Cry Havoc™: The Scoundrel Who Robbed Death Twice

Rurik Harrgath

340?cb=20130813094952

A grizzled veteran of a mercenary guild known as the Company of the Blazing Star, Harrgath is known across the territory as a talented scout, investigator, a tireless tracker, and fearsome assassin, well known for his enigmatic experience in dealing with rogue arcanists and tyrant sorcerers.  Though usually open to whoever lines his coffers deepest, in recent years he has unwittingly fallen into the trap of accepting most contracts through intermediaries of the Dynasty families and their zealous Inquisition.  Though these contracts are reliable in their sources (usually) and stable income (most of the time), they pose more than just a small risk – on the job or upon its completion when it comes time to collect payment.

Though exceedingly talented even among the brotherhood, Harrgath resents Dynasty rule and the aristocratic class system, always having suspected there was more to his fate than employment as a mere pawn for those of higher breeding and too fond of silk under-robes for his liking.

Known magic users and even those adepts with suspected arcane potential are kept under a watchful eye, often clandestinely exterminated by the mystical-fearing Dynasty families spread thinly throughout the territory or employed under this tyrant ruling class as indentured scholars and slave labor.  They live to serve dynastic rulers knowing one misstep would bring the full ire of the Inquisition down upon them in a moment’s notice.

Just this morning, Harrgath was contacted through encrypted memorandum.  Within, a contract was demanded of him by one of the eldest sons of a royal family, politely ‘asking’ that he eliminate the ‘vile, fetid and altogether nuisance’ feline familiar of a certain Council of Twelve member.

The implied consequences for failing to do so were exceedingly dire.

And worse yet, he was expected to take a partner along.

image.png

mortal-engines-trailer-2018-8.jpg

Welcome to Cry Havoc, the horizon-chaser and sky-armory of the arcane gunslinger known as Rurik Harrgath.

Rurik Harrgath is a Gunslinger (in a really sweet duster cloak and cool f*cking hat) with an Arcane Marksman archetype, which means he is primarily concerned with martial skill centered around his artisan pistols Death and Taxes made by the finest artificers and then extensively modified again by himself, but heavily supplemented by arcane knowledge and elemental magic.  He can fire basic steel shot rounds, charge his pistols with frost or fire spells, or chain all of his abilities together as a combo breaker and unleash and true storm of magical damage to blow foes away, all the while relying on his acrobatics, teleportation abilities, and reflexes to avoid incoming damage.

Challenge skills and traits immediately below, with character stats updated in my signature. I went with the more amusing, lighthearted stat names from Wildstar rather than conventional D&D strength, dexterity, etc.

Offensive Skills

• [Spellsurge]:  A damage-dealing ability usable while on the move.  Although quite adept at finding that perfect opening for a volley of gunfire or that perfect spell while standing still, Harrgath must be agile and always on the move to avoid incoming damage while maximizing my own, so I must move for 20mins daily.  Deals Two (2) damage once per week.
  • [Deadly Barrage]: Among the strongest of Harrgath’s offensive abilities, this is an intensely focused volley of gunfire and arcane missiles that should undo any foe.  If I want seated strict muscle-ups and a kettlebell physique and more Muay Thai skills, I must practice these each twice per week.  These are my primary offensive traits, each completed pair does One (1) damage each for a total of Three (3) damage weekly.
  • [Evasive Maneuvers]: The primary defensive ability of any arcane marksman.  After so many hours spent adventuring, exploring or chasing my next contract wracks up mileage on the body.  Stretching before workouts will keep me limber for longer.
  • [C-c-c-combo Breaker!]:  Harrgath knows the value of continuing to sharply hone his skills regardless of how inconvenient it might seem; these incremental strikes build up over time before unleashing in an onslaught of devastating firepower.  While I was at Airborne School, we had to complete 6+ pull-ups at the rig outside the building before going inside.  I have been slowly implanting this ‘fee’ every time I go down my hallway toward the bathroom, so my goal is to complete 10+ hangboard pull-ups daily for a weekly total of over 70.  Completing as assigned contributes Five (5) damage points every week.

