• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Elennare

Elennare Keeps Going!

The last 2 changes have gone really well for me, so I'm going to mostly stick with that. Adding some tweaks, partially to transition from a diet to sustainable lifestyle and partially because I am trying something new.

The plan:

Exercise 6 out of 7 days. Currently that's a mix of the NF Chin-up Challenge and pilates, but I switch it up randomly depending on how I'm feeling.

Eat good. What does that look like? Avoiding added sugar, except for 2 treats a month. I also avoid dairy and wheat, because those don't like me. The 2 treats a month are new, as is my plan to eat 800g of fruits and veggies every day in September. That's coming from another fitness group I'm in. The idea is you'll fill up on healthy stuff and therefore not have room for junk. I don't know that that's a magic number or anything, but it is helping me eat more fruits and veggies, which I've been trying to do for a while, so it's useful for that.

Let's go kick the start of fall's butt! And then hopefully I'll manage to come up with a fun theme for the next challenge. 😁

• Like 3

Well, zero week is not off to a great start. Yesterday, my allergies started going nuts, and I've spent yesterday and today feeling sick. I hate allergies. And when I say nuts, I'm talking runny nose and a bit of a sinus headache, and generally dead feeling after taking allergy medicine and Sudafed!

So, I didn't exercise, and didn't really hit my fruit and veggies goal. Though, given that I didn't eat tons, period, yesterday and today, I probably wasn't too far off from a ratio standpoint.

I'm sure I'll feel better tomorrow. Because, 1, this seems to happen monthly and I feel like crap for 2 days, and 2, I have to go back to work tomorrow, after losing most of the 3-day weekend to feeling bad. 😡

Anyway, back on track tomorrow, I'm sure!

• Sad 1

Stupid periods ruining everything. Iirc, you talked to your doc about that - did they find anything or suggest things you could do to improve the side effects? 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Manarelle said:

Stupid periods ruining everything. Iirc, you talked to your doc about that - did they find anything or suggest things you could do to improve the side effects? 

Sadly, I have not talked to the doctor yet. I started trying to gather some good data so the conversation could be more than "make a detailed log of your symptoms for the next 6 months and then we'll look at stuff," but then covid hit and my recording things went out the window and I'm not comfortable going to the doctor, so, no. No insights from the doctor. That said, the supplements and no sugar seem to be helping at least some of the issues I was having.

Today has been an interesting day. Very overcast, but the creepy orange tinge implies it's more smoke than clouds. Luckily we haven't been smelling it, though the air quality isn't great. Winds are supposed to pick up tonight, and I have little hope we won't get absolutely inundated with smoke after that because we are directly downwind of a fire, per the currently forecast winds. NorCal got the wind starting this morning and it has been nuts up there. All the fires that were already going exploded and a bunch of new ones started. At least one town got so much smoke it looked like the middle of night at 3pm. Not exaggerating, there was video. Hopefully it won't get that bad here, but who knows. We've now got the highest amount of land burned in a fire season, and we haven't even reached the normal start of fire season!

Good on my eating so far. I expect that to continue through dinner, though I don't know what we're having yet. And I will be doing the chin-up challenge workout today.

• Sad 2

So, in case anyone is interested in following what's happening on the west coast right now, check out the comments section on this blog (the most recent post): weatherwest.com

It's run by a UCLA meteorologist, and the comments section is full of weather nerds, so there is always a lot of good discussion/information there. Most of it way more technical than I can really follow, but I do enjoy weather watching, so it's informative. Right now, it is absolutely full of the latest information on the fires. It's rather terrifying, honestly.

Just recently (like, an hour or two ago), one of the fires in Oregon reached a not insignificant city. The fire is in the process of burning through it. Through the middle of downtown. This is not a group of houses built in the forest, this is a moderate-sized city. I also have friends in Washington who posted pictures of large smoke plumes visible from their houses.

