Manarelle is boring af... or learning patience

Manarelle

• 51 Oct '20: Design Valkyrie wings, housekeeping. 
  • 52 Nov '20: Starting on wings, selling the house drama.
  • 53 Dec '20: Wiring wings, shift Russian to maintenance. 
  • 54 Jan '21: Still wings, maintain.
  • 55 Feb '21: Still wings, hourly exercises. 

Minor recap: I've finished the big cosplay for this year, which started out as not a big cosplay then got upgraded when the pandemic closed all cons that I might have worn it to. For financial and sanity reasons, I'm not starting the next one 'til October, when I normally would do so after debuting the new outfit at the local con. So... I'm bored. But I know I have a tendency to slingshot between "UGH I'm so bored" and "holy heck I overbooked myself," so I'm trying to ease into this boredom a bit. Due to the pandemic and us being overly cautious, I'm not getting out a whole lot either, so I'm 100% rebranding this year as "learning patience." 

patience.jpeg

Yeah... that's not my strong point, so here's to it improving. I made it all the way through an outing yesterday without yelling at or speeding around any cars on the road, but to be fair, it was mostly because I'd made a bet with the gentleman that I could keep myself in check. Maybe I need to do that more often. 

Goals: 

• Exercise: 3 days weights, 3 days cardio/ PT outside
  • Language: M-F keep working through Les Mis musical in French
  • Learning: Tu/ Th Russian class - any amount of progress
  • "Other"
    • Keep going on CurlyGirl hair stuff
    • Corral and store Thor/ Taboo cosplays
    • Catalog and store comics
    • At least work on the Backlash headsock
    • Make 3 more (covid) masks for me

At least the year is sliding into fall - it was actually cool last night when I went out for my evening walk. Here's to there being an actual winter this year. 

• Like 5

Manarelle the Level 55 Amazon Assassin

Gryffindarling and Sith Acolyte, somehow.

Challenges: 1-1011-2021-3031-4041-50, 51-60, Current

That's an amazing cosplay, but I sadly don't know what it's from. 

Following.

Here's to there being an actual winter this year.

*Sympathizes in Texan*

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

1 hour ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

That's an amazing cosplay, but I sadly don't know what it's from. 

Following.

*Sympathizes in Texan*

Ah, my bad. It's a character named Taboo from the Wildstorm comics which ran back in the 90s. The gentleman wanted a cosplay of his favorite character - Backlash - so I figured I'd make the female companion "real fast." It's rather obscure, and I don't expect most people to recognize it on sight, but there are some technical aspects I'm proud of. 

Oof, Texas winters.... I hear ya. We went down there in early spring last year and I was already dying of heat. 

Unrelated, I cleaned up my signature, below. Went back and did a quick summary of each set of 10 because the line imbalance was bugging me. Neat to note that 5 years ago, my first challenge was struggling to do the beginner bodyweight workout twice a week and now I'm doing 3x weightlifting and 3x cardio per week. Not too shabby. 

• Like 4
  • That's Metal 1

Checking my calendar clock to see how long it takes you go from bored to overloaded ;) 

• Haha 3
HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread    Bodyweight Exercise Library

The Arruvia Conspiracy Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 567, 89, 10 

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28Mardi Gras [Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

1 hour ago, WhiteGhost said:

Checking my calendar clock to see how long it takes you go from bored to overloaded ;) 

LOL. I can't really blame you, it's been a fixed pattern in my life for decades, now. I'm trying tho!

Took advantage of the holiday weekend to grab some storage containers and round up the cosplays. I've been kind of tucking things into random corners as I make them, and I thought it would be nice to have everything I need for a cosplay in one place so I can grab and go if an occasion arises. For Taboo, everything but the vest and tail fit. For Thor, everything but the breastplate and helmet fit, but I was expecting that cause they're big pieces. I realized a discrepancy between the two cosplays as I was packing up: Taboo is neat, it was fun to make, and I'm proud of the technical details, but I didn't really get a chance to "debut" it, and people will likely not recognize it much. Jane Foster's Thor, on the other hand, is a character I admire and connect with, and wearing the cosplay to a con was a HUGE ego boost as people recognized it and stopped me to ask for pictures. Packing up Taboo was matter-of-fact. Packing up Thor had me grinning like an idiot, running through the house and twirling with the cape over my shoulders. First time I've really understood the "does this spark joy" part of that organizing scheme. 

