• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Vidd

Vidd Becomes Agile like Arrow

Hey Rebels, here we go again, third challenge on Nerd Fitness! For those of you who followed my second challenge, you'll know I had some setbacks and came to the realization that I wanted my third challenge to be a building block into something greater. This is going to be a period where I take a break from chasing what looks shiny and instead put in the work that needs to get done to set me up for success in the long term. I'm going to focus this challenge on agility If you notice from the clip below, Oliver Queen wastes no time in immediately setting up base in his lair. He arrives with only two bags of supplies and efficiently sets up base in no time. I want to enhance my capacity to get more done, in less time. And I'm going to break this goal down into 3 goals with bonus objectives.

Goal #1 Build an Agile Mind and Body - The primary marker of success with this goal will be 3.5 hours of flexibility/yoga per week, or, 30 minutes a day. My intent is 30 minutes a day but since I am setting a weekly number, this allows me to spend a full hour on one day, if I know life will get in the way the next. The second part of this goal has to do with getting my mind right, and the best way I've found to do that is to declutter it and get nagging errands done that I keep putting off. I plan to do 2-3 of these errands a week and the most critical being dentist/eye/general check up appointments before year end.

Goal #2 Become Technologically Efficient - As we see from the video, Oliver is very proficient in technology setting up all of his computer's with relative ease. I work as an accountant as of last December and have noticed that some of my peers have an advantage over me when it comes to their knowledge of excel. I plan to spend at minimum, 2 hours a week studying an Excel for Accountants free course, from a youtuber named ExcelIsFun. This should up my work capacity at my job and allow me to stand out more for future promos. BONUS: Upgrade my computer alone. I spend a lot of time gaming on computer's but know nothing about upgrading them. My little brother used to always help out, but he is still social distancing at my dad's place and isn't around like he used to be. To run newer games I've come to the realization I'm going to need more RAM, and also upgrade to an SSD. I know nothing about any of this and am scared the moment I take my PC apart I won't be able to get it running again, so I'm going to need to do my homework before I attempt.

Goal #3 Reestablish my Base - This is just a fancy way of saying I need to clean my living condition and set it up in a way that lends itself to success. There is an article on this site about building your bat cave and I plan to use it for inspiration/ideas. I need to make sure things are always clean enough for me to get in an ab workout, or to get into a yoga position at home. I also want to be agile in the sense of being able to travel lighter and be able to change locations with relative ease. This is because I'm reaching a point financially where I don't need to live with friends or family anymore(Currently living with family). If I were to try to move out I'd simply have too much stuff currently. So I will dedicate 2 hours a week to this goal or, roughly 15-20 min/day. BONUS: Prepare for Winter. This may involve building a pull up bar, or it may involve purchasing winter workout gear to continue my bodyweight workouts in the park but this weather is going to sneak up on me before I know it, so now is the time to get thinking.

So in total I am committing to an extra 7.5 hours a week to these goals per week. I think I can make this work and I hope this challenge allows me to bounce back and position myself in a good way. I will continue my bodyweight workouts over in my battle log and still be chasing those strength goals like I always do. Even though this challenge is a bit of a step back, it's also going to require a lot of self discipline. Thank you to all who read this and good luck with your challenges as well :)

• Like 4

You should video chat with your brother while you install new components for your PC. IT WOULD BE PRECIOUS FAMILY BONDING TIME! 

• Like 1

@Asa Pond That song is disturbingly catchy haha

I may consider the video chatting idea if he isn't too busy with his class work, that's a great idea :)  It won't be the same as him being able to get hands on with the computer but, gotta make do!

Alright so today is finally my bday that I was talking about last challenge. I plan to visit with friends, enjoy the day, but tomorrow it's time to get after this challenge and start this new decade off on the right foot. I've spent a full week off of working out just to fully rest up my foot. I'm going to add a side goal to this challenge and that's don't get re-injured. This whole getting injured thing needs to stop being a theme in these challenges of mine lol.

I picked a great time to take a week off from working out as well. Whenever I look outside it's as if a thick fog has set in, but it's really just all the smoke from the fires that have been impacting WA state. The air quality has recently dipped into 'Very unhealthy' territory. I've been keeping the windows closed, but things have been smelling like a burnt barbecue for days now. I may do a workout indoors with the bands if I'm really feeling it, but until some of this smoke is swept out of the area I won't be making it to the park for my resistance workouts. Anyway I'll be back soon with another update :)

• Like 1

Hey all,

The challenge is starting off strong despite the situation going on in my area. We've hit dangerous levels of air pollution where even just a few minutes outside can cause serious harm...

image.png.957a64a97e0d5086d3a0b1d5aa0de133.png

Workouts have been on hold, but not my challenge goals. I did take Sunday off because I wasn't feeling great after my birthday celebration on Saturday(lol). Here is the progress of the day:

Goal #1 - I got in my 30 minutes of flexibility training. This was total body both upper and lower. The time flew actually because I was also researching on my smart phone while doing my static stretches. I've been reading up on technology as part of my side quest in goal#2 and I'm fascinated by the new graphics cards coming out this fall. It may be that I decide to work over time to save up for a brand new PC and actually be ahead of the curve for once. It would be epic to be able to play Cyberpunk 2077 all on ultra high. Also I made my first doctor's appointment during one of my 15 minute breaks scheduled for Thursday afternoon. Weekly progress: 0.5/3.5 hours 1/3 errands

Goal #2 - No excel course today, this is going to be more of a once or twice a week thing where I set out a chunk of time to dig into this. The further ahead I can get on my other goals the easier it'll be to fit this in.

Goal #3 - I crushed this goal today and did an hour of cleaning. I filled a big bag of trash and got the majority of my clothes washed. I was feeling very productive today and so as I was doing the cleaning I would write down on a list any errand that needed to get done into a small notepad to organize all that needs to get done. All in all I've already on Monday, reached 50% completion of this week's reestablishment of my command center... or base, I'm starting to think command center sounds even better, especially if I do end up getting a new gaming rig :D Weekly progress 1/2 hours

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Vidd said:

We've hit dangerous levels of air pollution where even just a few minutes outside can cause serious harm...

I think the "serious" here may be a little bit exaggerated.  Having lived with 200+ for days on end year after year, I can say that there is an effect but not something that your body won't be able to process out again, especially if it only for a few minutes.  That said, you are probably better off avoiding it if possible.

• Like 1

Hey all, quick update on the goals.

I did an at-home band workout that I'm about to cover over in my battle log, but other than that, here is my progress so far this week on my goals:

Goal #1: I've fit in another half hour of flexibility training putting me at 1/3.5 hours for the week so far. I think tomorrow if I can find the time I'm going to do a yoga routine because just doing regular stretching the 30 min sometimes can take ages.

Goal #2: I'm saving excel for the weekend I've decided. After a long day of work I kind of just want some time to chill or do something active like my stretching or a workout.

Goal #3: I tossed in another 15 min today so that puts me at 75min/120min. I've already made some solid progress but a long ways to go on reestablishing my base.

It's late so after I do my workout update I'm rushing off to bed which explains why this is a little more rushed than usual :D

• Like 4

On 9/7/2020 at 10:02 PM, Vidd said:

BONUS: Upgrade my computer alone. I spend a lot of time gaming on computer's but know nothing about upgrading them. My little brother used to always help out, but he is still social distancing at my dad's place and isn't around like he used to be. To run newer games I've come to the realization I'm going to need more RAM, and also upgrade to an SSD. I know nothing about any of this and am scared the moment I take my PC apart I won't be able to get it running again, so I'm going to need to do my homework before I attempt.

RAM and hard drives are (usually) designed to be easy to upgrade regardless of whether you have a laptop or desktop. RAM especially often just clicks in and out. The guides here are super helpful. Just make sure you disconnect the battery before you start messing around if you have a laptop, and remember to hook it back up at the end. :) The hardest part IMO is getting your data backed up and transferring it between the old drive and new drive. You've got this!

