Lateral Planet: Way of the Wombat

Lateral Planet

Here's where we're at: 2020 has kicked my butt so far. I'm currently around 10kg heavier than I was this time last year, and although I managed to stop gaining in my last challenge, I would very much like to undo a few of those kilos. I get better results when I have a firm goal in mind (clearly my nebulous "just be healthier" approach hasn't been very effective).

So here it is: be 75kg on my 30th birthday six months from now.

I did a bit of a reboot in the last challenge by starting light, easing my way back in to some more mindful healthy practices, and now I feel ready to take some bigger steps. Since "eat less, move more" is sooo boring I'm using a wombat theme. My husband got me a life-size plush wombat for our anniversary and they've been on the mind lately.

1) Intermittent fasting

Wombats will graze for up to eight hours each day. I'll do a 16:8 intermittent fasting pattern, basically meaning lunch, dinner and the odd snack in between. I'll also track everything I eat so I stay mindful.

2) Movement

Wombats will travel up to 3km a night in search of food and can run as fast as 40km/h when threatened. With the weather warming up I'd like to get back into jogging at least once a week. Don't know if wombats are into yoga but I'll do some of that too.

3) Burrow maintenance

Wombats dig complex burrows and occasionally host visitors during bushfires. I'll do something each day that makes some visible improvement to the home, like vacuuming, decluttering, tidying up etc.

I just really love wombats.

20ed6d23028d2ef3066599e1b7199baa.gif.1d3b49fe5bc8a4650c389d85a0f14e5d.gif

• Like 7

Wombats are wonderful role models.

Right now scientists are doing research on the wombat digestive tract (because their poop comes out cube-shaped) in an attempt to develop new technologies for mass-producing shaped items. Pretty cool!

Your challenge looks great and I wish you the best of luck! I'll be around. :)

Go, go, go!!!

Dljt5PA.gif

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
9 hours ago, Lateral Planet said:

I'll do something each day that makes some visible improvement to the home, like vacuuming, decluttering, tidying up etc.

Whenever I do this, 90 % of the time it means dishes. :D 

• Like 2

"... However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light." -  Stanley Kubrick

"Difficult for myself? Agent... I was born difficult for myself." - Clint Barton

Challenges:  #1 #2 (mini) #3 (mini) #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21

My Fitness Pal - inactive

5 hours ago, Wobbegong said:

Wombats are wonderful role models.

Right now scientists are doing research on the wombat digestive tract (because their poop comes out cube-shaped) in an attempt to develop new technologies for mass-producing shaped items. Pretty cool!

That's so bizarre! I knew about the cubed poo but wouldn't have dreamed it would have practical application in the human world beyond identifying that there's a wombat in the area.

5 hours ago, Wobbegong said:

Go, go, go!!!

Dljt5PA.gif

I also love tortoises! I met a Galapagos tortoise at the zoo the other day who was 100 years old and still breeding, they're so cool :D

3 hours ago, cd667 said:

I happen to know that wombats love yoga. I checked.

That's just as well, because I actually did some yoga this afternoon for the first time in (oops) two months! Very nice to have a stretch after all this time

54 minutes ago, Echoceanic said:

Whenever I do this, 90 % of the time it means dishes. :D 

That's what it was this evening! Maybe a bit of a cop-out since that's a nightly chore that was going to get done anyway, but it's zero week so I'm letting myself get away with it ;) The laundry is my true nemesis!

• Like 5
2 hours ago, Lateral Planet said:

That's what it was this evening! Maybe a bit of a cop-out since that's a nightly chore that was going to get done anyway, but it's zero week so I'm letting myself get away with it ;) The laundry is my true nemesis!

I actually tracked doing this every day for a few months because it's my worst daily chore. Now I am wayyy better than before.

But weekly chores are the ones I tend to skip - because I tend to postpone them to the weekend for some reason and then can't do it.

Laundry is not my chore at this point, but I think I'd do okay, I don't have a lot of clothes weekly.

• Like 2

"... However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light." -  Stanley Kubrick

"Difficult for myself? Agent... I was born difficult for myself." - Clint Barton

Challenges:  #1 #2 (mini) #3 (mini) #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21

6 hours ago, Echoceanic said:

I actually tracked doing this every day for a few months because it's my worst daily chore. Now I am wayyy better than before.

But weekly chores are the ones I tend to skip - because I tend to postpone them to the weekend for some reason and then can't do it.

Laundry is not my chore at this point, but I think I'd do okay, I don't have a lot of clothes weekly.

It's so satisfying to have clean dishes every day! It's the good habit I'm most thankful for establishing early on in cohabitation. My husband and I take turns to cook dinner each night, and then whoever didn't cook has to wash up after. Otherwise we take the "If you notice something needs doing, just do it" approach to chores, but that only works because we have similar standards for tidiness/cleanliness so neither of us slacks off too much.

The one exception is we put our own laundry away. I can start a load, I can hang it all up to dry, I can put it in separate baskets for his stuff and my stuff. But for whatever reason I just hit a wall when it comes to putting my stuff back in the cupboard, and then I have to rummage through a basket of clean clothes to find what I want to wear. I've just decided I'm going to tackle the current basketfull this afternoon!

• Like 5

I haven't been able to do laundry lately because the weather would prevent it ever getting dry, but this morning I did at least collect all the dirty clothes strewn about everywhere and put them in the hamper. Tomorrow I conquer the chairdrobe! I'm just like you, cleaning the laundry isn't a problem (unless weather) but getting it put away... for some reason that's where I get stuck. Right now it's even worse because I don't even live in my bedroom, why would I want to take my laundry all the way back there and put it in the closet just to have to go out of my way to go get it out when I need it?! It's too inefficient.