We're probably still at least an hour away from the wind picking up around here, assuming the forecast is correct. Given that they've nailed it for the rest of the state so far, I'm going to assume it's going to be right. We could smell smoke a bit at 8 when we went outside to do our pull-ups. We're about 27 miles away from the closest fire, but it is very likely directly upwind from us. There were fires earlier today in NorCal that went that far in a few hours.

The chances of us actually having any issues besides lots of smoke are fairly small, but I would much rather be prepared and not need it than have to scramble with no time. So, I'm going to pack up a bag with some clothes (and shoes!) for everyone, along with some snacks, kitty food, and a few important papers/sentimental things before I go to bed.

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, Elennare said:

The chances of us actually having any issues besides lots of smoke are fairly small, but I would much rather be prepared and not need it than have to scramble with no time. So, I'm going to pack up a bag with some clothes (and shoes!) for everyone, along with some snacks, kitty food, and a few important papers/sentimental things before I go to bed.

Good call. And good that you have such a reliable site to keep abreast of things on. 

• Like 1

Update: can't speak for anyone else, but we're still good. Very smokey this morning, with low air quality, but it looks like the fire I was concerned about did not get pushed by the wind (yet). Here's hoping that continues to hold, and the wind dies down everywhere!

Edit: Further update at 10:30am.  The Santa Ana winds never developed.  Quite possibly as a direct result of just how much smoke is in the air and it messing up weather patterns.  Instead, it is eerily still out side.  Like, the air is not moving at all still.  And very orange, which isn't helping the eerie feeling.  But at least we're not in NorCal, where large swaths of the state basically just didn't get morning today.  Seems SoCal dodged the bullet, for now.

• Like 2

Here's a fun picture! Just took this out my window, after the light suddenly shifted way more orange. There's what are either clouds or a high layer of smoke, and then the new plume of smoke, much lower and darker, that's moving in. And yes, that's the sun.

Edit: Husband just got back from the store and said there's a light sprinkling of ash falling.

20200909_162334.thumb.jpg.34bdbf5e6e68a16b0c284e1b16889e76.jpg

• Wow 1

12 hours ago, Epsilonte said:

As if 2020 wasn't apocalyptic enough... 😕 

Wishing you all the best (and enough rain to kill the fires without flooding everything)!

Thanks!  That is, unfortunately, quite a tall order.  Something about the soil in California, at least, kind of prevents it from absorbing water after it's been in a really high-heat fire.  So, any substantial rain tends to just roll off the surface, at best, or turn into a giant mud slide, at worst.

Also, I just found out the other day that every 100-200 years, California floods.  Like, the middle of the state between the mountains under 15 feet of water flooding.  And, the last one of those was not quite 200 years ago.  Given the way 2020 has been going, I'm kind of dreading rainy season...

• Sad 3

So yesterday afternoon, as I was slogging through the 3rd day of work this week where I couldn't think, while being very tired and hungry, it occurred to me that my burnout is flaring back up. Probably explains the slight lightheadedness I've been having, too. So after I finished work, I didn't do anything. No exercise, just relaxed. And I'm doing the same thing today. Took a sick day today, in fact.

On top of that, I'm going stir crazy today. I really want to go skating. Like, relaxing skating, not workout skating. Because it's fun and relaxing. But, the air quality index is in the 150s. That's the start of the unhealthy for everyone range, I believe. And we've got some of the better air in the state right now! So no skating. Or lounging in the hammock. 😭 Thinking about running to the store, but, pandemic, so that's not relaxing at all. Even if it's shopping for craft supplies. I want to take my time looking at all the Halloween decorations and whatnot, but the longer I'm in the store the riskier it is, so that's out, too!

I'm done with it being orange and gross outside. I'd take 100+ degrees over this. But at least I'm doing better than my relatives in Oregon, who had to evacuate because there's a fire getting close to their house.

And, while I haven't been hitting my fruit and veggie goal, I've been doing fairly well with my food. Though I did have some ice cream today. It was a planned treat, to celebrate a successful first week of school. That makes 2 for the month, so no more treats until October.

