• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Xena

Xena pushes into the endzone

I was thinking about my list of potential challenge goals, and decided that the things motivating me the most are improving strength, mobility and power. The football season (NFL) is about to start, so I should have plenty of inspiration. I don't understand much of the real strategy of the game, but what draws me in is the pure athleticism. Watching that way the players can move their bodies, being so strong, fast and resilient.

I'll eventually update this with some specific challenge goals. I'm going to use zero week to try out a new schedule for strength training and to get in a session with some short "power intervals". I'll try 30s repeats on flat road or track...not sure how many yet, want to do a little more reading.

ETA: CHALLENGE GOALS!!

1. Running: Make the hard days hard and the easy days easy. It's finally cool enough that it feel like there is a reasonable difference between my hard effort and my easy effort (rather than it all feeling like a terrible slog for survival). I'm really just gonna keep following my training plan. There are usually 2 "quality" runs of some sort during the week and a long run on weekends. Those will be as hard as they need to be. All other runs will be easy effort...will try to keep HR under 150.

2. Strength: No catch phrase here, but I have a plan I want to try to stick with. It doesn't matter which days I do the things as long as I get them done: 2x hip/glute exercises, 2x upper body stuff, 1x core [also doing 4 online exercise classes the first 4 Mondays of the challenge and usually do a Saturday yoga class]. Likely schedule is M: Glute/push; T: Core, Th: Glute/pull. [with a few stretches, planks and pull-up negatives each time].

3. Power up:  I'm gonna try creatine. The first couple days of the challenge, I'll just do one scoop and make sure it doesn't upset my stomach. Then I'll try for several days of 2x/day (loading) and then got back to once a day. Goal is just to stick with it through the challenge and see how I feel at the end of it. Won't really be able to attribute it specifically to creatine, but, will be looking at how I recover from various workouts.

4. Paint the bathroom: Yeah, so the other ones fill kind of vaguely like football-esque training. This one not so much. Goal is to get all the prep done (there is more than usual), prime it, and paint with regular paint. I want to do something fancy on one wall with a gold design overlay, but that part can come later (not a specific challenge goal...don't want to rush it because I'm still thinking about what I want to do).

[still editing...posting for now and will come back to it...gotta take care of something in the kitchen!!]

• Like 5

Yeah...I think that might have sounded creepy. I didn't mean it that way. I'm just really impressed by what they can do. I watch the flexibility in the kickers and the way the receivers can jump for the ball, etc etc and I think any one of those moves would completely break me.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Howdy! Long time no see. 

I don't know much about NFL either but I enjoyed Last Chance U and QB1 on Netflix. 

• Like 1

I have no idea about anything to do with NFL. To me, it looks like rugby for people who are scared but TH assures me there is a lot of strategy. I am following anyway because XENA!!! 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, deftona said:

I have no idea about anything to do with NFL. To me, it looks like rugby for people who are scared but TH assures me there is a lot of strategy. I am following anyway because XENA!!! 

Some theorize the pads actually make things more dangerous, because people hit harder with the pads than they would if they were unarmored. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Some theorize the pads actually make things more dangerous, because people hit harder with the pads than they would if they were unarmored. 

That was the exact point I was going to make, but yet again you beat me to it. Now I know how supervillains might feel.

Also:

blood-bowl-lissa-barone.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Endor said:

Howdy! Long time no see.

G'day! Happy to see you back here.

4 hours ago, deftona said:

I won't actually talk much about football, but I do enjoy laying around watching it.

4 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I read an interesting book about that type of thing. The author called them "revenge effects" and the book was called "When Things Bite Back" ...the idea of unintended consequences, another interesting example is building bigger highways. They often end up making it practical for more people to commute by car from farther away and don't end up relieving traffic as intended. Lots of interesting examples along those lines.

4 hours ago, DarK_RaideR said:

That was the exact point I was going to make, but yet again you beat me to it. Now I know how supervillains might feel.

Also:

blood-bowl-lissa-barone.jpg

That's pretty badass.

