• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Teros

Teros is GLORIOUS (65)

I'm. Feeling. GLORIOUS.

It's been a slow burn to get back to where I was feeling good on the forums.  I've been really trying to make myself come on here more.  And then last challenge it hit me:  Tiger's Blood.

I spent a literal YEAR trying to get whole30 to stick for me.  The last two challenges I was able to resist junk food for a couple days and then revert back and start up again.  I know that whole30 works- it's a fucking BLESSING for me.  It's what allowed me to lost 120+ pounds the first time around (dealing with getting a master's degree and dating dozens of women had me lose that progress).  I knew that if I kept at it and kept at it, I would eventually through sheer dumb luck or stubbornness, finally make it stick.  And it has.  And by god, it's GLORIOUS.  I feel almost manic.  My thoughts are racing. I feel invincible.  There's so much I want to say all at the same time that it makes focusing and typing kind of difficult.

A quick run-down of how the past 6 months have gone:

-6 months ago, covid shut down my cardio at the gym so I started doing dumbbell workouts with 7-8 pound freeweights.  I didn't know what specific weight are for sure since there's no numbers on weights.  The focus was to build repetition and strengthen my connector muscles/joints.  I knew I could do higher weight but doing it *PROPERLY*?  Maybe not.  So to risk injuring myself I dealt with the low weight and concentrated on form.

-3 months ago, the gym opened back up.  I just upgraded my freeweights to a couple of 30-pounds weights. (I built up 30+ reps with the low weights and then upgraded to doing 5 reps of the 30 lb weight.  I figured 30 reps x 7 pounds = 5 reps x 30 pounds.)  With the dumbbell workouts going well, I decided to tag on some cardio at the gym and did some treadmill and then switched to the elliptical (minding my right knee issues and not going *super* hard).

-2 months ago, the whole30 started to stick.  I was going a week at a time without having any crap food prior to this, but maybe chugging some milk (which isn't whole30).  The candy/treats were basically gone but the occasional dairy, granola bar, and potato chips were stubborn.  It finally stuck and I survived whole3 without any cheats for a week, then 2, then 3, until here we are.

Some things I've noticed:

I'm way waaaaay more aware of my posture.  When I lift things up, there is a muscle-memory that has developed where I tense each muscle group in order.  For instance, I had to flip a heavy desk yesterday (the back of the desk was laying on the floor) and I got down into a squatting position and felt my legs tense, I sat back and dipped my hips, and I drove my heels into the ground as I stood up and the desk moved EFFORTLESSLY.  I was psyched out of my mind!

I wanted to see what progress I made weight-wise.  Roughly a week ago, I was looking at myself in the mirror after I got out of the shower and I noticed that I can more consciously flex certain muscles.  I was Hulk Hoganing in the bathroom (a term I just made up).  

Hulk Hogan Flex GIF - HulkHogan Flex America - Discover & Share GIFs

I was able to score a doctor's weight scale from a gym that closed, so no more of that finicky bullshit scale that has fluctuating digital numbers.  I have the real thing: the one where you slide the little weights side to side to find an exact measurement.  In preparation for posting today, I checked my weight and I lost a total of 17 pounds in two challenges! 

So that's where I'm at:  I now do 30 reps of 30 lb dumbbells, I can speed the elliptical for a solid hour and burn 900 calories, and my eating is GLORIOUS.

I feel I'm in a much much much better mental state that I've been in probably 7ish years now.  I was doing great on here 7 years ago and then my master's degree which sucked away my will to live, as well as a gaggle of drama-hoes in dating made me spiral into a depression of binge-eating and anxiety.  To top it all off, the last 6 months of me getting my degree, 5 household pets died and then my mom died on the couch when I had my last semester.  After that, I was wiped for honestly a solid year on here, with my shitty challenges puttering along.  I went through my mom's hoarded garbage from floor to ceiling, started studying for my LCSW exam to become a professional therapist, and got myself back on track.  It's only in the past 5-6ish months that I've starting to pick up speed and right now, I feel like a train barreling 200 mph.  I needed to take care of my mental health first and persist with the physical heath.

Alright, enough jibber jabber. That's where I've been, so what is NEXT?

YOU'RE NEXT

And what I mean by that, is NF is my next focus.  I kept having NF as a goal to be on here and it always fell to the wayside.  As you can see, I'm firing on all cylinders now so it's time for the hype train to barrel through.

(Warning: Loud)

(Artist's dramatic rendition of Teros and NF)

My Challenge:

1- EXAM: Email Eileen AGAIN because I'm playing email-tag about how to submit my records to take this stuuuupid LCSW exam.  Also contact Breah again since she still hasn't given me a letter of recomendation yet.

