't eat any more eggs later in the day.

I was WRONG

 

On 9/12/2020 at 6:42 AM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

It's not your job to change Japan, that would be something Lawful Stupid would attempt. You were kind when you had the chance, that was good. The other teacher is not your responsibility, so it does not negatively affect your alignment that you didn't choose to smite her with power from the Heavens.

I don't think I have any heavenly power with which to smite her regardless. I did at least convince her to introduce some English-speaking culture to the special ed class, since she has ultimate authority over the curriculum there. That was a win. (Most of the standardized curriculum chooses to explore Japanese culture during English class. The reasoning is that it's easier for kids to improve their English knowledge when studying things they already know, but the end result is that English class is really boring and kids don't get any exposure to foreign cultures. The general attitude seems to be that Japanese students will only use English in real life when they're interacting with tourists who come to visit Japan, not in their own international travels. Most kids have the impression that foreign travel is pointless because Japan is the best country, so why would they ever want to leave? It's weird.)

 

This same teacher is also constantly fighting me about the UK being four countries. Maps in Japan show just one country (all of England, Scotland, Wales, and N. Ireland are a single color with no dividing lines), the Japanese word for the UK is "Igirisu" which is synonymous with England, and in the teacher's words, "If they all have the same queen, then they all have the same government. How are they not the same country?" I'm not an expert in the history or politics of the UK, all I know is England conquered all its neighbors and the barrier between N. Ireland and Ireland was a huge problem (but the relationship between England and Ireland has pretty much always been "a problem" one way or another) and people were freaking out about what was gonna happen with that with Brexit but then Covid happened and I never heard anything else about it.

 

All that is to say if anyone has the Cliff's notes so I can explain this to the teacher in a way that will help her understand, I would appreciate it. I do my best to stick up for the Welsh, Scottish, and North Irish, as I know they often get lumped in under the English umbrella just for all being British together. But I don't know enough to be a good ally.

 

On 9/12/2020 at 7:11 AM, Tateman said:

Sounds like the preschool has been quite the adventure so far :) Hopefully, the cheesecake turns out good. I'm tempted to make another keto one for myself. I just have an ever growing list of things I want to make haha 

Cheesecake is getting postponed to tomorrow. This is not ideal because it will mean mixing and baking Monday afternoon and delivering Tuesday morning, which means if something goes wrong I'm screwed, but hopefully it will be fine. Even striking cheesecake and the making of flashcards off my list, and having been productive all day, I'm less than halfway through the stuff I'm supposed to get done today. I'd've done more tomorrow, and I told my friend I was gonna have to cancel on our regular hang out date, but then she came to me with bad news and I felt like I should comfort her so I spent the regular amount of time hanging out with her.

 

On the plus side, seven of the items on my list today are a work project I have to have finished by Monday (broken into chunks on the list), so once that's done I'll have freed up a bunch of time and brain space for the coming week. AND I have a four day weekend next week! And I have been making progress cleaning today, even in light of all the desk work I have to do, and I got two loads of laundry done (although no clue if they've actually dried at all -- fingers crossed) so hopefully I'll at least have clean clothes and a clean space and can relax about that a little. Blargh. Too many things.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
12 hours ago, Wobbegong said:

This same teacher is also constantly fighting me about the UK being four countries. Maps in Japan show just one country (all of England, Scotland, Wales, and N. Ireland are a single color with no dividing lines), the Japanese word for the UK is "Igirisu" which is synonymous with England, and in the teacher's words, "If they all have the same queen, then they all have the same government. How are they not the same country?" I'm not an expert in the history or politics of the UK, all I know is England conquered all its neighbors and the barrier between N. Ireland and Ireland was a huge problem (but the relationship between England and Ireland has pretty much always been "a problem" one way or another) and people were freaking out about what was gonna happen with that with Brexit but then Covid happened and I never heard anything else about it.

 

All that is to say if anyone has the Cliff's notes so I can explain this to the teacher in a way that will help her understand, I would appreciate it. I do my best to stick up for the Welsh, Scottish, and North Irish, as I know they often get lumped in under the English umbrella just for all being British together. But I don't know enough to be a good ally.

