• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Bouncer_the_Lovable

Lvl 7 - Bouncer Writes her Schedule, Reaches Goals

I attempted to make the title uncomfortable as I spent an hour writing a post and lost it.... (my computer wasn't having it).

Also I have a bad liking to the word schedule.

(Also I've been having issues with managing energy aka mana. - hence tile)

Last challenge I only did the last half while starting up NF coaching. 

Coaching has helped by me being able to drop my worries on my fitness and weight loss. Nows to focus more on getting through my daily list.

Between here and coaching I realized that I need more tools with scheduling to keep routines. And to help get mr through the next 14 weeks of school and get a practicum aligned up. 

Challenge made as of Sept. 15, 2020 (Wk 1)

Main goal!

Write down my to do list/scheduled day on a notebook paper. Can be the night before (or 1 am of that day) or at noon during the day. Just get down to pen and paper what I want to get done, and the reality of time. While also am being mindful of what urges I want to do. 

Side Goals

-Study Ojibwe an hour a day. The number 1 class that I will not pass by only studying 1-2 hours a week. I actively need to keep at it. I paid premium for Quizlet (since I suck at pronuncing any new words). Plus I have a recording to listen and respond to that I found makes my less favorite part of my job go by faster. 

-444 words written on homework. Based on 4thewords, but will count a page of mindmapping notes also. I'm curious if this is possible, but also right now.... 

-Make a Weekly Practicum Searching Goal (achieve within 2 weeks). I was advised to look up jobs and cold call emails to any agency in the Twin Cities area to make connections and let them know what I offer. While also given job opportunities through my advisor's email. Bigger goal is to have a few job offers by 2021 and pick which one is the best. Proxy wise I'm looking in my own state Minnesota and hopefully in the metro area. Honestly looking for a place with diversity/outside of my bubble to help me learn a bit, since the Twin Cities are doing pretty cool things in inclusivity in Rec and Park area. 

Look SMART enough? 

Reward time (haven't had this in a while). 

Spoiler

Each thing has a goal for "points". Writing a sheet out, reaching 444 words, or hitting a goal (honestly may throw in completed howework assignment for a point). 

Point equals a $1... Where I can add up to getting the pretty darn holo nailpolish I want. 

I will get what I want as I go, as this is a shop that has high demand/not enough holo at times. 

Main goal as I said previsouly- School color holo nail polish (with 1 color being limited edition) and a nail manicure kit that will help me keep up my constantly breaking nails (I have calluses from my janitor job... so I'm intrigued how fast the polish comes off). 

Current one:

holo-taco-1stanni-gold-flakie-bottle_1024x1024@2x.jpg?v=1594867410

----

(previous challenge made on Week 0)

Spoiler

So this challenge I'm doing 2 parts. 

Its something I've tried and failed. I will lvl 2 lvls if I do both. 

Part 1: Write how long tasks take me (what I think vs reality) for 2 weeks.

Based on: 

I don't have ADHD-. but with my slow processing, slow transitioning and anxiety on top the advice was a nice relisten. 

My goal is to 14 days by week 5. More than enough to try and also figure out a habit to get through this... 

I started today so that helps!

• Like 5

Following :)

12 hours ago, Bouncer_the_Lovable said:

Part 1: Write how long tasks take me (what I think vs reality) for 2 weeks.

Yasss, still have to do this (again) too.

What helped me a lot a whileeee back was i) the timelogger app on Android ( https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.aloggers.atimeloggerapp&hl=en ) 

ii) a stopwatch, that Allie may or may not recommend in that video.

I think her name was Allie?

Good luck!

This is a great challenge!

There's a really good book called "Work Clean" by Dan Charnas. It overlaps a lot of the things you are aiming for. It's about Mise en Place, the way chefs organise their work spaces and the time it takes to do everything.

It really helped me. One of the tasks was making a spreadsheet of all the jobs I did, and worked out the time it took me to do each one. Made my days much more manageable.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, annyshay said:

Sounds like a good actionable step forward. Here for support!

19 hours ago, RES said:

Oh I like this idea! Following

9 hours ago, darkfoxx said:

Great idea and good luck! You’ve got this! 

