Cabin Challenge

So am reading a book called Atomic Habits, and oddly enough, he mentions Nerd Fitness Rebellion. Did everyone know that already??? That must have been some pretty good publicity as it's a best seller. 

Anyway . . . it's not groundbreaking, but I do like the 2-min suggestion -- do the first part of a new habit for 2 minutes and then you can stop. So, for instance, if I want to workout EVERY day (well, 6 days a week), then at the same time of day that I want to start working out, I get into workout clothes and sneakers. You then build onto it from there. Obviously it would take much longer before you were actually doing a workout, BUT the goal is not to actually workout, the goal is to create an autopilot habit of working out. Does that make sense?

So my idea is this -- I'm going to spend the rest of 2020 working on creating the habit. 

The rest of this challenge (when I get back from the cabin): Put on my sneakers, put the barbell in the proper place for upper or lower workout (depending on the day), and do 1 set. Mon/Wed/Fri: Squat and Bulgarian Split Squat & Tues/Thurs/optional Sat): Deadlift, bench press, overhead press.  If I feel like doing a second set of reps, fine. If not, I'm done. The goal is to eventually move up to 3-4 sets, but I don't care if that takes me till the end of the year. Lifting 1 set is better than lifting 0 sets. 

Next, I sit on the couch (still in workout wear) and watch a 10 min cardio video (Mon/Wed/Fri) or a 12 min yoga video (Tues/Thurs). If I want to get up and do it/part of it, that's fine. If I just want to sit there and watch, that's fine too. But I HAVE to sit there and watch it. The 10-12 minutes after lifting MUST be devoted to me in the room, in workout clothes, doing nothing but watching (or performing) the video. 

That's it. That's my plan for the rest of the 2020 challenges. Hopefully it doesn't sound stupid, lol. I don't even care my weight does in the meantime (as long as it stays under 160). I will keep meal prepping since that def makes it much easier to not eat out. 

The hardest part is going to be figuring out a realistic time period to start doing the workouts. It's only 20 minutes, but I'm not a morning person and my morning (before the kids get up) are dedicated to my coffee and silence.  I am not giving that up. The best idea would be fine something that would safely occupy them for 30 minutes with the least chance of fighting so I'm not interrupted. Maybe a 30 minute learning video on my laptop. 

• Like 1
44 minutes ago, Magdalena Ravenclaw said:

So am reading a book called Atomic Habits, and oddly enough, he mentions Nerd Fitness Rebellion. Did everyone know that already??? That must have been some pretty good publicity as it's a best seller. 

Anyway . . . it's not groundbreaking, but I do like the 2-min suggestion -- do the first part of a new habit for 2 minutes and then you can stop. So, for instance, if I want to workout EVERY day (well, 6 days a week), then at the same time of day that I want to start working out, I get into workout clothes and sneakers. You then build onto it from there. Obviously it would take much longer before you were actually doing a workout, BUT the goal is not to actually workout, the goal is to create an autopilot habit of working out. Does that make sense?

Yeah, I read atomic habits and it was very interesting. I tried breaking habits into tiny bits for me, but it didn't work. It was low effort, but also too low significance/low result to motivate me. Apparently it works for most people, though, so its great that you're doing it. 

2 minutes ago, Harriet said:

Apparently it works for most people, though, so its great that you're doing it. 

Well, not sure it will work, but am going to give it a shot. I think the low results are why reward yourself, to make it satisfying. Which reminds me that i didn't set myself a reward for sitting there to watch the cardio or yoga video. Hmmm. Chocolate would probably be self-defeating, lol.

• Like 1

So had my dr. appt today, and  . . . yes, I am allowed to lift!

Not because there is no lifting restrictions from my surgery (there are, technically, 30 pounds), but because she could tell I was determined, and because 1) my kegals are strong, 2) I do kegals correctly, and 3) as an added bonus, my uterus is tilted backwards (which caused extra discomfort/pain during pregnancy and delivery) but which conveniently acts as an additional barrier of protection. So I have to do a kegal whenever I lift the weight, but she thinks I should be fine, though of course, she can guarantee nothing.