 

As I understand the short version is that Briton is the Island and the UK comprises England, Scotland, N. Ireland and Wales, but the unity and divisions are fuzzy. I think it's somewhat like the divisions between the federal and State Governments in the US, but with different terminology and different divisions of responsibility. Maybe @deftona, @Jarric, or @iatetheyeti (who actually live on the island) could correct any mistaken impressions.

  • Like 2

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Link to comment

 

13 hours ago, Wobbegong said:

This same teacher is also constantly fighting me about the UK being four countries. Maps in Japan show just one country (all of England, Scotland, Wales, and N. Ireland are a single color with no dividing lines), the Japanese word for the UK is "Igirisu" which is synonymous with England, and in the teacher's words, "If they all have the same queen, then they all have the same government. How are they not the same country?" I'm not an expert in the history or politics of the UK, all I know is England conquered all its neighbors and the barrier between N. Ireland and Ireland was a huge problem (but the relationship between England and Ireland has pretty much always been "a problem" one way or another) and people were freaking out about what was gonna happen with that with Brexit but then Covid happened and I never heard anything else about it.

 

All that is to say if anyone has the Cliff's notes so I can explain this to the teacher in a way that will help her understand, I would appreciate it. I do my best to stick up for the Welsh, Scottish, and North Irish, as I know they often get lumped in under the English umbrella just for all being British together. But I don't know enough to be a good ally.

 

1 hour ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

As I understand the short version is that Briton is the Island and the UK comprises England, Scotland, N. Ireland and Wales, but the unity and divisions are fuzzy. I think it's somewhat like the divisions between the federal and State Governments in the US, but with different terminology and different divisions of responsibility. Maybe @deftona, @Jarric, or @iatetheyeti (who actually live on the island) could correct any mistaken impressions.

 

Resident Scot reporting.

 

The UK is without a doubt four different countries, the queen is only a figurehead these days, and while I suppose we technically have the same government, each branch in each country operates as independently as is possible under the current union. I can't speak much for Welsh or Northern Irish history, but as for my own country's past... Recorded Scottish history starts at some point in the first century (though if I remember rightly it was a handful of centuries before it was actually called Scotland), and it remains a fully independent country right up until the Acts of Union in the 1700s (which did not merge the countries together, it merely brought them into a union). It's fair to say Scots have never exactly been content with that, and it's showing more and more these days. In the EU referendum Scotland voted to remain. Unanimously. The majority of Northern Ireland voted to remain. Wales was split. England voted leave. And thus Brexit was born. In the last parliament election it went much the same way, Scotland and Northern Ireland did not vote for the clown currently in charge, Wales was split, and England was almost solidly for said clown. If Scotland had another independence referendum, nationwide polls show it would be an overwhelming 'yes'. We are definitely not the same country.

 

That's kind of a rough sort of overview. If you want more specific or detailed information then I will be happy to supply.

 

  • Like 3

"The old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.

From the ashes a fire shall be woken, a light from the shadows shall spring."

 

 

Yeti on Flickr - Facebook - Instagram

Link to comment

I'm English, in that I was born in England. But I prefer not to define myself that way. I am human.

 

Great Britain is England, Scotland and Wales. The United Kingdom is England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. The British Isles are England, Scotland, Wales and all of Ireland. I hope that's clear. 🤣

1 hour ago, iatetheyeti said:

And thus Brexit was born. In the last parliament election it went much the same way, Scotland and Northern Ireland did not vote for the clown currently in charge, Wales was split, and England was almost solidly for said clown.

 

I don't want to be grouped with those that voted for said clown. I'm so embarrassed by this Brexit stuff.

 

If you want more information, I'd also be happy to supply. I am curious how different my education was to @iatetheyeti's.

  • Like 2

What's the best time to plant a tree?

20 years ago.

What's the second best time to plant a tree?

Now.