• Like 6

43 minutes ago, Manarelle said:

First time I've really understood the "does this spark joy" part of that organizing scheme.

So is this going to be part of your "should I make this costume now?" decision process?

• Like 2

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28Mardi Gras [Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

1 hour ago, WhiteGhost said:

So is this going to be part of your "should I make this costume now?" decision process?

Mmmmmmm..... probably, but not in a conscious way? Taboo only came up because the gentleman decided he wanted the Backlash cosplay, and he's said he has no interest in doing another. Realistically, then, the only impetus for me to do any cosplay from here on is because I want to. If someone suggests a cosplay, I will definitely keep the Taboo lesson in mind. The 2021 cosplay is Valkyrie (also Jane Foster), which will be much more recognizable, I feel, aaaaaaaaand if I can pull the wings off, will absolutely be an ego boost when I wear it out. And I will wear that one out, with a covid mask, if I have to. I'm already giggly about it and I've barely started. 

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Manarelle said:

Packing up Thor had me grinning like an idiot, running through the house and twirling with the cape over my shoulders. First time I've really understood the "does this spark joy" part of that organizing scheme. 

❤️ 

I look forward to the Valkyrie fun. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Main Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and a great coach

Current challenge: It's all future KB Girl's problem

my instagram - my gym's instagram

On 9/8/2020 at 12:11 PM, Manarelle said:

The 2021 cosplay is Valkyrie (also Jane Foster), which will be much more recognizable, I feel, aaaaaaaaand if I can pull the wings off, will absolutely be an ego boost when I wear it out. And I will wear that one out, with a covid mask, if I have to. I'm already giggly about it and I've barely started. 

❤️ LOVE

And given the attention to detail and amount of work you put into these...DUHHH! You should use that for something you're really excited about!

• Thanks 1

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

On 9/8/2020 at 6:49 PM, KB Girl said:

❤️

I look forward to the Valkyrie fun. 

Oh me, too.... I've allowed myself to start working on sketches and assembly order, researching materials and processes. My Cosplay wish list on google docs is growing. :) 

On 9/9/2020 at 2:51 PM, raptron said:

❤️ LOVE

And given the attention to detail and amount of work you put into these...DUHHH! You should use that for something you're really excited about!

Aw, thanks. Having looked at a lot of cosplays, I'm firmly convinced that the details are what really sells an outfit. And yeah, yeah, you're right. Taboo snuck up on me, lesson learned. 

So! Fun story last night. I've been doing cardio nights outdoors for a while, and I prefer to do so after the sun goes down because a) hot and b) less likely to run into other people then. Although I live in a pretty decent neighborhood, I'm still cognizant of being a single female out after dark, so I don't wear headphones, and keep my head on swivel. For stupid reasons, my uterus and my intestines were being bastards last night, so I was walking a little more slowly than usual, and slightly less alert. Took a different path than I usually do, and as I was walking away from the houses and into the (less-well-lit and rather deserted) campus area, I noticed the headlights on the trees ahead of me hadn't turned off to stay with the main road like most traffic does. Glanced over my shoulder and saw an old beater about 100 ft behind me. Kept going, the road turned and started downhill, and when I was about halfway down, I see the headlights turn the corner and the squeal of someone riding bad brakes. Glance back, it's keeping pace, still about 100ft behind me. Fab. 

Use the windows of the nearest building to keep tabs on it, keep my pace normal, listen to the brake squeals. Stay with the road as it bends around one corner of the building and then sprint like f**k to not only the next corner of the building, but also the one after that which I know has woods near it. Slow down, walk normally along the woods, head on swivel again, ears open juuuuuust in case. Made it to the next bend in the road without seeing the car, which made me much happier. The rest of the walk went well other than a couple souped-up pickups driving by and catcalling... must've been a testosterone night or something. 

Got me thinking, though... when I was younger, I couldn't do the mile in gym class for crap, but I was unbeaten in sprints and shuttle runs. Wonder if my half-ass attempts at running never took off because I'm more put together for sprints. Might try to tinker with adding short sprints to my walks; I didn't realize how much I missed the feeling of joy and freedom while sprinting. 

• Like 4

Good job sprinting for safety, sucks that you had to do it.

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

On 9/12/2020 at 1:12 AM, Manarelle said:

I didn't realize how much I missed the feeling of joy and freedom while sprinting. 

I’m glad this is what you got out of that experience! 
the freedom part is definitely a huge motivator in keeping up with fitness for me. 

• Like 2

Main Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and a great coach

Current challenge: It's all future KB Girl's problem

my instagram - my gym's instagram

On 9/7/2020 at 9:26 AM, Manarelle said:

I've finished the big cosplay for this year

WHOA

On 9/7/2020 at 12:54 PM, Manarelle said:

my first challenge was struggling to do the beginner bodyweight workout twice a week and now I'm doing 3x weightlifting and 3x cardio per week. Not too shabby. 

Hell yeah. Seeing that progress is an amazing feeling. I think my first challenge was, like, walk four times a week. :) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

"We can be heroes"

Level 13 Assassin | climbing | meditating | running | writing | bodyweight training | kickboxing | Backyard gym project

Current Challenge39 | 38 | 37 | 36 | 35 | 34 | 33 | 32 | 31 | 30 | 29 | 28 | 27 | 26 | 25 | 24 | 23 | 22 | 21 | 20 | 19 | 18 | 1716 | 15 | 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1 

On 9/11/2020 at 8:31 PM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Good job sprinting for safety, sucks that you had to do it.

Hey, silver lining and all that. I'm also working on not reacting emotionally to everything that goes on in life, so good practice for that. 

18 hours ago, KB Girl said:

I’m glad this is what you got out of that experience! 
the freedom part is definitely a huge motivator in keeping up with fitness for me. 

I think I've lost sight of that.. so many of my fitness goals is "Trying to get this or that or form right" and there's no "reap the benefits and just feel free and exhilerated." Still working on how to get sprints in without it feeling like a "have to," but last night's cardio included a couple really short run bursts across streets. Maybe I just need to try adding some random runs when I feel like it into my walks. 

1 hour ago, RogueLibrarian said:

Hell yeah. Seeing that progress is an amazing feeling. I think my first challenge was, like, walk four times a week. :) 

/high five to fellow "we've come so far" rebel!

Week 0:

• Exercise: Yes. 
  • Language: Yes.
  • Learning: Yes. Thursday's tutoring was cancelled due to technical problems, so I did some classwork instead of just writing the night off. 
  • "Other"
    • Keep going on CurlyGirl hair stuff: Yes
    • Corral and store Thor/ Taboo cosplays: Done!
    • Catalog and store comics: Not yet. 
    • At least work on the Backlash headsock: I took measurements and found mock-up fabric. 
    • Make 3 more (covid) masks for me: Done!
    • Added - get 3 chapters of LO laid out for print. 

Nothing terribly exciting, just keeping on with the patience. I definitively and loudly hit the "I'M BORED" phase yesterday, so I'm adding the print copy goal to make it seem like I'm actively working on something. I'll aim for progress on that and sorting comics this week. 

Was at the pharmacy because they messed up my bc pills this weekend, and I saw they had flu shots. I highly doubt I'll be going in to the office any time soon, but went ahead and got one anyway because why not. Slept like crap due to the muscle aches and one side of my nose randomly stopped up, so today ain't great, but it could be worse. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Manarelle said:

I definitively and loudly hit the "I'M BORED" phase yesterday, so I'm adding the print copy goal to make it seem like I'm actively working on something. I'll aim for progress on that and sorting comics this week.

This is great! It's hard to NOT do stuff, but its much easier to shift the focus to something else and do that instead. It works even better if that alternative is something you actually want to do

• Like 1

Yikes, I'm not sure I would use "fun" to describe that story.  I'm glad it ended uneventfully

• Thanks 1

Level 2 Ninja

I'm here to offer my support for all of the patient things!

• Like 1

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."

