Jump to content

GK ups the pace


Recommended Posts

Another month, another challenge. I'm excited. 

 

tenor.gif?itemid=15775486

 

Zero Week

I'm scheduled to finish my Couch 2 5K this week, although it's really more a Couch 2 30 minutes. My first run is this afternoon and I'll hopefully get up to that 30 minute mark. 

 

1. Get that 5k.

Pretty obvious 1st challenge, and no real explanation needed. 

 

1a. 5k in under 35 minutes 

I don't want to assume anything, but I'm hoping that I'll manage to get up to 5k before the end of the challenge. I think i can do it in a time of around 40 minutes, based on my current pace. I'd like to get that under 35 minutes. 

 

2. Incorporate upper body workouts 

I've been finishing off my runs with KB swings, figure 8s, goblet squats and a few other things. I'm going to try and use my non running days to do some upper body work: press ups, KB Halos, rows. 

 

3. Cut out the bad snacks

I’ve done a better job of making my snacks healthier during the day, lots of fruit. But evenings i sometimes have a bag of crisps. Need to try and develop some better self discipline. 

 

4. Get back to reading and writing

Working from home has, for me, been great. I have more time to myself and my work and mental health is better. But one of the downsides is that since lockdown began is I've not done any reading or writing: I used to do it on my commute. Without that, I've not got around to readjusting my schedule. That'll hopefully change. 

 

5. Battlestar Galactica 

The BBC have started showing it again. A perfect excuse to watch it again. Can I get my wife to watch it? Probably not, but I'll try. 

 

battlestar-galactica-gif-1.gif

  • Like 1
Link to post
4 hours ago, Harriet said:

Let us know how the 5k goes. Also, what are you writing?

 

I've got a couple of stories at various stages (none beyond 'halfway through first draft' and a few where I'm just kicking ideas about on paper). 2 Post apocalyptic dystopias and something I'd like to think will become a more hopeful sci-fi. They're ideas I've had in my head for a while (years, now i think about it) and I decided just before Christmas I may as well start writing them down. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
5 hours ago, Big_Show said:

Good challenges!  I noticed my reading went down wildly when I stopped getting the train to work too.

 

It's not just a train thing either: My mum mentioned that she's lost all appetite for reading these last few months and she's retired and absolutely tears through books usually. 

Link to post
18 hours ago, GodzillaKong said:

 

2 Post apocalyptic dystopias and something I'd like to think will become a more hopeful sci-fi. They're ideas I've had in my head for a while (years, now i think about it) and I decided just before Christmas I may as well start writing them down. 

 

A quick read-through of the NaNoWriMo forums makes it seem like everyone started having ideas for post-apocalyptic stories right after they started quarantine... nice to see someone capable of coming up with that on their own, without the help of a pandemic 😛 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
9 minutes ago, Scaly Freak said:

 

A quick read-through of the NaNoWriMo forums makes it seem like everyone started having ideas for post-apocalyptic stories right after they started quarantine... nice to see someone capable of coming up with that on their own, without the help of a pandemic 😛 

 

I think if anything the pandemic is responsible for me not writing the stories. Bad enough living in a world going down the pan without writing about it as well! 😄 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
Link to post
2 hours ago, GodzillaKong said:

 

I think if anything the pandemic is responsible for me not writing the stories. Bad enough living in a world going down the pan without writing about it as well! 😄 

 

I agree! I have had a sort-of post-apocalypse idea for a while now, but it seems very bad taste to start plotting out a story about how a virus has made Earth uninhabitable for this year's NaNo... 

  • Like 2
Link to post

Lurking! 

 

4 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

 

I agree! I have had a sort-of post-apocalypse idea for a while now, but it seems very bad taste to start plotting out a story about how a virus has made Earth uninhabitable for this year's NaNo... 

I don't know, depends on how hopeful it is ;)

 

Link to post

Zero Week update 

 

I completed the programme! 

 

thumb_yes-picard-says-yes-quickmeme-5333

 

So obviously I'm happy about that (although more tired than happy), but also i ran about 120 metres more on Wednesday and today than i did on Monday. Jobs not done yet, but a good milestone nonetheless. 

 

I've started doing some upper body stuff too. Nothing too much at the moment, but one of the things I'm doing is https://hundredpushups.com

 

Along with my actual weight, my struggle to do pushups is an indicator of how unfit I've become over the last decade or more. Not saying i could ever knock them out like a marine or anything, but i used to be able to do 10 easily. Now... Sheesh. I think this will do a good job. 

 

Finally, and most excitingly, I'm watching BSG again and I've managed to convince my wife to watch it and she's enjoying it! 

 

 

  • Like 3
Link to post

Today's run: 4.3km in 34 minutes. Again thats a rough estimate as for some reason the app i was using decided not to measure distance. Which is annoying. I did get a call halfway through, so that night be something to do with it.  Nevermind. i am pleased with myself. 

  • Like 2
Link to post

tenor.gif?itemid=17213270

 

I have now run 5k 4 times, getting a little quicker every time. Managed to get down to 39:29 yesterday. All is going wel... 

 

tumblr_myng3zBWPC1srbyoyo1_400.gif

 

Uh oh... 

 

Bq87.gif

 

I've done my back in this morning. As with last year, it was something utterly inconsequential. Then it was leaning over as i shaved, today i was bending over to empty the dishwasher. I think that's the end of any exercise for at least the remainder of the week, if not longer. 

Link to post
4 hours ago, GodzillaKong said:

I've done my back in this morning. As with last year, it was something utterly inconsequential. Then it was leaning over as i shaved, today i was bending over to empty the dishwasher. I think that's the end of any exercise for at least the remainder of the week, if not longer. 

 

This sounds both painful and very frustrating. I hope it gets better soon!

Link to post

It's been just over a week since I've done my back in. It's been a lot better since that first day but still giving me problems. If i manage to get another run in before the end of the challenge I'll be happy, but I'm going to have to work my way back up to where i managed to get to. Bummer. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
23 hours ago, KB Girl said:

That sucks.. any idea what might be the underlying cause?

 

I'd imagine a mixture of bad posture and being overweight. Both times I've hurt it it's been doing something utterly inconsequential. It could just be 'one of those things' or just getting older. 

 

The good news is I've been pain free all weekend. I'm going to give it another few days but then I'll try to get back to running. 

  • Like 2
Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...