Link to comment
4 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

As I understand the short version is that Briton is the Island and the UK comprises England, Scotland, N. Ireland and Wales, but the unity and divisions are fuzzy. I think it's somewhat like the divisions between the federal and State Governments in the US, but with different terminology and different divisions of responsibility. Maybe @deftona, @Jarric, or @iatetheyeti (who actually live on the island) could correct any mistaken impressions.

Thanks for summoning people! The comparison to state v fed makes some sense, and perhaps even moreso if I think of England kind of like DC where it only has the fed? Maybe???

 

2 hours ago, iatetheyeti said:

Resident Scot reporting.

 

The UK is without a doubt four different countries, the queen is only a figurehead these days, and while I suppose we technically have the same government, each branch in each country operates as independently as is possible under the current union. I can't speak much for Welsh or Northern Irish history, but as for my own country's past... Recorded Scottish history starts at some point in the first century (though if I remember rightly it was a handful of centuries before it was actually called Scotland), and it remains a fully independent country right up until the Acts of Union in the 1700s (which did not merge the countries together, it merely brought them into a union). It's fair to say Scots have never exactly been content with that, and it's showing more and more these days. In the EU referendum Scotland voted to remain. Unanimously. The majority of Northern Ireland voted to remain. Wales was split. England voted leave. And thus Brexit was born. In the last parliament election it went much the same way, Scotland and Northern Ireland did not vote for the clown currently in charge, Wales was split, and England was almost solidly for said clown. If Scotland had another independence referendum, nationwide polls show it would be an overwhelming 'yes'. We are definitely not the same country.

 

That's kind of a rough sort of overview. If you want more specific or detailed information then I will be happy to supply.

Thank you for stopping by! I was not confused that it's four different countries and I know there's significant bad blood there and a lot of tension about who exactly is part of what. That's part of why I work so hard with this teacher to make sure she understands it's not all the same thing -- as an English teacher she's uniquely positioned both to encounter a larger number of native English speakers, including British ones, than the average Japanese person and she could accidentally insult them; and also she is an "expert" on English-speaking culture (not really, but the students at least assume so) and so she can use her power for good if she chooses. But it's been like pulling teeth to get her even to acknowledge that there are four countries and they're distinct. (My first success was getting her to "more than one country" which came in the form of her saying "I know there are three countries, England, Scotland, and Ireland" NO NO NO!)

 

So regarding the different governments, you all have your own heads of state (are they technically under the queen? Even though she's just a figurehead?) but what exactly is the nature of the union if everyone is so antsy? Is it just "we agree to not pick fights"? I guess with Brexit it seems like your international relations are kind of tied up together, is that true?

 

1 hour ago, cd667 said:

I'm English, in that I was born in England. But I prefer not to define myself that way. I am human.

 

Great Britain is England, Scotland and Wales. The United Kingdom is England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. The British Isles are England, Scotland, Wales and all of Ireland. I hope that's clear. 🤣

I don't want to be grouped with those that voted for said clown. I'm so embarrassed by this Brexit stuff.

 

If you want more information, I'd also be happy to supply. I am curious how different my education was to @iatetheyeti's.

Don't worry, I didn't vote for Trump either and am also super embarrassed to be in any way associated. I will give you a pass.

 

Most of what you said was clear but I have one question: the British Isles are the one island that houses England/Scotland/Wales and the other island that houses N. Ireland and Ireland, but "British" people are people from the UK, and Irish people will fight you if you call them British... is that an accurate understanding? N. Irish people do get lumped in as British though, even though they don't live in Great Britain.

 

Seriously thank you all for your help with this, I know I can look it up and I will do that also but it really helps to talk to people about it too.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Wobbegong said:

Most of what you said was clear but I have one question: the British Isles are the one island that houses England/Scotland/Wales and the other island that houses N. Ireland and Ireland, but "British" people are people from the UK, and Irish people will fight you if you call them British... is that an accurate understanding? N. Irish people do get lumped in as British though, even though they don't live in Great Britain.

