• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Bouncer_the_Lovable

Lvl 7 - Bouncer Writes her Schedule, Reaches Goals

Ok slowing down. 

You are mainly correct. 

I basically am hoping a schedule can help me be productive on my to do list. While knowing that things will get done without overwhelming myself and going with the flow. I see this tieing in with personal care as it's usually on my list.

For if timing my tasks will help, I realized after finally watching the whole series I have been doing it on and off for the last 5 years. Either through work clock or being in a crunch time with life. Where I 'm aware things take longer for me do to slower transition and I take longer to learn/think through things. 

I had quit my job last June because they were asking tasks completion at a faster rate than I could do. I knew my brain and body couldn't keep up. I work where I work because they know I can complete it with a compromised time table. 

Idk if that narrows down my big why. 

A narrower scope would be "I want to finish what I say I will do, while taking care of my self in the process." I have big dreams that take days not hours to complete.

I know doing my challenge will be an unneeded stressor, so any idea on what?

• Like 3

That makes perfect sense. Thank you for humoring me. :)

If the amount of time allotted to a task causes stress for you, and makes it more difficult to focus on the task, maybe it's not the best place to start? Habits are easier to form when the focus is on something positive. Could it be easier to build a habit if you focus on one thing that makes the scheduling easier for you, and make sure to do that every day. And then when you have a framework for a routine in place, you can worry about how much time each thing takes.

Something to think about, at least. :) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Soo... Otherwords Week 0 Helped me relook at my Big Why. 

So new goals! Bascially what I have been saying as goals, just finally drawn up together and to be put on main page. 

Main goal!

Write down my to do list/scheduled day on a notebook paper. Can be the night before (or 1 am of that day) or at noon during the day. Just get down to pen and paper what I want to get done, and the reality of time. While also am being mindful of what urges I want to do. 

Side Goals

-Study Ojibwe an hour a day. The number 1 class that I will not pass by only studying 1-2 hours a week. I actively need to keep at it. I paid premium for Quizlet (since I suck at pronuncing any new words). Plus I have a recording to listen and respond to that I found makes my less favorite part of my job go by faster. 

-444 words written on homework. Based on 4thewords, but will count a page of mindmapping notes also. I'm curious if this is possible, but also right now.... 

-Make a Weekly Practicum Searching Goal (achieve within 2 weeks). I was advised to look up jobs and cold call emails to any agency in the Twin Cities area to make connections and let them know what I offer. While also given job opportunities through my advisor's email. Bigger goal is to have a few job offers by 2021 and pick which one is the best. Proxy wise I'm looking in my own state Minnesota and hopefully in the metro area. Honestly looking for a place with diversity/outside of my bubble to help me learn a bit, since the Twin Cities are doing pretty cool things in inclusivity in Rec and Park area. 

Look SMART enough? 

Reward time (haven't had this in a while). 

Each thing has a goal for "points". Writing a sheet out, reaching 444 words, or hitting a goal (honestly may throw in completed howework assignment for a point). 

Point equals a $1... Where I can add up to getting the pretty darn holo nailpolish I want. 

I will get what I want as I go, as this is a shop that has high demand/not enough holo at times. 

Main goal as I said previsouly- School color holo nail polish (with 1 color being limited edition) and a nail manicure kit that will help me keep up my constantly breaking nails (I have calluses from my janitor job... so I'm intrigued how fast the polish comes off). 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Bouncer_the_Lovable said:

Write down my to do list/scheduled day on a notebook paper. Can be the night before (or 1 am of that day) or at noon during the day. Just get down to pen and paper what I want to get done, and the reality of time. While also am being mindful of what urges I want to do. 

This is almost exactly what I do to stay organized outside of work. I keep my daily to-do list in a dedicated notebook and I've made it a part of my evening routine to go through the list and create the next one. I've personally found that when I sit down at the end of the day to do the list for tomorrow, it's helpful for me to look at the items I wasn't able to get done, and make a note about why. That makes it easier for me to prioritize for the following day.

If the list making works for you, great! If not, we'll figure out why, and keep going. :) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

This is almost exactly what I do to stay organized outside of work. I keep my daily to-do list in a dedicated notebook and I've made it a part of my evening routine to go through the list and create the next one. I've personally found that when I sit down at the end of the day to do the list for tomorrow, it's helpful for me to look at the items I wasn't able to get done, and make a note about why. That makes it easier for me to prioritize for the following day.

If the list making works for you, great! If not, we'll figure out why, and keep going. :) 

And with this talk I realized my scheduled time to write the list when I get home at 1 am... 

So far for update:

+1 Wrote out my day at Noon on Tuesday... Found out the little time I had and how big my list is (and how tired I was). Deep breaths. 

