Shotokan learns to train with an open mind

Shotokan

On 10/3/2020 at 5:03 PM, Kishi said:

This. I'm not a fan of overtraining or anything like that, but there's sometimes a disconnect between feedback in the brain and reality in the body. I suspect that the brain on a certain level can either be bored or dissatisfied with what's going on in training and voices its dissatisfaction by making you cognizant of the creak in your joints and the aches and all those things.

A rule of thumb which I've heard and seems useful is to go through a warm up and see how you feel afterward. If you still feel bad, it's good to stop, but if you feel ready and like the feedback is positive, then it's good to get into some training of some kind and see how far the body goes. Sometimes that works out to not very much, but other times it can work out to a full session before you even know it.

I think there is often a disconnect between the brain and body.  I noticed that the times I really don't feel like training or I am stiff, my body takes over and my brain just lets go.  There are other times when my body doesn't want to work but my brain talks it into working.  I lost count of how many days I worked out in a row now, it's somewhere close to 90 I think.  It's becoming more a of a part of life instead of a burden. 

Doug

In search of the ever elusive side thrust kick....

Student of Karate and Iaido

Day twenty one:

Kata before work on a Saturday was definitely needed.  After work came Zoom class and it was tough but not extreme.

953 active calories

86 minutes of training

13 stand hours

Day twenty two:

Another Zoom class.  This class was excellent with more concepts to work on.  Many of the concepts are things that I was told years ago but I am guessing I was not ready to understand them until now.  I have some things to work on that I will take me years to become competent at but that's why I train.

651 active calories

63 minutes of training

12 stand hours

Doug

Day twenty four:

Well, I guess it was time for me to take a break from training.  One Monday, I had my yearly stomach problem that always come right after the weather change here in the Midwest.  Stomach pain, cramps and overall body ache started and I ended up leaving work early to spend the next 14 to 16 hours on my back.  I did get in kata that morning but that was the only workout of the day.

443 active calories

22 minutes of training

9 stand hours

Day twenty five:

Not much better of a day but I did stay home from work and was able to get in some kata late at night.

365 active calories

21 minutes of training

12 stand hours

Day twenty six:

Much better today although I was five pounds lighter today than I was on Monday but I was able to eat again.  Kata this morning felt a little rough but as the day went on and I had some more food it got better.  Tonight was some band work along with a little dumbbell work and my daily numbers are getting back to normal.

680 active calories

32 minutes of training

16 stand hours

• Like 1

Doug

Stupid sickness weight loss! I remember I lost my freshmen 15 in college after a bout with some kind of respiratory problem and then those little bastards came right back!

Anyway, don't feel rushed to get back to pre-sick numbers. Give yourself time to recover, or you may find yourself with some prolonged problems you don't really want.

• Like 1

Day twenty seven:

Getting back in the groove.  A good workout in the morning with some kata and another workout at night with some more kata.

716 active calories

32 minutes of training

16 stand hours

Day Twenty eight:

Another good session in the morning followed with some more kata at night and some bodyweight training.

662 active calories

39 minutes of training

15 stand hours

Day twenty nine:

Saturday was a test of my training up until this point. I had two Zoom classes and a fast paced outdoor walk mowing the lawn.  The Zoom classes pushed me harder than I can remember training in a very long time with lots of kata and basics along with kumite drills.  I need a few more days like this and I think I broke my training record for active calories and training.

1452 active calories

165 minutes of training

12 stand hours

Day thirty:

Mostly recovery from yesterday with some outside yard work, kata at night with dumbbell circuits and some band work.

602 active calories

37 minutes of training

13 stand hours

• Like 1

Doug

5 hours ago, Kishi said:

Test days are interesting days! Was that by design or was it just one of those days where the training gets funny?

It was just one of those days where it all came together.  I knew I had two Zoom classes and even though I have had two before, this time both classes were tough and almost back to back.

• Like 1

Doug

Day thirty one:

Today was the first day of my vacation.  This is my first full week off from work in over five years.  I spent a lot of time doing things that weren't too challenging today but I was able to get in a good workout tonight with some unplanned cardio, dumbbell training, band work and kata. 

610 active calories

83 minutes of training

13 stand hours

• Like 1

Doug

Day thirty one:

I missed day 23 some how so I have two day 31's.

Kata and core work was all but still a good workout.

616 active calories

48 minutes of training

14 stand hours

Day thirty two:

All kata day with some kicks for good measure.

617 active calories

33 minutes of training

13 stand hours

Day thirty three:

This was a mix of workouts all in one.  There was kata, five dumbbell circuits, and core training along with three Grokker workouts.

623 active calories

80 minutes of training

13 stand hours

Day thirty four:

Another mix of workouts with kata in the morning, then the five circuit dumbbell circuit and two Grokker workouts at night.

680 active calories

57 minutes of training

13 stand hours

• Like 1

Doug

On 10/22/2020 at 10:58 PM, Kishi said:

Nice. Looks like this all came together rather well for you.

Yes it did.  I didn't really follow my goals but I had some good training sessions and made some great progress..

• Like 1

Doug