 

"British" refers to Northern Irish, Scottish, English and Welsh, but a large number of those from the constituent countries would usually regard their nationality as that of the constituent country. Internationally speaking, our country is the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland in that this is our sovereign state that is a member of the UN. ( image.jpeg) and our head of state is the queen, as is the case for a lot of commonwealth countries too. The Clown is the Prime Minister, but each constituent country has their own parliament with devolved powers, with that parliament having a seat in Westminster. There are lots of cases for each constituent country shifting away from the union and becoming independent, and this English girl would put up no arguments with that because she plans to make a run for the border and leap across to Scotland if (when) they get their independence because who in their right mind wouldn't try to flee a sinking ship. Independence for Scotland was a matter of time anyway, and Brexit has sped up that timeline considerably because of the divisions it has caused. (Also, Scotland is better)

 

Irish people are definitely not British. Northern Irish people are as in The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland as this is the official name of the country. 

 

England vs Great Britain vs United Kingdom Explained – Brilliant Maps

  • Like 4

I'm more than adequate. Leave Kanye out of this. 

Profile picture credit : NF's resident super artist - NinjaKitten

Link to comment

Just to add a bit to what everyone else has said, things are slightly different from an Irish perspective. The Republic of Ireland, or Eire, do not recognise the sovereignty of Northern Ireland, and as such anyone born on the island of Ireland (i.e. Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland) can be considered as Irish under Irish law.

 

Ireland was a British territory until the Irish War of Independence in 1922. At that point Ireland became it's own country again (albeit remaining a dominion of the commonwealth for a few more decades), but the British kept Northern Ireland. Northern Ireland generally had a more strongly British feeling, which dates back to the 'plantation of the Protestants' in something like the 1600's, where a large number of English and Scottish Protestant lords were given titles and homes in the north of Ireland to try and assimilate the unruly, Catholic population.

 

The UK has one main parliament in Westminster, with members from all parts of the UK. Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland also each have their own parliaments, where their members of parliament make laws specific to their country. England doesn't have its own parliament, because the English parliament is essentially the British parliament.

 

England and Wales share a legal system, so you might see a contract being subject to "the laws of England and Wales". Scotland and Northern Ireland have separate legal systems. I believe that is because Wales is a principality (its head of state is the Prince of Wales, who is the heir apparent (first heir) to the English throne), whereas the other parts of the UK are countries.

 

If it helps with the "if they all have the same queen, they must be the same country" argument, it might be worth pointing out that our queen is the leader of the commonwealth, meaning that she is also queen of Australia, Canada, and many other countries.

 

ETA: the problem with Brexit and Ireland is that the border between Northern Ireland and Eire is the UK's only land border with Europe. Currently there's no border control, because EU citizens have free movement to the UK. When we fully leave there should presumably be some border control, but no-one seems to have the faintest idea how that will work.

 

Also ETA: we all hate the clown in charge of the UK government, just to make that clear. I won't go in to the upsetting nature of how he was able to get into power, lest this turn into a very long rant.

  • Like 4

Level 15 Wood Elf Ranger

IAgreeWithTank™

"Shit is going down, but I am not." - iatetheyeti

Don't say "I don't have enough time", say instead "that's not a priority right now" and see how that makes you feel.

Forum Posts: Current Challenge - The 80/20 Rule2021 Road Map - Make a House a Home

External: Epic Quest - Instagram - Strava

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47

Old Stuff: Battle Log - My Introduction - 2017 Road Map - 2018 Road Map - 2019 Road Map

Link to comment
4 hours ago, Wobbegong said:

Irish people will fight you if you call them British... is that an accurate understanding?

I don't think that most people who come from the British Isles (or anywhere, nearly) are going to fight you over their nationality. It's portrayed as us all hating each other, whereas really what you hear about are a vociferous minority.

  • Like 1

What's the best time to plant a tree?

20 years ago.

What's the second best time to plant a tree?

Now.

Link to comment
5 hours ago, deftona said:

Internationally speaking, our country is the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland in that this is our sovereign state that is a member of the UN.

