Suave refuses to stay down

FatboySuave

On 9/11/2020 at 3:58 AM, Dusk said:

Hi Suave! I don’t think we’ve met before (or if we have then I forgot 😅 in which case, my apologies!). But, your story sounds a lot like mine - I’ve been a member here for years, I was doing decently well and making healthy choices etc, but then my mental health went down the toilet and I’m in worse shape than ever. But, the only way to fail is to stop trying! I’m glad we both came back here to keep trying. :) 

I don't think we've met before (unless I also forgot, lol). But I'm glad we're all on this journey together! I saw that you changed your NF name. I think I've changed my name like 4 or 5 five times, lol. 

On 9/11/2020 at 5:50 AM, Salinger said:

Seen Eminem 3 times, incredible. I hate his new work, but the first three albums - wow wow wow . ... genius imo. 

His early work was indeed amazing. The last album from Eminem that I liked was Recovery. His latest stuff has been meh. 

On 9/11/2020 at 3:50 PM, Kvedulf said:

Finally found you! You’re a hard man to track down. Good to see you again. That challenge looks good and filled me with nostalgia. You got this and I’m following. 

oh, do you still have the doggos? Give them a pat for me!

I'm so glad we found each other again! I copy/pasted some bits from my old challenges to help me get re-started. I'm looking forward to your challenge (hint hint, hurry up already, lol)! I still have the doggos! Here's us taking a walk last week:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CE9ocXkAZFOjRhN_1-x_iG6iTrghYLyvoP3Dic0/

• Like 3

Current Challenge  
Battle Log

Previous Challenges: 1 — 23456 — 78910111213 — 14 — 1516 — 17181920 — 2122 — 23 — 24 — 25 

Week 0 Recap

Quest 1 - Walks: F

Quest 2 - Energy Drinks: A

Quest 3 - Diet: C 

Week 1 Grade: C

I'm off to a decent start this week. I didn't take the dogs on a walk at all this week. I'm still finding it hard to get up and out of the house. So there's obviously room for improvement there. The energy drink quest is going way better than expected. I had zero drinks this week. I've been drinking about 2 cups of black coffee daily and that's been enough to get me through the day. I had a brief moment of weakness Friday before my second work shift. I stood in front of the fridge at Walgreens for a long time, trying to decide what I wanted to drink. They didn't have any Rockstar (my usual go-to), so I think that helped me make a better decision. I ended up getting a can of Arizona green tea (the diet version with no sugar). And though the grade may not reflect it, I'm feeling good about the meal prep quest too. I've been eating oatmeal for breakfast, which isn't ideal, but it helps to have something quick and easy. I'm really enjoying my prepped meals too. I got some takeout Friday, but I kept the carbs low. And even yesterday I had some takeout delivered and again kept the carbs low. 

Last night I went to a friend's house for drinks. It's the first time I've seen these friends since April or even further back. We sat in their backyard around a chiminea (outdoor fireplace) in chairs that were distanced apart. It was really nice. I've been doing pretty well in social isolation during this pandemic. Gaming has helped keep my brain preoccupied. Speaking of gaming, I just finished Iconoclasts. I would highly recommend it! Great story with heavy subjects and fun gameplay! Very cool boss mechanics. 

The hiring process for work has been getting overwhelming. I can't remember if I mentioned this the other day, but on Wednesday or Thursday I was feeling particularly anxious. I allowed myself to veg out in bed, and that helped. But I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed again. Yesterday started productive. The city does an annual cleanup day for every neighborhood. They go around and pick up everyone's junk for free. So I woke up early and dug up some weeds and chopped down some small trees for the pickup. I managed about two hours of work before the truck came. A homeless guy walked by and helped, so I bought him breakfast and gave him some cash. He said he would come back today to do more, but so far nothing. He was a nice guy, but I kind of suspected he might ghost me, which is fine. But the yard work took a lot out of me. Plus I didn't have any caffeine, so I ended up crashing out hard for several hours. So even though I was productive with yard work, I neglected other tasks, which has lead to me feeling overwhelmed today. I also allowed myself a cheat day yesterday and I had a lot of junk takeout. But I'm not too worried about that.

My goals for the remainder of this day are to go grocery shopping and do meal prep. I also have some work to do. Again, I'm not in the mood to get up and out out, but if I don't, it's really going to set me back for the week. So I'm going to try real hard to be productive. 

• Like 5

Current Challenge  
Battle Log

Previous Challenges: 1 — 23456 — 78910111213 — 14 — 1516 — 17181920 — 2122 — 23 — 24 — 25 

4 hours ago, FatboySuave said:

The hiring process for work has been getting overwhelming. I can't remember if I mentioned this the other day, but on Wednesday or Thursday I was feeling particularly anxious. I allowed myself to veg out in bed, and that helped. But I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed again.