• Like 1

Today was a US holiday. I tested out my strength routine (which was fine) and did a short run. I got stung on the top of my head by a bee (or something), so I decided to cut the run even a little shorter, in case it really swelled up or something. I was fine.

Yesterday my friend had invited me to come over and hang out while she and her husband took turns painting the barn. I ended up being too busy and was frustrated not having time to go. Today I made it over, and it was really fun. I have no idea why they decided to alternate painting like that, but it made for a really relaxing time, kind of just chilling while there was some slow, easy painting going on.

Tomorrow I'm going to finally do my last tabata video, and will try to work some short fast intervals into my run.

I think my third goal this time is going to be painting the bathroom. I'll have to do some drywall repair, and I watched a few videos today about how to do that. Next step will be to get some supplies.

• Like 5

Today I finally did that last tabata video (it wasn't that bad) and did a short run.

I also had an assessment for an online Spanish class. It was fun, there were 5 students on the zoom call and the teacher asked us a bunch of questions. I feel like he only sort of assessed our skill level...it seemed to me like we were a pretty wide range of skill levels and he just lumped us together in the end and said we should all take the "beginning conversation" class. I think that's totally fine, but it was more based on sticking a cohort of new students together than anything else. The class itself starts in late September, and I'm really looking forward to it.

Tomorrow I'm planning to do half mile repeats.

• Like 2

As long as the differences aren't extreme you should all get what you need out of the conversation. You might use more descriptive language than someone less advanced,  but it should still be fun! Good luck!

• Like 1

How come you're learning Spanish, just for fun or..?

I speak French as well, it's a good feeling being able to speak another language!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Kestrel Grey said:

As long as the differences aren't extreme you should all get what you need out of the conversation. You might use more descriptive language than someone less advanced,  but it should still be fun! Good luck!

You are completely right. Honestly, my pride was a little wounded, but that's my own problem. I made some dumb mistakes while talking, but I knew better, and that's why I need to practice!

12 hours ago, Endor said:

How come you're learning Spanish, just for fun or..?

I speak French as well, it's a good feeling being able to speak another language!

Yeah, just for fun. I took it through high school and a little bit in college. I've vaguely tried to keep up on my own on-and-off over the years. Oddly, the week before we went into lockdown, I finally took initiative and responded to a flyer in my local coffee shop about a Spanish discussion group. I was all set to go to my first meeting and then...not so much. I recently found about about these community classes via zoom. It seems like a perfect covid-era activity. It is a good feeling, and I think it's probably good for your brain to think in a different language, especially one you have to work for.

Today I slacked off. Well, I worked at my actual day job, but I didn't do any exercise. I don't know why. I'll do some tomorrow.

• Like 4

Today I got my butt out to the track and did 6x800. They weren't too fast, but it was super challenging (one more day of swampy humidity). I was supposed to do them on descending pace. I didn't quite manage that, but I got through the whole workout without totally giving up and breaking pace on any of it.

• Like 3

Following along.

I got semi conversationally fluent in Spanish when I worked at a Golden Corral in college. I've lost basically everything in the *mumble* years since then. Now the best I can do is tell DH whether the announcer in the car/motorcycle race clip on Youtube is speaking Spanish or some other European language :P

• Like 3

On 9/11/2020 at 2:03 AM, BarefootDawsy said:

What are these tabata videos of which you speak? Are you filing them or watching them? 

It was a series of classes on a website called DailyOm. I've done 3 of their classes now. The first one was awesome* and the other two haven't really been a good fit. I wish their website was set up so you could see reviews of their different classes.

* the really good one is unfortunately (in my opinion) called the "No squat booty workout." It could have just as easily been called "glute activation for runners" but that wasn't up to me. These are 15 minute videos that aren't too hard, don't take too much time, and have made a different for me. My hip muscles normally get super tight and sore, which I think is due to not activating the right muscles when I run. I've done a couple cycles of working through these videos, usually doing them before running. The tightness pretty much goes away. Unfortunately, it seems to be the kind of thing I have to keep up with.