INTERESTING, I had assumed each different country would have its own representation in the UN, since... y'know... Canada and Australia are also part of the commonwealth, but separate. The only difference is geography. But I guess "the only difference is geography" is pretty much the basis of many country divisions, soooooo

 

Quote

our head of state is the queen, as is the case for a lot of commonwealth countries too. The Clown is the Prime Minister, but each constituent country has their own parliament with devolved powers, with that parliament having a seat in Westminster. There are lots of cases for each constituent country shifting away from the union and becoming independent, and this English girl would put up no arguments with that because she plans to make a run for the border and leap across to Scotland if (when) they get their independence because who in their right mind wouldn't try to flee a sinking ship. Independence for Scotland was a matter of time anyway, and Brexit has sped up that timeline considerably because of the divisions it has caused. (Also, Scotland is better)

I also am basically expecting at least Scotland to pull out sometime in the nearish future, but it would kind of be a messy situation, wouldn't it? Not that the situation isn't already messy, of course, but historically humans haven't been great at saying "Yeah, sure, go ahead, you can have a separate country. Nbd."

 

Quote

Irish people are definitely not British. Northern Irish people are as in The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland as this is the official name of the country. 

 

England vs Great Britain vs United Kingdom Explained – Brilliant Maps

I'm definitely going to be handing this map to my teacher friend. It's very helpful.

 

4 hours ago, Jarric said:

Just to add a bit to what everyone else has said, things are slightly different from an Irish perspective. The Republic of Ireland, or Eire, do not recognise the sovereignty of Northern Ireland, and as such anyone born on the island of Ireland (i.e. Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland) can be considered as Irish under Irish law.

I DID NOT KNOW THAT. That sounds like a super big deal to not know. Thank you for telling me!

 

Quote

The UK has one main parliament in Westminster, with members from all parts of the UK. Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland also each have their own parliaments, where their members of parliament make laws specific to their country. England doesn't have its own parliament, because the English parliament is essentially the British parliament.

So England is basically the Washington, D.C. of the UK. DC doesn't fall under any state's jurisdiction and so it's managed directly by the federal government. They do have a mayor, but Congress likes to pretend that's not the case.

 

Quote

England and Wales share a legal system, so you might see a contract being subject to "the laws of England and Wales". Scotland and Northern Ireland have separate legal systems. I believe that is because Wales is a principality (its head of state is the Prince of Wales, who is the heir apparent (first heir) to the English throne), whereas the other parts of the UK are countries.

If Wales is a principality, is The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Norther Ireland comprised of three countries, or four? Is Wales not a country?

 

Quote

If it helps with the "if they all have the same queen, they must be the same country" argument, it might be worth pointing out that our queen is the leader of the commonwealth, meaning that she is also queen of Australia, Canada, and many other countries.

I am absolutely going to be using this argument. Thank you.

 

Quote

ETA: the problem with Brexit and Ireland is that the border between Northern Ireland and Eire is the UK's only land border with Europe. Currently there's no border control, because EU citizens have free movement to the UK. When we fully leave there should presumably be some border control, but no-one seems to have the faintest idea how that will work.

Also because if they suddenly start to control that border when Eire doesn't view the British hold on N. Ireland as legitimate, couldn't that be interpreted as a declaration of war? Obviously my grasp of the situation is underdeveloped at best but that sounds really dangerous.

 

Quote

Also ETA: we all hate the clown in charge of the UK government, just to make that clear. I won't go in to the upsetting nature of how he was able to get into power, lest this turn into a very long rant.

Do all of you call him the clown? I call him the muppet, but maybe that's insulting to Jim Henson.

 

3 hours ago, cd667 said:

I don't think that most people who come from the British Isles (or anywhere, nearly) are going to fight you over their nationality. It's portrayed as us all hating each other, whereas really what you hear about are a vociferous minority.

That's reasonable, and I didn't really mean "they'll punch you in the face" so much as "they'll be sorely offended." But that's good to know, that the portrayals are dramatized. The Irish War of Independence was fairly recent and very bloody, so it seems like the sort of thing that would leave a lasting impression on the cultural psyche. But you're absolutely right to call me out about it, because by speaking in hyperbole I'm contributing to the dramatization of the situation. Thank you!