+2 for Ojibwe - hit it Monday and Tuesday... I need to add more on Quizlet. The hope is get 40% right on the quiz (baby steps)

+ 0 for Classes... Made it 236 words for group communication...  Next two days I will need to put in more homework time

Goal for for Practicum: Email a professional that I kind of think is awesome with all the action she has done in St. Paul. (Never met her, so this is new to me). 

Had a meeting with my energy worker aka "gray haired hippie". I was burnt out when I came to see him, but he left me with a advice that "yup adulting is supposed to be painful, but you are doing better than ever." Had me realize any other time of my life, my depression and anxiety would be sweeping in. Instead I'm trying to still work on goals! Whoot! 

He also showed me some music that will help me get to sleep sooner (sleep frequencies on youtube). Ended up feeling I had a restful nap after the appointment and be productive this afternoon (as I was drinking my half coffee and half cappociono potion).

Now excuse me as I buy another 24 oz to get through the next 7 hours of my day. 

• Like 3
  • That's Metal 1

Whew, Bounder, Scaley, these are the exact questions I am examining these days as well. 

For me, I tend to be impatient with myself WHILE AT THE SAME TIME getting lost in thought a lot.  And knowing the amount a task realistically "should" take me, allows me to tell myself: alright, Athena, be patient, it's normal that these things take 1 hour. Or: Come on, don't get side-tracked, you only have X minutes to go and you get to take a breather! Or something like that.

Also, I am reading a book (yes, STILL) by this guy Stephen Covey that tells his readers that sheer will/discipline MIGHT make you "efficient" but its principles that get you through tough times. (Paraphrasing.)

So when "urgent" non-important stuff shows up, that a lot of people tend to spend time on (me included), or non-urgent, non-important stuff (that you also do not need for your mental health because that would make it important and maybe even urgent)

you have to have your "BIGGER WHY" clear in your mind, so you can spend time on your (maybe not-so-urgent) but very important goals, that are in line with your personal mission, purpose, values et cetera.

And he writes, that's the problem with most time management systems. (First, second, third generation.) They are very schedule-centered. And a lot of people get frustrated with those systems, because you cannot apply schedules or efficiency principles to people. Like, you get an argument with your partner. He explains how his son decided one day he would break up with his long-time girlfriend and scheduled a 15 minute phone call to do that. Of course, that took a lot longer and spanned over several days of off-and-on talks and visits to discuss things over :D Poor dude.  Anyway. His "fourth generation" time management system does not get knocked over by that.

Because it is principle-centered (which your principles probably involve having good relationships and mental health), flexible, and a few other words he used. (still paraphrasing :D )

Anyway. Tough stuff. Good luck!! Rooting for you, Bouncer!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Aθena said:

And he writes, that's the problem with most time management systems. (First, second, third generation.) They are very schedule-centered. And a lot of people get frustrated with those systems, because you cannot apply schedules or efficiency principles to people.

I actively loathe the term "time management" when applied to the principles of organizing projects and the tasks related to them, because time is one of the few variables that is a constant and never changes. Unless I move to another planet, every day has the exact same number of hours now as it did during the last project we worked on. What we need to organize and make plans for is how to get a long series of tasks completed, in the right order, during the number of hours we have to work with.

That's why the Big Why matters so much - without it, how would I even begin to know which task I should work on first?

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

I actively loathe the term "time management"

After I wrote this comment, I forgot to correct myself: he also dislikes using the term time management, because it's not time you have to manage. Is things, tasks and people, yes. And the first person you have to manage is yourself: your energy, keeping a clear vision of what you want to achieve in life, in a project etc.  So you know WHY you are saying no to other more seemingly urgent or more "fun" things. (Again, paraphrasing.)

14 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

That's why the Big Why matters so much - without it, how would I even begin to know which task I should work on first?

🤘 True, true.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Aθena said:

And the first person you have to manage is yourself: your energy, keeping a clear vision of what you want to achieve in life, in a project etc.  So you know WHY you are saying no to other more seemingly urgent or more "fun" things. (Again, paraphrasing.)

One of my favorite phrases to use when co-workers send me urgent requests is, "I can do that right now, but only if I stop working on <insert actually urgent task here>" 😉

Yes, it totally works.

• Like 2

On 9/21/2020 at 12:27 PM, Scaly Freak said:

Still have no idea what I'm doing, but seeing how writing my day has me mindful. 

I've been reading, just lurking more than posting (if I'm posting on anyone else, that planets aligned just right).

All I've been thinking is this quote my mentor had shard in our group meets:

image.jpeg.9369b5bb4daa1c8f6557fd33cb8d1486.jpeg

It had taken me 3 days to find it, I thought it was Rumi... Not Buddha. 

