Tarly does Qigong like Donkey Kong

Stronkey Kong

No more workouts this week, but we'll see about later tonight.

I went to the grocery store in person for the first time in a long while. I've have a habit, for better or worse, of using instacart. I wound up spending twice as much as I would on instacart because I could shop around. But I also did this on purpose because after relaxing all rules and going with the intuitive HAES approach, I decided I'd buy myself a few things for when I had cravings and such. I just allowed myself to browse the aisles I usually skip in effort to not buy junk food. I bought:

1 bar of dark chocolate... cuz sometimes we craves chocolate don't we.

1 bag of Haribo Gold Bears... cuz gummi bears

1 bag of Halloween candy (it's been on the shelves since mid September)

2 boxes of breakfast sammiches... cuz I love brekfest sammmiches.

1 bag of Pepperidge Farm Milano cookies... mmm cookies, at least I didn't buy a slab* of Oreos.

So I hid most of that in the pantry out of sight so I don't eat it all by Monday. And I put this whole thing to the test. It was tempting to just dig into the candy and B'fast Smmchies as soon as I got home, but I paused and put some thought into it, and my body was saying starch and fruit, not chocolate and cheese, so I opted for Raisin bran with walnuts and blueberries instead.

Next, I started up a giant pot of Italian Wedding soup so I have a quick go-to for lunches during the week. It has ten more minutes to simmer before I fish out the bay leaves and add the chopped spinach and serve. Based on the spoonfuls I've had to taste, it's gonna be awesome.

Right now I'm sipping some wine and studying to take a skills assessment to start this Data Engineering bootcamp I'm thinking about. After looking at the initial description on the start page, I should be able to ace it. I'm thinking I'll knock it out this weekend, then think about it while I wait for results. If I decided to plunge forward with it, that's gonna be a six months of non-stop work and no going back.

Stay tuned.

*I just now came up with this, this is now the proper unit of measurement for Oreo purchases... I edited from 'rack' to 'slab'... rack is also acceptable.**

** I will refer to packages of Newtons as bricks

Addit: Soup is done!

cf112500721148e950db3fed2788621d473941b3

• Like 4

Level 3, Rebel

Currtent Challenge
Previously known as: Curl Brogo, Darwins_Demon, Vincent Van Bro

2020 Respawn Battle Log || Tarly's Ten Level Nutrition Plan

My Fitness Pal Profile || NF Epic Quest Character Page || Instagram

Weight Loss Quest: Start 270 lbs., Goal 199 lbs., Current 270 lbs., Waist: ,45.0 in., Bodyfat%: 33%

On 10/5/2020 at 2:48 AM, Stronkey Kong said:

So that's where all this is going now. I'm going to focus on making myself stronger and finding ways to enjoy movement for its own sake and eventually I'll become more active. I'll listen to my gut and mood when it comes to food and just be honest with myself about what I want rather than try to restrain myself and build up big cravings.

This is a good place to begin. I'm really happy for you. and it sounds like it's working already! That soup looks amazing btw!

• Like 1

Yeah. The bag of Halloween candy is gone. And I know from experience the dog in the above video does in fact have a tummyache.

I need to get a dog to blame this shit on.

<sighs> ... <moves on>

I did another workout last night.

For context... I decided that going forward I need a straightforward and simple test of my fitness level. I've turned to this idea in the past as a basic set of goals... US Marine Corps PFT standards: Basically, there are scores for max pushups in two minutes or max pullups (untimed), max crunches in two minutes or a plank hold, and a timed 3 mile run.

For a man aged 36-40 (like me)

image.png.70c9bc1948be6cbdf3eae95d818fbba1.png

So that's why I added a bunch of rowing/pullup related work right away... because that exercise is the only one I can't do.

Yesterday I set my timer for 2 min and tested some of these...

Pushups 9 /16 total

Plank 35 s

Barbell Rows 135# 5, 5, 6 (lotta English on the last set)

The rules say that you cannot move your hands or feet without taking them off the floor, or deviate from a pushup position, and after the first nine, I started taking rest breaks during the two minutes, So that 9 / 16 means 9 without rest, 16 during the whole 2 min.

My personal goal for the day was get at least a 30 s plank, so I'm happy with 35 s. I'm not going to mess with crunches unless my back starts proving it's getting in better shape. I do crunches as part of my normal ab workouts, but they are different than the 3/4 situps the Marines do.

I did the math, if I can do a set of 6 rows at 225#, I should be able to do a pullup at my current weight... assuming rowing = pullups in mechanical terms. It doesn't, but anywho, I'm going to run a basic 3x5 strength routine to get my pulling muscles stronger.

I haven't decided how I'm going to tackle the 3 mile... we'll just call it a 5k... run. It will be a separate workout on different days, all on its own. Partly, I'm avoiding thinking about cuz Eyedonewahnah.

==============

So why am I thinking military fitness standards? Well for one the pushups, rows, and plank can be a quick workout when time is limited. It's straightforward and simple. And, what about this bootcamp thing I've been looking into... yeah we're probably gonna have a theme on that next challenge... which I'm already thinking about, cuz this one is on fire like garbage.

I took the skills test for the boot camp the other night. There wasn't much to it. If I bombed it, it was on the multiple choice questions which I didn't put much thought into. Idk. We'll see.

If I did well enough (probably did) I'll have to weigh pros and cons and decided whether I really want to do this and when to start.

And soon we drinks the wine.

• Like 4

Level 3, Rebel

Currtent Challenge

Weight Loss Quest: Start 270 lbs., Goal 199 lbs., Current 270 lbs., Waist: ,45.0 in., Bodyfat%: 33%

On 10/9/2020 at 8:57 PM, Stronkey Kong said:

I started up a giant pot of Italian Wedding soup

Hell ya wedding soup.  I was debating making that next week.

Interesting time for the planks.  I was building up and almost was able to do that listed amount.  *sigh*  I'm going to have to go back to those, aren't I?

• Like 1

Challenge is over. I honestly have no idea what is going on right now. 😕 I've been thinking about the next challenge all week.

Here are some acronyms and abbreviations for the next challenge.

PFT

BuJo

HEMA

NES

• Like 2

Level 3, Rebel

Currtent Challenge