 

1 hour ago, Waanie said:

It's interesting to read about the division of the UK, since I only had no idea that e.g. even the law is different in Scotland and N.I.

 

Anyway, good on you to treat your students with kindness, no matter the cultural norms in Japan :). How did the cheesecake turn out?

I know right, I'm learning so much. I ran out of headspace and day hours to get cheesecake baked on Sunday, so I'm just finishing up with it now. After they bake they chill for 5 hours (or overnight, which is what I"m doing, because I do not have time to be cheesecake tasting at 1:30AM), so I'll let you know when I have a piece with my coffee tomorrow! Should be good.

 

It's been a while since I baked though and I forgot how circles work and how when I adapt normal-sized recipes for my itty bitty pans that fit in my itty bitty toaster oven I end up making a TON of stuff. There were numerous hijinks with both crust and filling and I ended up with so much extra material for crust that I decided to roll it into a quick little batch of peanut butter cookies. So now I have those too. Aside from all of this baking, I have not accomplished a single thing on my to-do list for tonight, but I think it may just have to be that way. I'm taking the afternoon off on Wednesday and Thursday because I happen to have no afternoon classes, so hopefully I'll be able to get enough on top of my shit that I can actually relax over my four day weekend.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Cookie Update: the cookies are very honey- and almond-forward (from a honey-almond cheesecake base), but somehow are simultaneously the most peanut-buttery cookies I've ever eaten. I wish I had mixed the batter in with cooked oats and baked them into bars instead of cookies. They're pretty great already, but they might be better with a touch of jam.

 

On that note, I'm off to bed -- as I typed that I glanced over at my pillow for my iron and found it not there and sought them out (on the bedside table) and took them anyway. This technique has been working great, thanks again for that suggestion @Waanie! Of course, tonight I just had milk with my cookies, so I'm not in a great place for iron, but at least I'm taking it. That's what counts!

  • Like 6
Link to comment
3 minutes ago, Wobbegong said:

On that note, I'm off to bed -- as I typed that I glanced over at my pillow for my iron and found it not there and sought them out (on the bedside table) and took them anyway. This technique has been working great, thanks again for that suggestion @Waanie! Of course, tonight I just had milk with my cookies, so I'm not in a great place for iron, but at least I'm taking it. That's what counts!

You're welcome, I'm glad that it works for you :). It's often the simple things that work best, I think.

 

Also, I'm glad that your cookies turned out right. I always explicitly calculate the ratio between my tin and a standard tin, since those quadratic factors are sneakily non-intuitive ;).

  • Like 1
Link to comment
32 minutes ago, Wobbegong said:

Do all of you call him the clown? I call him the muppet, but maybe that's insulting to Jim Henson.

 

I think of him as fitting into this meme:
 

Kids: Mom, can we have Trump?
 

Mom: We have Trump at home.

 

Trump at home:

220px-Boris_Johnson_official_portrait_(c

  • Like 3

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Link to comment
1 hour ago, Wobbegong said:

If Wales is a principality, is The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Norther Ireland comprised of three countries, or four? Is Wales not a country?

 

Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland and England are all countries. And so is The United Kingdom. We're countries within a country which is different to the rest of the commonwealth. 

  • Like 3

I'm more than adequate. Leave Kanye out of this. 

Profile picture credit : NF's resident super artist - NinjaKitten

Link to comment
1 hour ago, Wobbegong said:

Also because if they suddenly start to control that border when Eire doesn't view the British hold on N. Ireland as legitimate, couldn't that be interpreted as a declaration of war? Obviously my grasp of the situation is underdeveloped at best but that sounds really dangerous.

 

Have you heard of The Good Friday Agreement? Essentially it's a treaty that bought about peace in Northern Ireland as it offered a solution to a number of issues including sovereignty, trade and policing and it brought and end to the violence in the 1990's. Northern Ireland now has a two party democratic system where power is shared but the way their devolved parliament works is slightly different to the other countries within the UK as Sinn Fein (the Eire based party) do not recognise Westminster as the centre of any meaningful power so they do not take their seats in Westminster. Brexit threatens the very basis of The Good Friday agreement as like Jarric says it would need the trade border between Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland, and this contravenes the very basis of The Good Friday Agreement, meaning The Troubles are likely to resume. 