I totally understand the overwhelmed feeling. Hopefully the hiring process will be done soon and you won't have to worry about it anymore. *hugs*

Sounds like you had a good week overall too. Nice job. :) 

• Thanks 1

I got my meal prep done yesterday and I'm trying something slightly different. Usually I buy bags of steamable broccoli, but this time I tried roasting some broccoli and packing it in a container with my chicken and sweet potatoes. So now I just have one thing to microwave, rather than doing them separately, so that saves a bit of time. It also allows me to throw some oil on the broccoli, making it taste much better. I also bought some new containers and a new lunch bag today, which makes me more excited about my food options, lol. 

I weighed myself for the first time in a long time. I'm much heavier than I thought I was. I'm at 275-277 pounds, which is upsetting. But I'm not going to get too hung up on the number. I think that was my downfall previously. I know that seeing proof of weight loss is a motivating factor, so I'm looking forward to seeing the number drop, but I can't allow myself to fixate too much. I talked to an IRL friend recently about getting healthy again. We hiked part of the Grand Canyon years ago. We want to do it again but go down farther. Last time we went 3 miles down and 3 miles up. We want to try to 6 down and 6 up in the spring. We also talked about weighing ourselves routinely, but I suggested we not do it too often. We're going to shoot for every two weeks. 

• Like 5

Current Challenge  
Battle Log

2 hours ago, FatboySuave said:

I also bought some new containers and a new lunch bag today, which makes me more excited about my food options, lol. 

Ha, this is a thing, right?! Hehehe.

Don't get too hung up on where you are because if you do it'll be harder to move past it. But the further you are away from the goal, the more progress you can make! 

• Like 1

I'm more than adequate. Leave Kanye out of this. 

Profile picture credit : NF's resident super artist - NinjaKitten

19 hours ago, FatboySuave said:

I got my meal prep done yesterday and I'm trying something slightly different. Usually I buy bags of steamable broccoli, but this time I tried roasting some broccoli and packing it in a container with my chicken and sweet potatoes. So now I just have one thing to microwave, rather than doing them separately, so that saves a bit of time. It also allows me to throw some oil on the broccoli, making it taste much better. I also bought some new containers and a new lunch bag today, which makes me more excited about my food options, lol. 

Nice, great job! The hiking and weighing every 2 weeks sounds like a good plan. :) 

• Like 1

Awesome to see you got the meal prep handled nicely. It’s always a pain to get right, until you get the flow going. Sounds like you’ve been doing the best you can at the moment. Are there any healthy energy type drinks that you can use instead of the standard ones, that might help kick the habit?

• Like 1

Today is victory over yourself of yesterday; tomorrow is your victory over lesser men.

-Miyamoto Musashi

Current Challenge: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/83906-kvedulfs-second-challenge-first-steps-on-a-new-way/

Nice meal prep! Sounds delicious 😋

Weight can for sure be sooo discouraging, and I have definitely fallen into despair when I focus on that - when I focus on the present, and forget that my current state is not permanent. We are all here to cheer you on and encourage you in those moments!! :) And we’re also here to celebrate your successes with you!

• Like 2

Thanks for the encouragement and support, everyone! 

On 9/15/2020 at 1:16 AM, deftona said:

Don't get too hung up on where you are because if you do it'll be harder to move past it. But the further you are away from the goal, the more progress you can make! 

This is so true. I'm trying really hard not to get hung up on the weight. I'm so damn tempted to weigh myself again already to see if there's any progress yet. But I'm going to try to stay strong and resist the urge until the time is right. 

On 9/15/2020 at 9:07 AM, Salinger said:

but i dont have a microwave!!!??

How do you not have a microwave!?!? I'd be so lost without my microwave. I'm also lucky that my workplace has a microwave in the break room so I can heat up my lunches while I'm still working. 

15 hours ago, Kvedulf said:

Are there any healthy energy type drinks that you can use instead of the standard ones, that might help kick the habit?

I've been drinking black coffee lately, and it's been a great substitute so far. I drink 2 cups every morning, which is enough to get me through the day. Without caffeine I start to crash in the middle of the day and sometimes I end up taking a nap, which throws off my evening sleep schedule. I read your challenge and I also struggle waking up early. Ideally I want to be at work by 6 or 630, but lately I've been getting there around 7. I tried setting my alarm by 10 minutes to ease myself into waking up earlier. So far it hasn't really worked, lol.

5 hours ago, Dusk said:

when I focus on the present, and forget that my current state is not permanent.