Thank you! Wil hope to return the favor ❤️

All support is welcome to remind me to stay on track. 

11 hours ago, Aθena said:

Yasss, still have to do this (again) too.

What helped me a lot a whileeee back was i) the timelogger app on Android ( https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.aloggers.atimeloggerapp&hl=en ) 

ii) a stopwatch, that Allie may or may not recommend in that video.

Glad someone else has done this! Gives me hope!

I honestly don't remember her name. But THANK YOU for the APP suggestion. Writing in a journal is hard to keep up since I'm visual, and I lose things easily. My phone I start finding after awhile, especially after I found a new phone game I like a little too much... 

1 hour ago, cd667 said:

This is a great challenge!

There's a really good book called "Work Clean" by Dan Charnas. It overlaps a lot of the things you are aiming for. It's about Mise en Place, the way chefs organise their work spaces and the time it takes to do everything.

It really helped me. One of the tasks was making a spreadsheet of all the jobs I did, and worked out the time it took me to do each one. Made my days much more manageable.

Thank you, and have the book on my audiobooks. The reviews were positive so thought I would give it a listen while I'm doing my janitor job. 

I actually watched a video that a chef reiveiwed "cooking movies" (my personal favorite of "genres") , that they are taught how to be efficent and keep their space clean. 

Will write updates on how to move a next step after this set of challenges (let it brew). 

----

Yesterday I attempted it tracking but after 3 I was just nope on concentration. So let's see if this APP helps!

Today is labor day, which means for students. No classes, and an account I don't like but do nearly daily is closed for cleaning (so I feel like its a holiday despite having to go to work). 

My curse was staying up till 4 am watching "Family Reunion" on Netflix, not a wise choice I hope to get caught up on sleep tonight. Idk probably was needed as I have no day for 2 weeks. Light days, but things are ramping up. 

Scheduled some new things:

Schdeuled times for outdoor studying.

I need to be memorizing plants and making a naturalist portfolio and the weather is changing... So doing 4 days before Janitor job to go to a site and look at plants again or work on portfolio. I need to get my hands on some field guides. I was willing to go to my local bookstore chain, but of course they don't have them. I don't trust myself with library rentals in the elements. So to work on trading cards on my mom's amazon account for buying books. 

And made a scheduled time for Yoga, had a little break from it but body is begging for it. Making it right after my Ojibwe class, which I hopes with the brain Jello I'm feeling after that class (languages are not my strength)

Meal Prep is giong to be fun to figure out... .

Need to wrap my head around cooking and not doing school work at the same time. Though figureing out how to get my Ojibwe listen lessons made to listen while preparing. 

Meals so far that are approved: NF Chicken meal plan (veggies, sweet potatoes, chicken); a Breakfast Casserole Hotdish on NF Prime (just a level up on tater tot hotdish I made growing up); A chili (where I add only beans and meat plus veggies I have around to make up my daily goal, plus spices... I need spices). 

Anyone have a chili recipe they love? I have a tried a couple over the years and nothing is as comforting as stuff I have ordered or from canned. 

• Like 4

18 hours ago, Bouncer_the_Lovable said:

Anyone have a chili recipe they love? I have a tried a couple over the years and nothing is as comforting as stuff I have ordered or from canned. 

What kind of chili? Meat chunks, or ground meat Chicken, pork, or beef? A mix of different kinds of meat What kinds of beans?

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Scaly Freak said:

What kind of chili? Meat chunks, or ground meat Chicken, pork, or beef? A mix of different kinds of meat What kinds of beans?

Ground beef or turkey. 

Black beans, kidney beans.... any beans as I tend to find them to be cheap enough. 

Wondering on any ideas of a good comfort or spice base... Just wondering of a descent chili/easy chili to try out. 

• Like 1

I might have something.... I'll have to get back to you when I have my kitchen back in order and have access to my cook books though. I think there is a turkey chili in there somewhere.

• That's Metal 1

1 hour ago, Scaly Freak said:

I might have something.... I'll have to get back to you when I have my kitchen back in order and have access to my cook books though. I think there is a turkey chili in there somewhere.

