Jump to content

Harriet’s Year of Metal Track 7: Quenching my Thirst from the Deepest of Wells


Harriet

Recommended Posts

42 minutes ago, Harriet said:

Barbell workouts wipe me out, but I doubt my home dumbbell routine will, so I'll experiment with doing it first. Right now I get sleepy in the day/afternoon regardless of what else I do 😕 

 

I do this one with my adjustable dumbbells and it's pretty brutal.

 

Your cats are beautiful. So confident. :) 

  • Like 1
Link to post
40 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

FLOOOFS!

 

I'm very much looking forward to seeing your long term plan evolve.

 

Which art courses are you looking into?

 

I am so confused. I was thinking of going with a subscription based school. But what should I focus on? Foundational skills and observational drawing? Or design and imagination? I keep changing my mind about whether I need to master the basics or try to stretch myself. Will the ability to do great drawing from imagination be possible if I haven't mastered observational drawing? Or is it only achievable by directly learning design? I don't know!  

Link to post
10 minutes ago, Scaly Freak said:

I do this one with my adjustable dumbbells and it's pretty brutal.

 

Huh. I see they have a quite a few dumbbell workouts to choose from. I'll take a closer look tomorrow. Thanks!

 

10 minutes ago, Scaly Freak said:

Your cats are beautiful. So confident. :) 


They are :) 

Link to post
16 minutes ago, Harriet said:

I am so confused. I was thinking of going with a subscription based school. But what should I focus on? Foundational skills and observational drawing? Or design and imagination? I keep changing my mind about whether I need to master the basics or try to stretch myself. Will the ability to do great drawing from imagination be possible if I haven't mastered observational drawing? Or is it only achievable by directly learning design? I don't know!  

All of it! :) If you want to design and create from imagination you'll for sure need to practice that, those are very different skill than observational drawing. Designing and creating from imagination are also two very distinct skills with different thought processes. But to do those well you'll need the foundation skills. I also don't think it's possible to master the basics without stretching yourself. That's when you learn which basics you need to do more work on. Aaaand it also depends on what you think is fun and motivates you to do the work. But on the flip side, if there's something you don't enjoy doing it could be an indication that that part needs more work. But there's also nothing that stops you from creating art from imagination while actively learning foundational skills at the different stages. 

 

Basically, I've come to the conclusion that it's a messy extremely non-linear process with no right answers. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
10 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

All of it! :) If you want to design and create from imagination you'll for sure need to practice that, those are very different skill than observational drawing. Designing and creating from imagination are also two very distinct skills with different thought processes. But to do those well you'll need the foundation skills. I also don't think it's possible to master the basics without stretching yourself. That's when you learn which basics you need to do more work on. Aaaand it also depends on what you think is fun and motivates you to do the work. But on the flip side, if there's something you don't enjoy doing it could be an indication that that part needs more work. But there's also nothing that stops you from creating art from imagination while actively learning foundational skills at the different stages. 

 

Basically, I've come to the conclusion that it's a messy extremely non-linear process with no right answers. 

 

Yes. I think I am going to go with the New Master's Academy. It does focus on foundational stuff: I'll be doing things like anatomy, figure, portraiture, landscape, etc. They do have a couple of classes on other things like creature design and composition for illustrators (but they say the creature design is for advanced students, and you'll get frustrated if you don't have the basics of human and animal anatomy. I think I've been getting frustrated because my basics are patchy). I think it could be a good approach to focus on drilling the basics, but then do a some free drawing by myself. And I should also look up cool artists whose work I admire, and imitate them to see if I can learn and store some of their techniques or approaches. 

Link to post
8 minutes ago, Harriet said:

(but they say the creature design is for advanced students, and you'll get frustrated if you don't have the basics of human and animal anatomy.

I think it depends on the style in which you want to work in and what kind of creatures you want to make. Having said that, I did have to bail on the creature anatomy course for that reason, there were too many gaps. Though it doesn't prevent me from drawing creatures anyway.

 

5 minutes ago, Harriet said:

And I should also look up cool artists whose work I admire, and imitate them to see if I can learn and store some of their techniques or approaches. 

I've only done a few master studies, but I find them super helpful and should do lots more. For me it's much easier to internalize the concepts this way.

  • Like 1
Link to post
7 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

I think it depends on the style in which you want to work in and what kind of creatures you want to make. Having said that, I did have to bail on the creature anatomy course for that reason, there were too many gaps. Though it doesn't prevent me from drawing creatures anyway.

 

Ah, okay, I wondered if you'd continued with the creature class. Hmm. Seems like anatomy really will be useful. 

 

7 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

I've only done a few master studies, but I find them super helpful and should do lots more. For me it's much easier to internalize the concepts this way.


Master studies sounds so much cooler than 'looking up cool stuff and copying it'. I'll be using that from now on. Thanks :D 

  • Like 1
Link to post

The creature class was really fun, but I found that without a teacher and/or a really solid understanding of anatomy there was no way for me to tell whether my made up skeleton and muscles made sense or not. It was still worthwhile to listen to some lectures, but the homework felt too arbitrary at that point. But it all depends on application. If you draw say a giant fur ball it really doesn't matter. If you're trying to make something for film or a realistically render a very thin skinned muscular creature then you really have to know what you're doing. But yes, I think whatever you end up doing anatomy is useful to study to at least some degree.

 

You're most welcome. :D 

  • Like 1
Link to post

Iron: I ran on the elliptical before breakfast. 

