Caius' First Challenge

Well, the time has come to jump out of the pan and embark on an epic adventure ... quest ... challenge ... thing. Here's hoping I don't do a face plant or lawn dart into the fire. 🤞

We're choosing to get back into school and start with some of the basics and see how it goes.

LEVEL 1 REBEL CHALLENGE:

Nutrition:

• Introduce new meal options for greater variety of food
    • Learn to make a new breakfast option and make it at least twice a week for the duration
    • Learn to make a new lunch option and make it at least twice a week for the duration
    • Learn to make a new dinner option and make it at least twice a week for the duration
  • Photograph non-planned nourishment
    • If it wasn't part of a planned meal or snack snap a picture before enjoying it
    • Annotate why you wanted it and keep the log

Training

• Complete the planned ABA-BAB workout 3x a week for the duration
    • Extra credit for the cardio, core, corrective workout

Level Up Your Life 

• Reflect upon the day and write down at least one thing you are grateful for
    • Extra credit for 5

And with that, I believe my trial is set for the 13th (feel free to correct any misunderstandings I have of the challenge or offer suggestions to improve) and am ready to begin school once more ...

• Like 3

Salus populi suprema lex esto

Follow my Battle LogCharacter, and Challenge

14 hours ago, Chesire said:

And that the foods aren't vilified is great.

Thanks for the support! I want to have a healthy relationship with all food and not label them as good or bad, but rather find those that I might devour and will lead me further from my goals. These foods I should probably not buy and force myself a trip to the store if the craving is strong enough. At least the barrier is there to help reduce the intake. And since I walk nearly everywhere, at least I'll get some exercise while getting some. 😂 It's an experiment that may end up in an update below. 😬

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Xena said:

Are you going to cut yourself some slack

Great question! I guess my simple answer is ... yes. I suppose the general idea here is to find something that I can both enjoy and can make, as well as to plug some nutritional holes I may have.

I can't really cook very well, but baking on the other hand is a ... piece of ... well ... cake. 🤣 So, if the "learned" meal changes weekly that would be fine with me. As long as something new was at least attempted and had the potential to be included in my nutrition plan. Oddly enough, I actually don't require a great deal of variety for my meals, so boredom isn't too much of a factor for me. I can have the same 2 or 3 meals for months on end and not complain. 😂 Perhaps my meal experimentation may may end up in an update below. 😬

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Caius said:

and this challenge thread may turn into a foodie blog.

And the problem with that is?  We all have to eat, might as well share the awesome and not so awesome.  My last challenge was filled up with recipes for beans and lentils!

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

Good luck Caius. I like how you've listed nutrition first in your challenges, it really does filter down into everything else. I'm also struggling for meal ideas and adding variety to my diet so I'll be looking forward to what you eat/ post. Even more so now with the whole back to school/ work and the problems a packed lunch on the go can bring...

• Like 1
21 hours ago, Caius said:

Oh no! My lack of culinary expertise is about to be unveiled to the shock and horror of the world

NF tends to be a pretty non-judgemental group...well, I guess people have strong opinions about pumpkin spice...and about pancakes vs. waffles, but yeah, otherwise pretty non-judgemental 🙂

• Like 3

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

Getting a head start on the recipes for the Sunday. Here's what I've settled on:

• Breakfast: Egg, Tomato, and Cheese Sandwich
  • Lunch: Mexi-Cali Tuna Salad 
  • Dinner: Garlic Shrimp with White Beans and Tomatoes

So breakfast is not an exciting choice, but it does offer a change from my South Western Breakfast Wrap and Craisin Nut Proatmeal. Lunch is quite simple too, and ironically not a salad ... unless you're supposed to put it on some veggies that aren't in the recipe? Dinner is going to be the challenge as it actually involves fire ... and cooking skills. 😟 Lunch and dinner both contain sea food because I mostly have chicken for both meals and this would be a nice change/rotation to throw in the mix. Time to hit the store.

