Cabin Challenge

If the goals of my prior challenge (Quest for Sanity) had included remodel the guest bathroom, Master Bedroom, and Master Bathroom in my attempt to achieve sanity, it would have been a complete success. I have maybe one day left of little touch ups and they will be complete. The very last thing to arrive will be the new bedding (due 14-16th). I also went on an extreme minimalist kick in the kitchen and now having almost nothing in the kitchen that is not used on a daily (or at the very least, weekly) basis. And, I've even been keeping on top of it almost every night so I can wake up to completely bare counter tops every single morning. That, for me, is sanity.

Also did a minimalist thing in kids' room, my bedroom, and the laundry room. Even my wardrobe. (Again.)

So, this challenge is very simple:

#1. Get under 160 before October 1 (when we leave for a one-week 10-year anniversary getaway in a cabin with a hot tub in the woods). 

#2. Keep the entire upstairs spotless (living, dining, kitchen, laundry room, kids' room, master bedroom, master bathroom). 

#3. Potty Train (take 4)

#4. Finish up non-fiction project that has January deadline (4a), so I can finish up the fiction project that has November deadline (4b).

Goals #1, #2, and #4 will help with sanity. Number #3 is just because it needs to be done. I personally am so used to changing diapers by now that I don't even think about it, but they are showing sings of control (though not much willingness, hence the 3 failed tries), but hubby is done with diapers, lol. 

#2 will be achieved by nightly clean up and having a "maid day" which is how this whole remodel thing started. Maid day is imagining that I have a maid come in once a week who makes my house beautiful for ME. Not for company (which I never have, which is why I so rarely clean up). It's so I can enjoy this house, which I actually love, and don't have to look for the same darn things I use every day because they are once again lost under mountains of clutter. It's so home is haven where I can relax, unwind, and feel at peace (i.e. sane).  

#1 will be achieved by stopping eating. Full Stop.

Just kidding. I'm going to do protein shakes for breakfast and lunch, healthy dinner of meat and veggies, and as little chocolate as possible. And, hopefully, getting back into weight lifting. I was just starting to do it almost regularly again when I started remodeling and was just too sore. So the remodeling was my exercise that last challenge. And hopefully, I'll be inspired by the cabin getaway enough to do some cardio too.  

• Like 2

Adulting is Hard. Jesus Helps. 

In the minimalist kick I'm on, I went through my wardrobe yet again. This time, I got rid of a ton of stuff I've been saving for when I'm thin-ish. You know, that day when suddenly I will wear colorful clothes even though I've never worn colorful clothes even when I was thin-ish. I'm not comfortable in colorful clothes, why do I think my tastes will change just because I'm content with my weight? 

So anyway, once again, I studied my "colors" trying to figure out which colors that supposedly compliment my cool skintone. I like warm colors (my entire house is in warm colors -- burn orange/rust, tans, and dark browns -- because they are the colors I like. I tried to change my skintone by wearing warm foundation (when I bought myself makeup for my birthday over the summer) and now I'm wondering if the reason I don't look good in it (when I see myself outside) is because its just clashing. I can look really pretty in my house, with the subtle lighting and all the warm colors, lol -- but then I go outside and if I catch myself in a mirror realize I look garrish. I stopped wearing makeup several weeks ago (it's one of the reasons I stopped bothering wearing it at all several years ago) so I decided to just deal with the pink/reddish skin tone and see if wearing "cool" makeup will make me not look garrish. Bought some today. Will try it tomorrow.

Also, more exciting than makeup, I studied my clothing colors and realize that the ONLY colors on the chart that I feel comfortable wearing are black, the one and only brown on the list -- dark brown, and white. They are all neutrals -- I don't wear a single accent color (most jewel tones) unless you count the frosty pastel pink, which I wore alot in my 20's because it flattered my face. So, I've decided to make white my accent color. (I usually only wear black and dark brown). So I'm wondering if going with the "cool" foundation and maybe wearing a little bit of white near my face, will make me feel pretty in natural light. 