• Like 1

Hello everyone, hope you're all crushing your challenges. This is a day late, but it's time to tally up my week 1 totals.

Goal #1: 3hrs/3.5 weekly total stretching. This is a great start for week 1, and this week I'm going to really shoot to be more consistent on the daily stretching. It is way easier if I keep it to the 30 minute sessions each day versus trying to do an hour of stretching. 2/2 errands done. One appointment down, and I also cashed a bunch of checks I kept putting off. I still have plenty of appointments to get done so tomorrow during one of my 15 minute breaks I'm going to start calling the doctor offices.

Goal #2: 1hr/2 weekly total excel training. Argh I knew this one would be the bane of my existence. The last thing I want to do after work or even on the weekend is study Excel. But in order to level up I need to commit to this...more on that later.

Goal #3: 2hr/2 weekly total base building. I knocked this one out of the park. I've also in this past week created a master list of things to get done. I'm realizing this goal may start to blur with the 'errands' secondary in goal #1 but ah well.

Okay with the exception of goal #3, I either fell short a little, or quite a lot. I think it is important that I keep the promises I make to myself, so week 2 of my challenge is going to roll-over. So for example since I did not fulfill my excel training I have three hours to do this week. And for stretching I'll do 4 hours. Goal #3 since I aced that one, it'll just be the normal 2 hours. I really appreciate everyone following along on this challenge. I'll be back later with another update :) Tomorrow I'll also have a workout update in the battle log... it's supposed to rain heavy tomorrow so it could get interesting.

• Like 2

Could you do a little bit of the excel training in the morning and the rest at night? That way it isn't such a big chore post-work?

Are you just stretching on your own or are you using a program?

• Like 1

That's a really good idea on doing some in the morning. It could get my brain ready for work too. First I need to get myself to bed.

Stretching I have been either doing it on my own or a routine on youtube from a channel called doyogawithme with an instructor named David Prochysn. I don't have a lot of structure yet on this. My goals are especially lower body flexibility. My hamstrings are incredibly tight from all the sitting I do each day.

• Like 2

Hey everyone, another quick update on my progress.

I've taken care of an eye doctor appointment so that's another one down. I'll need to set up my dentist appointment next, and then a physical for work health insurance and I should have all of this off my plate before year-end.

My stretching has been great. I reached my goal this past week and I feel like doing this consistently is giving me more awareness of my body than ever before. I am learning where I'm tight, where I've got pains, and while progress has been slow, when you think about how long it took me to get this inflexible, I can't expect any miracles. But I will say already I do feel more agile just in my day to day life. Prior to this lock down, back in my gym days I was so immobile I almost never bended down to do anything. I would do a squat, just to pick stuff up it was bad. I also don't often think of my upper body as being inflexible. I always focus on the common areas like low back and hamstrings, but I did a short yoga video that focused on the upper extremities and it was eye opening.

My excel learning is still not where I want it to be. My job has been wearing me down. It's so intense that I leave work just wiped out. I'm not even going to say how many hours I got of excel because it's...bad. Basically I'm giving my work my all, and then some, and a part of this is because a coworker of mine tipped me off that my boss is thinking about me being next in line for a promotion.

Now onto goal #3, base building. This has turned more into defending my base due to a recent invasion in the command center. Ants are everywhere and I'm doing all I can to stop them from gaining a foothold. They're in the kitchen, my work station, even my bedroom. But I will win this war. If you don't hear from me in a week again...send help :D On a more practical note I am still making progress on cleaning things up, knocking out errands and while I'm not performing challenge #3 to perfection, that wasn't the point anyway. This is time for myself to recover and recuperate. I'm suffering some major burnout and need to just chip away at these boring, but necessary life tasks.

