• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Xena

Xena pushes into the endzone

8 hours ago, Endor said:

Drink alot of water, alot. 

ALOT.png

Seriously though it does dry you out. 

Thanks for the tip. Seems like it's especially important while you are doing the whole loading thing. We'll see. Love the picture 🙂

8 hours ago, Endor said:

What's this dude's name? I think I have to watch him play, he must have some Super Skillz to be confident enough to dress like that! 

Cam Newton. He does indeed have some Super Skillz (I was psyched that we got him), but yeah, he would have looked like a fool if he hadn't performed well. Maybe it was a way of really throwing down. You gotta be all in to dress like that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

I found creatine helpful when I was doing a lot of fasted workouts. If your levels are low I’ll bet you’ll notice the difference.

Yeah, those darned fasted workouts are the next thing to try out.

----------

I had a really good first challenge day. Did some strength work in the morning and a short run. The running wasn't super satisfying because it was slow and easy (as planned for a recovery day) but I still felt like junk because the air was so humid. I took some creatine right after all that and nothing bad happened (no GI problems). Did a zoom exercise class after work (I don't usually do this much in one day, but I've signed up for 4 weeks of Monday classes). I guess I would call it a Pilates-based toning class. I imagine I'll be sore in various places in a day or two. Decided to go ahead and take a second scoop of creatine to start the loading phase. I'll do that for a week or so and then go back to once a day. 

• Like 4

Those gold overlays are nice. You should be able to find wall stencils online if you want to do something more complex. I looked at them briefly when I was trying to figure out what to do with my bathroom.

7 hours ago, delalana said:

Those gold overlays are nice. You should be able to find wall stencils online if you want to do something more complex. I looked at them briefly when I was trying to figure out what to do with my bathroom.

That's a really good point. Could even mix in some stenciling with some hand-drawn stuff. Just gotta figure out what I want to do.

Today was pretty good. 5 mile casual run. I just get a little frustrated when easy runs don't feel as easy as I would like.

• Like 3

Okay, so now I'm overawed by your interior decorating. My plan for painting my bathroom was to pick a light color that goes well with shiny black trim and greyish floor tile. Probably off-white.

I love the gold designs you showed. Thankfully, those would be too much for my tiny basement bathroom. :D 

10 minutes ago, Mistr said:

Okay, so now I'm overawed by your interior decorating. My plan for painting my bathroom was to pick a light color that goes well with shiny black trim and greyish floor tile. Probably off-white.

Save the awe for when I actually do it. Right now I have a 95% painted popcorn ceiling and  a half-done spackle repair job along the top of the shower 🤭

10 minutes ago, Mistr said:

I love the gold designs you showed. Thankfully, those would be too much for my tiny basement bathroom. :D 

Cool! It might end up looking a little gaudy, but I'm allowed to have a blinged out bathroom if I want. The cat doesn't care either way 🙂

Today is pretty good so far. I overslept, so I didn't do my run in the morning. Instead I did some strength work and tidied the house a bit. I went out and did my run after work. It was a little ambiguous what the coach wanted me to do, so I added a hard mile on the trail into my loop. I always like getting in benchmark workouts.

• Like 5

On 9/14/2020 at 11:26 AM, Endor said:

What's this dude's name? I think I have to watch him play, he must have some Super Skillz to be confident enough to dress like that! 

Ah, Cam Newton. He's been famous for his style. 

On 9/10/2020 at 8:39 PM, Xena said:

Today I got my butt out to the track and did 6x800. They weren't too fast, but it was super challenging (one more day of swampy humidity). I was supposed to do them on descending pace.

I'm always so impressed at how specific your training is. If someone told me to do 800-meter repeats at a descending pace, I would have no idea how to tell what my pace was. I could figure it out afterward with a lap timer, but during it the rate of exertion would all seem the same.

(also after the fourth one I would lay on the track and cry, a la Parks and Rec)

• Like 1

Today I did some core work in the morning and a hard 5 miler after work.

But enough about that. There were also Match shenanigans. I had a phone date with a guy tonight. He does not seem to be a serial killer AND even though he is in a kind of math-y job, he did not bust out the "I'm a numbers guy" line on me. Two boxes checked off so far. In theory we are going to meet up in person soon... 

• Like 10

16 minutes ago, Xena said:

I had a phone date with a guy tonight. He does not seem to be a serial killer AND even though he is in a kind of math-y job, he did not bust out the "I'm a numbers guy" line on me. Two boxes checked off so far. In theory we are going to meet up in person soon... 

