team members:

sandman

capn_tommy_sunshine

prefect42

Kallo101

spacecoyote

Oogiem

about rangers:

Rangers are a hybrid of Warriors and Scouts, built for strength AND endurance. A jack-of-all-trades but master of none, Rangers are well-equipped for any situation. Their weight training revolves around varying the reps, sets, and downtime to continually force those body to adapt to new situations. Usually Rangers follow a Paleo Diet, eating things that can only be found in nature. Thanks to this type of training and diet, Rangers have incredibly low body-fat percentages.

Primary attributes: Functional strength, adaptability.

Training: Lots of weight training but with minimal downtime (think crossfit and 300 training).

Real Life example: Gerard Butler in 300.

Oh sweet! First! lol..

Intros...

I'm Sandman, also answer to my RL name of Jason.

At the start of the challenge I was either 217 (home scale) or 215 (wii fit), depending on which scale you asked. Despite being overweight, I'm a fairly active guy - more active than my 'fit' friends even. I mountain bike (singletrack and DH), snowboard, swim (not well) and dabble occasionally in wall climbing.

Where I come from? Well, where do you want me to start, lol!! Basically, I was active in my early childhood, discovered nintendo and promptly gave up any activities that didn't involve mario or link. This is where I... "blossomed" lol, and remained that way till my mid twenties when I met my wife. She happened to have active friends that got me re-connected with mtn biking, as well as introduced me to snowboarding and basically just got me moving again!

Where I plan on going...

I would love to get myself down to a well built 180 with a low double digit or high single digit bodyfat %. One of my long term dreams once I'm fit is to get my personal trainer certification and help other folks in a similar position as I was in. I'm an IT guy in RL, so lots of sitting, not a lot of activity beyond pushing a mouse around, etc. and I'd love to help other people achieve their own successes.

Strengths/Weaknesses

Some of these can be gleaned by looking at my 'abilities' on my personal challenge thread, but to expand a bit -

Strengths - I put on muscle relatively easily, retain it fairly well. From years of cycling I have a very good cardio capacity and a pretty good endurance level. I can punish my body at the gym or at play and I'm generally pretty quick to recover. I know a fair bit about fitness in general and could probably teach a class or two (my problem is applying it to myself... you know the phrase, "do as I say, not as I do")

Weaknesses - I put on fat as easily as muscle, and retain it VERY well lol. My lower body is way stronger than the upper body, so thats a big focus for myself is to even out the strength ratios. I tend to cave to peer pressure quite a bit when it comes to eating out and such, so thats another big step for me to take. Saying no, or at the very least picking healthier choices off the menu if I do go out. Pop used to also be my kryptonite, but I cut that out last challenge and have so far been pepsi free for 5 weeks.

What do I bring to the table?

I'm a very "cup is half full" person, so expect alot of 'atta boys/girls' from me. I've done ALOT of reading/research around the world of diet and exercise so if there's something I see that I could offer some ideas on, I will. Plus i'm pretty good with a bowstaff. (not really)

I'm already on track to do better this challenge than last month so while we're all on the same team - y'all can quit now - I'm goin' in for the win.. ;)

Looking forward to meeting the rest of my teammates!

Oh, and some team name suggestions.... I'll sleep on it and see if I come up with anything!

OogieM female retired ex multimedia developer now full time farmer hitting all sorts of age related health issues including weight gains and loss of flexibility. Bad family history for debilitating old age issues.

Goals back to a more reasonable weight for my height and much more stamina and flexibility

Use this site as a kick in the butt to get me off the computer and doing more than just required animal/farm chores. Going to look for ways to use my normal work to incorporate stretching exercises.

Strengths access to good healthy food and time to cook. We raise all of our own meat or hunt it so have a plethora of grass finished sheep and lots of chickens in the freezer. We have our own laying hens so I have lots of good eggs from true free ranged hens. No deer tags this year so no hunting but I can get good locally raised vegetables for much of the year. Also good beer & wine from local folks. We trade manure for wine and veges. :-) Eat a no or as little GMO diet and as much organic or near organic (locally raised but not certified) as I can manage. I tend to eat very seasonally and very much a locavore diet. So for now not much in the way of fruits until next summer. I do have some tomatoes frozen but it's mostly going to be root veges and salad from the neighbor's greenhouses until next spring.

Weaknesses age related hormone issues, allergies/asthma, no places to go to work out with other people, almost no history of any physical exercise other than normal farm work

I can bring the newbie's enthusiasm and info on cooking locally and seasonally.

Hey everybody, glad to be part of the team! I guess to answer the basic intro questions...

...where I came from:

I'm 25 years old, 5'8" and around 140 lbs. I've always been a lightweight (except for a brief stint of unwanted weight gain freshman year of college) and was relatively active as a kid although I never really found any sports that I loved. I started reading Nerd Fitness and joined the boards because I started feeling much older than my age and wanted some ideas on how to become more active and feel better.

...where I plan on going

I want to try and put on a little weight while I get stronger - not a whole lot, maybe 5-10 lbs and in no certain time period. Basically I just don't want to get smaller than I am now.

...how I intend to get there:

Mostly I want to focus on functional strength like bodyweight exercises and want to mix in some more low impact exercises to work on balance, coordination and a laundry list of other things. I've been doing bodyweight circuits mostly with some measure of success so I plan on amping that up and really pushing myself. Doing tai chi has been helping with the balance and coordination, plus it gives me a little bit of a meditative focus so I'll be doing that a bunch too.

...strengths?