Discipline Abilities

• [Regenerative Infusion]:  Any battlefield medic knows how invaluable health and well-being are, especially one well versed in violence and the unpredictability of frontier life.  Learning which frontier dishes will sustain him longest and which alchemical cocktails will jump-start his adrenal system before action is essential.  As always, my focus is on whole foods & intuitive nutrition every day.
  • [Phase Shift]:  Even with all of Harrgath’s equipment in ‘perfect’ (more or less) working order, no adventurer can prepare for everything and something is bound to go wrong.  Harrgath can activate this ability to phase shift out of reality to avoid incoming damage.  If cleanliness is next to godliness, I must maintain my minimalist mini-habit (put 2 pieces of clutter away when in a room) and complete a weekly clean.
  • [Target Acquisition]: Castable even at a distance, this ability allows Harrgath to pinpoint the most important target among a crowd, or if solo, to immediately determine a foe’s composition before an effective, merciless strike.  No man is truly an island, not even a magic-wielding, arcane-slinging, bullet-volleying bounty hunter like Harrgath, so I will follow Five (5) new challenges per week.
  • [Gather Focus]:  After a long week of exploring ruins or a days-long expedition chasing after a cunning bounty, our adventurer returns to the nearest Rest Zone to refit, recharge, and build-up some Rested Experience points to help grind the next session.  Here is my self-care check-in to practice gratitude and share self-improvement lessons.

image.png

Challenge SummaryWhat a wild trip 2020 has truly been!  I still have some major power moves on the horizon (that recent career switch, potential housing upheaval), I just can't anchor myself to any one physical place as my sole fortress-monastery.  With that in mind, I'm re-routing this challenge thematically from a hardened, stoic 40k Inquisitor to a more playful, rebellious Wildstar scoundrel.  Where there is a will, there is a way (and where this is a way, there are rules to be broken)!  So let this challenge be my system, my routine, to slowly get my cupcake arse back onto the frontier, exploring those new civilizations and chasing that horizon - every. damn. day.

DSG_Strife_628x183_1.gif?t=1590127828

• Like 14
  • That's Metal 3

[ Level ?? ]    Havoc, the Cyberpunk Outrider. 

BRUTALITY 13 | FINESSE 12 | GRIT 13  | INSIGHT 15 | MOXIE 13

Challenges1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR.

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wolfpool.

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager.

A+ collective completion of Offensive Skill goals results in Boss kill (2x 10 dmg each against 20HP).

One (1) damage taken (-1 hp) if any Offensive Skill goal is missed.

Regenerate One (1) health point for every A+ weekly Discipline Abilities score.

Week 1:

10    Damage dealt (100%).

10   damage dealt by @spezzy

featured-thecurator.jpg

Week 1 boss Arcane Construct (0/20hp) defeated.

Week 2:

10    Damage dealt (100%).

10   damage dealt by @spezzy

dungeon-of-the-mad-mage-1280x640.jpg

Week 1 boss Mad Mage (0/20hp) defeated.

• Like 4

Challenges1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR.

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wolfpool.

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager.

It's good to see you back again :)

26 minutes ago, Rurik Harrgath said:

I realize even with certain uncertainty, where there is a will (or a plan) there is a way.

That's a solid truth right there, one we can all keep in mind when everything else seems to be going wrong or worse. You'll find your way, we'll help where we can.

• Like 2

"The old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.

From the ashes a fire shall be woken, a light from the shadows shall spring."

Yeti on Flickr - Facebook - Instagram

tenor.gif

Always so happy to see you return here.

42 minutes ago, Rurik Harrgath said:

I cannot count on triumphant motivation, but I can slowly rebuild and reforge the artifacts [Heart of the Starforge], [His Solemn Regalia], and [Harrgath’s Iron Will] to feel complete and whole once again, under the watchful eyes of discipline and an eye for the man I’ll need to for future days.

Motivation is a fickle friend, discipline is ride or die.

• Like 5

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

A Rurik challenge! 

[the crowd goes wild]

• Like 5

the year of living trippily

The most current of all: Final Boss  Previous:    Adult Content

Brain Weasels    Choose Your Own Adventure Woman of Mystery -   Worth i Simplicity     

Spoiler

Take it Outside II

Take it Outside

Even More Current: 52 Days

Currently Current: 100 Days

Current: Queen 2: Electric Boogaloo

Queen of the Jungle

THE PEOPLE'S CHOICE CHALLENGE

Apart six: Amazon  (part 5)

(part 3: The Wickening)

(part 2) (part 1)

Hello, old friend - good choice on the sanctum 😄

• Like 1

Level 74 Wood Elf Druid

Druid: || 59 | 60 | 61 | 61.5 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 ||

Ranger: || 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 ||

||Char/RPG||
STR: 57 || DEX: 59 || STA: 52 || CON: 47 || WIS: 59 || CHA: 59

Challenge Journal:

Weight:  219lbs .

