Lateral Planet: Way of the Wombat

Lateral Planet

I was talking about the current Australian Geographic Nature Photography exhibition at the SA Museum with my Japanese teacher and sent her
this photo.

She said "Did you know wombat poo is square?"
And I said I did, but how did she know?
"Oh another student from Australia told me." And then we went off on theories about how they make square poo. She thought maybe they play with it to make it square.

"Ummm....no, I don't think so!":

wombat.jpeg

• Like 3
3 hours ago, Jupiter said:

Exciting! You'll do great! :) 

Thanks! People keep telling me that, I just haven't managed to internalize it yet 😅

1 hour ago, chibi-nerd said:

I was talking about the current Australian Geographic Nature Photography exhibition at the SA Museum with my Japanese teacher and sent her
this photo.

She said "Did you know wombat poo is square?"
And I said I did, but how did she know?
"Oh another student from Australia told me." And then we went off on theories about how they make square poo. She thought maybe they play with it to make it square.

"Ummm....no, I don't think so!":

It's probably the No. 1 top fun fact about wombats, so I'm not surprised!

• Like 3

Day 1 in the bag! I didn't do the fasting thing strictly but I did track everything, not that there was much to track. I was very happy to have real food for dinner! I nearly reached for a coke to have with dinner before remembering my goal to keep up the streak. 

Plans for a nice long walk were cancelled when I got stuck at work for longer than planned and the light was already fading when I got home. But I did some yoga instead, which was nice.

For tidying I washed an extra batch of dishes. Technically it was Husband's turn tonight but they were piling up so I did a few this afternoon to lighten the load. I'm definitely not looking for ways to avoid my laundry basket.

• Like 5
On 9/11/2020 at 9:04 AM, Lateral Planet said:

Also, I just had to get a wisdom tooth removed and now my face feels really weird. I'm going to be on a soft food diet for the next couple of days, so I stocked up on yoghurt and soup bases and custard. Not very substantial or nutritious, but hey I'll probably lose some weight as a side effect.

I will have to have some of my wisdom teeth removed, because my other teeth will crowd. So this sounds awful. 

• Like 1

"... However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light." -  Stanley Kubrick

"Difficult for myself? Agent... I was born difficult for myself." - Clint Barton

Challenges:  #1 #2 (mini) #3 (mini) #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20

My Fitness Pal - inactive

On 9/15/2020 at 3:05 AM, Tateman said:

It's kind of funny just how much other things you will do, when you really don't want to do another thing haha. I have done that so much. :) 

I did it again on Tuesday, did the dishes instead of the laundry. I promise I'll get around to it!

6 hours ago, Echoceanic said:

I will have to have some of my wisdom teeth removed, because my other teeth will crowd. So this sounds awful. 

Oh no, that sounds dreadful! Best of luck with that. I'm very lucky that the one causing problems was the one that had already emerged, so they were able to just yank it out. But I know the other three are still there lurking under the surface, biding their time and waiting to strike, not unlike this:

jaws.gif.79c221f26e6509fdee8c812f685e47c9.gif

• Like 3
16 hours ago, Lateral Planet said:

Oh no, that sounds dreadful! Best of luck with that. I'm very lucky that the one causing problems was the one that had already emerged, so they were able to just yank it out. But I know the other three are still there lurking under the surface, biding their time and waiting to strike, not unlike this:

I'm waiting till all four of em emerge. Especially because on one side I have a tooth that is basically three walls and a filling (it kept hurting until the dentist hollowed it out) so I'm thinking if the wisdom tooth is healthy (good chance, I haven't had many problems) they can just yank this one out. 

• Like 1

"... However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light." -  Stanley Kubrick

"Difficult for myself? Agent... I was born difficult for myself." - Clint Barton

Challenges:  #1 #2 (mini) #3 (mini) #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20

My Fitness Pal - inactive

That's why I had to get mine removed. The were all coming in at like 45 degrees and pushing on the other teeth. At the time, the dentist/oral surgeon was fantastic. He described every step perfectly. Including the parts where he told me it might feel like he is trying to break my jaw haha. No pain, just the pressure. 