8 hours ago, Caius said:

Getting a head start on the recipes for the Sunday. Here's what I've settled on:

• Breakfast: Egg, Tomato, and Cheese Sandwich
  • Lunch: Mexi-Cali Tuna Salad 
  • Dinner: Garlic Shrimp with White Beans and Tomatoes

So breakfast is not an exciting choice, but it does offer a change from my South Western Breakfast Wrap and Craisin Nut Proatmeal. Lunch is quite simple too, and ironically not a salad ... unless you're supposed to put it on some veggies that aren't in the recipe? Dinner is going to be the challenge as it actually involves fire ... and cooking skills. 😟 Lunch and dinner both contain sea food because I mostly have chicken for both meals and this would be a nice change/rotation to throw in the mix. Time to hit the store.

This looks like a delicious day!    I am interested in this Mexi-Cali tuna salad?    I also like your picture idea, such an easier way  to keep track of what we eat unexpectedly during the day. 

giphy.gif

• Like 1

I love your challenge; all of it!

Are you the kind of cook who mostly finds a specific recipe you love and then follows it to the letter, or the kind who mostly learns a technique (ex. stir-fry, soup, risotto, omelette) that can be easily modified to whatever you have/feel like that day?

• Like 1

Challenge:   0   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33  34  35  36  37  38 

8 hours ago, juliebarkley said:

I love your challenge; all of it!

Thanks ! ! ! I hope it works out for me. 

8 hours ago, juliebarkley said:

the kind of cook who mostly finds a specific recipe you love and then follows it to the letter,

This is a nicer version of me. 😂 I initially went into a tirade about recipes and cups as measuring devices ... then deleted it. But yeah, I’ll find a recipe that I like and stick with it.

Man oh man, I went out shopping after work last night to gather everything needed for my 3 recipes and wouldn’t you know, not everything was available. I couldn’t find bay leaves, fresh parsley, and chicken broth nor ... white beans? Don’t think it’s even possible to get around here. Closest thing I could find here in Japan was tofu beans. So we’re off to a great start. 😞

Tried making the breakfast this morning before work and that was a bad idea. Frying an egg takes ages! At least I know I can do it, though. 👍🏻 

But c’mon people. There is no way someone ate this and thought it was appropriate. Look at the size of that guy!

Makes 1 serving
  2 eggs
  1 English muffin
  2 slices Swiss cheese
  2 slices tomato

Fry the eggs. Toast the English muffin. Place the eggs on the muffin and top with slices of cheese and tomato.

DA5F9F6B-4101-43F2-83FF-9E45E9562512.jpeg

Also, why is that sideways? It’s not on my phone. 😂

• Like 1

Lunch was made and I went for the Mexi-Cali Tuna Salad. Here’s the recipe @Eir:

Makes 1 serving
  1 can (3 ounces) chunk light tuna in water, drained
  3⁄4 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
  1⁄2 cup salsa
  1⁄2 ripe avocado, peeled and chopped

Mix the tuna, beans, and salsa in a bowl. Top with the avocado.

And how it turned out:

CD2D4E0B-B393-4DD4-BF50-487901B9492E.jpeg

And dinner has been made. Of course mine doesn’t look anything like the picture. 😞

Makes 4 servings

1 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
  4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  1 teaspoon pimentón (smoked paprika)
  3 cloves garlic, minced
  1⁄2 teaspoon red-pepper flakes
  1 bay leaf, broken into pieces
  1 can (14.5 ounces) petite-diced tomatoes, drained
  1 tablespoon tomato paste
  2 cans (15 ounces each) white beans, drained and rinsed
  1 cup chicken broth
  2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley

1. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. In a bowl, toss the shrimp with 1 tablespoon of the oil and the pimentón. Add the shrimp to the skillet and cook, stirring frequently, for 1 to 2 minutes, or until golden pink and just cooked through. Add half of the garlic during the last few seconds of cooking. Spoon the shrimp into a bowl.