Thanks will look forward to it! Of course with everything will be fine on being patient. Going to call up my to be step-dad on a chili recipe he used to cook weekly before nutrisystem. I'll probably throw a jalepeno in there though or something for my need of spice... 

Today I ended up trying out double activity for my zoom class. The idea of sitting and falling asleep over cleaning/cooking seemed a better idea when he said he had no format for the class discussion (unlike is usual well scheduled self). So the fridge has been cleaned and meal prep is getting there!

Otherwords I finally got through 90% of the food I bought to be ready to eat!

---

Class is outside this afternoon, in rain cold weather. I'm for it! Just need coffee... 

Tried the app out see if good for stopwatch, but I like to be a bit more detailed. 

@cd667 LOVED THE BOOK, halfway through and man the book is enjoyable to listen to and start thinking how to approach. And found out that the challenge from the video matches the first exercise in the book (but something more detailed where I was a little stuck). 

---

For challenge setup I think I'm going to use Evernote and alarms on my phone to remind me to write notes. Idk how to alert myself more. That's the side I'm lost at for all my tasks. 

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Bouncer_the_Lovable said:

For challenge setup I think I'm going to use Evernote and alarms on my phone to remind me to write notes. Idk how to alert myself more. That's the side I'm lost at for all my tasks.

The trick is to alert yourself rather than relying on your phone.

Spend a few minutes working out what you need to do the next day when you go to bed. Write it down.

When you wake up, look at your list.

Once that's habit, you don't need reminders.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Bouncer_the_Lovable said:

What kinds of notes are these? My inner smartass wants to ask whether notes you don't remember to take, really are necessary...? 😊

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 9/9/2020 at 2:48 AM, cd667 said:

The trick is to alert yourself rather than relying on your phone.

Spend a few minutes working out what you need to do the next day when you go to bed. Write it down.

When you wake up, look at your list.

Once that's habit, you don't need reminders.

Thanks for this, yesterday I may have grumbled but after relistening to the planning section. Than writing a post-it note to do list, since I told myself to write only 3 topics... ended up expanding to have to rewrite the list of other things. I did a few more things today and realized I didn't have time for the others....

Was wondering if you have freedom of brainstorming better on making this a better goal (or anyone?) Will be thinking of it.

On 9/9/2020 at 8:41 AM, Scaly Freak said:

What kinds of notes are these? My inner smartass wants to ask whether notes you don't remember to take, really are necessary...? 😊

The notes/actaul goal above. Need to write out how much I think a thing will take. Realizing I have to remind myself while usually 90% of the time having to force more energy to get started. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Bouncer_the_Lovable said:

The notes/actual goal above. Need to write out how much I think a thing will take. Realizing I have to remind myself while usually 90% of the time having to force more energy to get started. 

Oh, duh. Of course. I totally misunderstood what you were talking about. That's is entirely my bad. Ooops.

Do you mind if I ask some questions about this goal? If you do, just say so and don't answer them, and no harm done. :)

Why do you need to know how much time you think a task will take? What does that provide, that is not provided by looking at how much time it actually takes? What is the reason you decided to collect this data in the first place? How do you plan to use it to move close to that goal?

Helping someone figure out what they needed to change to become more efficient in their time management and tasks used to be a part of my job, and after I got moved to another role I don't get to do that anymore, and I miss it. This does not in any way mean that you have to go along with my questions, obviously but if you are looking for a sounding board to help you figure out ways to make this goal easier I am all ears and would actually enjoy it. Entirely your decision, obviously.

• Like 2

When NF decides to make this 2 posts, okay as I commented on you lovely people. 

I had more out of writing my stuff on a post-it looked at a few times and did the goals. First time and more beneficial over thinking. The next step after this habit would be to time out how long things take probably. I noticed focus was a harder deal to reach goals... But if I get to a point with the "planning/processing what needs to be done and be realistic" I will be closer to actually do my goals. 

So... I'm thinking for a goal is to write a post-it a day and see what I get done. I'm counting all my clases, work and appointments with my to-do list. Making a to-do list. With somethings having a note when it needs to get done... 