But hunting through a pile of assorted things for a matching pair of socks is also really inefficient, so...

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Lateral Planet said:

The one exception is we put our own laundry away. I can start a load, I can hang it all up to dry, I can put it in separate baskets for his stuff and my stuff. But for whatever reason I just hit a wall when it comes to putting my stuff back in the cupboard, and then I have to rummage through a basket of clean clothes to find what I want to wear. I've just decided I'm going to tackle the current basketfull this afternoon!

I think I don't have this problem because we don't have a basket. We've always just remove the clothes from the hanger and put them away immediately (or left them on the chair for a few hours and then put them away).

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Lateral Planet said:

I've just decided I'm going to tackle the current basketfull this afternoon!

Guess what didn't happen yesterday? As soon as I got home I was just sapped of all energy and motivation to do anything other than relax on the couch all afternoon, so that's what I did. It hadn't even been a particularly difficult day, but I was just totally drained all the same. I'm feeling a bit more refreshed this morning, and hopefully that will last me til home time!

• Like 4
22 hours ago, Tateman said:

I seem to have a lot better mornings for motivation to do things. Sometimes I can pull off the afternoon/night thing, but the percentage is much lower for me to feel like doing anything haha.

I had a great time working from home because I was exercising during the extra half hour in the morning that used to be spent commuting. Now I'm back in the office and I just haven't made time for it. I mean I definitely have time, but I've been spending that time on the couch instead. I really don't want to wake up earlier, but I could think about starting work a bit later so I'd have time for morning stretches. Maybe after daylight savings, when there's more sun in the afternoons.

• Like 4

Friday has been really full on. I got called into the boss's office, they want me to be a mentor for a new starter in a few weeks. I'm kind of terrified but I'm going to do it. I've never been officially in charge of anyone before and it's a pretty daunting prospect, but I've been in my professional comfort zone for a long while now so it's probably time I stepped out.

Also, I just had to get a wisdom tooth removed and now my face feels really weird. I'm going to be on a soft food diet for the next couple of days, so I stocked up on yoghurt and soup bases and custard. Not very substantial or nutritious, but hey I'll probably lose some weight as a side effect.

• Like 4
2 hours ago, Tateman said:

I had all 4 wisdom teeth removed when I was 18. I can recall having to watch what I ate. No drinking with straws etc. Hope you have a quick recovery :)

Oh yikes, that sounds pretty gnarly :( I'm very glad that it was pretty quick and easy, and so far so good on recovery. I haven't lost a tooth since I was 11 years old, I forgot just how peculiar it feels! 

• Like 2

It's been 48 hours since I last ate something crunchy, and I have to say it's not a lot of fun. I'll keep up with it for one more day and then start experimenting with textures a bit. Dinner tonight was some pumpkin soup I got at the supermarket and it was bloody awful. Luckily Husband got himself some KFC for dinner and was nice enough to let me have his mashed potatoes. If that ain't true love I don't know what is!

• Like 3
5 hours ago, Lateral Planet said:

It's been 58 hours since I last ate something crunchy, and I have to say it's not a lot of fun. I'll keep up with it for one more day and then start experimenting with textures a bit. Dinner tonight was some pumpkin soup I got at the supermarket and it was bloody awful. Luckily Husband got himself some KFC for dinner and was nice enough to let me have his mashed potatoes. If that ain't true love I don't know what is!

It's funny how much you really end up missing things like a little crunch when you can't have it. At least mashed potatoes though. I do miss me some potatoes :)

• Like 1

It's Monday and time for me to start the challenge properly, although perhaps with some modifications. As a result of not eating anything substantial in the last three days I'm down nearly 2.5kg! Heck of a result, but not a fun or sustainable way to get it. I'm very excited to start eating normally again today, and although it would be nice if I don't immediately bungee back up in weight, I wouldn't be very surprised if it happens.

Quick reminder to myself of what my goals are:
1) Intermittent fasting

Might be off for this week. My jaw has already started aching this morning and I shouldn't take ibuprofen on an empty stomach. But I can still track everything I eat. Also I haven't had any sugary drinks for three days and I'm keen to keep that streak going.

2) Movement

It's finally spring and I'm in for some gorgeous weather this week, perfect for walkies!

3) Home maintenance

I never did get around to that basket of laundry, and it keeps piling up.

4) Professional revision

This is a new one. I'm being asked to mentor a newbie in a few weeks, which means I need to remind myself of our training materials so I'm ready for when they start. I've been in this job so long it's easy to take for granted just how much there is to learn!

So it's shaping up to be a good week :D

• Like 4
48 minutes ago, Tateman said:

Oh, you get to be a mentor. That should be exciting :) 

I'm a bit freaked out to be honest. I just do not have the confidence to say I'm management material, even though the boss seems to think so. I knew it would be part of the job once I had a level of experience so I decided long ago to just leave to the fates; I won't ask to be in charge a trainee, but if I'm offered one I won't say no... and now here I am. I guess I'll just fake it til I make it! In the meantime at least I've got a couple of weeks of notice to try and prepare myself.

• Like 4
27 minutes ago, Lateral Planet said:

I'm a bit freaked out to be honest. I just do not have the confidence to say I'm management material, even though the boss seems to think so. I knew it would be part of the job once I had a level of experience so I decided long ago to just leave to the fates; I won't ask to be in charge a trainee, but if I'm offered one I won't say no... and now here I am. I guess I'll just fake it til I make it! In the meantime at least I've got a couple of weeks of notice to try and prepare myself.

Exciting! You'll do great! :) 

• Like 1