If this turns out to be correct (that I feel pretty / not garrish), then I will start working on a capsule wardrobe with those 3 colors. I'm actually pretty excited about that, as I've always wanted to build a wardrobe but always waited until I was happy with my weight and/or bought too small of sizes in colors I never wear. The idea of just saying the heck with your colors and patterns rules (I don't wear patterns either), I'm doing 3 solid neutrals and feeling comfortable with the way I look, and actually having a wardrobe of clothes that I will wear and feel comfortable in feels exciting and girly. Like, I'll actually enjoy putting effort into my appearance because instead of wearing these colors to hide, I'm just going to own the fact that I like dark solids regardless of my weight. 

Hope that makes sense. Mostly, I'm just journaling my thoughts and emotional progress. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Magdalena Ravenclaw said:

If the goals of my prior challenge (Quest for Sanity) had included remodel the guest bathroom, Master Bedroom, and Master Bathroom in my attempt to achieve sanity, it would have been a complete success.

Actually, retrofitting our challenges for 100% success is a great idea. Never fail again! :P 

What's the non-fiction project? 

In the minimalist kick I'm on, I went through my wardrobe yet again. This time, I got rid of a ton of stuff I've been saving for when I'm thin-ish. You know, that day when suddenly I will wear colorful clothes even though I've never worn colorful clothes even when I was thin-ish. I'm not comfortable in colorful clothes, why do I think my tastes will change just because I'm content with my weight? 

Right. I had this habit of buying colourful clothes because I like seeing bright colours. I don't like wearing them, though.

The idea of just saying the heck with your colors and patterns rules

I don't think fashion colour rules are based on actual colour theory. Doing what you actually like is a much better idea than doing what should suit you in 'theory', especially if the theory is, you know, totally made up. 

• Like 1

Let cheese and bread and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination.

13 hours ago, Magdalena Ravenclaw said:

I tried to change my skintone by wearing warm foundation (when I bought myself makeup for my birthday over the summer) and now I'm wondering if the reason I don't look good in it (when I see myself outside) is because its just clashing.

That is exactly why. Warm-toned foundation on cool-toned skin inevitably becomes some weird shade of orange, which isn't flattering on anyone, but least of all on cool toned skin.

Skin tone is one of those things that is what it is. We can darken the shade of our skin by tanning, but the undertone remains the same, and there is absolutely nothing we can do about that, because it's all genetics. The trick to good looking skin is in some small part to find the perfect tone and shade match in foundation and concealer, but a much bigger one is skin care that heals the skin and keeps it healthy. 

Side-note: "Reddish" is not a skin undertone... the "official" skin under tones are cool, warm, olive, and neutral. Reddish skin is typically a sign of something not being entirely 100% okay with the skin itself (for me it's a sign of irritation caused by sun or chemicals, for example), and if it really bothers you and impacts your sense of self, it's worth while to talk to a dermatologist or aesthetician about it, and to invest in skin care products that soothe irritation and calm down redness. Something to think about. :) 

• Like 1

Book Riot Challenge 2021

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27

10 hours ago, Harriet said:

I don't think fashion colour rules are based on actual colour theory. Doing what you actually like is a much better idea than doing what should suit you in 'theory', especially if the theory is, you know, totally made up. 

YES, this is a brilliant approach. Wear what you like to wear, and wear it with confidence... that is what makes us look good in our clothes. :) 

• Like 1

Book Riot Challenge 2021

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27

12 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

That is exactly why. Warm-toned foundation on cool-toned skin inevitably becomes some weird shade of orange, which isn't flattering on anyone, but least of all on cool toned skin.

I don't think it ever looked orange, just very harsh and aging. I tried out the cool toned foundation today, and my whole face looked slightly pinkish, BUT my eyes popped. That surprised me, because I didn't put on any eye makeup. But every time I walked into the bathroom (I'm remodeling both of them, so it was a lot), I was stunned to see how much my eyes were drawing attention. Also, I checked it in the car mirror when I ran my son to therapy, and I didn't have that harsh, aging look. It actually looked pretty nice, so I guess I know my real shade now.

Why does finding the right color work for makeup but not necessary for clothes, since both you and @Harriet said just wear whatever colors I like. Doesn't the colors at least near your face have the same effect as makeup?

One Room is Officially Done. The before pictures are from when it was just the kids' bathroom (owlery themed from Harry Potter). But it's the only bathroom (other than Master Bathroom) on the first floor so it also doubled as the guest bathroom. I was going to just keep swapping out the shower curtain (back to owls) except when guests come over, since that is so infrequent, i.e. 2x a month when hubby has writers group), but my son (4, autistic) says he prefers the new one. That seems odd to me, but maybe he finds it calming. Anyway, I did keep 2 of the HP features as seen below.