2. Return the skillet to the heat. Add 2 tablespoons of the oil, the red-pepper flakes,
bay leaf, and the remaining garlic. Cook for just a few seconds, or until the garlic is fragrant and turns golden. Add the tomatoes and cook for 2 minutes, or until most of the liquid evaporates.

3. Add the tomato paste and cook until the mixture starts to darken. Add the beans and broth. Simmer for 4 to 5 minutes, or until it reaches a thick stew consistency. Stir in the shrimp and parsley. Continue cooking for 1 to 2 minutes, or until just heated through. Drizzle with the remaining 1 tablespoon oil. Serve immediately.

What it should look like vs what I happened to make. There is shrimp in there ... somewhere ... trying to peek through. Just squint a bit. You might make one out. 😂

98D8A583-86A2-4FAC-AD5B-73C7489631A3.jpeg

50E6CA89-5C0C-48AB-93B6-3724E47206EF.jpeg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Caius said:

Lunch was made and I went for the Mexi-Cali Tuna Salad. Here’s the recipe @Eir:

Makes 1 serving
  1 can (3 ounces) chunk light tuna in water, drained
  3⁄4 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
  1⁄2 cup salsa
  1⁄2 ripe avocado, peeled and chopped

Mix the tuna, beans, and salsa in a bowl. Top with the avocado.

And how it turned out:

CD2D4E0B-B393-4DD4-BF50-487901B9492E.jpeg

Oh this looks delish!  I will have to try it.  Thank you for sharing the recipe.

• Like 1

Just a quick update for the challenge. A bit early, but weekends are way too busy with work to do an update on Sunday and so Friday is better for me.

LUYL: So, I've found doing this before bed a bit challenging and rarely was I able to do it. Maybe twice? But I was able to wake up in the morning and cuss at myself and force myself to reflect on the day prior and write something. I've made a Google note to remind me to do this and hopefully next week will be better. Definitely no gold star for extra credit because I only did one a day. Not even sure I get a check mark for this one. 🤷‍♂️

Training: That's found on my battle log and I've completed the three workouts for the week and got in one of the 3C workouts.  ✔️

Nutrition: As you can see above, the new meals were learned and made once, and I made them again a second time. The avocado made me angry. The recipe only calls for half of an avocado and by the time I got around to making that meal again the other half went bad. This will turn into a big waste of money unless I can somehow either save the second half or perhaps change the meal plan to something more stable.

Part two here is the photographs of the non-planned food. I will add those pictures when I pull out my phone. A few things jump out at me after viewing them: 1) my friends love to sabotage me (I won't include the bag of Pepperidge Farm Chessman Cookies and Nutella some one gave me on Sunday ... the day this challenge started ... and if you know me that pairing is an Achilles heel of mine; and I haven’t had any ... yet. ), 2) starting the day with a carb-heavy meal and not my normal meal really had a snowball effect on the day, and 3) my snack may not be as satisfying as I thought. ✔️

• Monday 14 Sep: 1 croissant - was given by a friend near the end of work as a gift
  • Tuesday 15 Sep: 0.5 loaf of cheese bread - a shared surprise for breakfast that I chose to replace mine
  • Tuesday 15 Sep: 1 handful of nuts - eaten after my snack because I wasn't yet satisfied
  • Tuesday 15 Sep: 1 bowl of cereal - eaten after my snack because I wasn't yet satisfied
  • Thursday 17 Sep: 1 handful of nuts - eaten after my snack because I wasn't yet satisfied

CF22F8CA-8394-4806-8A01-EF839A66728F.jpeg

9218BB5C-397F-44F2-91FB-79BF90AF9718.jpeg

F2F9F5F7-4CCE-4B17-8A98-50CBA8FFB466.jpeg

2BF9F3C2-6C4C-433A-9F2D-DAE6A672BB29.jpeg

2CBF7183-61E6-4DB1-A270-1F5D36995CD8.jpeg