 

I reckon within the next decade or two we will see an independent Scotland and some sort of change in Northern Ireland. Wales will probably stick with England as being realistic, it doesn't have the economy to fly solo but there are also rumblings of an independent Cornwall so who knows what the political landscape will look like in the next few years. 

 

54 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I think of him as fitting into this meme:
 

Kids: Mom, can we have Trump?
 

Mom: We have Trump at home.

 

Trump at home:

220px-Boris_Johnson_official_portrait_(c

 

Unfortunately, BoJo predates Trump as he has been ruining things for the good people of the UK as an MP for twenty years, with a brief stint out to ruin things more centrally as Mayor of London. 

  • Like 3

I'm more than adequate. Leave Kanye out of this. 

Profile picture credit : NF's resident super artist - NinjaKitten

Link to comment
3 hours ago, deftona said:

 

 

Unfortunately, BoJo predates Trump as he has been ruining things for the good people of the UK as an MP for twenty years, with a brief stint out to ruin things more centrally as Mayor of London. 

Forgive me, I had not heard of him till his selection as Prime Minister.

  • Like 1

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Link to comment
On 9/11/2020 at 2:55 AM, Wobbegong said:

COME AT ME JAPANESE TRADITIONS, DO YOU EVEN LIFT?!"

LOL

 

On 9/13/2020 at 12:24 AM, Wobbegong said:

I don't think I have any heavenly power with which to smite her regardless.

And that is why one should always take the Templar specialization. 

 

On 9/13/2020 at 12:24 AM, Wobbegong said:

All that is to say if anyone has the Cliff's notes so I can explain this to the teacher in a way that will help her understand, I would appreciate it. I do my best to stick up for the Welsh, Scottish, and North Irish, as I know they often get lumped in under the English umbrella just for all being British together. But I don't know enough to be a good ally.

Other's have covered this, but CGP is always worth a reference.

 

5 hours ago, Wobbegong said:

On that note, I'm off to bed -- as I typed that I glanced over at my pillow for my iron and found it not there and sought them out (on the bedside table) and took them anyway. This technique has been working great, thanks again for that suggestion @Waanie! Of course, tonight I just had milk with my cookies, so I'm not in a great place for iron, but at least I'm taking it. That's what counts!

Putting them on the pillow was the solution I thought of too, so I'm happy that it has been working out. Something else that might help is a weekly pill sorter. I use them and it really helps me when I can't remember if I took something or not; is the Monday section empty? Then you took it.

 

 

  • Like 1

Put together enough small wins over a long enough period of time, and you’ll find yourself in high level gear fighting dragons before you know it.

Whisper Game Mode Easy

Spoiler

 

Link to comment
5 hours ago, deftona said:

Unfortunately, BoJo predates Trump as he has been ruining things for the good people of the UK as an MP for twenty years, with a brief stint out to ruin things more centrally as Mayor of London. 

I have the misfortune of coming from the town said Mr Clown was an MP of before he scarpered when the mayor of London gig came up. I have met him several times. He was a waste of space.

 

Before that, we had Michael Heseltine.

 

I really disagree with Michael Heseltine, but at least I respect him. He helped out a lot of people who came to him. Boris was simply never there.

 

Bojo is fundamentally dishonest. He won't even admit to the number of children he has. If he hadn't gone to Eton and Oxford, he'd be some sleazy used car salesman.

 

Aaaand relax..... ☺️

  • Like 4

What's the best time to plant a tree?

20 years ago.

What's the second best time to plant a tree?

Now.

Link to comment
21 hours ago, Wobbegong said:

If Wales is a principality, is The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Norther Ireland comprised of three countries, or four? Is Wales not a country?

 

I think it's generally easiest to think of Wales as a country. Other places in the world, like Monaco or San Marino, are principalities, I think the difference is just that the reigning monarch is a prince/princess rather than a king/queen.

