• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Manarelle

Manarelle is boring af... or learning patience

On 9/24/2020 at 8:31 PM, Manarelle said:

This week I learned that when you break a nail - particularly a toenail - well below the quick, the flesh below it doesn't actually stay where it's supposed to and let the nail grow back. Instead, like many other stupid body errors, it tries to expand into freedom, and the nail starts to grow INTO it.

I have unfortunately been forced to learn this lesson multiple times :( 

On 9/26/2020 at 1:53 AM, Manarelle said:

So anyway, I had the gentleman ask if the artist minded me using his version, and he was incredibly flattered and said not at all. Since that pretty much throws all of my current design sketches out the window, I'm just going to focus on making the wings to start with. By the time those are at a decent place, I should have enough of the new work - either through the released book or teaser sketches - to redo the design and start building out around the wings.

[Checks watch] Yep, new project starting up right on schedule :P 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

[Checks watch] Yep, new project starting up right on schedule :P 

SNORT. It's like you guys know me or something.... But technically, I do still have 3 days left of the month, so I can't start just yet. :D

• Like 2

Ok, ok, I'll admit, I've started the design phase... no spending money til this weekend tho. I was playing around with some layouts for the final extension; here are the options on how the wings will end up when "fully extended." I'm generally leaning toward the middle right one, which I then detailed a bit more on the whiteboard. 

image.png.dd0a08770bd9609512effb774fd3ab85.png  image.png.3df081c9b7f5d9472965b88e982f81f9.png

The top two and bottom left would be hard to make with the ceilings here, and I'm concerned that the middle left - while anatomically more likely - would get lost behind people wanting to get pictures. The middle right is sort of a compromise between height and width, and would still be obvious in pictures. It's a pretty relaxed pose, for wings, but I suspect that would not really come across in action poses. 

So next step.... drawing it out full sized. This is why I like keeping walls and floor space free: I put paper up on the wall and will play around with angles and sizes for a bit. Might need to make it a bit longer tho...

image.thumb.png.dc4e5b54008724910295aba8371ec561.png

Let the shenanigans begin. 

• Like 4
  • That's Metal 3

Ok, buckle up, this is gonna be a long one. First off,

Week 3:

• Exercise: Yes. 
  • Language: No, but it was planned. 
  • Learning: Yes. 
  • "Other"
    • Keep going on CurlyGirl hair stuff: Yes.
    • Corral and store Thor/ Taboo cosplays: Done.
    • Catalog and store comics: Done. 
    • At least work on the Backlash headsock: No - the gentleman is working on a project and has cluttered my work area. His choice. 
    • Make 3 more (covid) masks for me: Done, and made 3 more even. 
    • Get 3 chapters of LO laid out for print: Got about 3/4 through a really long chapter. 

This week was a bit off, 'cause I mis-scheduled a doctor's appointment for Friday, which was not an every-other-Friday-off, so I had to short lunches throughout the week to make up the time. That means that French language practice didn't happen. I also decided that Tuesday/ Thursday for Russian isn't working out, because I feel like I have an entire evening to do it in so I piddle time away online and then try to cram it in real fast before cardio. I'd made the decision to switch that to M/W/F after weightlifting, then my tutor said she got a full-time job and wouldn't be able to continue our Thursday night sessions. I'm still debating whether or not to find another tutor to practice speaking with, but that makes the M/W/F decision even better. I now have Tuesdays and Thursdays to pursue whatever other project I'm working on for a decent stretch of time. 

Speaking of which.... I pretty much ignored the wings most of the week and busted out a lot of minor clean-up projects including switching out wardrobes because we are definitely (for now) in fall. The average daily temp this week was in the high 60s, which is perfect by me, and evenings are delightfully chilly. I actually got to curl up with a lap blanket last night and read, one of my favorite things to do. 