• Like 3

Evening everyone,

I'm really enjoying the weather here in WA. There has been a thick fog with fall leaves scattered everywhere. The air is cool, but I wouldn't say cold. And gradually I'm beginning to reclaim the park as my own as those who only come out for the sun have retreated back indoors. This has allowed me to resume my training uninterrupted. I've even started to chip away at some of the front lever progressions that I tried to do back in challenge 2 which has me excited about my training again. As those of you who have followed my threads for awhile, I was pretty bummed at having limited access to the park so this'll be great while it lasts :)

Another week has gone by and my living area is looking better than it has in a long time. This has been a nice laid back challenge so far. I was able to stop the ant invasion from last week and discovered what the cause was. I recently decided to start trying out Mountain Dew Game Fuel while playing competitive games and for whatever reason they are drawn like mad to my Gamefuel cans... I probably shouldn't be drinking those anyway lol.

Flexibility training has also been going well. Except for my hamstrings they're truly a mystery to me still. My suspicion is they're over-compensating for an injury I had a year or two ago that I got while squatting. The thing is though, I don't feel much of the effects of that injury any longer so why the hamstrings refuse to become more flexible I do not know. I notice I have little to no strength when it comes to lifting my leg up in front of me be it a hanging leg raise, or the off-leg when I do pistol squats. I wonder if actually doing static holds where I hold my leg out in front of me, as high as I can, should actually be incorporated into my training. On rest days perhaps.

I still have a couple appointments to get to before this challenge is over, and of course, I'm a little behind on the excel but the fact I'm summoning up the willpower to spend my free time doing excel of all things is an accomplishment in itself. I'll be back soon with another update.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Vidd said:

I'm really enjoying the weather here in WA. There has been a thick fog with fall leaves scattered everywhere. The air is cool, but I wouldn't say cold.

And since you already brought it up... it’s great weather for meat-curing! People care about that, right?

... Right?

1 hour ago, Vidd said:

Flexibility training has also been going well. Except for my hamstrings they're truly a mystery to me still. My suspicion is they're over-compensating for an injury I had a year or two ago that I got while squatting. The thing is though, I don't feel much of the effects of that injury any longer so why the hamstrings refuse to become more flexible I do not know. I notice I have little to no strength when it comes to lifting my leg up in front of me be it a hanging leg raise, or the off-leg when I do pistol squats. I wonder if actually doing static holds where I hold my leg out in front of me, as high as I can, should actually be incorporated into my training.

+1, this is my perennial problem too. And I agree, it seems to be a strength problem. For me, it manifests as general weakness in that position of hip flexion. When I’m standing and trying to flex my hips in order to lift my leg, my hip flexors are weak. When I’m bent over, and trying to use my hamstrings and glutes to extend my hips and straighten up, my hamstrings are weak.

• Like 1

Hey all been awhile!

@PaulG, yeah it's a frustrating problem and I hope I can correct it just by doing more L-sits and leg raises. There's just something not working right with my body if its so difficult just to raise my leg up in front of myself. That shouldn't be the hardest part of the pistol squat but it is for me lol

Alright so quick update. It's no secret this challenge was all about me slowing down some, and taking care of business. Could I of gone at this challenge a little harder? Yes, most definitely. I learned a little bit of excel, but nothing transformative. I got some appointments either done, or at least scheduled. And my living situation was looking real good for a moment but this last week I kind of let things get messy again. All in all, I think I moved forward, even though I also took a few steps back.

As far as general training has been going I recently hit 8 one arm pushups each arm for the first time ever. I'm stoked about this but the rest of my training things have been pretty steady. The big leaps and bounds  I was making when I first began calisthenics have kind of tapered off. Right now I need to think on where I want to take things next. There is still some uncertainty in my training. Weather conditions for training outdoors are no longer as good as they once were, and with rising cases in this pandemic, the gym won't be an option either. But what I do know is I'll find a way to keep pushing forward and getting my workouts in regardless of the situation. So yeah, challenge #3 down, and onto the 4th!

I'm going to use this week to think on it some. Maybe draw some inspiration from what everyone else thinks up :D

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Vidd said:

The big leaps and bounds  I was making when I first began calisthenics have kind of tapered off.

Yeah, nob gains usually don't last all that long.  Just don't do what I do and quit working on things when the noob gains start to level off and then start all over every time.  I'm kind of tired of getting noob gains for things I already used to have in the bag... ;) 

• Like 1