 

21 hours ago, Wobbegong said:

Also because if they suddenly start to control that border when Eire doesn't view the British hold on N. Ireland as legitimate, couldn't that be interpreted as a declaration of war?

 

I typed a thing while I was reading through this thread, but Deffy explained this fair better than I could.

 

21 hours ago, Wobbegong said:

Do all of you call him the clown? I call him the muppet, but maybe that's insulting to Jim Henson.

 

I feel like both are fairly accurate descriptions. I've definitely called him much worse.

  • Like 3

Level 15 Wood Elf Ranger

IAgreeWithTank™

"Shit is going down, but I am not." - iatetheyeti

Don't say "I don't have enough time", say instead "that's not a priority right now" and see how that makes you feel.

Forum Posts: Current Challenge - The 80/20 Rule2021 Road Map - Make a House a Home

External: Epic Quest - Instagram - Strava

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47

Old Stuff: Battle Log - My Introduction - 2017 Road Map - 2018 Road Map - 2019 Road Map

Link to comment
20 hours ago, deftona said:

Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland and England are all countries. And so is The United Kingdom. We're countries within a country which is different to the rest of the commonwealth. 

Countries within a country is too confusing for me to wrap my head around, let alone explain to this teacher. But thank you for the clarification.

 

20 hours ago, deftona said:

Have you heard of The Good Friday Agreement? Essentially it's a treaty that bought about peace in Northern Ireland as it offered a solution to a number of issues including sovereignty, trade and policing and it brought and end to the violence in the 1990's. Northern Ireland now has a two party democratic system where power is shared but the way their devolved parliament works is slightly different to the other countries within the UK as Sinn Fein (the Eire based party) do not recognise Westminster as the centre of any meaningful power so they do not take their seats in Westminster. Brexit threatens the very basis of The Good Friday agreement as like Jarric says it would need the trade border between Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland, and this contravenes the very basis of The Good Friday Agreement, meaning The Troubles are likely to resume. 

Yeah, that's my concern too. I'm fuzzy on a lot of the details in that history but I know the broad strokes well enough to be concerned. But it sounds like everyone's pretty much on the same page about it? At least in terms of recognizing that border control will be a huge sticky problem?

 

20 hours ago, deftona said:

I reckon within the next decade or two we will see an independent Scotland and some sort of change in Northern Ireland. Wales will probably stick with England as being realistic, it doesn't have the economy to fly solo but there are also rumblings of an independent Cornwall so who knows what the political landscape will look like in the next few years. 

I favor independence but I hope there aren't any wars about it. Perhaps that's naive.

 

20 hours ago, deftona said:

 

Unfortunately, BoJo predates Trump as he has been ruining things for the good people of the UK as an MP for twenty years, with a brief stint out to ruin things more centrally as Mayor of London. 

 

15 hours ago, Whisper said:

And that is why one should always take the Templar specialization. 

The only game I've ever played with Templars is FFTA. But Bangaa are lit so I guess I take your point.

 

15 hours ago, Whisper said:

Putting them on the pillow was the solution I thought of too, so I'm happy that it has been working out. Something else that might help is a weekly pill sorter. I use them and it really helps me when I can't remember if I took something or not; is the Monday section empty? Then you took it.

I am definitely too lazy to fill in a weekly pill sorter. But the pillow thing works because I can put them on top of my laptop when I go to sleep, and then I can't use my laptop (something I do every day) without moving the pills somewhere, and my pillow is in reach; and I can't go to sleep without moving them again, so I remember to take them. It's good!

 

6 minutes ago, Jarric said:

I think it's generally easiest to think of Wales as a country. Other places in the world, like Monaco or San Marino, are principalities, I think the difference is just that the reigning monarch is a prince/princess rather than a king/queen.

That makes sense as a distinction, thank you! I'm not sure if the same distinction exists in Japanese, though, so I'll stick with "country" for my explanation to the teacher.

 

Thanks again to everyone for your help with this! I really have learned so much from you and I am so happy and honored that you would take the time to educate me and be so friendly and thorough about it! If there's anything you ever want to add, please feel free.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines