Xena pushes into the endzone

Hard interval workout yesterday. Easy run and some yoga with Adriene today.

Tomorrow I'm meeting two friends for a drink in one of their garages (supposed to rain again)...he said "it will be like a funky whisky bar." That made me laugh! Who wouldn't want to go to a weird garage whisky bar?!

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
On 10/16/2020 at 3:00 PM, Mistr said:

The whiskey bar sounds like fun.

The whiskey bar was fun! [though to be clear, it was just 3 people sitting on folding chairs in a garage]. We BYO drinks. I usually bring wine that I actually portion into an old small whiskey bottle (which I know is quirky, but it helps me stick to just drinking a safe amount for driving).

Sunday I didn't get in most of the 10-12 miles I was supposed to do. I had some plans for most of the day, so I got up at oh-dark-thirty to do the run. A couple miles into it, I realized my water pack had sprung a big leak (grrrr). As I was heading home, it also became increasingly urgent to get to the bathroom (hard to sort all that out when your body is moving much earlier than usual). I got home (in time!) but then couldn't muster the will to head back out. Ended up with only 4 miles. Whatever. it's fine. I did 7 on the trail today to sort of balance it out.

I had a fun reason for getting up so early. My BFF and I headed on a day trip to visit one of her close friends and hear his band play. We hung out in his yard for a whole afternoon sitting in the sun (total of 8 people and 2 dogs, including the band). It was a really nice day...probably the most normal day I've spent since the pandemic started. It's also the first time I got to spend a big chunk of time like that with my friend, so I even appreciated the drive.

With covid numbers creeping up and colder weather coming in, I'm seeing this past weekend and my next one (the marathon) as kind of a last hurrah for a while. I'm taking a few cautious risks, but then am going to retreat quit a bit more for the next several weeks.

• Like 2

Challenge summary

On 9/5/2020 at 8:53 PM, Xena said:

1. Running: Make the hard days hard and the easy days easy. It's finally cool enough that it feel like there is a reasonable difference between my hard effort and my easy effort (rather than it all feeling like a terrible slog for survival). I'm really just gonna keep following my training plan. There are usually 2 "quality" runs of some sort during the week and a long run on weekends. Those will be as hard as they need to be. All other runs will be easy effort...will try to keep HR under 150.

I think I did pretty great on this. I got in all 8 quality runs and 3/4 of the longer runs. This included a 19-miler after I decided to do a marathon super crash training plan of sorts. I was really careful to keep the effort in check on the recovery runs. Looking at my logs, I'm in similar shape to what I was last year at this time and maybe slightly better than I was in the spring.

2. Strength: No catch phrase here, but I have a plan I want to try to stick with. It doesn't matter which days I do the things as long as I get them done: 2x hip/glute exercises, 2x upper body stuff, 1x core [also doing 4 online exercise classes the first 4 Mondays of the challenge and usually do a Saturday yoga class]. Likely schedule is M: Glute/push; T: Core, Th: Glute/pull. [with a few stretches, planks and pull-up negatives each time].

The plan has kind of evolved over time, but I've been more consistent with strength training that usual. Not doing anything spectacular, but anything consistent is better than nothing.

3. Power up:  I'm gonna try creatine. The first couple days of the challenge, I'll just do one scoop and make sure it doesn't upset my stomach. Then I'll try for several days of 2x/day (loading) and then got back to once a day. Goal is just to stick with it through the challenge and see how I feel at the end of it. Won't really be able to attribute it specifically to creatine, but, will be looking at how I recover from various workouts.

Yeah, I've been taking it, but I have no idea if it has any effect. I'm feeling pretty good these days, but I usually feel pretty good this time of year. I'll keep taking it for a couple more weeks to finish out the jar then decide whether to get more. Realistically, there are probably other things I could do with my diet that have a bigger effect than creatine.

4. Paint the bathroom: Yeah, so the other ones fill kind of vaguely like football-esque training. This one not so much. Goal is to get all the prep done (there is more than usual), prime it, and paint with regular paint. I want to do something fancy on one wall with a gold design overlay, but that part can come later (not a specific challenge goal...don't want to rush it because I'm still thinking about what I want to do).

Yes, did the basic painting. Now I'm having a construction project done in the house, so I'm not taking on anything else for a while.

• Like 2