One of the things that's been on my mind since I started weightlifting was whether I look my weight or not - it's one thing to say the scale doesn't matter, and another to truly internalize it when your colleagues complain about being overweight at a couple score of pounds less than you. There aren't really many people who have experience judging people's weights (at least not that you can trust to be honest), so I've just carried that niggling doubt with me that I'm hulkishly large (born when I went from 5'1" to 5'9" in one school year). When I went to the doc's on Friday, however, they still have one of those balance arm scales. The nurse who weighed me set the 50lb slider to WAY less than my weight, and started tapping the 1-lb slider carefully, like it was just about to balance out. I laughed and said she needed to slide that all the way to the other side, and would likely have to move the 50lb weight. I mentioned it to my gentleman afterwards and he said "Well that makes sense. You're smaller now than when we met because you work out so much, except your arms" which made me laugh because I am 30lbs more than the skinny fat I was when we met, although my measurements aren't much larger. I'm still wrestling a little with the dregs of that self-doubt, but those two events helped considerably. That said, I would be interested to hear guesses as to my weight based on the below pictures and knowing I'm 5'9". I will be not at all offended at high or low guesses - I'm just curious.

So! The best part! I'd done a quick sketch of the wings last weekend that didn't show up on camera too well, but I didn't like the angle, and wasn't in the mood to erase it all and redraw at the time. Since I got (almost) all of my cleaning and sorting tasks done over the week, and my crafting area downstairs is still cluttered with what the gentleman is working on, I decided to work on them this morning. It took about 2 hours (I don't track sketching time, only crafting), and I had to resharpen my pencils twice, but I'm much happier with the angles and shape now. 

Vl57cEC.jpg

RIilmKr.jpg rKeziZW.jpg

I'm very sure that I'll make more feathers than drawn there, and tweak the shape of each feather, but I like the overall size and shape. I used owl wings as inspiration since Valkyrie mostly uses the wings for agility/ dogfighting rather than soaring or diving (more tapered wing shapes). There's an added bonus that elliptical - thicker/ shorter - wings have longer primaries and smaller layers, so it should (I hope) be easier to keep them lightweight without tons of narrow primaries and overlapping secondaries. I might, by the way, have done a LOT of research on wings and feathers so sorry if I throw out unusual terminology. Anyway, with that done, I can do the final cleaning bit: vacuuming the house. I knew I'd create a lot of eraser shreds in drawing that, and I was right. Next step.... hm. Probably hit up the hardware store for materials to make a mockup to get the "bones" right. I'd like to get the gentleman's mask done first, though. We shall see. Anyway. Step 1 done. Woot!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Manarelle said:

I used owl wings as inspiration since Valkyrie mostly uses the wings for agility/ dogfighting rather than soaring or diving (more tapered wing shapes). There's an added bonus that elliptical - thicker/ shorter - wings have longer primaries and smaller layers, so it should (I hope) be easier to keep them lightweight without tons of narrow primaries and overlapping secondaries. I might, by the way, have done a LOT of research on wings and feathers so sorry if I throw out unusual terminology.

I love rabbit holes like this.  I still have research papers saved on monkey tail vertebra shape compared to length and use, plus detailed pictures of skeletons, plus papers on turning fishing line into artificial muscle, plus material specs on 3d printed resins.  All for a project I'll eventually get back to. :P

My only possible criticism for the wings is, from an aerodynamics perspective, you need a 12+ ft wingspan to lift a human.  That's completely unrealistic for a costume you plan to actually move around in (as opposed to find a place and hang out all day), so take it with a grain of salt.  My charizard wings are ~10ft wingspan, but are optimized to look good when half-folded.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Anim07734 said:

I love rabbit holes like this.  I still have research papers saved on monkey tail vertebra shape compared to length and use, plus detailed pictures of skeletons, plus papers on turning fishing line into artificial muscle, plus material specs on 3d printed resins.  All for a project I'll eventually get back to. :P

My only possible criticism for the wings is, from an aerodynamics perspective, you need a 12+ ft wingspan to lift a human.  That's completely unrealistic for a costume you plan to actually move around in (as opposed to find a place and hang out all day), so take it with a grain of salt.  My charizard wings are ~10ft wingspan, but are optimized to look good when half-folded.

Haha, dear god yes to the research papers on random topics. Pinterest has no clue what I'm actually after, but the suggestions it comes up with are hilarious. 

Yeah... I hear you on the aerodynamics... buuuuuuuuut eff that noise. The Taboo tail irritated me enough by bumping into my legs as I walked until I figured out a good angle for it. If (and that's a huge if) I can get the wings to fold properly and get the ends close in to the body, there is no way I can have them anywhere near my legs. As drawn, these should fold in with the ends right about at the butt, and hopefully will give off a half-extended, relaxed vibe when open. My excuse is that they're magic wings, alright? Made by a freaking magic Asgardian all-weapon, so bugger off with your earthly physics nonsense. :) Also, first attempt, and it's gonna suck, so I'll suck at 4' wingspan, not 12'. 