This is just a quick update because it's late and I'm tired.  Unlike many I worked today, since holidays are the perfect day to find customers at home, but it wasn't very successful on the sales front.  So my Big Brain thoughts about the Rurik In 5 Years that this challenge is built around must needs wait for a day I'm more coherent.

Until then!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQIKBOMXYmt-NfcqiChFvs

Here's some climbing #MomoaMonday to tide you over.

• Apothecarium:   ☐☐☐☐☐☐
  • Monastery Maintenance: 
  • Artifact Research & Armory:  ☐☐☐☐☐☐. .
  • Chamber of Reflection: 
  • Librarium:  

Ongoing To-Do List mini-quests…

• Read:  [In Progress
  • Minimalism: 

On 9/6/2020 at 3:32 PM, Dusk said:

Hello my old friend! :)

Ooh, it's such a strange time when big changes are on the horizon but they haven't come yet. I hope you can find some peace among the uncertainty!

I'm stuck on the page turn knowing from whence I came but wondering what text is waiting for me in the coming chapter!

9 hours ago, DarK_RaideR said:

Rurik AND Shadowlion showing up for this challenge?!

Fingers cross they stick around, don't wanna jinx this...

Well here's an update, let's call that a start...

13 hours ago, Big_Show said:

Hey dude, good to see you!  How long have you been doing Muay Thai for?

Since February.  I went to my training center for a couple of months, and then I've been doing home workouts using YouTube or video coaching ever since.

19 hours ago, darkfoxx said:

Hello, old friend - good choice on the sanctum 😄

Thank you, my friend!  Glad to see you pop by.  :D

On 9/6/2020 at 4:04 PM, DJtrippyT said:

A Rurik challenge! 

[the crowd goes wild]

That crowd should know better than to cheer to loudly until the start of Week 1 hahaha

On 9/6/2020 at 3:51 PM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Always so happy to see you return here.

Motivation is a fickle friend, discipline is ride or die.

I'm trying to turn discipline into my Vin Diesel then. 

On 9/6/2020 at 3:39 PM, iatetheyeti said:

It's good to see you back again :)

That's a solid truth right there, one we can all keep in mind when everything else seems to be going wrong or worse. You'll find your way, we'll help where we can.

You too!  It's just a matter of embracing the grind, the hustle, the flow.

Which has never been my specialty.  🤣

• Like 9

Good to see you, dude :) 

High five handshake hand hug GIF - Find on GIFER

Wolf

• Like 2

Wild Wolf- LEVEL 2 (but probably more like lvl 50 if I didn't respawn so much)

Class: Howler/ Height: 6'2 / Weight: 192#

Stats: MIGHT: 12 / CONSTITUTION: 9 / DEXTERITY: 11 / PERCEPTION: 10 / INTELLECT: 9 / RESOLVE: 13

Instagram: @ryanwolfbell / Facebook: Ryan Wolf Bell / Bible App (YouVersion) Ryan Wolf Bell

Current Challenge: Omnis Vir Lupus

Spoiler

Last Challenge(s): 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10/11/12/13/14/15/16

Unchained Predator Saga: 1

Epic Challenges: Welcome to the Fireteam & Wolfpool 

Know, O prince, that once the sun burns out and the earth's core becomes solid and cold, there will come a man to provide the endless energy needed to sustain life and for the planets to keep moving. He is the source of light and the warmth of hope back into the hearts of humanity...." - Dark_Raider

A wolf rises in my heart; against my darkness; against my demons; against my despair. I DECLARE WAR!

Romans 8:28 (CSB) We know that all things work together for the good of those who love God, who are called according to His purpose.

3 hours ago, Wild Wolf said:

Wolf

Speaking of people whom it is good to see...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

On 9/7/2020 at 11:30 PM, Rurik Harrgath said:
  •  

c495dee75f232078408583c34d1523b2.png Challenge Journal:

Weight:  217lbs .

I've never posted by mobile before, but since I work some ridiculous long days and usually have free time while I'm out on the road like some kind of fire safety Mad Max, I figured I might as well give it a try!