Silver: I did some prep for the blog, and I think I've settled on a platform. 


Zinc: I did my grocery shopping, gonna make a lemon and aubergine risotto tonight. Interestingly, I no longer feel the intense thirst for meat and liver. They're still good, but they're just one of many things I shall enjoy eating. Maybe I have... I don't know, topped up my zinc-o-meter or iron-meter or bloodthirst-o-warriormeter or something.

Cadmium: I set up my room so there's a desk with a big space appropriate for drawing, plus an upright surface to pin paper to. I checked what supplies I already have, and ordered some cheap paper and a basic set of graphite/charcoal drawing things. And there was a half-price subscription for this year for the art place I want. So... I just paid. Just now. I'm Committed for the year.

I got so many things done. I feel like a total adult. 

  • Like 5
  • That's Metal 1
Link to post
On 9/9/2020 at 9:39 AM, Harriet said:


I'm totally confused by all the professional picture-heavy blog layouts. I just want to type up some stufff. I thought it would be super easy to figure this all out but I'm indecisive. 

 

Blogs are very picture heavy now. It's because reading is always competing with TV/soundbites/videobites/gifs that move, etc. However, for what you are doing, your main picture would be the cover of the book you are reviewing so that should be easy enough/suffice. 

 

13 hours ago, Harriet said:

I got so many things done. I feel like a total adult. 

 

I've been feeling like an adult lately too. My house is actually clean and I'm actually wearing clothes. Maybe this is our challenge. :D 

  • Like 1
Link to post
33 minutes ago, Magdalena Ravenclaw said:

You put sugar on onions??? I am intrigued!

 

If you're caramelising them, it can help. Caramelising is a long slow process of breaking down the complex sugars in the onions into simple ones, and then browning them, I think. But some onions are lower in sugar, if I understand it right, so it can help to boost them with a bit of sugar to help the caramel along. 

 

26 minutes ago, Magdalena Ravenclaw said:

Blogs are very picture heavy now. It's because reading is always competing with TV/soundbites/videobites/gifs that move, etc. However, for what you are doing, your main picture would be the cover of the book you are reviewing so that should be easy enough/suffice. 

 

I found a super minimalist place where there's no distracting sidebars and I don't have to make any decisions about style, and I can just insert a picture or some bold text with code. I'm definitely tempted.

 

26 minutes ago, Magdalena Ravenclaw said:

I've been feeling like an adult lately too. My house is actually clean and I'm actually wearing clothes. Maybe this is our challenge. :D 

 

Actual clothes! You're slaying it :D 

  • Like 1
Link to post
4 hours ago, Harriet said:

 

I found a super minimalist place where there's no distracting sidebars and I don't have to make any decisions about style, and I can just insert a picture or some bold text with code. I'm definitely tempted.

Sounds good really.

  • Like 1
Link to post

Today I lifted weights (the cats took turns lying down on the exact spot where I was trying to do my DB flyes), I started my first book for my writing project (and took notes), looked through all the art courses available to me and picked which ones I'm going to do first, and last night I made an aubergine and lemon risotto that was quite nice, though it took an awfully long time to cook. Tonight is a sort of mushroom ragout with poached eggs. Mr Harriet can have some sourdough toast on the side. I shall have the leftover risotto.

  • Like 2
  • That's Metal 1
Link to post
10 hours ago, Magdalena Ravenclaw said:

 

You put sugar on onions??? I am intrigued!

 

9 hours ago, Harriet said:

 

If you're caramelising them, it can help. Caramelising is a long slow process of breaking down the complex sugars in the onions into simple ones, and then browning them, I think. But some onions are lower in sugar, if I understand it right, so it can help to boost them with a bit of sugar to help the caramel along. 

 

Precisely.

  • Like 2
Link to post
1 hour ago, Harriet said:

Today I lifted weights (the cats took turns lying down on the exact spot where I was trying to do my DB flyes), I started my first book for my writing project (and took notes), looked through all the art courses available to me and picked which ones I'm going to do first, and last night I made an aubergine and lemon risotto that was quite nice, though it took an awfully long time to cook. Tonight is a sort of mushroom ragout with poached eggs. Mr Harriet can have some sourdough toast on the side. I shall have the leftover risotto.

 

Doing good, nice job! And the food sounds delicious. :) 

  • Like 1
Link to post
11 hours ago, iatetheyeti said:

Your kitties are So. Fluffy. They're adorable!

 

Also, following along :D

 

 

The photos cannot adequately portray the fluff. SO FLUFFY.
 

1 hour ago, Jupiter said:

 

Doing good, nice job! And the food sounds delicious. :) 

 

Thank you!
 

37 minutes ago, KB Girl said:

So glad you’re doing so much better ❤️ 

If the meat and liver filled you up with something, I vote that you have a steady intake of whatever that might be. 


Maybe I cannot be sated without death. Or maybe it's just low iron. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
17 minutes ago, Harriet said:

Maybe I cannot be sated without death. Or maybe it's just low iron.

Definitely a hunkering for death. Or vitamin A. Or B12. Or who the F knows but if it makes you feel good then I’m all for it. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
8 hours ago, Harriet said:

 

Maybe I cannot be sated without death. Or maybe it's just low iron. 

 

Fun fact: predator animals usually eat the liver and other organs of their kills first often leaving much of muscle tissue "meat" behind that scavenger animals usually get stuck with after the alpha animal is done. 

 

Maybe you are just a apex predator she wolf badass. 

  • Like 1
  • That's Metal 1
Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...