Week 1:

• Exercise: Yes. 
  • Language: Yes.
  • Learning: Yes. 
  • "Other"
    • Keep going on CurlyGirl hair stuff: Yes!
    • Corral and store Thor/ Taboo cosplays: Done.
    • Catalog and store comics: Done. 
    • At least work on the Backlash headsock: Mockup works
    • Make 3 more (covid) masks for me: Done, and made 3 more even. 
    • Added - get 3 chapters of LO laid out for print: Finished 1. 

Been a quiet week... online at least. Gave in to my parents' whingeing and had them over for lunch.... responsibly socially distanced since they don't believe in the pandemic and I refuse to risk my life just because they're dumb. The joys of being an adult - "my house my rules" finally works in your favor. :) Went to a new lady for a haircut and was very impressed - she dry-cut my hair and walked me through some pars of curly hair care that I hadn't really understood. 10/10 will be going back, and I really like how my hair is now. She put a leave-in treatment in, so I haven't done the full curly routine to see how it fully looks yet, but I still dig it. Pardon the selfies; here are before and after shots:

image.png.421079c9bf733bfab659a1a10be0fd03.pngimage.png.fde8aeb6e42cdef7d10a68d90c799583.png

Got in a bit of a sewing mood, too, and made another 3 covid masks - the topstitching along the nose seam makes a huge difference in comfort, so I now have 6 of those. While I had the machine out, I cut out a mock-up of a headsock for the gentleman. Took some tweaking, but I think we have a good base to work from. Cut out the face, now need to figure out how to stabilize the edges and attach the wig and the mask. 

image.png.705f5cfa84c057f9796b9922fb01ba80.png image.png.55187d0952e6e821c21f9e9ef9ac4f93.png image.png.4f8e190e69a2248a83cb6ac10c73159a.png

It took a definite turn for the chillier this week, and I realized that I still haven't solved the pants issue, so I might have to ONCE AGAIN focus on that.... it'll be a distraction from "I want to start working on Valkyrie!" at least. Thankfully, I'd already taken apart an old pair of jeans, so I can start with that as a pattern. Equally thankfully, I have sufficient cold-weather workout stuff, so I've been able to keep going outside on long walks, in the dark, where no one can see me moving my arms like wings, trying to figure out the schematic for that. :) Went on a bit of a cleaning spree as well, got the comics sorted, and cleaned out/ put away all my hobby stuff. Finished off two spools of colorful thread that I had no matching fabric for - the contrast thread on covid masks looks, I think, quite nice. I'm quite exited for the fall weather, and the equinox that is TOMORROW!!! Not gonna do anything huge for it, but there will be a trimming of the rosemary bush to get the house smelling nice after being aired out now that it's not roasting hot. Makes for a lovely change, imo. 

• Like 7

SO PRODUCTIVE.

Love the haircut -- and the experience sounds delightful!

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

This week I learned that when you break a nail - particularly a toenail - well below the quick, the flesh below it doesn't actually stay where it's supposed to and let the nail grow back. Instead, like many other stupid body errors, it tries to expand into freedom, and the nail starts to grow INTO it. Tuesday's cardio was neither particularly fast nor long, but I did my best, then learned more about foot and nail care. 

In line with 2020, however, walking weirdly for a day threw my back out of whack, so last night's weight lifting was reduced a bit, too. Got me to thinking about the whole "lifting to get bigger/ stronger vs lifting forever to maintain health until I die" thing. I've been mostly focused on the first since I started lifting three years ago, and get super annoyed when I have to dial it back due to injury, or change it up after x weeks of the same things - usually right when I'm seeing progress. On the one hand, it's sort of depressing that it will be a  neverending task; just keep doing it until you are physically unable to do so, never have an end/ point of succeeding. On the other hand, I can still do things at 40 that other people my age physically can't, and I'd like to me able to say that at 60, 80, and 100+, too. So I guess I'll add this to my list of things I need to be patient and calm about. 

• Like 3

Congrats on finishing the cosplay! looks rad. Your hair too. Lioness! :) 

Glad to hear how much joy your Thor cos gives you. Sucks to hear about your joyous, fun, thriller experience. Can relate to being a lot better in sprints. Our gym program always favored the stuff I was not good at. You did not get any mark for sprints, did for cardio (with beeps).  The people that liked indoor hockey always get to pick what they like, I favored basketball. 