Oooh, this one has some promise :D

My Dad and Hubs are engineer types and Mom and I both describe people as having "engineering" personalities as a way to warn that they're a little crazy (my parents are now divorced, but were married for 30 years, Hubs and I have been married for 16, we love engineers, but it's definitely a certain personality type that's drawn to that field)

• Like 4

Week 1 update: TL:DR: Off to a great start.

On 9/5/2020 at 8:53 PM, Xena said:

1. Running: Make the hard days hard and the easy days easy.

This has been really useful. I've had a hard time really staying below 150 on the easy days, but I've been really aware of effort and trying to stay out of zone 5. I got in a couple really solid hard workouts. This is such great running weather...makes an ENORMOUS difference.

2. Strength: No catch phrase here, but I have a plan I want to try to stick with. It doesn't matter which days I do the things as long as I get them done: 2x hip/glute exercises, 2x upper body stuff, 1x core [also doing 4 online exercise classes the first 4 Mondays of the challenge and usually do a Saturday yoga class]. Likely schedule is M: Glute/push; T: Core, Th: Glute/pull. [with a few stretches, planks and pull-up negatives each time].

Did what I was supposed to do more-or-less. Some of the upper body stuff was a little half-assed, but better than nothing.

3. Power up:  I'm gonna try creatine. The first couple days of the challenge, I'll just do one scoop and make sure it doesn't upset my stomach. Then I'll try for several days of 2x/day (loading) and then got back to once a day. Goal is just to stick with it through the challenge and see how I feel at the end of it. Won't really be able to attribute it specifically to creatine, but, will be looking at how I recover from various workouts.

Yup. Took it 2x most days. Gonna settle into 1X now. No idea if it's helping or not, but I'll stick with it at least until I finish this supply (60 days worth).

4. Paint the bathroom: Yeah, so the other ones fill kind of vaguely like football-esque training. This one not so much. Goal is to get all the prep done (there is more than usual), prime it, and paint with regular paint. I want to do something fancy on one wall with a gold design overlay, but that part can come later (not a specific challenge goal...don't want to rush it because I'm still thinking about what I want to do).

Did some more prep work yesterday. Finished the ceiling. Worked on some more spackling. Bought some texture spray...that's a new on for me.

• Like 1

On 9/18/2020 at 7:47 AM, DJtrippyT said:

I'm always so impressed at how specific your training is. If someone told me to do 800-meter repeats at a descending pace, I would have no idea how to tell what my pace was. I could figure it out afterward with a lap timer, but during it the rate of exertion would all seem the same.

I was doing it on a track and using a stopwatch. You could definitely figure it out. Basically, unless you start off REALLY slow, they feel exponentially more sucky as you go on. If you start out too fast, you do indeed end up in Parks and Rec mode. I started out a little too fast because I could hold the pace, but after the first few, they didn't really get faster.

On 9/18/2020 at 8:55 PM, Xena said:

But enough about that. There were also Match shenanigans. I had a phone date with a guy tonight. He does not seem to be a serial killer AND even though he is in a kind of math-y job, he did not bust out the "I'm a numbers guy" line on me. Two boxes checked off so far. In theory we are going to meet up in person soon... 

On 9/18/2020 at 9:16 PM, Maigs said:

Oooh, this one has some promise :D

My Dad and Hubs are engineer types and Mom and I both describe people as having "engineering" personalities as a way to warn that they're a little crazy (my parents are now divorced, but were married for 30 years, Hubs and I have been married for 16, we love engineers, but it's definitely a certain personality type that's drawn to that field)

We met up and went for a walk today. I think he does have promise 🙂

I've dated a few engineers and completely agree with your characterization. This guy (and also the "numbers guy") are both in finance. They are about 180 degree different from each other. The new guy (bachelor #3, I guess) is not at all jerky and is pretty interesting. Super nerdy about running, which is fine in my book. I'm not 100% sure I like him, but I don't not like him. Obviously, I barely know him, but I'll be interested to see him again.

• Like 4

Good for you making progress on all fronts.

Bachelor #3 sounds interesting. I hope that the pursuit is fun, even if he isn't a keeper. :D 

• Like 3

On 9/21/2020 at 8:56 AM, Xena said:

We met up and went for a walk today

Nice idea for a date, some of the best chats are on walks! 

• Like 1

On 9/21/2020 at 5:00 PM, Mistr said:

Bachelor #3 sounds interesting. I hope that the pursuit is fun, even if he isn't a keeper. :D 

On 9/22/2020 at 9:06 PM, Endor said:

Nice idea for a date, some of the best chats are on walks! 

It's fun to have a little excitement...and these days really nice just to meet a new person.