Maybe this challenge is trying out the post-it note system a week or two and see what happens?

While also I would like a reward... 

https://www.holotaco.com/ (spoilered for size)

Spoiler

holo-taco-rainbow-purple-slushie-bottle_1024x1024@2x.jpg?v=1591989519

holo-taco-1stanni-gold-flakie-bottle_1024x1024@2x.jpg?v=1594867410

(this one is a limited edition)

I realized I want... And are a bit reasonable. These two would be great to honor my school colors. Something fun!

How about goal:

1 week of writing out a to-do list with notes on when to do certain things the next day. 7 pieces of paper unlock me being able to get this gold one, since its limited... 

I haven't owned nail polish in years and realized these would be super fun, and honestly I'm curious how long they will last with my work... Plus I watched too much of this youtuber... I still want them after a year, especially when I found out I could get my school colors in holo. 

-----

Other stuff. I came up wtih plans to get my family together for my brother's b-day.  He turns 25 this year (golden b-day), and realized we haven't gone out to eat with him for a few years (realized we did it 5 years ago but late) .He requested Olive Garden...

Also forgot to write last challenge for all that are continuing... My brother lives in the same building as my mom and I. Just 2 floors up in a medium sized apartment building (we park our cars next to each other in an open parking lot). We still only see each other maybe once a month passing by. So me bringing up messaging him when lives literarly meters away was a rare thing. 

Downside had an argment with my boyfriend.

Spoiler

That brought up what I wanted from the relationship (him spending time with my family the 3rd time in a year). And he wanted to earn extra money on a long work day. I said that the same day would  be the only day I could come up this month, he said he would be hanging out while working. I just went no... You could work but please let's take a break until October. He  didn't see how I was fare and tole me "I won" with the arguement... 

To me he told me I coouldn't trust him to show up to something that I was emotionally needing, and told him it was specail/rare. He was trying to sell me that this money was special and rare (he makes more money than any of my parents did and after immigranting to the US. I personally think he could take a day off). 

Yes he is trying to earn a house but I'm asking for 1 day a month and a few times a year for him to see my family (I actually want more of all). He sees this as good enough. 

I had to explain to him that it was rude to me to sideline my time. He says it wasn't because he asked first... Blah. 

I wrote this 5 times and still can't shake it off. Just realizing the lack of friends to chat with my petty relationship issues, that some of my friends would say "break it off". 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Scaly Freak said:

Do you mind if I ask some questions about this goal? If you do, just say so and don't answer them, and no harm done. :)

Okay I'm running late to work, just wanted to say. Um yeah. Also I just wrote a post when you replied. Will give you a better reply later. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bouncer_the_Lovable said:

While also I would like a reward... 

https://www.holotaco.com/ (spoilered for size)

That loud screeching noise you just heard was me squealing like an over-excited fan girl hyped up on sugar.

I need Red Licorice and Purple Slushie. Now. 

• Like 2
  • That's Metal 1

4 minutes ago, Bouncer_the_Lovable said:

Okay I'm running late to work, just wanted to say. Um yeah. Also I just wrote a post when you replied. Will give you a better reply later. 

Absolutely no rush! Get to work! :)

Also, sorry to hear about the boyfriend argument. It's really tricky and difficult to find a healthy balance of keeping good self-care and standing up for ourselves in a relationship, while also actively finding ways to support our partner when they need it in the way they need us to do it. If it was easy, there would be no divorces.

And, if I may,  if an issue makes you feel uncomfortable about your relationship with your boyfriend, it is not "petty". It is real and valid and serious, and you need to treat it accordingly, just like you are doing. The trick to dealing with this issue is one you've already figured out - to talk to your boyfriend. And you are doing that. All relationships have issues and struggles. As long as you both value the relationship more than you value winning the argument, you are going to be fine. :) 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Oh, duh. Of course. I totally misunderstood what you were talking about. That's is entirely my bad. Ooops.

100% glad you asked though if I can figure out a way to clarify later! (Honestly I need help on this).