Spoiler

b8.jpg

b7.jpg

Before

b5.jpg

After

b6.jpg

Before

b3.jpg

After

b4.jpg

Before

b1.jpg

After

b2.jpg

22 hours ago, Harriet said:

Actually, retrofitting our challenges for 100% success is a great idea. Never fail again! :P 

Hahaha. It would have been my first successful challenge too! 

22 hours ago, Harriet said:

What's the non-fiction project? . 

Lol, in the simplest terms, it's a 7-week angels/demons Bible study written like a screen play. Sort of like, if God was Dumbledore and Jesus was Harry and Satan was Voldemort and the death eaters were demons, and the study itself sums up the whole Bible in 6 weeks with 1 extra lesson on the participant's role in the story. Does that make sense? Probably not, lol.

• Like 1

Just now, Magdalena Ravenclaw said:

Why does finding the right color work for makeup but not necessary for clothes, since both you and @Harriet said just wear whatever colors I like. Doesn't the colors at least near your face have the same effect as makeup?

I do think there can be right and wrong colours for you skin, but there are only a few of them, the rest is just preference. And I haven't found personal colour theories to be useful in identifying the wrong colours. For example this book said I was 'winter' and therefore could wear 'lemon yellow' but not 'grass green' because I should wear all cool colours, and lemon is a cool yellow but grass is a warm green. This is stupid, because all yellows are warmer than all greens, and light yellows are one of the colours that IMO look objectively bad on pale people. There are a few colours that seem to emphasise strong red or yellow tones, or paleness, but everything else is fine and just a matter of preference. For example, people have said they like me in bright red and cobalt blue, and I agree that they look objectively nice. But I hate brights and prefer neutrals and darks, which has to do with my personality and aesthetic preferences.

8 minutes ago, Magdalena Ravenclaw said:

Lol, in the simplest terms, it's a 7-week angels/demons Bible study written like a screen play. Sort of like, if God was Dumbledore and Jesus was Harry and Satan was Voldemort and the death eaters were demons, and the study itself sums up the whole Bible in 6 weeks with 1 extra lesson on the participant's role in the story. Does that make sense? Probably not, lol.

I won't comment because comparisons between God and Dumbledore would surely be blasphemous if done by a non-Christian. But I hope you have fun and get some insights out of it.

Let cheese and bread and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination.

On 9/8/2020 at 10:57 PM, Harriet said:

I won't comment because comparisons between God and Dumbledore would surely be blasphemous if done by a non-Christian. But I hope you have fun and get some insights out of it.

Hahaha, I'm sure my comparing God and Dumbledore would be blasphemous to many Christians.

I was mostly just referring to the Joseph Campbell hero's journey characters = the wise one.

• Like 1

So, I'm super excited. I think I finally have a plan that may work to get out of the 160's. I figured out that I can actually eat my chocolate (in limited qualities) AND go into Ketosis. Ketosis (eating under 20 grams carbs a day) is the only way I have ever successfully reached weight loss goals in the past (twice, out of 20+ years of dieting). So . . . that means no more rice cakes, no more potatoes, no more honey mustard sauce (sadness!), no more pasta made from lentils and veggies, etc. It's only 3 weeks. I can do this. :D

Oh, and evidently the FDA is trying to shut down the vaping industry by making store owners pay an application fee of 100,000+ per flavor and nic strength totaling in the tens of millions of dollars. So I stocked up on a few weeks worth and am already weaning myself off. So far no good. I haven't noticed the lower strength and I haven't eaten more to make up for it. This is how I quit last time after 17 years of smoking real cigarettes and was nic-free for 2 years (until I decided to go back on this past March just to get my eating under control due to extreme stress /weight gain in 2019). Hopefully, I can learn other stress-reducing techniques that actually work. I wish I could be one of those exercise junkies, but nope, not me. 

It is beyond ironic that I spent my entire adult life (from teens till late 30's) at 150-155 pounds and felt fat and now all I want to do is get back to that weight because I now recognize it was not fat and I want to fit in my clothes again. 