Idk, writing out my schedule makes me realize how much little time I have. That after the weekend of sleep (with work and cooking in between). I decided to take my musuem job for the weekend. 

Main Goal: Adding 3 more points --- I can't tell you wich days but days were written. Than I continue to do one of these: freak out, avoid, attempt to work on or go back to laying in bed. It is teaching mindfulness. 

After week 1 - It's a work in progress.  

Side goals: 

Ojibwe: 3 points, 2 from study days. 1 from getting a better score than my last quize. Still failing but now 11/20. I have fallen off the wagon and trying to get back on.  We have a WS due this week (which I'm thankful for points) and going to listen into a zoom experience tomorrow night on making medicine bags (aka extra credit opportunity).

Writing Assignments: +0 points I'm changing this to "pomodoros toward school". Making 2 pomodoros = 1 point because that would match Ojibwe. Effort can be put in form of time. 

Practicum Search: I finally emailed the professional yesterday! Even if I hear nothing or am dismissed, it was a learnine experience.  I had signed up for the viritual conference. But meh, showing up to a zoom class and keep listening to it has been a struggle (I knew I would have been late/missed class if I had to go in person this week). So may look up an agency to email in the city of Oakdale. 

---

Spiritual Mentor Meets Golf

Spoiler

When my mentor (old grey hippie) this week pointed out I need to be basically reminding myself to turn into my "higher self". He ends up going into golf metaphors. 

Ended up being on the US opener, Bryson DeChambeau, on how basically a "physics nerd" won the game by training for the crazy course. He gained many pounds of muscle and tweaked his diet to be able to kick out a golf ball from the thick grass... 

Basically a guy that figured out how to make "golf" work for him, and everyone else goes "wait for what?". He applies math on the course and works on it for hours and then trains his body when golfers went on vacay.

The metaphor of hoping to find tools and help myself out. As I learn to not "figure things out" but be in the moment. Along wtih finding my strengths in the moment.  I've been finding it damn difficult. 

---

Sunday I MEAL PREPPED!

Spoiler

I did it late, but have no regrets. I'm deciding Saturday mornings are meal prep time. Thursday I need to reserve my groceries time but found I might be able to correct it within 12 hours if need be changes. 

I found I love chili more for the cornbread (put all the veggies in there). As I made a pot from my stepfather's "basic recipe". Where I added a jalapeno and more spices (turmeric, cumin, smoked paprika), and an extra can of beans. Ground beef, kidney beans, black beans, shredded onion, diced canned tomatoes, and plain tomato sauce. Let it stew and added more spices when I found it bland (my boyfriend taught me how to get a feel).

And I made Steve's/Stacy's chicken meals that are on the NF blog. I invest in organic chicken and a YouTuber's hot sauce to try out (I bought kimchi and siracha). Also for a changeup. I tried frozen okra (roasted with onion and some turmeric and cumin). And some collard greens and turnip greens (with coconut milk I had around). Those 3 aren't my fave but found they can get eaten up. 

On top of it decided to try to eat from home all week. My brother's dinner is on Sunday and I asked my boyfriend to drive so I can drink (I drink twice a year... I want to drink my wine). I know not at all COVID friendly in the end... But a time for everyone to meet before June (as that's when everyone will be family). Because who knows what is going to happen in the next 7 months. Plus for the first time a birthday celebration with the whole family together (me to be step-brother and his family with be joining which made it more interesting). Anyway, I want to be able to eat and figured if I save money/eat more veggies all week. I will most likely like the food more and not gain any extra weight I could be tipping over into. 

---

2 years of a relationship (my only romantic relationship)

Spoiler

On the 16th was my boyfriend's and I 2-year anniversary of me asking him if we were in a relationship. No clue then that we would want to stick around each other and keep up a 90-mile distant relationship (I had put 100 miles distant in the dating app just looking to date around). 

I ended up finding a diamond key necklace at my friend's shop, that I realized after buying matched a necklace design I had wanted for my birthday last February (but was for a Valentine deal and sold out). 

When I showed my boyfriend on camera during a discussion, he had remembered that necklace I wanted. So in a conversation, I bought myself a 2-year anniversary gift (I put myself in this by accident). In return, I plan to go through his kitchen (pack up things he knows he wants to keep but has no room in his tiny kitchen). While some cleaning in places that I know could be useable otherwise... 

---

Also did I share I fought myself to be a leader of a group project. I have all my regrets as no one else is as excited, I get it but come on... Parks are awesome (except one guy I understand since he is doing this class by an accident elective not for his actual emphasis). 

So learning exeperience. 11.5 more weeks... .

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Bouncer_the_Lovable said:

Still have no idea what I'm doing, but seeing how writing my day has me mindful. 

Mindful is one of the greatest things ever.

I wouldn't worry about not knowing what you're doing. Perhaps the purpose of the writing is to figure that out?