Story time:

Spoiler

Soccer... Sure, I really liked that too but still usually indoor hockey. I liked to make fun of them not being "real hockey" (on ice), without overdoing it of course, because I was too sweet back then,

like the American football people tease the British rugby people. (Although honestly I've never truly cared if someone disagrees with me, I just like to tease people who get really riled up about sports, every since I was little I liked to find out which soccer team was most hated and say I was a big fan :D Although I only every watched the Euro and World championships.)

AAAANYWAY, 

Following, to support for patience as well. :) I like(d) to brag about being a champion at waiting in line for groceries or traffic, using that time to meditate or enjoy music. As the years have gone by I learnt to have more of a sense of urgency, because some people have gotten so used to dealing with impatient customers that they relax a little too much around me :D The stimulus they need to do their work is too high?

And also, I realised sometimes my "patience" is dangerous, e.g. taking my time while crossing a busy street with a short green pedestrian light :D

Level ☆ human [uncategorizable]
STR 2 | DEX 3 | CON 2 | STA 3 | WIS 5 | CHA 5
Current challenge: Athena focuses on the physical | 
Battle log

Friday off! Since the pandemic thing means no traveling, I decided back in July to just take every other Friday off to burn vacation. For the most part, those Fridays have been catching up on around-the-house stuff and doing appointments at places that are only open during work hours. Today is the first off day that I did not have an appointment, and things are mostly caught up. Woke up late (for me - around 9ish), and decided to weed the backyard before it got out of hand. One thing led to another, and I got the back yard weeded and completely edged and swept, including the rain gutter and all the spots the lawn had overgrown the parking pad by several inches. I also got the front walk edged and swept, and started in on the sidewalk in front of the house before the battery died. It may that I'm a boring adult now, but it looks NICE out there, and next time will be more quick cleanup and less heavy work. I might actually get both yards looking good before winter hits, oooooooooh! :)

I had to go in to work this week for REALLY stupid reasons, but I was able to snag two 30" printing paper tubes(we do large-scale plans at work), and I have some random lengths of 2x4 left over from a previous project, so I'm going to make a trick-or-treat delivery slide so we can safely and responsibly "hand" out candy this Halloween. I don't know how other people will be handling it, but I want to be ready, just in case, and it's a random silly project that makes me happy. Win-win.

In other news, the gentleman sent me a partially-done sketch by one of his favorite authors that is a freaking incredible version of Valkyrie.... and news that he's been contracted to do an anniversary short story of the character. Don't get me wrong, I love the existing character for many reasons, and visually, her outfit is good for a comic, but for cosplay it's a little... simplistic? There's very little detail or design to draw the eye if you're not, well, superhero-shaped.

03.jpg

Black boots, black leggings, black top, greaves with wraps, one bracer, a half-skirt, scalemail front, shoulders, headpiece, and wings. Lots of stuff to make, but all pretty simplistic and undetailed. If I didn't do the wings, I'd say I could probably get it done in a dedicated 4-5 months (that's it, Manarelle, spout hubris, see how the world reacts to that). The one the gentleman sent me, even only partially finished, has much more detail and texture to it, and I am heavily intrigued. I'm not saying characters should go all out and detail every single piece, like some people did with Lady Thor (cough, cough), but I've really come to believe that the little details in an outfit are what sells it. It's the difference between having a plain breastplate and a little bit of decoration added in places: one looks much more interesting and lived-in than the other. 

image.png.7c4ba1ec2c593991e69d7d2a8c85d9d9.png  vs  image.png.4f17c2826c0acae28048c8504d7d54aa.png

So anyway, I had the gentleman ask if the artist minded me using his version, and he was incredibly flattered and said not at all. Since that pretty much throws all of my current design sketches out the window, I'm just going to focus on making the wings to start with. By the time those are at a decent place, I should have enough of the new work - either through the released book or teaser sketches - to redo the design and start building out around the wings. 

• Like 6

On 9/7/2020 at 9:26 AM, Manarelle said:

I'm trying to ease into this boredom a bit.

Your boredom has been unbelievably productive. And that Halloween treat slide idea is genius.

• Thanks 1

Challenge:   0   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33