• Like 1

I'm actually having a lot of fun building a capsule wardrobe. I realized I actually would wear one of the accent colors -- mauve / rose gold / muted pink. And even though I said in an earlier post that I would wear white in addition to black and brown, I didn't own anything white. So, I bought a white tank and a white denim jacket today. And I even bought a stone colored pant (like a dark khaki). I've NEVER worn anything on my bottom half that wasn't black, brown, or blue jean. And of course, I couldn't try them on (dressing rooms closed due to Covid) but assuming they fit, I will make myself wear them and see if I can get used to it. 

I also bought myself some real clothes (instead of my mom uniform of the same pair of yoga pants and 2 matching t-shirts that I wear every single day; no lie, I have to wear workout clothes when I do wash) and am forcing myself to wear them in the house. By real clothes I mean loose fitting sweaters (in mauve/rose gold not just black!) and snug pants so that instead of throwing on flip flops or sneaks with the aforementioned yoga pants and t-shirt to go out the door I put on my leather boots and actually look like a civilized adult with some self-respect.

The makeup has really made a difference. @Scaly Freak, I figured out what the harshness/garrish thing was: as the day goes on, and makeup wears off -- that's when it looked horrid, I guess because my pink/cool skin was showing through the worn off spots of warm foundation. The last 2 days, I've been wearing the cool and instead of looking horrid when it wears off in a spot it just looks like it needs to be touched up. All these years, I've thought makeup just didn't suit me and made me look worse (well, it did, but now I know why). I've actually felt rather pretty the last 2 days and keep putting it on. Before, I had to make it a challenge goal to put on makeup if you are leaving the house, but now, I've been wearing it in the house just because it actually looks good. :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Magdalena Ravenclaw said:

It is beyond ironic that I spent my entire adult life (from teens till late 30's) at 150-155 pounds and felt fat and now all I want to do is get back to that weight because I now recognize it was not fat and I want to fit in my clothes again. 

Tell me about it. I spent so much hate on my body when it was 50kg. Then I got up 70kg. I thought I had to get back down to at least 60kg before I could even think about liking myself, but weightlifting has kinda changed that for me and I don't mind me so much now. 

53 minutes ago, Magdalena Ravenclaw said:

The makeup has really made a difference. @Scaly Freak, I figured out what the harshness/garrish thing was: as the day goes on, and makeup wears off -- that's when it looked horrid, I guess because my pink/cool skin was showing through the worn off spots of warm foundation. The last 2 days, I've been wearing the cool and instead of looking horrid when it wears off in a spot it just looks like it needs to be touched up. All these years, I've thought makeup just didn't suit me and made me look worse (well, it did, but now I know why). I've actually felt rather pretty the last 2 days and keep putting it on. Before, I had to make it a challenge goal to put on makeup if you are leaving the house, but now, I've been wearing it in the house just because it actually looks good. :)

Yes. This is why (if I wear makeup at all) I wear subtle stuff that won't be noticeable if it comes off: a foundation powder and blush, mostly. I really hate it when bright lipsticks wear off and leave different patches of colour, so I tend to not wear lipstick, or wear it as a stain, or wear a sheer colour or something close to natural. 

10 hours ago, Magdalena Ravenclaw said:

The makeup has really made a difference. @Scaly Freak, I figured out what the harshness/garrish thing was: as the day goes on, and makeup wears off -- that's when it looked horrid, I guess because my pink/cool skin was showing through the worn off spots of warm foundation. 

Yeah, that would be one of the main reasons why foundation needs to match the skin it covers. :) 

As for colors of makeup vs colors of clothing and how to pick what works and what doesn't... @Harriet is right it all comes down to preference. The kind of color theory that tries to sort our genetic color schemes into seasons was super-popular when I was in high school. I read the book, dismissed it as idiotic, and have not cared about it since. The truth is that we look good in the colors and styles that we like to wear. If you're comfortable in a long straight skirt, it will look good on you. 

There are principles of colors and shapes that we can use to create certain visual effects, the most obvious one is contouring the face. Contouring works on the principle that dark areas recede into the background while lighter colored areas draw the eye. So if you brush a darker shade into the hollows of your cheeks and pat a highlighter onto the apples of your cheeks, you can make your cheekbones look more prominent. Does that mean this is the correct way to use shades and highlighter? Does this mean that every face shape looks the same if you do this? No, and no. It's a technique. How or if a person uses it, is entirely up to them. 