Now that I'm finally getting settled in, I've set some very modest but reasonable goals for myself this challenge. I do a fair stiff 20/4(ish) Intermittent Fasting schedule most days, giving me a decent refeed window that suits my lifestyle fine 90% of the time and I can see the difference that makes for body composition. 

I just need to nail that movement routine. So whether it's before work or after, just about every day needs some movement - whether it's yoga, HIIT or kettlebells, running or Muay Thai, I just need to make time to move this old work horse even after a 14hr work day.

And that's the plan! Based on my schedule today, I should be home in decent time so let's commit to a kettlebell workout tonight, shall we?

378c843689458af3feaab3416ce90c8e.png

Go, Thor, go!

• Apothecarium:   ☑☑☑☐☐☐☐
  • Monastery Maintenance: 
  • Artifact Research & Armory:  ☑☑☑☐☐☐.☑.
  • Chamber of Reflection: I'm on a good roll lately. Some pleasant developments in my personal life, the new job has been a huge improvement over jail guard life, and I'm enjoying the independence of independent contractor/road warrior life.
  • Librarium:  forthcoming.

• Read:  [In Progress
  • Minimalism: 

On 9/8/2020 at 9:27 AM, Wild Wolf said:

Good to see YOU, dude!

On 9/8/2020 at 5:59 PM, Cheetah said:

Nice goals!

Happy Challenge!

Happy challenge to you as well, cheetah! Happy to see you. 

On 9/9/2020 at 9:42 AM, doctorake said:

Following along! Been a while.

It has been a LONG while. Glad you're still knocking around these parts!

4 hours ago, spezzy said:

giphy.gif

in for artifact repair! And everything else :)

Can anybody help me, there seems to be a duck with a deadlifting problem following me around and I'm very scared... 😬

• Like 7

19 minutes ago, Rurik Harrgath said:

Can anybody help me, there seems to be a duck with a deadlifting problem following me around and I'm very scared...

Normally I'd help, but the duck is my boss so you are on your own.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, Rurik Harrgath said:

Good to see YOU, dude!

New trending GIF tagged thor wink chris hemsworth… | Trending Gifs

22 hours ago, Rurik Harrgath said:

so let's commit to a kettlebell workout tonight, shall we?

How did the KB workout go??

Wolf

• Like 1

Wild Wolf- LEVEL 2 (but probably more like lvl 50 if I didn't respawn so much)

Class: Howler/ Height: 6'2 / Weight: 192#

Stats: MIGHT: 12 / CONSTITUTION: 9 / DEXTERITY: 11 / PERCEPTION: 10 / INTELLECT: 9 / RESOLVE: 13

Instagram: @ryanwolfbell / Facebook: Ryan Wolf Bell / Bible App (YouVersion) Ryan Wolf Bell

Current Challenge: Omnis Vir Lupus

Spoiler

Last Challenge(s): 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10/11/12/13/14/15/16

Unchained Predator Saga: 1

Epic Challenges: Welcome to the Fireteam & Wolfpool 

Know, O prince, that once the sun burns out and the earth's core becomes solid and cold, there will come a man to provide the endless energy needed to sustain life and for the planets to keep moving. He is the source of light and the warmth of hope back into the hearts of humanity...." - Dark_Raider

A wolf rises in my heart; against my darkness; against my demons; against my despair. I DECLARE WAR!

Romans 8:28 (CSB) We know that all things work together for the good of those who love God, who are called according to His purpose.

On 9/10/2020 at 3:42 PM, Terra said:

So very happy to see you here!  Working in a solid foundation while there is change on the horizon is a wise choice.  

Thank you, Terra! It's good to be back. I know how good this place is for me, and it seems like a crossroads is when that safe place is needed most.

On 9/10/2020 at 3:58 PM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Normally I'd help, but the duck is my boss so you are on your own.

We need to find some bread crumbs. 

On 9/11/2020 at 2:34 PM, Wild Wolf said:

New trending GIF tagged thor wink chris hemsworth… | Trending Gifs

How did the KB workout go??

Ain't gonna lie to you, bruv - it was rough. 

200 Russian kettlebell swings

100 US kettlebell swings

For time.

10 burpees whenever you break. 

I finished around 14:30, about 8 breaks, and my chest is still jacked up from those swings two days later. 

• Like 7
  • That's Metal 3

1 hour ago, Rurik Harrgath said:

200 Russian kettlebell swings

100 US kettlebell swings

For time.