Hmmm, tricky question. I've always had decent upper-body strength and used to be the pull-up champ in elementary school. :) I enjoy cooking and gardening a lot, but I'm a relative novice at both. I was a wrestler in high school, so I know a lot of awesome ways NOT to do diet and exercise, from an overall health standpoint that is.

...weaknesses?

I don't take well to the in-your-face motivation style - I usually end up ignoring it - but I'm all about helpful advice though, just not when it's crammed down my throat. I tend to keep to myself, so if I've been silent too long call me out on it!

...what I bring to the table

Mostly an open mind. I'm always on the lookout for new or better ways of doing something, so I'd be all ears if you've got something to share.

Just a suggestion, but posting our individual challenge threads here would keep it easier to follow everyone's progress. Here's mine: http://www.nerdfitness.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=1169

Rejoice, hamsters and swords for everyone! Butt Kicking for Goodness!

Just a bit of an intro. I am 39, and decided to do something about my ever increasing weight late last year. I officially started doing something about it on January 3 of this year. I weighed in that day at 295. I am now down to 217!!, and feel better than I have in years. My goal is to look like a superhero by my 40th birthday next summer.

For my workouts, I have been swinging heavy clubs three times a week, and started yoga as an active recovery on alternating days last challenge. I am trying to get stronger and leaner (and succeeding, so far). As part of this challenge, I am also going to be playing guitar as often as possible to improve my bard skills. I have been eating Paleo since April (I still do dairy, as I have no issues digesting it, but I don't eat too much (some cheese occasionally)). I also like parentheses.

Rejoice, hamsters and swords for everyone! Butt Kicking for Goodness

Wow...haven't thought of Minsc in a long time. :mrgreen:

I'm glad someone got the reference. I loved having Minsc in my party. "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, watch it, I'm huge!" "GO FOR THE EYES, BOO!"

updated the initial post to include links to all of your threads - sorry, didn't have time to do it for every team last night :)

Thanks, spezzy! I'm sure we can let it slide this one time...just don't let it happen again. ;)

updated the initial post to include links to all of your threads - sorry, didn't have time to do it for every team last night :)

Thanks, spezzy! I'm sure we can let it slide this one time...just don't let it happen again. ;)

Is it just me, or when we click on the links do you get asked to log in again in order to view them? Could be just some freak setting in my Firefox causing it..

Is it just me, or when we click on the links do you get asked to log in again in order to view them? Could be just some freak setting in my Firefox causing it..

Hmm...yeah. Didn't notice that before because it still loads the page, but it does log me out.

Plus I'd love to have their crazy blue eyes!!!

Hmm, I have blue eyes! (Okay, they're not exactly Dunesque, but still.) I'm totally down with the name.

Also, I just wanted to say hi briefly. I had my entire intro post drafted and I just accidentally closed the window. ARGH. I will re-do it later this weekend or early next week, but didn't want you all to think I'm a no-show. Have a great weekend everyone!

Hmm...yeah. Didn't notice that before because it still loads the page, but it does log me out.

i didn't notice that either, and unfortunately, even after playing around with it for a bit, i cant figure out what its doing! your link logs me out too, so its not just links i post! i swear! ):

Hey team! Sorry it's taken me so long to join the party here. (Love the name reference too!).

Anyways, where I've come from. I'm currently 21, at about 190 lbs. While I was fairly active early in my high school years

(Played on a community hockey team, surprisingly hard to find in nor cal.) I crept up in weight slowly during high school

due to poor diet(Funions and soda much?) and pretty much no exercise. I topped out around 250ish at the end of high school.

And here I am now a little over 190 (With way more muscle mass!) three and a half years later and I am still looking to drop into

the 175-180 range.

I'm currently on an almost full paleo diet, with milk and small amounts of cheese. And I rotate strengths day with intervals, I am at

the gym about 5-6 days a week usually, I honestly enjoy it at this point.

Anyways, that's where I was, where I am and where I am going. So hopefully this is a good challenge with all those tasty holidays

thrown in there. Look forward to kicking ass with you guys.

You're in! The more Fremen the better. Power in numbers!

I don't know who came up with your guys' team name, but Leeroy Jenkins will NEVER get old.. He's even more epic than red-shirt guy..

YAY!

I want to go read about paul and all his spicy adventures right now!

Aywho, whats the deal with this team thing?

Well, at the beginning of the challenge the mods sorted us into teams based on our goals. Our actual team thread has been fairly quiet this time around though - we all are generally just following each others personal threads and communicating that way.

I'm sure none of our other teammates would turn down another member joining Team Fremen. "He will take to the ways of the Fremen as if he were born to them."

How did everyone do? Did you achieve the goals you set out to accomplish?

I updated my challenge thread with a full summary, but in short I didn't completely hit all my goals but I made big strides in each of them. I'm further ahead at the end of this challenge than I was at the beginning and for that I'm very satisfied!

The support I got from teammates and other challengers is enough to keep me motivated on those days when you think you're ready to pack it in.

I didn't get as involved with my team's individual threads as I would have liked this challenge, but then I didn't get as involved with my own thread either. Too close to Christmas and too much going on in RL I guess! Just didn't find the time.

Looking forward to reading your summaries and following you next challenge!

Full summary is in my challenge thread but I did pretty well, although found definite room for improvement in some areas. I echo your sentiments, sandman...don't know what happened to the time but after Thanksgiving I dropped off the boards - completely unintentional. I wasn't a very good team member this challenge and I apologize, but I'll do better to keep up with everyone next challenge.

Sign in to follow this