• Like 2

Wednesday was derailed by an attack of the grumps. We put an offer on a house (first time ever) and half an hour later the agent rang and said they want $20,000 more. I'm so annoyed. We even offered over asking, but now they want more?? I knew we'd be in for a bit of real estate shenanigans but I really resent the fact it's a flaky seller that's the problem and not a competing offer, which I could understand. Anyway, mulling over that dilemma basically ate up the rest of the evening so although I smashed my food goals the other goals were neglected. Hopefully my head will be clearer today and I can catch up a bit.

• Like 4
26 minutes ago, Lateral Planet said:

We put an offer on a house (first time ever) and half an hour later the agent rang and said they want $20,000 more. I'm so annoyed. We even offered over asking, but now they want more?? I knew we'd be in for a bit of real estate shenanigans but I really resent the fact it's a flaky seller that's the problem and not a competing offer, which I could understand.

That's just greedy. I feel like it deserves a counter-offer of the original asking price.

• Like 3

Challenges: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10, #11, #12, #13, #14, Current

Walk to Mordor (2021)

32 minutes ago, Ranger Hal said:

That's just greedy. I feel like it deserves a counter-offer of the original asking price.

Oh we're definitely not raising them anything, we're holding fast and if they don't go for our offer we'll happily walk away and try again with another house; luckily we're not in a rush or anything. I really wish there weren't all these mind games around buying a house, sure would make life a lot easier.

• Like 6
19 hours ago, Lateral Planet said:

Oh we're definitely not raising them anything, we're holding fast and if they don't go for our offer we'll happily walk away and try again with another house; luckily we're not in a rush or anything. I really wish there weren't all these mind games around buying a house, sure would make life a lot easier.

Good. This is trash and I hope they pull their heads out of their butts.

• Like 3
4 hours ago, Countess D'If said:

Good. This is trash and I hope they pull their heads out of their butts.

2 hours ago, Tateman said:

100% agreed! 

Thanks for the validation you guys. Admittedly we've made a few rookie errors in the process (to be fair, we are indeed total rookies) but we're smart enough to know bogus when we hear it!

Back on the topic of the challenge, it's been a bit of a mixed bag. Work has been super crazy so I haven't had the chance to do any mentoring preparation, but things should calm down a bit next week. I haven't made time for exercise since Monday, and I haven't been very vigilant about tidying up at all. But I have invited friends over on the weekend, and if anything's going to get the house clean it's the prospect of visitors!

The big win has been on the nutrition side. I'm still not quite eating normally after my wisdom tooth removal. Just for an abundance of caution, for the next week or two I'm still forgoing extra crunchy things and things that get stuck in your teeth. As a result I've been eating a lot less since my favourite snacks like Kettle chips and peanut M&Ms fit both those categories. And I haven't had any liquid calories for six days, which is probably my longest streak ever and I'm keen to see how long I can hold out.

• Like 4
On 9/14/2020 at 9:03 AM, Lateral Planet said:

I'm a bit freaked out to be honest. I just do not have the confidence to say I'm management material, even though the boss seems to think so. I knew it would be part of the job once I had a level of experience so I decided long ago to just leave to the fates; I won't ask to be in charge a trainee, but if I'm offered one I won't say no... and now here I am. I guess I'll just fake it til I make it! In the meantime at least I've got a couple of weeks of notice to try and prepare myself.

From my experience working in a male dominated industry I've come to the conclusion that this is a female way of thinking...which is not a bad thing!! 

I could go on and on about this but I'll be (rightly) accused of being sexist. (why for instance did men, who had just read the manual on a certain platform claim to be "expert" while I, who had months of experience with it claimed "moderate knowledge"? )
Do you know Jodie Foster worries constantly that The Academy will realise she doesn't deserve her oscar and come and take it back? That's called imposter syndrome and it's much more common among women.

I guess what I'm saying is it is natural to feel inadequate, simply because that's how women think, but you're not! That's why you've been chosen for the role.

• Like 3
31 minutes ago, chibi-nerd said:

From my experience working in a male dominated industry I've come to the conclusion that this is a female way of thinking...which is not a bad thing!! 