My current state is not permanent. I like this. I've never really thought of it like that. 

• Like 3

Current Challenge  
Battle Log

2 minutes ago, FatboySuave said:

How do you not have a microwave!?!? I'd be so lost without my microwave. I'm also lucky that my workplace has a microwave in the break room so I can heat up my lunches while I'm still working. 

HAHA i know.... im thinking of getting one - is it ok on top of a fridge do you recon? xx

• Like 1

I had lunch with a friend yesterday. I tried to be healthy and ordered a salad. It was good, but it was not quite fulfilling. As I watched the waitress deliver delicious looking burgers and tacos to other tables, my craving for carbs was incredibly loud. So I got some chips and salsa. This might be the first time in the past week or two that I've felt such a big craving — my first big test. Part of the problem (I think) was that I was also drinking some beer. The combination of the salad and beer left my stomach feeling not so great — like I needed something more substantial to balance out the beer. 

I still haven't taken the dogs on any walks. I keep convincing myself that I'm "too stressed" or "too tired" to go out, so I allow myself to stay home and play video games. I know I need to re-cultivate discipline and willpower. I haven't yet found whatever spark I need. I'll keep working on it. 

There's a new twist in my hiring dilemma. I had hired a guy just before the pandemic to be our sports editor but he left a couple months ago to take a teaching job. But apparently he was terminated this week. And he saw that I was hiring. So he's interested in coming back. I'm a bit on the fence though. Even though I already hired him previously, he struggled to keep up on the technology end. And that seems to be why he was terminated at his teaching job. So do I want to bring him back and give him another shot? Or do I want to find somebody who might fit the role better? The problem is that's a big question mark because it's so difficult right now to attract someone here for a part time job. So maybe he and I are both the right amount of desperate to reconnect, lol. I don't know, we'll see. 

• Like 4

Current Challenge  
Battle Log

14 minutes ago, Salinger said:

HAHA i know.... im thinking of getting one - is it ok on top of a fridge do you recon? xx

That should probably be ok. I think. I really have no idea, lol. 

• Like 1

Current Challenge  
Battle Log

1 hour ago, Salinger said:

You see - this is the kind of thing i would ask my dad!!!! Fuck sake. :(

Aw, I'm sorry 😞 I Googled the question and there's an article that says it should technically be OK. And now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure every college kid in the States puts a microwave on top of their mini-fridge when they live in the dorms. Here's the article I found, which has some good things to consider: https://smartkitchenimprovement.com/microwave-on-top-of-fridge/

• Like 1
  • That's Metal 1

Current Challenge  
Battle Log

3 minutes ago, FatboySuave said:

Aw, I'm sorry 😞 I Googled the question and there's an article that says it should technically be OK. And now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure every college kid in the States puts a microwave on top of their mini-fridge when they live in the dorms. Here's the article I found, which has some good things to consider: https://smartkitchenimprovement.com/microwave-on-top-of-fridge/

OH Suave

I just shed a little tear, thank you so much for finding out for me. I really appreciate you helping out ❤️ xxx

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Salinger said:

I really appreciate you helping out ❤️ xxx

As a journalist, that's pretty much my entire purpose, helping people find information. We sometimes joke about being Google for seniors (by no means am I calling you old, lol). But I've had people call the newsroom and ask me about the weather or ask about how to contact their congressional representatives, so I'll Google it for them and help out whenever possible. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Current Challenge  
Battle Log

14 minutes ago, FatboySuave said:

As a journalist, that's pretty much my entire purpose, helping people find information. We sometimes joke about being Google for seniors (by no means am I calling you old, lol). But I've had people call the newsroom and ask me about the weather or ask about how to contact their congressional representatives, so I'll Google it for them and help out whenever possible. 

I am 32 on the 30th September aaaaghhhhhh... am I now a senior?? :P

Thanks again FS ❤️ xx

• Like 2
1 hour ago, FatboySuave said:

I still haven't taken the dogs on any walks. I keep convincing myself that I'm "too stressed" or "too tired" to go out, so I allow myself to stay home and play video games. I know I need to re-cultivate discipline and willpower. I haven't yet found whatever spark I need. I'll keep working on it. 

Would it be easier to take them for a walk in the morning before work?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Jupiter said:

Would it be easier to take them for a walk in the morning before work?

Not currently. I try to be at work between 6 and 7 a.m. I pretty much wake up, hit the shower, make my morning coffee/oatmeal and head straight to work. I don't have time in the morning to do anything else. But I would love to figure out how to wake up earlier to walk the dogs in the morning. 

• Like 2

Current Challenge  
Battle Log