Huh, also, I'm curious.... that 12' wingspan thing.... is that for tapered soaring wings, or the shorter elliptical ones? 'Cause I can say with 100% authority that there's a huge variation in bird wing lengths - there'd have to be a much bigger variation for human weight. 

• That's Metal 1

7 hours ago, Manarelle said:

Yeah... I hear you on the aerodynamics... buuuuuuuuut eff that noise. The Taboo tail irritated me enough by bumping into my legs as I walked until I figured out a good angle for it. If (and that's a huge if) I can get the wings to fold properly and get the ends close in to the body, there is no way I can have them anywhere near my legs. As drawn, these should fold in with the ends right about at the butt, and hopefully will give off a half-extended, relaxed vibe when open. My excuse is that they're magic wings, alright? Made by a freaking magic Asgardian all-weapon, so bugger off with your earthly physics nonsense. :) Also, first attempt, and it's gonna suck, so I'll suck at 4' wingspan, not 12'. 

Huh, also, I'm curious.... that 12' wingspan thing.... is that for tapered soaring wings, or the shorter elliptical ones? 'Cause I can say with 100% authority that there's a huge variation in bird wing lengths - there'd have to be a much bigger variation for human weight. 

That is a totally valid position, and I fully support it.  Just wanted to point out the aerodynamics consideration before you got too far into your planning.  Also, wingspan is measured from tip to tip, so your current drawing looks to be 7 or 8ft.

I'd have to redo my research, since I'm working from memory, but I'm fairly confident my estimates are for tapered soaring wings.  Those are closest to airplane/glider wings, and thus best understood from an engineering perspective.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Anim07734 said:

That is a totally valid position, and I fully support it.  Just wanted to point out the aerodynamics consideration before you got too far into your planning.  Also, wingspan is measured from tip to tip, so your current drawing looks to be 7 or 8ft.

That bit, I did not know, thank you. I've seen some cosplay wings that are probably better than 12' wingspan and they just looked crazy heavy and awkward. 

8 hours ago, Anim07734 said:

I'd have to redo my research, since I'm working from memory, but I'm fairly confident my estimates are for tapered soaring wings.  Those are closest to airplane/glider wings, and thus best understood from an engineering perspective.

wingtypes.png

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

Well, after a pretty solid weekend, yesterday was a dud. About 30 minutes after finishing my walk on Sunday, one of my toes started hurting. I'd broken the nail beneath the quick about 2 months ago, and I thought it was just the nail growing into the skin again. I slept kinda crappily, soaked in three times during the day, iced it, tried topical lidocaine, and kept it elevated, and it still was just ridiculously painful - the the point that when I accidentally bumped it against the wall, I had to mute my mic and scream a lot. Went to the walk-in clinic, and they said there's an infection that is common to ingrown toenails, but it doesn't look serious enough that we have to cut it (yet). Here's an antibiotic and hella ibuprofen, call if it's not better in 48 hours. Had to take more ibuprophen in the middle of the night, and it's not doing significantly better this morning when I took the second dose, but we'll see. 

More importantly, though.... I don't really see a way to work out. Walking/ cardio is RIGHT out for now, and since most weightlifting requires a solid base to lift FROM, that becomes sort of difficult. I suppose I can still do some core work and seated upper body stuff, but still, whine. The clinic took long enough yesterday that I couldn't get anything in before bedtime, so I'm feeling sort of blobbish today. On the upside, I also didn't have time to do my normal curly hair routine, so I washed it and threw some medium hold gel in right before bed and it looks almost exactly the same this morning (just more frizzy), so I'd say my hair is finding/ has found its form. Yay.  

• Sad 6

19 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Heal fast.

Thanks. I could tell exactly when it was time to take the antibiotics last night 'cause my toe started stabbing pains again. This morning when it was time, there was more of a small throb. It still LOOKS horrible, but I can walk almost completely normally again and I slept pretty well, so I think I'm progressing well along the "heal fast" road. 

Wasn't quite up to putting solid weight on it last night, but I found out that stairs didn't bother it too much. Did 5 sets of 5 down-and-back-up stair climbs followed by 5 knee pushups. Nothing like a regular workout, but I do feel less blobbish today. 

