• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Xena

Xena pushes into the endzone

Interesting. No one ever seems to talk about people being annoyed with people from their own "side". I feel the same way a lot. I usually get more annoyed with people with my slant who are too extreme. It seems everyone is so extreme and always having to be serious all the time. I think it's time we took back social media. It isn't healthy to be so serious all the time and a lot if it is actually toxic. I miss going on facebook and seeing photos and laughing at posts.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Xena said:

I go on FB to see funny memes and pictures of people's pets & kids. Occasionally to keep in touch if something serious happens in someone's life. That's all I want.

I feel like you should know I once wanted to show you a hairless, eyeless cat on Facebook but your friends staged an intervention and stopped me. You have @Tanktimus the Encourager, @Sloth the Enduring, @DJtrippyT and @DarK_RaideR to thank. 

• Like 1
  • That's Metal 3

12 hours ago, ladymorella said:

Interesting. No one ever seems to talk about people being annoyed with people from their own "side".

While I don't have a "side" (though it would be nice to one day have a candidate to vote for instead of against) I'm definitely more liberal and have been annoyed by some of my liberal friends constant political postings during the last two elections and would block the political pages they shared from. I actually snoozed one of the friends recently, due to another issue but it was certainly nice not seeing his political stuff for a while. 

I have blocked most people from my news feed permanently. The only ones left are family that I actually like and friends that I would regularly hang out with if it weren't for COVID. And UPS Dogs because that's amazing :) I would get rid of FB completely except it's how my immediate family (that's spread across the country) keeps in touch

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Maigs said:

While I don't have a "side" (though it would be nice to one day have a candidate to vote for instead of against) 

I don't have a "side" like that either. And think I never will. 

• Like 1

On 9/29/2020 at 3:36 AM, deftona said:

I feel like you should know I once wanted to show you a hairless, eyeless cat on Facebook but your friends staged an intervention and stopped me. You have @Tanktimus the Encourager, @Sloth the Enduring, @DJtrippyT and @DarK_RaideR to thank. 

Thank you to the defenders of decency!

Past couple days are fine. I did a hard interval run on Tuesday. Wednesday my body was feeling pretty beat up, so I scaled back and took it pretty easy. Today I was able to do an easy trail run. Tomorrow should be able to do something a little harder. Behind on the strength training. Will do some now, but balance it with some gentle yoga.

Inspired by @Mistr, I've gotten my act together on the bathroom painting. Almost done...

• Like 4

Yay for painting your bathroom!

I was struck by how many fiddly bits there are to the job. I knew that prep takes time because I've painted before. Likewise washing brushes is time consuming. I forgot how long it takes to pick off the bits of masking tape that tear off, put back the outlet covers and shake out the drop cloths. I'm still fighting with the air vent cover that won't line up so I can put the screws back.

I hope your bathroom cooperates and you can enjoy the new look soon.

1 hour ago, Mistr said:

I was struck by how many fiddly bits there are to the job. I knew that prep takes time because I've painted before. Likewise washing brushes is time consuming. I forgot how long it takes to pick off the bits of masking tape that tear off, put back the outlet covers and shake out the drop cloths. I'm still fighting with the air vent cover that won't line up so I can put the screws back.

I enjoy the actual painting job. It's the prepping for painting and cleaning up that are so time consuming and often annoying.

• Like 1

On 10/2/2020 at 10:29 AM, Mistr said:

On 10/2/2020 at 11:49 AM, Elastigirl said:

I enjoy the actual painting job. It's the prepping for painting and cleaning up that are so time consuming and often annoying.

The bathroom is indeed quite a fiddly room to paint. In this case, there were also some technical things I hadn't done before...some crumbly/cracked dry wall to deal with and a popcorn ceiling to repaint. I got a little hung up on trying to make everything perfect. Then I decided it was good enough and that I should just finish the job. So I did. There are some parts that could probably use touching up, but I'm going to live with it for a few days and see what I think. I'm happy to have it more-or-less done. I still want to do something art-y in there (like the gold overlay), but again I think I need to live with the room a bit and see what inspires. I was originally thinking gold, but now seeing the paint on the wall, I think I might like a copper accent better. And I'm thinking maybe I could find some metallic art to hang that I like better than something I would paint. We'll see.

I had a big day today! Went out paddleboarding with a group of kayakers (they were nice and waited for me). Came home ate a bunch of food and took a nice bath. Dealt with some condo association craziness. Then went out mountain biking with some other friends ("mountain biking" is generous...more like "trail riding"). Then had another friend over to watch the Preakness (big horse race) outside. That's probably the most social interaction I've had in many months.