19 hours ago, Maigs said:

I got semi conversationally fluent in Spanish when I worked at a Golden Corral in college. I've lost basically everything in the *mumble* years since then. Now the best I can do is tell DH whether the announcer in the car/motorcycle race clip on Youtube is speaking Spanish or some other European language :P

Hah!! I would say I speak pretty good "gringo Spanish." I have a good handle on the stuff I learned in high school a million years ago. I've been spotty with practicing and it shows.

Saturday: No fitnessing was done. My normal Saturday schedule got disrupted by a condo meeting and I just didn't work in a plan to compensate

Today (Sunday): A little over 12.5 miles on road. Watched the opening game (Patriots-Dolphins). It was pretty fun to watch. Our new quarterback is a really talented guy who hasn't played well in recent year(s) due to injury. He's better now, and it super fun to watch because he's a really good runner. Very different from our last QB (who was legendary but not a good runner). Old QB is a total GQ guy who sometimes dresses like a dufus as press conferences. New QB has an, uh interesting style. It wouldn't be my pick, but keep playing like that and wear whatever the hell you want.

image.png

ETA: CHALLENGE GOALS!!

1. Running: Make the hard days hard and the easy days easy. It's finally cool enough that it feel like there is a reasonable difference between my hard effort and my easy effort (rather than it all feeling like a terrible slog for survival). I'm really just gonna keep following my training plan. There are usually 2 "quality" runs of some sort during the week and a long run on weekends. Those will be as hard as they need to be. All other runs will be easy effort...will try to keep HR under 150.

2. Strength: No catch phrase here, but I have a plan I want to try to stick with. It doesn't matter which days I do the things as long as I get them done: 2x hip/glute exercises, 2x upper body stuff, 1x core [also doing 4 online exercise classes the first 4 Mondays of the challenge and usually do a Saturday yoga class]. Likely schedule is M: Glute/push; T: Core, Th: Glute/pull. [with a few stretches, planks and pull-up negatives each time].

3. Power up:  I'm gonna try creatine. The first couple days of the challenge, I'll just do one scoop and make sure it doesn't upset my stomach. Then I'll try for several days of 2x/day (loading) and then got back to once a day. Goal is just to stick with it through the challenge and see how I feel at the end of it. Won't really be able to attribute it specifically to creatine, but, will be looking at how I recover from various workouts.

4. Paint the bathroom: Yeah, so the other ones fill kind of vaguely like football-esque training. This one not so much. Goal is to get all the prep done (there is more than usual), prime it, and paint with regular paint. I want to do something fancy on one wall with a gold design overlay, but that part can come later (not a specific challenge goal...don't want to rush it because I'm still thinking about what I want to do).

• Like 5

This is the kind of thing I want to do on my bathroom wall (but with a darker background)

image.png

Or this...but I think it's beyond my skill level

image.png

• Like 6
  • That's Metal 2

18 minutes ago, Xena said:

4. Paint the bathroom: Yeah, so the other ones fill kind of vaguely like football-esque training. This one not so much...

I want to do something fancy on one wall with a gold design overlay

I beg to differ. I know next to nothing about American football, but the last game that I was roped into watching, my friend and I picked our team based soley on how sparkly gold their pants were.

• Haha 3

Oooh, I really like that gold design overlay idea. When you do get around to doing that you should definitely post pictures. I considered doing an accent wall in our current house but the wall that made the most sense for it ended up being our projector wall

• Like 1

On 9/11/2020 at 4:03 PM, BarefootDawsy said:

What are these tabata videos of which you speak?

Never you mind, these are clinically proven to cause weight gain, not for you to try. 

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Xena said:

I'm gonna try creatine

Drink alot of water, alot. 

ALOT.png

Seriously though it does dry you out. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Xena said:

image.png

What's this dude's name? I think I have to watch him play, he must have some Super Skillz to be confident enough to dress like that! 

6 hours ago, Endor said:

Never you mind, these are clinically proven to cause weight gain, not for you to try. 

Now I definitely want them!

Also, I believe the guy in the picture is called Wario...could be wrong though...

• Like 1