Shadowlion Returns From Her Quest via the Plague Zone

ShadowLion

The video from the Berkeley team moved me. That Kmart was on the other side of a six lane freeway. Nobody dreamed that a fire could cross a six lane freeway. The Diablo wind was blowing the embers long distances and the teams couldn't get ahead of it. Tubbs traveled twelve miles in the first three hours.

The cameras are what saved a lot of people and prevented a lot of damage during the Kincade fire. It was also a Diablo wind event.The cameras picked up the fire as soon as it started which gave the fire department extra time. As soon as they knew which way the wind was going to blow they evacuated the area ahead of time and in sections, first Healdsburg north, Healdsburg south, Windsor north, Windsor south (that was me, my second evac). We had a couple of hours to get ready to go and doing it in sections prevented traffic gridlock. They then stationed trucks in almost every driveway to catch burning embers blown by the wind before they could ignite anything. It was all very organized and effective.

They are planning 300 more cameras in the area.

It is so sad that you couldn't save more of your grandpa's things.

• Like 1

This has been a challenging week: I have been trying to be

It's Friday and

• Like 1
  • That's Metal 1

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

FIRE AVIATION FRIDAY

Creek Fire Rescue Operation

In the past, fire aviation resources were grounded by dusk for safety reasons. In the new normal for western US megafires, that is changing. But there is one thing, now and historically, that has always caused air units to take to the night skies, even under dangerous conditions - rescue operations. 

A normal holiday weekend turns into a rescue for the record books for Stockton, California based Chinook and Black Hawk crews. Full Story: Fire Aviation Magazine

IMG_1413.thumb.jpg.e358a12ac45ebaf2a4db2b2af08fcf77.jpg

IMG_1410.thumb.jpg.8178d4332e360828a0d4fe1af40ac3de.jpg

For those of you who like planes and helicopters, here's CalFire's Firefighting Aircraft Recognition Guide that has details on on the units the send skyward.

• Like 2

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

Amazing photos and story...really glad I don't have family in Stockton anymore (we lived there until my parents divorce)

• Like 1

RES...and I want to live days worth dying for...

Current: RES: CUTE 2021 Version

Spoiler

Magickal, Eclectic, Goddess, Level 56

|1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13|14|15|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25|26|27|28|29|30|31|32|33|34|35|36|37|38|39|40|41|42|43|44|45|46|47|48|49|50|51|52|53|54|55|56|57|58|59|60|

|My Character Page | Tracking Spreadsheet | Our Business Venture |

Growth happens when you care more about the well being of your future self than the comfort of your present self!

"Pass on what you have learned. Strength, mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is." -Yoda

On 10/16/2020 at 12:00 PM, Emma said:

Thank you!

My sister lives near the creek fire.

I have been a little fire obsessed since Tubbs, can’t imagine why :)

Lots of respect for those pilots.

Hope you are doing okay.

You're welcome!

Wow, your family is sure seeing the CA wildfire situation up close.

Can't imagine... 😀

Yes, tremendous respect. They did an amazing job under harrowing conditions. 

Doing alright. Need to catch up a bit, but got in some art time this weekend which was much needed!

On 10/16/2020 at 3:20 PM, RES said:

Amazing photos and story...really glad I don't have family in Stockton anymore (we lived there until my parents divorce)

I hear you. I can't think of anyplace in the San Joaquin where I'd want to live. I left California 35 years ago for Flagstaff, AZ and would have been happy spending the rest of my life there. Fluke of fate that I've ended up in Phoenix, which is like a chunk of LA was transplanted to the desert. 😣

• Like 2

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

Wrapping up...

OBJECTIVES

I resolve to use the next five weeks to:

√ 1) Reduce my soda consumption

√ 2) Increase my physical activity

√ 3) Reduce my stress level

√ 4) Create cool stuff

GOALS & RESULTS

1) Reduce my soda consumption to 25% (or less) of what I am currently drinking, with the end goal of being 100% soda free on or before November 1st, 2020.

RESULT: I reduced my consumption to 30% of what I was drinking. Close to the goal, and I will continue to reduce my consumption in the next challenge, though I am struggling a bit with going completely to 0 as I was not able to negotiate keeping soda 100% out of the house. Not sure how I am going to deal with that yet.

2) Increase my physical activity gradually, and as steadily as possible, given that I am still recovering from COVID-19 and am still quite de-conditioned from it.

RESULT: I increased my endurance/cardio type activity, though it was not a steady progression. Will be continuing this goal next challenge and will attempt to add in strength training. I was unable to keep that going this time as it was making ribcage pain worse. Still not sure if that will work, but will see if modifications allow for it. 

3) Reduce my stress through meditation and journaling.

RESULT: This went well and I want to keep going with it and ingrain the good habits further

4) Create cool stuff at least 5 times per week for a half an hour (or even more!).

RESULT: Yes! This went well and I want to increase my time to at least one hour per day in the next challenge. I reached that several times during this challenge and feel I can take this to the next level.

I didn't track as well as I would have liked and I had some notable misses here and there, but overall, I'm happy with how I did and feel like I can bump things up at least half a notch in the coming challenge! 

It's good to be back! And I will continue the saga of my quest. It's about to get interesting...

• Like 6

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

Well done on the challenge. I echo RaideR, it's very good to have you back.

• Like 1

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath