Tarly does Qigong like Donkey Kong

Stronkey Kong

The name says it all right?

4861.gif

Goal 1, Qigong everyday in the wee morning hours.

During those predawn hours is when qi energy is on the rise (supposedly), making it the best time to cultivate the qi. Anywho, it's convenient enough that I get home form my night shift job and have a couple hours to do this. And doing some light/gentle movement that's flowy and meditative is good to do at the end of a work day.

Goal 2, MWF -- NF Academy Bodyweight workouts -- featuring qigong movement and breathing

I also want to get back onto cultivating some strength again, so I'll follow the NF academy workouts. But... I'm going to do them with qigong movements. I think all the movements can be adapted to incorporate a tai chi/qigong feel. Like, slow down and breathe with the movement, do it with a sense of balance and attention, rather than just banging out the reps.

For instance, last week I was doing some single leg RDLs... I turned it into a movement where I kick my leg back slowly while extending my arms forward in a push.

Pushups, and squats will be done slowly, and I'll probably be adapting movements from my Kung Fu training where appropriate.

Goal 3, TRS -- Ba Duan Jin -- Qigong routine

Known also as the 8 Pieces of Brocade or 8 Treasures, this is a pretty standard Qigong routine. It will be my 'rest day' routine. Mostly I'm just doing this to memorize the form, and practice the movements. They all look easy, until you do it yourself and start picking out the details of the breathing and movements. In any case, it's a good routine for flexibility, coordination, and balance.

Goal 4, Horde Money

I've decided to start saving for a house again. I did a little bit of shopping online in the market here. There are some nice little houses for relatively cheap, I'd wind up with a mortgage less than my rent and I'd be earning equity so I ought to do this. I need a few thousand bucks for a down payment and fees to get things rolling. So I need to make myself work more hours and save aggressively. If I can manage that, I should be looking to purchase by the Spring next year.

Goal 5, Write 600 words a day.

Mostly self-explanatory. I'm working on a novel (one of three actually) and I want to see it to the end. It's a weird Western with supernatural and grim/dark fantasy elements about a gunslinger who can summon ghosts and is pursuing a cult leader who eats ghosts through a mysterious and vast desert where he meets a sorceress and dragon tamer who helps him track the cult leader. Or something like that.

• Like 9

Level 3, Rebel

Currtent Challenge
Previously known as: Curl Brogo, Darwins_Demon, Vincent Van Bro

2020 Respawn Battle Log || Tarly's Ten Level Nutrition Plan

My Fitness Pal Profile || NF Epic Quest Character Page || Instagram

Weight Loss Quest: Start 270 lbs., Goal 199 lbs., Current 270 lbs., Waist: ,45.0 in., Bodyfat%: 33%

12 hours ago, annyshay said:

Awesome goals, and I'm really excited that you're still writing!

Thanks! Are you still writing... thinking about Nano this year?

9 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Following along for the qigong and donkey Kong, so bang a Gong from Honk Kong. Sing a song, what could go wrong? Man, my rhymes are strong.

The road is long, but we'll walk 'til dawn.When the night is gone, we'll eat some prawns.

8 hours ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

Hecks yeah! I love this so much. And I cheered inwardly when I saw old school Donkey Kong pounding away on your post. 

Did you have this guy as a kid?

8c6c6457ee6115b898190557c64902e2.jpg

Solid plan for this challenge. I like it especially because it's about adding to your life, and not restricting or setting limits. Very inspiring. 

Unfortunately no. And now I wish I did.

4 hours ago, Harriet said:

I'm here for the qigong deadlifts. 

Which is basically just me bending over. Admit it, you're here to check out my butt.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Level 3, Rebel

Currtent Challenge

Weight Loss Quest: Start 270 lbs., Goal 199 lbs., Current 270 lbs., Waist: ,45.0 in., Bodyfat%: 33%

Hello from about 3 hours to the north of you!  I’m super excited to follow your challenge.  I, too, am hoarding money.  

I thought about getting a second job to hoard faster,  however,  I decided that finally finishing my degree sounded like a better plan.  