Why do you need to know how much time you think a task will take? What does that provide, that is not provided by looking at how much time it actually takes? What is the reason you decided to collect this data in the first place? How do you plan to use it to move close to that 

I think it's more to learn how one can know where and when to put activities. But I find that also completing something depends on my energy, emotions and desire to do to list. Along with asking/knowing to ask help for what could be a small thing I get stuck on. Or have the ability to think through. 

Basically to help schedule in total but not sure how to work with me. Especially since I usually round Robin what I'm doing without realizing at times (really concentrating on one thing).

2 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

Helping someone figure out what they needed to change to become more efficient in their time management and tasks used to be a part of my job, and after I got moved to another role I don't get to do that anymore, and I miss it. This does not in any way mean that you have to go along with my questions, obviously but if you are looking for a sounding board to help you figure out ways to make this goal easier I am all ears and would actually enjoy it. Entirely your decision, obviously.

Ummmmm..... I was praying/wishing yesterday I had someone who could brainstorm away to work through it. 

Sound any ideas to the above or needed clarification?

That loud screeching noise you just heard was me squealing like an over-excited fan girl hyped up on sugar.

I need Red Licorice and Purple Slushie. Now. 

The color choices work perfectly! Hehe, glad to have someone fangirl with. 

Brought up to my mom, she said she won't mind the smell. I personally am wondering how not to stain anything... 

She brought up acetone free nail polish remover, while google says to use the heavy stuff... 

Other words this is my when mom is not around reward. 

• Like 2

Absolutely no rush! Get to work! :)

Also, sorry to hear about the boyfriend argument. It's really tricky and difficult to find a healthy balance of keeping good self-care and standing up for ourselves in a relationship, while also actively finding ways to support our partner when they need it in the way they need us to do it. If it was easy, there would be no divorces.

And, if I may,  if an issue makes you feel uncomfortable about your relationship with your boyfriend, it is not "petty". It is real and valid and serious, and you need to treat it accordingly, just like you are doing. The trick to dealing with this issue is one you've already figured out - to talk to your boyfriend. And you are doing that. All relationships have issues and struggles. As long as you both value the relationship more than you value winning the argument, you are going to be fine. :) 

And thank you! Needed a reminder and a little validation outside my bubble. 

Just need to shake it off a bit more so I can move through my day while dealing with it.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Bouncer_the_Lovable said:

Was wondering if you have freedom of brainstorming better on making this a better goal (or anyone?) Will be thinking of it.

Of course I can. Fill your boots. :D

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Bouncer_the_Lovable said:

I think it's more to learn how one can know where and when to put activities. But I find that also completing something depends on my energy, emotions and desire to do to list. Along with asking/knowing to ask help for what could be a small thing I get stuck on. Or have the ability to think through. 

Basically to help schedule in total but not sure how to work with me. Especially since I usually round Robin what I'm doing without realizing at times (really concentrating on one thing).

So my perspective on this is a little bit different, because I've learned how to do this in a corporate work environment, where my energy levels, my feelings and my emotions, are irrelevant. Because I'm getting paid to work when I am at work, whether I want to do something or not, doesn't matter. I still need to do it, and do it well too boot. That said, I have learned that it can be good to apply that perspective to some tasks outside work. For example, cleaning a toilet is one of my least favorite things to do in the entire world, but never cleaning one's toilet is generally a very bad idea in the long term.

Let me ask a question though, and I will elaborate a little bit so the question makes sense. What is the final end goal you are trying to achieve by meeting this partial goal?

If I understand correctly, you want to figure out how to become better at planning and scheduling the various tasks in your day, right? When you have figured that out, what will that do for your daily life that is missing right now? What is your Big Why for improving your scheduling-fu?

And I'm talking about my job everywhere on NF today! It's a curse!! :D 

Now back to actual work. :) 

• Like 3

On 9/11/2020 at 3:05 PM, Scaly Freak said:

So my perspective on this is a little bit different, because I've learned how to do this in a corporate work environment, where my energy levels, my feelings and my emotions, are irrelevant. Because I'm getting paid to work when I am at work, whether I want to do something or not, doesn't matter. I still need to do it, and do it well too boot. That said, I have learned that it can be good to apply that perspective to some tasks outside work. For example, cleaning a toilet is one of my least favorite things to do in the entire world, but never cleaning one's toilet is generally a very bad idea in the long term.