So . . . yay!!!!

• Like 1
  • That's Metal 2

So I actually did lift today. Technically, my 2 minute job (see previous post) was just to go downstairs and set up the barbell for lower body. I ended up doing 1 set of 9 reps of squats (at 50 lbs, it's been awhile since I lifted). At which point, I heard the boys fighting, so i went back upstairs and settle them down. I then did Bulgarian split squats on the living room couch (since I haven't mastered the balance enough yet to add weights). the point is, I did more than my 2 min habit setting goal, so I'm counting that as a win. :)

For anyone not wanting to go back a few posts, my goal(s) for the rest of the year is to simply create the habit of daily allocating time to working out, which means 1) I dress in workout clothes and sneakers EVERY day and do 1 rep of weights and then sit and watch a 10 min video of HITT cardio (mon/wed/fri) or a 12 min yoga video (Tues/Thurs). I do nothing but watch, i.e. not drink coffee, play on my laptop, etc. If I get up and do the workout, that's a bonus, but I have to at least sit and watch the video every day so that the time is allocated to cardio or yoga whether I do it or not (this is based on the book Atomic Habits). 

PS: I did not do the watch the video part today as I am going on vacation in less than a week and will start that part when I get back. 

• That's Metal 2
8 hours ago, Magdalena Ravenclaw said:

So I actually did lift today. Technically, my 2 minute job (see previous post) was just to go downstairs and set up the barbell for lower body. I ended up doing 1 set of 9 reps of squats (at 50 lbs, it's been awhile since I lifted). At which point, I heard the boys fighting, so i went back upstairs and settle them down. I then did Bulgarian split squats on the living room couch (since I haven't mastered the balance enough yet to add weights). the point is, I did more than my 2 min habit setting goal, so I'm counting that as a win. :)

Absolutely a win! Well done.

• Like 1

So I did finally break out the 160's and hit 157 before we left for the cabin but I'm pretty sure by the time we returned I was 160-something again. And I know I still am, but I refuse to get on the scale because I know it will only discourage me. 

Another win is I believe the 4 year old is as potty-trained as he is going to be for now. He's been dry with no accidents for several days now. Possibly even a week. The problem is he does not take the initiative to sit on the potty, I have to remember every few hours to tell him. He also now holds his poo until he is in his nighttime diaper. He used to have 2 movements a day and he somehow now holds it, lol. The only thing is he only uses his potty chair so I'm going to have to come up with an incentive to use a regular toilet while we are out or I'm going to have to put him in pullups. But after a week in underwear without accidents, I really don't want to have to do that. So that will be for the next challenge. 

On 9/7/2020 at 7:55 PM, Magdalena Ravenclaw said:

If the goals of my prior challenge (Quest for Sanity) had included remodel the guest bathroom, Master Bedroom, and Master Bathroom in my attempt to achieve sanity, it would have been a complete success. I have maybe one day left of little touch ups and they will be complete. The very last thing to arrive will be the new bedding (due 14-16th). I also went on an extreme minimalist kick in the kitchen and now having almost nothing in the kitchen that is not used on a daily (or at the very least, weekly) basis. And, I've even been keeping on top of it almost every night so I can wake up to completely bare counter tops every single morning. That, for me, is sanity.

Also did a minimalist thing in kids' room, my bedroom, and the laundry room. Even my wardrobe. (Again.)

So, this challenge is very simple:

#1. Get under 160 before October 1 (when we leave for a one-week 10-year anniversary getaway in a cabin with a hot tub in the woods). 

#2. Keep the entire upstairs spotless (living, dining, kitchen, laundry room, kids' room, master bedroom, master bathroom). 

#3. Potty Train (take 4)

#4. Finish up non-fiction project that has January deadline (4a), so I can finish up the fiction project that has November deadline (4b).

#1 Success, except that I've already undid it, lol. Will add this to next challenge. 

#2 Success, most days. 

#3 As realistic a success as possible considering he is autistic and very resistant to potty-training (see above post). 

#4 Not a success, will add this to next challenge.