Also,  now I want to play some Donkey Kong.  Thanks. 😬

• Like 2

Level 2 Satyress adventurerSTR 3|DEX 3|STA 2|CON 2|WIS 7|CHA 6

First Challenge:  Disney Song Playlist (April 15th, 2013)

Second Challenge:  Better late than never (June 6, 2013)

"All great changes are preceded by chaos" - Deepak Chopra

On 9/7/2020 at 5:00 AM, Chris Tarly said:

It's a weird Western with supernatural and grim/dark fantasy elements about a gunslinger who can summon ghosts and is pursuing a cult leader who eats ghosts through a mysterious and vast desert where he meets a sorceress and dragon tamer who helps him track the cult leader. Or something like that.

That sounds so creative and interesting!

• Like 1

Chaotic-Neutral, Elven Bladesinger (Apprentice): Level 1

Current Stats: STR 11 || DEX 11 || CON 12 || INT 15 || WIS 15 || CHA 12

Goal Stats: STR 14 || DEX 17+ || CON 14 || INT 18+ || WIS 18+ || CHA 14

"To dare is to lose one's footing momentarily; to not dare is to lose one's self". - Søren Kierkegaard

On 9/8/2020 at 12:34 AM, Chris Tarly said:

Which is basically just me bending over. Admit it, you're here to check out my butt.

Of course not! You're gonna post videos, though, right? 

• Haha 2

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

True to form, I'm throwing wrenches at the gears of this challenge before it even starts...

Wrench 1) I'm adding lifting, I'm gonna do my five element, 10-5-3 program I designed like 2-3 years ago... this will just change my workouts and whatever. No biggie.

Wrench 2) While thinking about this whole "hording money to buy a house" goal, I had to start thinking... "Do I really want to settle down here?" Here = Indianapolis. So I started doing some research. It turns out, one of the best places for machinists is in the Seattle, WA area. While looking at jobs/salaries in the area I found an ad for a "online hiring event" for Blue Origin... Jeff Bezos's "I've taken over earth, now I'm going after space" company... so I signed up for a zoom interview just for the hell of it. They're are having a hiring surge right now. Tonight, I researched how my finances would need to change to make the move, and how much machinists out there make.

This could happen. It is feasible that I could move out there and maintain my current, good standard of living... which would be upgraded because I'd also be surrounded by mountains and trees and the possibility of meeting Sasquatch.

tumblr_pfora7Igc11xch6xgo1_400.gifv

tumblr_pfora7Igc11xch6xgo2_400.gifv

Also, making parts for space rockets!

tenor.gif?itemid=11637678

• Like 7

Level 3, Rebel

Currtent Challenge

11 hours ago, Chris Tarly said:

Wrench 2) While thinking about this whole "hording money to buy a house" goal, I had to start thinking... "Do I really want to settle down here?" Here = Indianapolis. So I started doing some research. It turns out, one of the best places for machinists is in the Seattle, WA area. While looking at jobs/salaries in the area I found an ad for a "online hiring event" for Blue Origin... Jeff Bezos's "I've taken over earth, now I'm going after space" company... so I signed up for a zoom interview just for the hell of it. They're are having a hiring surge right now. Tonight, I researched how my finances would need to change to make the move, and how much machinists out there make.

If you go beware erudite neighbors ranting from their balconies

• Haha 1

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

19 hours ago, cd667 said:

Blimey, Chris, that would be an interesting job. I'd love to spend some time out that way.

Did you grow up where you live now?

I spent two weeks in Seattle... for Kung Fu summer camp... our hotel was in Tumwater,  we trained every morning in Olympia, and in the evening we either trained in Olympia or Seattle. I was there around the summer solstice and have never experienced a better climate than that. The air is super fresh, you're surrounded by green, tree covered mountains and foothills. Every day was between 65-75 degrees F (18-22 C) with just the right humidity to make it balmy and fresh.

I also went to Portland, OR around the same time of year and got similar results... a bit warmer and sunnier in Portland from my memory.

But here's the thing... parts of the calendar that are not plus or minus one week of the summer solstice tend to be a lot cloudier... so I'm not sure if I could handle that nearly year round. Not sure I'd care though either. I work nights and haven't really missed sunshine much and I don't mind getting my vitamin D from capsules. But can I handle it cloudy and pissing down rain off and on in perpetuity.

17 hours ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

Fun Fact: the actor who played Harry in that movie went to high school with my parents. They were good friends. People would ask him how the weather was up there  (because he was tall, obviously) and Kevin would say “It’s raining fists” 

Another Fun Fact: Kevin also played predator...

200w.webp?cid=ecf05e47f5146cf7e89d21ff7b

yup. That to...