With the kayaking group, one of the women gave me a contact for someone who does Spanish lessons on line. I can't remember if I posted on that, but I had been hoping to enroll in an online Spanish class, but it filled up before I could register. For slightly cheaper, these would be individual lessons. I'm excited to try it. 

• Like 7

Have you looked into iTalki? It's awesome for conversation lessons and ridiculously affordable. I've used them for conversation practice.  One of the perks is you can pick the accent/location you'd most like to learn.  My person was from Madrid.  There are both formal and informal instructors, and you would want to try out a couple people to find the best one for you.  Just a thought!

• Like 2

On 9/5/2020 at 8:53 PM, Xena said:

1. Running: Make the hard days hard and the easy days easy. It's finally cool enough that it feel like there is a reasonable difference between my hard effort and my easy effort (rather than it all feeling like a terrible slog for survival). I'm really just gonna keep following my training plan. There are usually 2 "quality" runs of some sort during the week and a long run on weekends. Those will be as hard as they need to be. All other runs will be easy effort...will try to keep HR under 150.

I did ok on this. The best part was today. I managed to stick to the plan and run 10 miles with miles 4, 6 and 8 at a harder effort. During the summer (and up to just a couple weeks ago) I would have completely crashed out trying to do a workout like that. I'm loving the cooler running weather. I took a rest day in the middle of the week because I really needed it.

2. Strength: No catch phrase here, but I have a plan I want to try to stick with. It doesn't matter which days I do the things as long as I get them done: 2x hip/glute exercises, 2x upper body stuff, 1x core [also doing 4 online exercise classes the first 4 Mondays of the challenge and usually do a Saturday yoga class]. Likely schedule is M: Glute/push; T: Core, Th: Glute/pull. [with a few stretches, planks and pull-up negatives each time].

I did most of this (2x hip/glute; 2x upper body, 1 exercise class). I bailed on the core work because my back was bothering me. I know you need to do core work to protect your back etc, but that wasn't the day to be doing it.

3. Power up:  I'm gonna try creatine. The first couple days of the challenge, I'll just do one scoop and make sure it doesn't upset my stomach. Then I'll try for several days of 2x/day (loading) and then got back to once a day. Goal is just to stick with it through the challenge and see how I feel at the end of it. Won't really be able to attribute it specifically to creatine, but, will be looking at how I recover from various workouts.

Yeah, mostly. I think 5x this week.

4. Paint the bathroom: Yeah, so the other ones fill kind of vaguely like football-esque training. This one not so much. Goal is to get all the prep done (there is more than usual), prime it, and paint with regular paint. I want to do something fancy on one wall with a gold design overlay, but that part can come later (not a specific challenge goal...don't want to rush it because I'm still thinking about what I want to do).

Yes! Done!

• Like 2

23 hours ago, ladymorella said:

Sounds like a pretty good day!

Thanks! It really was.

17 hours ago, Kestrel Grey said:

Have you looked into iTalki? It's awesome for conversation lessons and ridiculously affordable. I've used them for conversation practice.  One of the perks is you can pick the accent/location you'd most like to learn.  My person was from Madrid.  There are both formal and informal instructors, and you would want to try out a couple people to find the best one for you.  Just a thought!

Wow! I hadn't heard of that. Thanks for the tip!

Well, in the spirit of my challenge theme, I did watch some football today (mostly with Bachelor #3) but unfortunately, our QB (Cam Newton) tested positive for covid, so the Pats game is postponed with kind of bleak prospects. Something is wrong when I'm more concerned about our QB being sick than our President...

[just joking a little, not making any serious political commentary or wishing bad health on anyone] 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Xena said:

I did ok on this. The best part was today. I managed to stick to the plan and run 10 miles with miles 4, 6 and 8 at a harder effort. During the summer (and up to just a couple weeks ago) I would have completely crashed out trying to do a workout like that. I'm loving the cooler running weather. I took a rest day in the middle of the week because I really needed it.

Do you think the difference is completely the heat?

Funny how after weeks of not seeing anyone in person, you see bunches of people in one weekend. That sounded like lots of fun. :D 

On 10/4/2020 at 9:02 PM, ladymorella said:

Do you think the difference is completely the heat?

Yep. Happens every year. The training I slogged through in the summer let me go faster once it cooled down. But yeah, weather has a much bigger effect on my than any ramping up and down of my training.

AND I HAVE NEWS!!

I found out today that I got into a marathon later this month (3 weeks from yesterday). Obviously it's not a good idea from any kind of reasonable athletic standpoint*, but it will get me State #31 (if I triumph over this obstacle). My BFF offered to support me on her bike and B#3 offered to run the last half with me. Not sure how I feel about having a witness to what is sure to be a very ugly athletic performance, but happy to have the offers.