Past two days pretty normal.

Yesterday loop around the pond with some speed work built in.

Today a pretty easy 5 miles with some strides at the end. Did some hip/glute strength work.

• Like 6

I need to catch up around here, but first I need to get out there and do my Sunday morning run.

...I'll be baaaack!

Week 2 update

1. Running: Make the hard days hard and the easy days easy. It's finally cool enough that it feel like there is a reasonable difference between my hard effort and my easy effort (rather than it all feeling like a terrible slog for survival). I'm really just gonna keep following my training plan. There are usually 2 "quality" runs of some sort during the week and a long run on weekends. Those will be as hard as they need to be. All other runs will be easy effort...will try to keep HR under 150.

Yeah. This has been gong pretty well for the past couple weeks. This week I got in two quality runs. The first was a loop around the lake that included a hard first mile and running hard up the hills. That felt like a good workout. The second was my local 5-mile group run. As planned, I ran the first 2 miles easy and last 3 hard. I feel good about that, but I'm frustrated that the pace for the last 3 miles was slower than I averaged for the whole 5 the previous week. Weather was a little muggier and my legs were tired from the previous workout, so I understand it, but I don't have to like it. My long run was supposed to be 10 miles (2 miles easy, the alternate 2 min hard/6 min easy). It was quite humid and the run turned into a slog with a lot of walking. I couldn't hold a decent heart rate, and I kind of just turned to mush. This was disappointing because my previous 2 long runs had gone well (but the weather was much better). Again...I understand it, but I don't have to like it.

2. Strength: No catch phrase here, but I have a plan I want to try to stick with. It doesn't matter which days I do the things as long as I get them done: 2x hip/glute exercises, 2x upper body stuff, 1x core [also doing 4 online exercise classes the first 4 Mondays of the challenge and usually do a Saturday yoga class]. Likely schedule is M: Glute/push; T: Core, Th: Glute/pull. [with a few stretches, planks and pull-up negatives each time].

I did the Monday class, the 2 days of hip/glute work, and 1 day of dumbbell stuff. I'm usually good at getting the Monday's in and then really have to work to follow through later in the week.

3. Power up:  I'm gonna try creatine. The first couple days of the challenge, I'll just do one scoop and make sure it doesn't upset my stomach. Then I'll try for several days of 2x/day (loading) and then got back to once a day. Goal is just to stick with it through the challenge and see how I feel at the end of it. Won't really be able to attribute it specifically to creatine, but, will be looking at how I recover from various workouts.

Yep.

4. Paint the bathroom: Yeah, so the other ones fill kind of vaguely like football-esque training. This one not so much. Goal is to get all the prep done (there is more than usual), prime it, and paint with regular paint. I want to do something fancy on one wall with a gold design overlay, but that part can come later (not a specific challenge goal...don't want to rush it because I'm still thinking about what I want to do).

Did the caulking...then re-did the caulking because I messed up. Did one more round of touch-up on the spackle (hopefully the last). Did most of the priming (except the areas with caulk or fresh spackle). Bought the paint. Good work here.

• Like 5

On 9/23/2020 at 10:01 PM, Elastigirl said:

My husband is an engineer. I agree that it is a certain type who is drawn to the job. Hope you have a fun time getting to know bachelor #3

Thanks! We spent some nice time together yesterday, and he's gonna come over for dinner (gasp! Into the covid bubble!!) next week.

On 9/25/2020 at 9:16 PM, Novaurora said:

here to follow.  Will catch up when I have more spoons, but just wanted to throw love at you.

Thanks Nova 🙂

Week 3 stuff: Gonna get things kind of tidied up for the week and will make it a priority to get my strength work in. Also going to try to get in at least one fasted morning run.

• Like 4

Did pretty much everything I was supposed to today. Push workout, 3 mile run, took my creatine, exercise class after work.

But I'm good at following the rules on Mondays. Let's see how I do on Tuesday. Supposed to do 800's and some hip exercises. And maybe work on the bathroom project a bit.

• Like 4

I recently wrote on @Novaurora's thread that FB was stressing me out and I had to "snooze" some people.

Yesterday I went to do that. Looked for a recent post by one of the two main offenders [They both have the same direction of political slant to me, but I find them too much too aggressive and harsh]. Anyway, the first post I found from my opinionated friend talked about how she needed to "snooze" a bunch of people because she didn't agree with their political views. Interesting.

I go on FB to see funny memes and pictures of people's pets & kids. Occasionally to keep in touch if something serious happens in someone's life. That's all I want. It's ok if people want to post other stuff on there, but I sure do love that snooze button.

• Like 7