Also got some significant work done on the gentleman's cosplay hood last night. I think I intelletually knw how weird making cosplay was, but having to have another body standing by so you can fit odd things to it; scrap that and try other ideas; mark things; cut them out of different materials; re-mark them because now they sit differently; heat, cool, and reform worbla; put it on again and then draw on yourself with sharpie so you get the right fit; etc etc etc..... it just feels weird. It's one thing to do all those strange things to myself, but another to ask someone else to be patient while I fumble my way through the creative process, especially since his eyes are super sensitive and he has to wear his sunglasses all the time, so every new try-on involved just closing his eyes and trusting me. We didn't get it all finished last night, but hopefully one more session to get the mockup solidified, then a test of the final piece will do it (I'm sure there'll be more than that, but I can hope). 

• Like 6

Ouch, that sounds... not so nice. Glad it is at least feeling a bit better, hope it gets well soon!

I love all the wing-nerding, that was an interesting read. Thank you. :D 

• Thanks 1

I've been there on the toenail thing at it is insanely distracting.  I'm glad it is feeling better now and hopefully we be all cleared up and back to normal soon.

• Thanks 1

It has been... A WEEK. Easy updates: the toe is no longer infected and I took a short walk last night and did fine, so yay. The cosplay hood is coming along well, though there's still plenty of work to do. I did some work on how to make the wings move, but no physical creation work and that's ok.

Goals: 

• Language: Yes.
  • Learning: Mostly. 
  • "Other"
    • At least work on the Backlash headsock: Yes. 
    • Make 3 more (covid) masks for me: Done, and made 3 more even. 
    • Get 3 chapters of LO laid out for print: No, but that's ok, too.

Stupid family drama: 

Spoiler

To make an insanely long story short, the gentleman took over his father's house when his father died because he was the only one in the family financially solvent enough to do so. His autistic half-sister couldn't deal with moving, and the gentleman didn't want to live there, so he let family stay there to keep an eye on her and (ostensibly) pay the mortgage off. For 20 years, the family has fought him every month to pay $1200 for up to 8 people living in a 5 bedroom house where the median rent is $2k/ month and insisted he pay for things they break. There's way more drama, but that covers the basics. Over the years, they'd paid a little over the mortgage, so the gentleman had put it in a savings account to cover lean times. They've now burned through that and insist that he needs to pay what they "can't" from here on. Mind you, none of them are affected by covid, and several of them have gotten multi-hundred-thousand-dollar insurance "payouts" (I have opinions that they're scams, but not my business) over the years - the money just dribbles away on stupid things. 

The insistence that my gentleman pay their rent was the last straw in a long line of last straws. He asked me to look at options to sell the house (similar to stuff I do at work); I mentioned the saga to a coworker, who got me in touch with his real estate agent, who happens to flip houses and had an investor interested within 24 hours - no fixing up or listing or anything we need to do to sell as is and get enough to cover the mortgage and closing costs. The gentleman doesn't even care about a profit, just wants done with the stress. Thankfully, when I met my gentleman, I convinced him to at least make the family sign month-to-month leases to make it legal instead of a word-of-mouth arrangement, so it's technically a termination of lease - not an eviction - and fully legal during the pandemic. Everything is falling perfectly into place (knock on so much wood), and while they're being absolute jerks about it to the gentleman (finally realizing they've coasted on his hard work for 20+ years), hopefully they won't do anything stupid like trash the place or refuse to leave. 

The gentleman has power of attorney for the half-sister, so we're looking for a place for her to stay on her income. I applied for housing assistance for her, but that could take years to come through. In the meantime, I think I've found a couple solid options for her to stay, and she's actually eager to move out now, because even she is aware of and sick of the drama from the others. It's not been hassle-free, but things are going so much better than they could have gone, and I am crossing everything I have that by this time next month, the gentleman will have SO MUCH LESS stress - possibly even to the point of several mysterious, minor ailments clearing up. I've hesitated to push him in the past because it's his house, his family, his business, but I will do everything (legal) in my power to help him get rid of this now that he's made that decision. 

On top of dealing with all of that nonsense, my brain decided this past week would be a great time to randomly get depressed, even though I finally started doing the SAD lamp regularly. Not being able to work out probably contributed, and cold, rainy days probably also didn't help, but after we got all our adulting done on Saturday, I basically laid on my bed and stared at the wall for the rest of the day, letting my brain hit the bottom and then start to sort things out. Yesterday was much better, and I got some work done on the gentleman's hood as well as some research on how to make the wings move (which needs to be integrated into their building process). So overall, last week was pretty solidly no thank you, but this week is off to a better start. Here's hoping. 

