• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Kestrel Grey

Kestrel: The Patient Predator

Wow! Glad in the end it all was alright, but that sounds like a very stressful few hours. I guess good cardio for sprints, and  getting your heart rate up too! So much for a relaxing weekend huh? Hugs, hope you can take some deep breaths , have a nice glass of wine, and relax a bit.

• Thanks 1

Sorry to hear about the coas. Glad it seemed to work out ok. It does sound pretty stressful.

On 9/21/2020 at 8:22 PM, Kestrel Grey said:

Tomorrow will have to be a chore catch up day.

Random disjointed thoughts on gamifying fitness:

Reveal hidden contents

I like grinding on games.  Doing small steps ad nauseum for predictable, linear progress. You can't do that with fitness. It's not like I can be a beginner runner, so cram 16 hours of running in over two days and level up to an intermediate runner.  You can't cram fitness and shouldn't cram weight loss. I try to cram reading about health and fitness as a stand in for actually training more. It doesn't work. So what do I grind to make actual progress when I'm frustrated with where I am? Probably nothing, just develop patience.  That's not how video games work though. So problem: needing an action that is infinitely repeatable and has a predictable proof of progress. For getting stronger, faster, fitter, or leaner.  I guess that's what step counter apps are, for one.

It is too bad that fitness and such wasn't more like video games. It has the unfortunate issue of not being able to stay with it for a prolonged about of time to get it figured out such as many other things in our life. I think this is part of what makes it so difficult for me. I tend to stay on a think til I figure it out. To a fault, I have to remind myself to walk away to get a fresh perspective. But with a lot of fitness and health it is the other way. You have to only do it for a short time or you get worse/stress/overwork your body.

• Like 1

Glad you were able to rescue delboy. That sounds super stressful...must have been a huge dose of adrenaline. I'm not surprised that you were feeling the effects for long while afterward.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone.  It took more out of me than I expected, and neither my husband nor myself are sleeping well yet.  But I think we've got the last of the smoke out of the furniture and carpets.  Dragging around furniture and the carpet cleaner has been my exercise these past two days.  We are trying to stop mulling over how we could have done things differently since everything turned out fine.  As of last night I am back on track with my routines and eating skills.

Speaking of eating skills, my thighs rubbing have worn a hole in the only pair of jeans that still fitted me.  So now my choices are

a) go spend money and time trying to find another pair of fat jeans to last me until I can fit back in my old jeans.

b) wear sweats, scrubs, and hiking pants for the next three months.

c) crash diet to get back in my own damn jeans.

The correct answer should be a or b, but I may need some assistance in not falling into c... because as of right now I didn't eat breakfast and wasn't going to eat lunch except I got dizzy and my husband made me.  The whole thighs-wearing-a-hole-through-my-fat-jeans thing is making me feel awful about my weight.  Patience is not happening like I promised it would.

Definitely choose A or B. It's not worth a crash diet. Those take a toll on your body and can actually take you further from a goal of loosing weight. Typically you regain the weight and it takes a toll on your body.

You have had a lot happen recently and ask that extra work probably contributes to not having a positive outlook and maybe is affecting your desire to make the right decision?

• Like 1

Yikes, a fire in your building is scary and poor Delboy getting loose! Glad you were able to find him quickly and all is basically okay. 

I'm with you on the fat pants thing. Even my fat jeans don't fit me now so I'm living in (high quality) leggings at work and sweatpants at home. And we used some of my tshirts as packing material for our statues because they're too small to be comfortable now. But we both know that crash dieting is not the way to go. I just spent some money on shirts that fit more comfortably (and on the lookout for some more pants), you can buy another pair of jeans that fit your body as it is now.

• Like 1

I vote A (and B when you feel like it). And also not thinking of them as fat jeans. I'm guessing you have a muscular lower body. Sure maybe not all muscle, but plenty enough to carry you through those ultras. I recently saw a website with women's jeans designed for weightlifters (wider cut in the thigh). I'm not advertising/promoting any particular brand, but google "Fran demin" to get an idea about this. Seeing the pictures of their models honestly made me think differently about jeans.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Xena said:

I vote A (and B when you feel like it). And also not thinking of them as fat jeans. I'm guessing you have a muscular lower body. Sure maybe not all muscle, but plenty enough to carry you through those ultras. I recently saw a website with women's jeans designed for weightlifters (wider cut in the thigh). I'm not advertising/promoting any particular brand, but google "Fran demin" to get an idea about this. Seeing the pictures of their models honestly made me think differently about jeans.

This is a fair point. I remember as a kid I couldn't fit into pants properly. Then the 90's hit and baggy was in. Then I gained weight. I suspect if I got back to size I couldn't fit into normal jeans and would need weightlifting jeans. 