200w.webp?cid=ecf05e47npocfjejx5lbsfdtrd

Same dude. And they say Meryl Streep is versatile.

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47ep6l1en99w9rxybi7z

9 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

If you go beware erudite neighbors ranting from their balconies

Not sure if this would be as big a problem in Kent, WA which is where the position is located and where I'd likely live. But, it's a change I would welcome.

• Like 5

Level 3, Rebel

Currtent Challenge

Complicated new lifting program is complicated: (I did post a version of this that I never followed through on a couple years ago... )

Five Lifts:

Front Squat

Deadlift

Dips/Pushups

Pullup/Chinup/Rows

Clean and Press

Five Elements  --> Five SetxReps schemes  :: Symbolic Emphasis/Expected result :: season -- meaning

Wood  --> 5 x 10 @ 50% of max :: Initiation of growth--  hypertrophy  :: spring -- seedlings and budding sprouts

Fire     --> 5 x 3-6 @ 70% of max :: Max activity/productivity -- Strength gains :: Early summer -- maximum foliage growth and flowering

Earth  --> 3 x 2-3 @ 90% of max :: Balance/peak/equilibrium -- strength gains :: Late summer -- fruit is ripening slowly as the season turns

Metal --> Max volume in 5 min* :: endurance/discipline/focus -- HIIT or similar workout :: Autumn -- harvest time, chop wood, get it done, winter is coming.

Water --> BW-qigong--yoga version :: Rest/Fluidity/Recovery/Reflection -- recovery :: Winter -- rest and wait out the cold, good winters result from a good harvest, bad winters result from a bad harvest

Lift every day M-F according to element. Rotate exercises through the elements.

image.png.c5a93cfa1be09747eee16269b52ba1e6.png

Is that complicated enough?

Oh! Hey! There are five weeks to get through the whole thing... there are five weeks to a challenge... How about that?

Addit: I changed the element-workout associations -- cuz I remembered there was another reason for how those associations are formed and some other crackpot theory about strength training I made up. The Chinese elements represent phases in a process of constant change. Imagine throwing a ball into the air. Wood is the upward thrust you give it with your arm. Fire is fast rising activity after it leaves your hand and sails into the air. Earth is the short pause at the peak where the upward thrust balances against the pull of gravity. Metal is the ball plummeting back to the ground. Water is when it finally settles and stops when it's back on the ground.

• Hypertrophy prepares the muscles for strength training by inducing pump. The muscles get depleted of energy, but not really strained/challenged, but overcompensating for this depletion leads to pump and mild repair that prepares the muscle for further performance. -- Hence, wood element.
  • Strength training is where/when the real work gets done. The muscles are challenged and strained to induce the building of more muscle fibers, nerves get stimulated. This training induces the most meaningful growth. -- Hence, fire element.
  • Max intensity -- Really this would be 3 sets of 1, equivalent to a powerlifting meet or a max test, where you want to have a balance/equilibrium, you're well fed, rested, but warmed up and mentally prepared to perform at your best. But working sets of one is not likely to produce much if any more strength. Hence, Earth. I chose sets of 2-3 because it's not my goal right now to go all out for 1 rep maxes or do a strength meet.
  • HIIT/max volume in 5 min -- this is where you cut back down from the muscle gain so you do intense cardio. You got all bloated from the meet, or your bulking phase, now that you have your gains you want to shred the bulk. So you suck it up and do HIIT cardio. Also, the metal element is associated with the breath. Hence, metal.
  • Finally, you've got your gainz, now you're ripped. Take a break and rest a bit. Hence, water.

Feel free to call me on my bullshit.

• Like 6

Level 3, Rebel

Currtent Challenge

On 9/11/2020 at 4:47 AM, Chris Tarly said:

This could happen. It is feasible that I could move out there and maintain my current, good standard of living... which would be upgraded because I'd also be surrounded by mountains and trees and the possibility of meeting Sasquatch.

And easy access to fresh seafood, which is the biggest upgrade of all. :) 

• Like 1

Reading Challenge Thread 2022

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37

23 hours ago, Chris Tarly said:

Feel free to call me on my bullshit.

Wouldn't dream of it. Creative association can be wonderfully motivating. 

• Like 1

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

On 9/12/2020 at 5:10 PM, Snarkyfishguts said:

Yes, but also beautiful!

3 hours ago, Harriet said:

Wouldn't dream of it. Creative association can be wonderfully motivating. 

Thanks. There is definitely something aesthetic about the idea of balancing elements like that, and I think that's why a lot of people are still drawn to TCM despite a lack of modern, objective scientific evidence for most of it.

7 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

And easy access to fresh seafood, which is the biggest upgrade of all. :) 

4 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Incidentally, Sasquatch runs one of the better Fishmonger stalls.

Double win... I'm definitely going then.

======================================

I'd blame boredom and loneliness from the social isolation of the pandemic, but this video is from 2017:

=====================================================

So I redid the bujo and am back to tracking my diet and such.

I was weighing in a 270 last week, and pretty sure I jumped on the scale a couple times last week to check, but didn't track, but I was still up there. Two days back to tracking and I've already dropped down to 263. So I'm dropping the junk weight and bloat quickly again which is always the first step.

Tracking portions is definitely a good activity for me. I think psychologically it keeps me from going overboard.

I changed some allowances though. I basically doubled my allowed intake of: eggs, poultry, seafood, and vegetarian proteins (tofu and the like). I'm not trying to eat double on these groups, but just allowing more since I intend to lift some weights.

Dairy, whey, fats, and red meat are still limited. And I'm trying to limit grains to 4 serv. a day (though, if I'm craving I decided I can back fill to the previous two days, since I crave them when I'm skipping them, and this gives me a sense of when to stop). Fruit is limited to 6 a day, and I'm trying to eat 6 a day of vegetables.

===================================================

I was all cranky and tired and agitated and unfocused because I hadn't slept well all week. I also had no apetite yesterday. I made a huge mess in my living room because I decided to get out the old gray box (NES) and try to hook it up to the (modern) TV.

I got it working but I only got about five minutes of gameplay before LoZ locked up and I spent the better part of an hour trying all the old school video game voodoo that you'd try to get a game to work when it wouldn't load. Ahh... that blinking red LED and flashing gray screen really takes me back. I haven't played that console in at least 15 years. Hopefully it just needs to get cleaned out and warmed up and it will function normally.

Combined with this plan to move 3000 miles away for a job I'm barely qualified for. The terrible eating and sleeping habits lately. The irritability. Good chance I was getting into hypomania territory. When I went to bed last night I decided to not set an alarm and let my body sleep as much as it wanted/needed. I slept for 11 hours, and now I feel much better.

=====================================================================

As far as this rocket man job goes:

I'm going to do the interview. I updated my resume and linkedin, and filled out the application online. I just need to put together a list of my own questions to ask, and I should be ready. My impression is that it's mostly just to see if I'm a fit. I may or may not be depending on how badly they want to fill positions. The application says min 5 years experience. I'm at 2.5, but there's so much demand in this field that they may be willing to hire me... though probably for less money than I need and want.

The approach I need to take is to play the long game. I'm doing this to learn more about the company, and make some contacts for a future goal. If I can't do it now, and I don't think I could realistically make a move out there in the very near future, I can set a goal for 2-5 years from now.

============================================

Next, I need to batch cook some chicken thighs and figure out what a front squat 5x10 workout is gonna look like for tomorrow.

• Like 4

Level 3, Rebel

Currtent Challenge

1 hour ago, Chris Tarly said:

I got it working but I only got about five minutes of gameplay before LoZ locked up and I spent the better part of an hour trying all the old school video game voodoo that you'd try to get a game to work when it wouldn't load. Ahh... that blinking red LED and flashing gray screen really takes me back. I haven't played that console in at least 15 years. Hopefully it just needs to get cleaned out and warmed up and it will function normally.

Rubbing alcohol on the pins is always a go-to for fixing NES cartridges.

• Like 1

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

You've got a lot of exciting stuff on your plate! Even good stuff is stressful, aaaaaaaaaand I think it's awesome you're going for it. I think you may surprise yourself and realize you're very qualified. I've noticed you tend to underestimate your level of awesome. You've taken on some amazing challenges and conquered them because you pointed at the goal and said "I'm gonna get there." I really admire that about you. You totally got this, mister. 

also, I love that nostalgia with the videogames. My favorites were Bubble Bobble and Princess Tomato in the Salad Kingdom. (dreamy sighs)  I play the old LoZ sometimes on my 3DS and it's a lot of fun, but definitely not the same after a long battle to get the damn cartridge to play. 😂