And congratulations on your 2-year anniversary. :) 

• Like 1

How are things going meh...

Energy wise I had to take two days off after a lack of sleep.

I feel stupid for signing up as a leader in a group but need to try to look forward. 

I may need to figure out questions for organization.

Coaching we are looking at reframing after idk how many days I've missed stuff. 

But I'm cutting down work hours... because I can't find a balance. And personally I may work better at night.

I'm annoyed with even my lack of walks in the morning as beautiful fall is passing by.  

School stuff trying to move through while not trying to feel stuck all the time.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Bouncer_the_Lovable said:

Things are going to better when I reminded myself how to take care of myself.... I think 4 points are now officially added!

Sometimes when I've been neglecting self-case, I deliberately add it to my ToDo list. It helps. :) 

• Like 2

On 10/3/2020 at 11:22 AM, Scaly Freak said:

Sometimes when I've been neglecting self-case, I deliberately add it to my ToDo list. It helps. :) 

Yeah was finding it difficult to do.

Soon as I cut down my hours and caught up on sleep. A cold has struck me. 

My throat and ears... while in the back of my nose. No fever...

I'm craving salt and slushies like a girl who didn't get enough summer. While my professor commented on me sounding like I smoked a pack a day.

Goals could better but let me get at it. While I ordered in slushies due to my mother not willing to help out.... 

• Like 2

How are things going? 

Soon as I felt good from my nasty cold, even planned to start walking a 5k challenge on prime (my feet don't hurt from less hours, and my muscles want more). 

I strained my neck on Saturday morning by getting up the wrong way.... Left side, where it hurts like hell if I make sudden movments. I'm 26... too young for this. But now understand how my brother heavily strained his thumb last winter by trying to get off the floor. 

I have had issues with chronic tension/pain in my upper back. So this is another sign I need to take care of myself... Blah. All on the week of midterms. 

My body literally yelling at me as I sit like igor.. (head slumping to the right). 

I ended up buying a few healing remedies from a local lakota woman's shop, I've been meaning to buy from for years now. I feel like I just need probably something to help with my mindfulness... 

----

Goals, I'm just trying to get through daily and trying not to avoid. That has been the main struggle. I guess this will be my main goal!

• Like 1

Forgot to say I did start walking the 5k challenge on Prime and have found it helping to open up the tension/ enjoy the Fall weather. I did a after dark and an afternoon walk. Walked the longest distance I have done since I did my walking challenge in June. 

I'm fitter from my job, and my body is probably craving the movement after cutting down hours and staying bed (I don't even walk around the stores as much). 

There is a mobility community challenge also coming up, and hoping both of these challenges have me maybe not as scared of working out after school is done (or maybe starting earlier...)

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Bouncer_the_Lovable said:

Goals, I'm just trying to get through daily and trying not to avoid. That has been the main struggle. I guess this will be my main goal!

"Goal", not "struggle". I like it. 😊

On 10/12/2020 at 9:38 AM, Scaly Freak said:

"Goal", not "struggle". I like it. 😊

And will try to keep this up... 

How this challenge go? I bascially quit at one point and still bought my reward.... 

So... as the semester is going to take the challenge to bring out my druid self. 

11 hours ago, Bouncer_the_Lovable said:

Not well gave up rather quickly.

Are you still interested in figuring out ways to organize your tasks in ways that makes them less overwhelming? If you are, we have now learned what doesn't work well for you. :) 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

Are you still interested in figuring out ways to organize your tasks in ways that makes them less overwhelming? If you are, we have now learned what doesn't work well for you. :) 

As I bought a note bad that says "you got this" in to do list format. And a giant post it notes to mind map my assignments.... I guess I haven't given up

• Like 1

On 10/22/2020 at 5:49 AM, Bouncer_the_Lovable said:

I'm rather frustrated with myself on showing up what I need to do...

Rather feel with my classes, if this was a job I would be not doing well.

I am reading thoughts I have thought myself here.

Recently I discovered that actually reading about the Eisenhower matrix (and not just the articles flashy time mgt website show), after defining what my values are and what I want to be remembered by At The End of My Time (heavy stuff I know),

and then sketching and using the eisenhower matrix for every single thing I wrote on my todo list (and actually being honest with myself what goes in what quadrant)

that kind of helped. 

The trick is to learn how to tap into your energy that most people tap into only before deadlines... Before we actually are in crisis mode... Much more than time management, I found I need to manage my energy & people (incl myself: holding myself to my promises as if I was going to break a promise to someone else,

but also showing understanding for myself when I struggle/fail aka learn what not to do, as if I was my friend.)

Dunno if my rambles helped but eitherway, enjoy your new stationary, take care & good luck 🤩

• Like 1