I am seriously thinking we need to get off the west coast, assuming we don't leave the country. I love it here, but I don't think I can deal with all the smoke being a yearly thing. Though, my current most promising job prospect is in Florida, so really, we'd be trading one type of yearly disaster for another. But hurricanes don't make it impossible to breathe outside for weeks, so there's that.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

I highly suggest you don't come here.  150+ is a normal day here

Current top considerations are Canada or New Zealand.  Canada is certainly easier to get to, but at the moment New Zealand actually looks to have better job options for me.  We're also struggling a bit to stay afloat (mentally) with current responsibilities/situation, so there hasn't actually been any leftover bandwidth to actually work on planning such a big move.  So, honestly, we're probably not actually going anywhere for a while.

Turns out Friday was not the end of the treats.  I had several more over the weekend.  And didn't do any exercise.  I needed the break, mentally and physically.  I have also learned several things.  One - no sweetener of any sort is not sustainable for me.  Two - I don't feel great when I eat lots ("lots" - it was still less than I was eating before!) of sugar.  Three - I need a happy middle.

I really do think I know what the happy middle is.  I did it before and it worked and I felt great.  No grains, no legumes, no cane sugar.  Natural sweeteners (honey, fruit juice, etc) is ok.  So I think going forward, I'm going to give that a shot.  I know I keep changing things up, but I keep learning new things about me.  And, I think Husband is going to try it with me, which will make things easier.  He was commenting last night that he likes the way he feels on keto but he can't maintain that long-term.  I'm hoping this will be a good compromise for both of us.

The air is still bad here.  The weather was supposed to change a bit today and possibly make the air better.  It either didn't change, or didn't help the air as expected, because it's actually slightly worse today than it was over the weekend.  I want to skate, and I have a mermaid tail to try out, and I want to keep working on my pull-ups with the rings, but I can't do any of that when the air is bad. :(  So I will be digging out my TRX knockoff so we can do the "no bar?" options and not get any further behind on the challenge.

• Like 2

Sorry you guys are still having such a rough go with the fires and the air quality. Ugh ugh ugh. Glad you're finding out what works for you though! 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Elennare said:

I really do think I know what the happy middle is.  I did it before and it worked and I felt great.  No grains, no legumes, no cane sugar.  Natural sweeteners (honey, fruit juice, etc) is ok.  So I think going forward, I'm going to give that a shot.  I know I keep changing things up, but I keep learning new things about me.  And, I think Husband is going to try it with me, which will make things easier.  He was commenting last night that he likes the way he feels on keto but he can't maintain that long-term.  I'm hoping this will be a good compromise for both of us.

That's what learning is - trying and tweaking. No point in staying with a set plan if it isn't working. Hope the compromise works out and is sustainable for you both. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, raptron said:

Sorry you guys are still having such a rough go with the fires and the air quality. Ugh ugh ugh.

Sadly, there's a very good chance we'll be stuck with it until it really rains.  Which very plausibly won't be until the end of October, or later!  That's approximately when the rainy season starts, and it's been starting later in the year than "normal" for the last couple years.  And the fire season started really early this year (and is the worst ever by far).  To top it off, the fire near us, that's most likely responsible for most of the smoke we're dealing with, dropped from 6% contained to 3% contained last night.  Yuck all around.

Pulled out the knock-off TRX last night to do the chin-ups.  Couldn't find the no-bar workout options, because I forgot to bookmark the challenge page and it's not featured any more since it's officially over.  Tried to do the bar workout on the thing attached to the door.  It was...less than optimal.  But I did it!  And someone on the discord was able to link me to the workouts, so I am prepared for the rest of them.

Ordered groceries for pickup yesterday, but they won't be ready until this afternoon, so it looks like I won't be getting back into "good" eating until tomorrow, or possibly dinner tonight.  Because we're pretty out of food at the moment.  Also super annoyed at the avocado oil I just bought.  We usually get it from Costco, because they have a good brand (Chosen Foods - recently found by a study a university did to be one of the few companies that's not selling rancid or diluted avocado oil), but they were out on our last trip.  So I ordered some from Thrive Market, because we were out.  Started making some paleo bread, tasted the dough as I was mixing it, and it tasted gross.  There was a weird, off flavor in it that made it basically inedible.  Turns out the avocado oil was the culprit.  It is bad.  Based on the flavor, I suspect it's rancid.  We bought 2 bottles.  Haven't tasted the second bottle yet, but I do not have high hopes.  So looks like I'm going to be contacting customer service...and we probably still don't have any avocado oil.  Usually I am very happy with Thrive Market and their house-branded products.  But not this one!  Looks like I'm going to be looking into Costco's new grocery/cleaning supplies delivery service...

• Like 2

That's odd that there would just be a standard of rancid oil... like people who go for avocado oil are probably more likely to be aware of food freshness, sooooo...? 

Congrats on getting the workouts linked and done! And here's to an early rainy season, too. 

• Like 1

Let's see...yesterday was rest day for chin-ups, so I ended up doing some random exercises sprinkled throughout the day and a plank before bed. Got stuck at work late today, so looks like I'm going to be doing squats while I brush my teeth instead of the scheduled chin-up stuff.

Food is mostly back on track, which is good. Still feel a bit meh, but it's going to take more than one day of mostly but not entirely eating well to sort that out. Plus I've gotten woken up early multiple times by a yelling cat and children the last two mornings, so I'm sure that's not helping. And when I say early, I mean the cat came in the room yelling at like 3am and then repeated hourly for a couple hours. And then a kid at 6:30. Today was only woken up twice by the cat, and once at 6:50 by the other child. Bleh.

Update on the oil: both bottles were bad. So I contacted Thrive Market, and not only did they refund my money, they are going to do an investigation into how I got bad oil. So hopefully no one else will have that happen. I am pretty happy with them, all things considered. Still not planning to buy that oil again, though. I think Trader Joe's has the good kind, just in small bottles. I will probably go try there tomorrow.

The air quality wasn't as bad this morning! It was "moderate" in whatever system weather bug uses instead of "low" like it has been, and I could actually see a bit of blue sky. Unfortunately, it went down hill from there. It was back to low by the afternoon, and they're expecting it to get up to "poor" (the worst rating on their scale) overnight. Yuck. I'm going to have smoked eggplant by the time they're ready to pick.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Elennare said:

"poor" (the worst rating on their scale)

Our scale tops out at 500 (extremely hazardous) but we used t get days that were even off those charts.  It has been very weird seeing the US with worse air quality we are having over here  

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

1 hour ago, WhiteGhost said:

Our scale tops out at 500 (extremely hazardous) but we used t get days that were even off those charts.  It has been very weird seeing the US with worse air quality we are having over here  

I believe that's the official scale (Air Quality Index), but for whatever reason, Weather Bug (my weather app) has decided to use their own scale.  It's somewhat annoying, honestly.  Apparently some of our smoke has made it all the way across the US and even to Europe!  So if you wait a bit, you might get some of it, too. I love sharing with my friends. 😜  (For real, I hate that we're sharing smoke.  Wish everything wasn't on fire.)  And on the other coast, it's been sucked into a low pressure center and is making a very pretty swirl out over the ocean.

Let's see if I did this correctly...

https://images.app.goo.gl/ftz2czDFsAjFAobLA

Yay, it works!  But you'll have to click on the link to see the picture.  Sorry.

• Wow 1

Good news! The air actually cleared up some, enough that it wasn't hazardous to asthmatic lungs to be outside, so we got to do the chin-up challenge workout on the rings. Little One is super close to doing a chin-up with no assistance. Little Bug has a bit further to go, but is also getting close. I am still very far away and therefore jealous. 😜 I am making progress however, so I'm very happy about that. Thinking about starting it again at the higher level I'm going to end at once we finish. I want to get pull-ups!

Did ok eating today, but had a few more chocolate chips than I should have. I was also starving all day, so I ate a lot. On the up side, I made paleo rolls instead of ordering ice cream, so that was a big win.

I'm going to try to enjoy the clean ("clean") air while it lasts, because the fires are still going strong and who knows how long it'll last.

• Like 1