10 burpees whenever you break. 

I finished around 14:30, about 8 breaks, and my chest is still jacked up from those swings two days later. 

200.gif

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rurik Harrgath said:

We need to find some bread crumbs. 

You seem to be confused. Bread crumbs attract ducks, not the other way around.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
Spezzy, the Arcane Skirmisher
Chaotic Good Quarter Elf Slayer/Magus
STR: 21 / DEX: 17 / CON: 14 / INT: 15 / CHA 15
“There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind.”
3 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

200.gif

I've always been a bit of a masochist when it comes to exercise.  Remember my Liftmas bodyweight squat/DL workout?  🤣

1 hour ago, spezzy said:

You seem to be confused. Bread crumbs attract ducks, not the other way around.

200.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Rurik Harrgath said:

Remember my Liftmas bodyweight squat/DL workout?  🤣

I remember noping the hell out of it about halfway through reading what it entailed.

NOV19-Nope-Times-Four.gif

• Haha 3

c495dee75f232078408583c34d1523b2.png Challenge Journal:

Weight:  216.2lbs .

In my first update I had intended to comment on the inspiration behind finding making time for the forums again.  What had been going through my mind lately was a few quotes I've heard and this idea that who we are a year from now is a result of the actions we take today, and the actions I had been taking daily for quite a while were not in line with the image in my head of Rurik 2021.  But further than that, I'm allowing this clear picture to form in my head of the human I want to be in 5, 10, 15 years coalesce in my head.  It's a question, or an image if you'd prefer, I ask and remind myself of every day now.

What does Rurik 2025 look like? Who is he? What are his values and what does he value?

Obviously I'm leaving for room to grow and my mindset to shift over time or my goals to change, but I think it's important to live in the moment but also keep an eye on the big picture.  So some of these things I associate with Rurik 2025 are freedom and independence and stability.  I embrace chaos, but I also prepare for it, whether than means having "Bugger Off" money to walk away from a toxic workplace like I did this year, or having independence in both my personal and professional lives,  Rurik 2025 is also going to be a healthy old(er) man; some of the activities I want him to enjoy are biking (my spin cycle arrives today!), kettlebells and yoga for joint longevity, rock climbing inspired by Jason Momoa as always, and Muay Thai kickboxing.  While these are my physical pursuits now, I hope he continues to enjoy a lifetime of good health so I need to make daily choices that support that future.

But Rurik 2025 is also kind and loving, while remaining introverted.  He prioritizes those he cares most about, regardless of their geographic pin on the map, and doesn't ask for me than he gives.  He can be a bit of a loner sometimes, but he communicates this in a compassionate way so friends and loved ones aren't left questioning their worth.  One needs not be a curmudgeonly hermit to enjoy independence and occasional solitude.

He isn't trapped by a tough mortgage or vehicle payments, and certainly not debt.  The only debt I carry these days is a vehicle and a house, having used past challenges to eliminate student loans and credit card deby entirely, but even a vehicle loan and mortgage are difficult for someone who craves roots only where he chooses to let them grow.  This aspect of Rurik 2025 focuses on eliminating a vehicle payment and downsizing housing, likely to a very affordable condo that functions as little more than a home base and cat playhouse so I am able to take off on adventures and easily make time for adventure, travel, and friends.

So this is the thought process behind this challenge, which brought me back to the forums, and are driving my "new" goals.  I've always been told to Find My Why for the things I do and to find a purpose behind every effort in life, but as someone who doesn't want children or a 9-5 job, this can be tough.  For now my Purpose and my Why are simply living the life NOW that will make the life I have NEXT YEAR or in 2050 the one I can simply enjoy as a result of past efforts.

Thank you for attenting my NerdxTalk.  :)

AdorableFreeHoverfly-size_restricted.gif

Last week's summary!

• Apothecarium:   ☑☑☑☑☑☑☑
  • Monastery Maintenance: 
  • Artifact Research & Armory:  ☑☑☑☑☑☑.☑.☑
  • Chamber of Reflection:  Please see above.
  • Librarium:  I've been working some insane hours and found a new personal distraction, so I haven't sat down with a good thinker this past week, and I'm not the least bit upset about that.

• Read:  [In Progress]  See Librarium.
  • Minimalism:  Making house sales ready.

• Like 9
  • That's Metal 4