The longest runs I've done in recent memory have been 13-14 miles. I have time to get in one longer run in this weekend.

• Like 8

oh wow, I really haven't been posting. I guess it's cause my challenge is pretty boring and unstructured this time around. Everything is going well though.

My two faster quality runs this week were Tuesday: 10x400 on descending pace and Friday: 5 miles with 20 min at tempo pace. I got them in as planned and ran easy the rest of the time. Tomorrow is the big day. I'm supposed to get in at least 18. It definitely won't be easy, but the weather is in my favor these days. This is the only really big run I'll get before the marathon, so I really need to try to get in the distance, even if it doesn't go well.

Strength training was also surprisingly good this week. I made 3 online classes (the last pilates class and 2 yoga classes). I also did 3 strength sessions. I'm working through the workouts in "quick strength for runners". I did two of those workouts, and then did a third that included one of the hip/glute videos and some dumbbell stuff.

uh my other goals were to paint my bathroom (done) and to keep taking creatine (yeah, more-or-less...probably 5x/week).

• Like 4

I guess my last post is more-or-less a wrap-up for the week. I can just add that I knocked out 19 miles this morning. It wasn't completely pretty, but I got it done. I did my favorite long run course: A couple miles on the bike path (just to knock off a bit of distance before you start to notice it), then a loop on the trail, then a chunk of miles on a hilly road, then finishing out the distance on a dead-flat bike path.

It's a physically hard but mentally easy run b/c the terrain gets progressively easier.

I feel really good having this one under my belt. Not ideal marathon training, but good enough.

• Like 4
  • That's Metal 1

On 10/5/2020 at 6:55 PM, Xena said:

I found out today that I got into a marathon later this month (3 weeks from yesterday). Obviously it's not a good idea from any kind of reasonable athletic standpoint*, but it will get me State #31 (if I triumph over this obstacle). My BFF offered to support me on her bike and B#3 offered to run the last half with me. Not sure how I feel about having a witness to what is sure to be a very ugly athletic performance, but happy to have the offers.

Yikes that's a quick turnaround time. Good thing you're a badass with the running :) 

Sounds like things are going pretty well with Bachelor #3 if he's offering to run a half marathon with you with 3 weeks notice

On 10/11/2020 at 9:18 PM, Xena said:

I guess my last post is more-or-less a wrap-up for the week. I can just add that I knocked out 19 miles this morning. It wasn't completely pretty, but I got it done. I did my favorite long run course: A couple miles on the bike path (just to knock off a bit of distance before you start to notice it), then a loop on the trail, then a chunk of miles on a hilly road, then finishing out the distance on a dead-flat bike path.

It's a physically hard but mentally easy run b/c the terrain gets progressively easier.

I feel really good having this one under my belt. Not ideal marathon training, but good enough.

awesome!!!!!! I cant even..... ❤️

On 10/11/2020 at 3:22 PM, Elastigirl said:

Way to go on getting the miles in. 

Thanks!

On 10/11/2020 at 7:08 PM, Kestrel Grey said:

Are you going to try for a goal time on the marathon?  I can't remember if you said there was a friend who would run it with you.

I'm nervous to name a goal. I guess I have a sort of tiered set of goals in mind.

Yes, there was someone but...

On 10/12/2020 at 5:40 PM, Maigs said:

Sounds like things are going pretty well with Bachelor #3 if he's offering to run a half marathon with you with 3 weeks notice

19 hours ago, Kestrel Grey said:

Oooh I missed that it was bachelor #3.  That sounds fun, and if it is an athletic train wreck it will give you two something to laugh over later.

Yep...bachelor #3, who I've just been dating for a little while. Kind of interesting relationship progression when the first big milestone was whether I liked him enough to let him into my covid bubble. Now I guess the next decision is whether it's really such a good idea to let him see me under what will likely be very ugly circumstances. I saw these posts earlier today and it reminded me that I should really lighten up about the whole thing. My best friend is possibly coming out too with her bike. I was concerned about whether it would be awkward to have them both there, and I've decided I don't care. I'll tell everybody what the situation is and let them decide what they want to do. The whole thing is kind of a hassle. The race is in Rhode Island, which is on the travel restriction list for us. The details of the rule don't really make sense*, but following the letter of the law, we are supposed to declare the travel and quarantine for 14 days or until we get a negative test.

(They don't make sense because of the timing that is allowed/required for the test. They mostly make sense as a travel deterrent.)

8 hours ago, fearless 2.0 said:

awesome!!!!!! I cant even..... ❤️

It's not so bad. It's not like there's a bicycle involved or something 🙂

• Like 3