• Like 1

The Fran jeans look awesome!  I prefer to try on jeans before buying but at least I know there are better options out there.  Right now I'm a little thicker around the waist so it's not a problem. Normally jeans have huge waist gap. Or show an unacceptable amount of butt cleavage. 

• Like 1

Thanks everyone.  The previous week had me catastrophizing the simple event of needing new jeans. (It still feels sucky though, I hate jean shopping here! The store brands don't look good on me and the store that carries boutique brands doesn't carry anything my current size.)

Still no exercise.  Tomorrow is a day off so I'll dig up my garden beds for winter and get a trail run in.  Food is better but I'm still getting randomly light headed.  Definitely over the urge to crash diet (thanks NFers).  Missed my routines yesterday because I was exhausted (still not sleeping) and then worked late. Did them today.

Also I downloaded the latest Dresden Files book today and finished it in one sitting.  

11 hours ago, Kestrel Grey said:

I prefer to try on jeans before buying

completely fair point

10 hours ago, Kestrel Grey said:

Also I downloaded the latest Dresden Files book today and finished it in one sitting.  

I've only read the first 5 or so in that series. Should re-read those and move on to the others. I liked the ones I read.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Xena said:

I've only read the first 5 or so in that series. Should re-read those and move on to the others. I liked the ones I read.

I find them strangely uplifting. The darker and crueller the world gets, the more faith he develops in himself and in people.

• Like 1

I was going to write my weekly summary bemoaning the fact I haven't gotten outside at all this week. Half way into the report I realized it's only Saturday, and deleted it. There's still time!  My poor husband had his wisdom tooth out this morning and it was a little rough so he shouldn't be left alone for long, but a short run will be fine.

Hoping everyone is safe!  The world is seeming unsteady at the moment. Maybe it's me that's unsteady.

• Like 2

On 10/4/2020 at 2:58 PM, ladymorella said:

I think many feel unsteady. I do for sure.

Hope you enjoy some time outside. Even if brief.

I went for a nice long meander, thanks.

On 10/4/2020 at 6:40 PM, Xena said:

Hope you got outside and that your husband is ok.

Tonight he got to eat something not pureed into baby food so he's feeling more cheerful. It's strange; when I had my wisdom teeth out the throbbing irritated me but the smoothies and ice cream cheered me up. He only cared that he couldn't have steak.

• Like 2

Random update: feeling oddly confident.  Tired and anxious and wobbly, I don't even know what day it is, and I'm pretty sure that it's been three weeks since I went for a run. Yet I think there's been a small mental breakthrough this challenge from the bedtime routine.  It's been getting easier every day to tell the voice saying "I don't feel like it" that it is completely irrelevant, since I didn't decide to do it in the first place because I thought I'd feel like it. 

This newfound skill has not manifested in food or running yet, but it is starting to show up in my strength training. Some level of consistency is slowly evolving there. 

• Like 3

I take it back, no progress on the exercise front!  On Friday I got my flu shot and it hit me a little this year.  So I am taking it easy for a few days.

Wishing there was something interesting to update.  Weight hasn't budged, haven't been running or lifting much, haven't been on any hikes recently. Treading water.

Flu shot is such a wild card. Last year I had a hard time lifting my arm for 3 days. This year, no problem.

But it sounds like you will probably be in good shape later this week. Eventually you'll triumph over the flu shot, and all the work you did on bedtime routines will have you set up for success.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ladymorella said:

Maybe you just need some rest right now? Maybe for now just walking is good?

You are right.  Probably the smartest thing to do is to keep to my planned schedule and just swap out the runs for walks.

My calves are apparently starting to get varicose veins (shudder) and walking is supposed to be good for that anyway.  On the plus side I amused myself yesterday by ordering a bunch of colorful new compression socks.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Xena said:

Flu shot is such a wild card. Last year I had a hard time lifting my arm for 3 days. This year, no problem.

But it sounds like you will probably be in good shape later this week. Eventually you'll triumph over the flu shot, and all the work you did on bedtime routines will have you set up for success.

Thanks!  The flu shot seemed fine for me too this year, but I am starting to get flu-like symptoms a couple days in.  As you say, it will pass.

• Like 1

Running is not happening.  I'm starting to feel uncomfortable going to the gym with the uptick in Covid cases, and outside is getting cold and icy. I plan on running outside through the winter but I'm still getting used to the cold.  Also, the nice little road that I was running all spring? It was a 10 minute drive round trip at the time. Now that no one is working from home anymore it takes 40 minutes and it just doesn't seem worth it.

At-home strength sessions are going well this week. So there's that.

• Sad 1