The above applies to what colors and styles of clothes as well. Skinny jeans makes the curves of our hips and butt more obvious. The effect this produces depends entirely on what the shapes of those curves are in the first place. Simple as that. :) 

• Like 1

Book Riot Challenge 2021

On 9/11/2020 at 12:15 AM, Harriet said:

I really hate it when bright lipsticks wear off and leave different patches of colour, so I tend to not wear lipstick, or wear it as a stain, or wear a sheer colour or something close to natural. 

Oh my gosh, this is the exact reason that even when I did wear makeup I never wore lipstick. BUT I recently found this stuff and it really does work. Eating, drinking, whatever, it doesn't come off (well, I haven't attempted a heavy makeup session). Also, when it does start to fade (hours later), it fades evenly, no patchiness at all. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BPC62Y

So I finally did it -- I am out of the 160's at 159.8. Or at least I was Saturday morning. I did have a few drinks last night, so intentionally avoided the scale this morning. I would like to shoot for about 145 by Christmas (and possibly 135 at some point) but if all I can maintain is 149-153 (my "normal" weight), then that is fine. In my 30's, I took up figure skating and got under 135 (and maintained that for about a year and half). It is highly recommended that you do not practice jumps on the ice at anything over 135 because you don't want more than that weight coming down on one knee. So, if I can't get back down to that weight, I won't be able to resume figure skating (or at least, I can never advance past level 2 I think it is, and there are 10 levels, so, not much of a point, really). But at this point with school and a toddler and preschooler, I don't have the time anyway. 

And I really am happy with my normal weight. In fact, I actually bought myself some really nice clothes this weekend that will still fit me even if when I do successfully lose another few pounds including a classic black trench. It is soooo cool. I also bought myself some lounging around the house clothes that are comfortable but are actual clothes that I can just slip on a pair of boots to run errands and look put together instead of hiding in my black pants and black hoodie. I wore one of my new outfits to church today and the pastor's wife asked me if I was headed for an interview afterwards. It's pathetic how poorly I dressed I was prior to all this reading tons of wardrobe/style books over the past few weeks. More to the point, it's pathetic how poorly I treated myself, that I hated myself because of my weight so much that I basically tried to be invisible for the past 4+ years.

But hopefully that is all behind me. I'm adulting now. My house is clean. I have nice clothes. I don't hate my weight. And I finally feel pretty in makeup. Hopefully this means 2021 will be amazing.  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Magdalena Ravenclaw said:

Oh my gosh, this is the exact reason that even when I did wear makeup I never wore lipstick. BUT I recently found this stuff and it really does work. Eating, drinking, whatever, it doesn't come off (well, I haven't attempted a heavy makeup session). Also, when it does start to fade (hours later), it fades evenly, no patchiness at all. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BPC62Y

Fixative? How does it work? Not that I'm going to use it because I've been going more minimalist in my makeup purchasing and wearing recently and it feels like the right move for me. But I'm curious. I use fixative on pastels, but how would it work, on, say, a creamy lipstick??

2 minutes ago, Magdalena Ravenclaw said:

But hopefully that is all behind me. I'm adulting now. My house is clean. I have nice clothes. I don't hate my weight. And I finally feel pretty in makeup. Hopefully this means 2021 will be amazing.  

Nice! May the successes continue! 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Magdalena Ravenclaw said:

And I really am happy with my normal weight.

Official impressive level up. Seriously. This is so very difficult to achieve and you've done it. Bragging rights!

• Like 1

Book Riot Challenge 2021

20 hours ago, Harriet said:

Fixative? How does it work? Not that I'm going to use it because I've been going more minimalist in my makeup purchasing and wearing recently and it feels like the right move for me. But I'm curious. I use fixative on pastels, but how would it work, on, say, a creamy lipstick??

Thanks. And I don't know how it works, I just know it does, lol. 

• Like 1

So 2 things.