I could go on and on about this but I'll be (rightly) accused of being sexist. (why for instance did men, who had just read the manual on a certain platform claim to be "expert" while I, who had months of experience with it claimed "moderate knowledge"? )
Do you know Jodie Foster worries constantly that The Academy will realise she doesn't deserve her oscar and come and take it back? That's called imposter syndrome and it's much more common among women.

I guess what I'm saying is it is natural to feel inadequate, simply because that's how women think, but you're not! That's why you've been chosen for the role.

Man, imposter syndrome is a real bitch. I've always been like this. The problem I've found with "fake it til you make it" is I've never had an epiphany moment of "Ah, I've made it, I'm actually great at this," it's just an ongoing "Look how well I've tricked everyone into thinking I'm great at this." I know that's not at all how it works, but it sure would be nice. In the meantime self-confidence is something I'm working on.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Lateral Planet said:

But I have invited friends over on the weekend, and if anything's going to get the house clean it's the prospect of visitors!

Nothing like visitors to motivate a cleaning spree!!

11 minutes ago, Lateral Planet said:

Man, imposter syndrome is a real bitch. I've always been like this. The problem I've found with "fake it til you make it" is I've never had an epiphany moment of "Ah, I've made it, I'm actually great at this," it's just an ongoing "Look how well I've tricked everyone into thinking I'm great at this." I know that's not at all how it works, but it sure would be nice. In the meantime self-confidence is something I'm working on.

The funny thing about Imposter syndrome is that everyone I know IRL suffers from it. Is there ANYONE out there who actually believes they know what they are doing?

• Like 3
On 9/17/2020 at 7:35 AM, Lateral Planet said:

This is in Canberra? I've heard real estate in Canberra has gone mad. All the defence personnel have been called back and now they want their houses back which they had been renting and
its become really really hard to find a rental place, which in turn has put pressure on sales as well. :(

5 minutes ago, Countess D'If said:

I had my knitting friends over 2 weeks ago and lo and behold, the house got clean! Now it is a sty again, but in 2 weeks they'll be back so I'll have to clean. I think this is an excellent arrangement!

5 minutes ago, Countess D'If said:

The funny thing about Imposter syndrome is that everyone I know IRL suffers from it. Is there ANYONE out there who actually believes they know what they are doing?

LOL! Apart from those suffering from Dunning Kruger. Personally, I think it's healthy to doubt yourself, but not too much.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Countess D'If said:

Absolutely! Luckily it's an afternoon thing so I have the whole morning for emergency vacuuming ;)

6 minutes ago, Countess D'If said:

I think, as chibi said, it's mostly dudes with no humility. 

• Like 4
8 minutes ago, chibi-nerd said:

This is in Canberra? I've heard real estate in Canberra has gone mad. All the defence personnel have been called back and now they want their houses back which they had been renting and its become really really hard to find a rental place, which in turn has put pressure on sales as well. :(

Yep, it's wild! A few weeks ago we rang up about a listing that had been online for maybe three hours and they said they there was already an offer on it?? It's been quite an adventure. Maybe our COVID-free streak has sparked an invasion ;)

On 9/17/2020 at 4:22 PM, Lateral Planet said:

I think, as chibi said, it's mostly dudes with no humility. 

I use to feel this way about everything I did really. Playing baseball as a kid. "Oh I am good right now, but just wait" Work stuff too, I have felt it for sure. :)

• Like 2

Made up for my lazy week by having a super productive weekend. I not only put away all my laundry but also vacuumed the whole house and tidied up all the out-of-control surfaces. So I knocked that goal out of the park eventually.

Also some friends came over and we did some Fitness Marshall dance workout videos, so all up that's two exercises done for the week. Not a huge effort, but more than in many of the previous weeks so I'm calling it a success. 

Finally, I completely forgot that I intended to start tracking food, oops! But I recall in general terms I didn't drink anything besides water and did almost zero snacking, which has resulted in me being able to maintain the weight I lost last week as a result of my dental soft food diet, which is pretty fantastic.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Lateral Planet said:

Made up for my lazy week by having a super productive weekend. I not only put away all my laundry but also vacuumed the whole house and tidied up all the out-of-control surfaces. So I knocked that goal out of the park eventually.

That's the weekend I had planned....so what is that pile of washing doing on the floor?

• Like 1