Let me ask a question though, and I will elaborate a little bit so the question makes sense. What is the final end goal you are trying to achieve by meeting this partial goal?

If I understand correctly, you want to figure out how to become better at planning and scheduling the various tasks in your day, right? When you have figured that out, what will that do for your daily life that is missing right now? What is your Big Why for improving your scheduling-fu?

For me its bascially right now all my work takes up 90% of my energy. At work I know I have to get over it, and at work I have flexibility of making it work (such as if I need more breaks or change up how I do things). All my managers care for me and see mee as someone with a good work ethic, even though I see all my weaknesses also. 

At home, working around someone with different levels of energy also. While also I can't be just crabby at home (problem of a home of empaths) keeping up with school work and taking care of myself is a bit difficult. 

For me my big why, is I noticed scheduling routines end better. However, I am someone that has a hard time do to having to also plan out what I also need around. Such as caffiene, nap time or food. Work I have the routines down. Me taking care of myself, school work and reseraching practicums... Idk how. So my hope is to look for a tool and this "seeing how long things take" is the first step everything I looked up. However, my life I feel like is changing weekly. And in 14 weeks is going to be VERY different. So my hope is to change stuff up. 

How is it already Monday?? Seriously, I slept all Friday (was just dead). Knew I had to sleep to get to work. 

Saturday I had to go to a State Park for class. 6 hour day between the commute and 3 hour hike/discussion. I'm the leader of the group and am already falling behind my goals because I was dead after I got home. 

Sunday had to do museum job, ended up working longer due to needing more breaks... 

So Monday cranky, had to apologize to my mom more than once and try to get stuff done. 

Top it off last week my secondary laptop decided to give out on browsers connecting to internet. Even though the laptop says its connected. The computer was my main zoom computer and I have don't really know what happened... .Plus cuts me on my availabilty a bit to figure out how to work in my room when I'm cranky... Boyfriend is looking for new cheap laptop or tablet to help me out. 

Boyfriend and I are good after a few discussions. I'm having a hard time keeping my feelings to myself around my mother (am forseeing myself to bring my main laptop into my room again...) Just because of me not her. 

----

Going to change the main goal to help with school work... 

Everyday I write 444 words for school work and 1 hour of ojibwe (flash cards & listening exercises). I can put a point toward getting nail polish/nail accessory. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bouncer_the_Lovable said:

At home, working around someone with different levels of energy also. While also I can't be just crabby at home (problem of a home of empaths) keeping up with school work and taking care of myself is a bit difficult. 

For me my big why, is I noticed scheduling routines end better. However, I am someone that has a hard time do to having to also plan out what I also need around. Such as caffiene, nap time or food. Work I have the routines down. Me taking care of myself, school work and reseraching practicums... Idk how. So my hope is to look for a tool and this "seeing how long things take" is the first step everything I looked up. However, my life I feel like is changing weekly. And in 14 weeks is going to be VERY different. So my hope is to change stuff up. 

Humor me... and assume I am slow to understand. ;)

You want to become better at scheduling your life outside work because... scheduled tasks end better? Or because you want to take better care of yourself? Or because you want to build better routines? All of these overlap to some extent, but the big why is behind all of them. I'm going to take a wild guess and speculate that what lies behind each of these motivations is a desire to feel a bit less overwhelmed. Or a bit more as if you are in charge of how you spend your time, if you prefer to phrase it that way. And making that happen would lower your overall stress levels.

If that was completely off tell me, but that's usually what lies behind a person's desire to figure out a good way to schedule tasks and chores and other things.

So... why does it matter how much time a task takes? (Unless you're baking something, then it matters quite a bit.) But house hold chores, studying, research... how will the knowledge of the specific number of minutes it takes to do the dishes, make it easier to schedule that task? More importantly, how does it help you get closer to answering the Big Why?

• Like 1