1) Been going through my closet, and I mean really going through it by trying absolutely everything I own on, and then asking myself if I would REALLY even wear it. I've probably collected 3+ bags now of donations. But in my closet clearing out, I found a box of "fat" clothes. Obviously, I had forgotten I had it this past year since many of them may have fit me, but what I really noticed is that it was a box of black, shapeless. And I just though how sad, that if for whatever reason, I ended up gaining 30 pounds again and went to get that box, I would have clothes that practically screamed what I thought I was now worth. It would not have been an oh, thank goodness I have something that flatters me at this weight so I can look nice tonight at ________________. It was, you don't deserve to look nice and may as well not go at all because these clothes will just make you look even worse than you are. 

So, I chucked every ugly thing in that box and replaced them with a few flattering pieces (a wrap dress, a pair of XL black slacks, and a few flowing blouses). I hope that if I ever have to open that box that those outfits will remind me that I still have worth, that I can still look beautiful, and that I am still me . . . just heavier. I mean, for crying out loud, I usually gain weight due to stress eating which means something rather traumatic has happened (like in 2019 that spawned this last weight gain) so the last thing I need is to open a box from my thinner self telling me how horrid I look. 

2) The entire project has been put on hold due to a rather large fuzzy brown spot of mold on the ceiling in the corner. I hadn't noticed it because there is a shelf there and I had a rather large box on that shelf. I was going to fix it today but I am feeling rather light headed so suspect I am getting the cold that the kiddos have had since the weekend. And spraying bleach or borax and vinegar over my head followed by scrubbing over my head did not feel like the thing to do. So, tomorrow maybe, if I feel better (though I suspect if the cold is just coming on, I will feel worse). 

Overall though, building a capsule wardrobe has been a lot of fun. I have a list of a few pieces that need to fill in the gaps, which means I'm must less likely to buy something I don't need since I actually know what I do need. It's weird but it's like I didn't realize there was a middle ground between looking like a slop and completely dressed up. For instance I don't have (nor have I ever owned) a pair of nice dress shoes that were flats. So if I don't feel like wearing heels (which I rarely do, especially toting around 2 kids under 5 and a diaper bag), I wear sneakers and sweat pants. Because who is going to wear tailored pants with sneakers or flip flops? So the books were talking about loafers and I had to google loafer just to see what it was, and my first reaction was why would I buy that when I could wear heels, and then FINALLY it occurred to me, so you can look nice AND be comfortable!!! So you can walk out of the house wearing a fitted blazer and comfy slacks and look good rather than like a slob! Goodness, I'm 42 years old and just figuring this out. Ugh!

Whatever. At least I will look nice from here on out. Well, I will after I go shopping for loafers, lol.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Magdalena Ravenclaw said:

So, I chucked every ugly thing in that box and replaced them with a few flattering pieces (a wrap dress, a pair of XL black slacks, and a few flowing blouses). I hope that if I ever have to open that box that those outfits will remind me that I still have worth, that I can still look beautiful, and that I am still me . . . just heavier.

This is a brilliant idea. Are you planning to add accessories of any kind that only go well with those specific outfits, as well? That you can have a pleasant surprise to cheer you up when you find them in the box. (It would totally work for me. Self-Indulgence now wants me to do something like this.)

Shoes with high heels are great if you're not planning to be on your feet at all during the day. If you are going to stand or walk a lot, flat shoes, or shoes with a low heel, are much kinder to the feet. The foot wear industry has finally realized that if women are given a choice, we will happily spend money on shoes that combine shiny and pretty, with comfortable. There is an exponentially better selection of flat shoes out there than there was just 5-6 years ago, and it's still growing. 

And obviously you should refuse to settle for flat shoes that fail to make you do a double-take and go,  "Oh wow, these look great on me!", just because they are comfortable. Shoes that don't make you feel beautiful and confident when you wear them, do not deserve to go home with you. :) 

• Like 1

Book Riot Challenge 2021

3 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

This is a brilliant idea. Are you planning to add accessories of any kind that only go well with those specific outfits, as well? That you can have a pleasant surprise to cheer you up when you find them in the box. (It would totally work for me. Self-Indulgence now wants me to do something like this.)

Thank you! 

No, I didn't add accessories, but mainly because what I kept matches style & color the capsule wardrobe I am building, so my regular shoes and jewelry will go. But if you have accessories to particular outfits for yours, that sounds amazing. Let me know if you make yourself a box. Does you weight fluctuate a lot? I don't know anyone in person whose weight changes as much as mine, lol. Or at least, I don't notice it on others. 