• Like 6
  • That's Metal 1

That drama sound exhausting. And it took place over such a long time as well! Fingers crossed that it will be over soon. 

And yay that your toe feels better. The simple act of walking can be SUCH a treat. :D 

• Like 1

Wow, it will really be nice to get that drama out of the way.  I suspect that they will probably find new ways to introduce new drama to replace it, but it sounds like you guys are handling it responsibly

• Like 1

Ooof, yeah. That is so much for him (and you!) to have been dealing with for so many years. Fingers crossed there is a book-end on this particular saga soon. 

• Like 1

Dang, that week went by. So did the whole challenge. 

• Language: Yes.
  • Learning: Overall, maybe 60%
  • "Other"
    • At least work on the Backlash headsock: Yes. 
    • Make 3 more (covid) masks for me: Done, and made 3 more even. 
    • Get 3 chapters of LO laid out for print: Not quite. 

The family drama has improved in that 1) they are no longer talking to him (I never really had much interaction), and 2) it looks like they are taking him seriously and starting packing. His mom said something about they might have someone interested in buying it (so they can keep living there). The gentleman just said give me their numbers and I'll forward to the real estate agent if the investor backs out. No numbers have yet been forthcoming, so we go back to ignoring each other, yay. The investor and his handyman did a walkthrough on Wednesday, and seemed fairly competent and decent, so we're just waiting for the numbers to come back now. I am somewhat frustrated because I've put out several voicemails and emails to ads for housing and have gotten literally zero responses. If it weren't for work calling me, I'd wonder if my phone were busted. Annoying.

This week has not been super great. The pandemic is starting to get to... no, that's not even it. The pandemic is annoying, but the season change is getting to me, even with the SAD lamp in the morning. It is pitch black when I got for my walks in the "evening," and it's been overcast and/or rainy many days of this week. I'm not even really sure what to do about it that I'm not already doing. I'm hoping that after Nov 4th, at least some of the horribleness that has pervaded daily life recently will go away. If I get one more pop-up or flier telling me to vote when I already have, I may just scream. To add to it, my parents continue to deny the pandemic and pressure me to visit, and the gentleman is facing new health issues, so there's not a whole lot of sunshine literally or figuratively right now. I'll get through, but these ain't fun days. 

On the upside, Friday was my birthday, so I got some book I'd had my eye on for a while and treated myself to sushi and a bonus pack in the game I'm playing now. I also finally found a "basics of" servos and different ways to use them (link if anyone's super bored and for my own reference), and have done some research on carbon fiber tubing for the wings. I think what I have in mind will work, but it's gonna be a mildly not-cheap mock-up to find out yea or nay. Oh well, what the heck else am I doing with myself and my money, eh? Here's to a lot of things clearing up before the end of the year. 

• Like 4

Well, since the new challenge isn't up yet (odd, but whatever), I'm going to be excited here. I have a plan for the wings, and ordered stuff to start mockups today. Also got an idea for the gentleman's mask/ hood, so this week might actually be productive.

• Like 4

Hey it’s been a while since I visited (yay on upcoming release from family drama!) but wanted to wish you a belated happy birthday. 

also you posed the weight question, i didn’t see any response.. I’m actually fairly good at guessing weight, would you like me to? Or well I actually already did, I guess I’m asking if you want me to put it here or leave it or put it in a pm or something. 

• Like 1

On 10/17/2020 at 6:52 PM, Manarelle said:

The family drama has improved in that 1) they are no longer talking to him (I never really had much interaction), and 2) it looks like they are taking him seriously and starting packing. 

That's good at least.

On 10/17/2020 at 6:52 PM, Manarelle said:

On the upside, Friday was my birthday, so I got some book I'd had my eye on for a while and treated myself to sushi and a bonus pack in the game I'm playing now.

Happy belated! That sounds like a nice way to celebrate.

23 hours ago, Manarelle said:

Well, since the new challenge isn't up yet (odd, but whatever), I'm going to be excited here. I have a plan for the wings, and ordered stuff to start mockups today. Also got an idea for the gentleman's mask/ hood, so this week might actually be productive.

WOOOO!

• Like 1