3 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

And obviously you should refuse to settle for flat shoes that fail to make you do a double-take and go,  "Oh wow, these look great on me!", just because they are comfortable. Shoes that don't make you feel beautiful and confident when you wear them, do not deserve to go home with you. :) 

Oh definitely. I was about to order several pairs off Amazon today and realized that I couldn't see the inside (to see if it was padded). Scrolled down to the customer photos and sure enough they were flat and hard looking inside. So these are something I will definitely go to a store to find. :)

18 minutes ago, Magdalena Ravenclaw said:

Does you weight fluctuate a lot? I don't know anyone in person whose weight changes as much as mine, lol. Or at least, I don't notice it on others. 

I don't actually know what I weigh, so that is hard for me to answer. :) 

I know that my shape and size changes quite a bit as life circumstances around me change. When pandemic quarantine started I lost access to the vending machines at work, and my jeans became much loser in the waist, and fitted t-shirts became more flattering, despite the lack of gym access.

Then I lost access to a functioning kitchen  and had to live on take-out food and the jeans became uncomfortably tight again. So I started practising strict portion control and re-limited snacking. The jeans are gradually becoming looser again, and my body feels better. And the shorts that fit me well last summer are now so loose I need a belt if I'm going to wear them in public. 

Book Riot Challenge 2021

8 hours ago, Magdalena Ravenclaw said:

what I really noticed is that it was a box of black, shapeless. And I just though how sad, that if for whatever reason, I ended up gaining 30 pounds again and went to get that box, I would have clothes that practically screamed what I thought I was now worth. It would not have been an oh, thank goodness I have something that flatters me at this weight so I can look nice tonight at ________________. It was, you don't deserve to look nice and may as well not go at all because these clothes will just make you look even worse than you are. 

So, I chucked every ugly thing in that box and replaced them with a few flattering pieces (a wrap dress, a pair of XL black slacks, and a few flowing blouses). I hope that if I ever have to open that box that those outfits will remind me that I still have worth, that I can still look beautiful, and that I am still me . . . just heavier. I mean, for crying out loud, I usually gain weight due to stress eating which means something rather traumatic has happened (like in 2019 that spawned this last weight gain) so the last thing I need is to open a box from my thinner self telling me how horrid I look. 

Yay! You deserve kindness and clothing that works for you at any weight. 

Ugh. So here is a pic of the brown fuzzy spot. Like you all really need to see it, hahaha.

Spoiler

mold.jpg

mold2.jpg

The reason I hadn't noticed it before now was there was a rather large box on that shelf in that corner that blocked the ceiling from view. Anyway,  I scraped all the way down to the dry wall and continued scraping until it was just white. I'm assuming I got it all. Now it's primed. Just waiting to for that to dry so I can paint and then I can put all the clothes back in again. Which is good, because they are covering the bed and we have no where to sleep. 

So, when I don't come on here a lot it means lots of stuff getting accomplished at home. But it also means lack of adult conversation. Ugh.

The remodel will be done this weekend -- yay!!!

Potty training is going horribly. He absolutely refuses to go poo. I even withheld milk (he lives for drinking "blue milk" -- milk in his blue elephant cup). He probably drinks 6 cups a day. It's his version of coffee. I told him he could have blue milk if he squished out just one baby poo. He looked right at me without any sadness and said "later." And of course, all day long, it was "later." So he actually went the entire day without any blue milk. 

Still haven't lifted any weights. Just haven't gotten to it. It's very difficult to figure out a routine I can get into the habit of actually doing. More on this in next post.

However, I have successfully kept my weight under 160 despite eating out several times (eating low carb makes me crave breaded chicken sandwiches, french fries, and honey mustard). And I have dressed in clothes appropriate to leave the house in EVERY SINGLE day. In fact, I have banned myself from my hoodie. Some days I wear makeup, some days I don't, but I'm dressed and my hair is done. So whether I add makeup to the mix, I still look put together and not like an adult who doesn't know how to adult. So all in all this challenge has been rather successful. We leave for the cabin this upcoming Wednesday. So excited. So really hoping neither of us get the cold the boys have had all week. That would suck to be sick on vacation.