2- READING: Finish my book:  Hauntings and Poltergeists: Multidisciplinary Perspectives

3- NF:  MORE.  I know goals are supposed to be S.M.A.R.T. (Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic, Trackable) but I don't know yet what is doable so I'll tweak this one.

4- WRITING: Funfact, I've been writing a story.  I almost posted it this challenge because it's a horror rpg for NF (like RPG Fanatics) but I feel I need to iron out a couple plot points so I'm like 98.9% certain that as long as I write some more during this challenge, we can play a little role playing accountability game next challenge in time for Halloween.

5- GLORIOUS: Continue whole30, dumbbells, and elliptical.

Oh, from the past couple days:  I am taking the room that had my mom's consolidated stuff in it and I repacked it more efficiently and I was able to stow it away in my sister's cellar.  There's a little bit left to do so that's kind of a tentative #6 goal is to get that finished.

• Like 11

17 hours ago, Tateman said:

I read the title, and thought "I better see Bobby Roode somewhere" haha :) 

Same, except I sung the title....

Also, I cannot tell you how hyped I am for your story!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Sylvaa said:

Same, except I sung the title....

I won't lie, I did too :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/8/2020 at 10:19 AM, Snarkyfishguts said:

Glad you're feeling good! Woot!

Mostly like this:

Wrestling GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY 

On 9/8/2020 at 11:12 AM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Following along!

Howdy Do !

On 9/8/2020 at 11:31 AM, echoesofwonder said:

I’m cheering from the other side of the ring!

Other side of the ring?  Are you my opponent or are you my manager?

10 Best Female Valets/Managers In WWE History | TheSportster

On 9/8/2020 at 3:34 PM, Tateman said:

"I better see Bobby Roode somewhere"

You did and you shall again.

Bobby Roode GIFs | Tenor

On 9/9/2020 at 9:22 AM, Sylvaa said:

😁

Thaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaanks

21 hours ago, Aquarii said:

You are crushing it!

Bowser pounds into Death Battle! by poketr8ner on DeviantArt 

Thankee

---------

I've been moving boxes and furniture every day after work the past couple of days.  I figured I would have a rest day today, but then I saw the encouragement here from all your loveliles so I went and hit the gym for a bit, did some squats, and then checked on every Adventurer.  I'll probably do a similar thing for the Newbies by the end of the week.

I went food shopping and tomorrow is going to be my batch cooking.  I also got all the dishes done in preparation.  I'm going to hopefully get some pictures of what I end up making and post them at the Adventurer's Tavern as well.   However, there was no damn ground turkey at the store.  How do they run out of THAT of all things?

Oh, I also have a word I want to use:  Bedlamite. Timestamp is olden days for my story.  It means a crazy person/lunatic.  Reminds me of 'bedlam', which means confusion.  I also need to sort out my names/ideas.  I looked at a word doc that had a bunch of notes and I have like 40 character names that I brainstormed one night and I like them all (must be why I saved them- good thinking, past-me).  I'm in an odd space because I don't want to write too little and feel directionless and lose the plot, but I don't want to over-write and have everything already done which would mean you lovelies wouldn't have an impact on the story. I need a flexible backdrop of story, the later the story gets.  That way if things spin off the rails, it's totally fine.

• Like 10

3 hours ago, Teros said:

Other side of the ring?  Are you my opponent or are you my manager?

Yet to be determined...  😉

I think I was thinking I’d be fangirling but... you know...  managing could be a cool gig.

• Like 1

If you want a beta reader let me know, I read something like 300k words of random fanfiction weekly and I'm always down to bounce ideas around if you like :D

• Like 1

Your challenge is ... GLORIOUS!

I'm so glad that over the past half year, your life is slowly but surely settling again and you're getting in a better space again. I'm looking forward to your food-pictures as well :).

• Like 1

On 9/8/2020 at 8:54 PM, Teros said:

4- WRITING: Funfact, I've been writing a story.  I almost posted it this challenge because it's a horror rpg for NF (like RPG Fanatics) but I feel I need to iron out a couple plot points so I'm like 98.9% certain that as long as I write some more during this challenge, we can play a little role playing accountability game next challenge in time for Halloween.

Is this going to be something similar to Bellmyst?

• Like 1

On 9/10/2020 at 10:12 PM, Teros said:

Reminds me of 'bedlam', which means confusion.

Fun fact - it was a hospital. Which still exists!

https://www.slam.nhs.uk/our-services/hospital-care/bethlem-royal-hospital

This is an inspiring challenge. I would defo like to read the story. And more about Whole30. You are at the place I want to be, health wise. So I have a lot to learn from you. Following. :D

• Like 1

Been checking on other people and realized that *I* wasn't posting so here we go:

https://imgur.com/a/KA7ig0Q

This is the Ethiopian food that I made:  Domo Wat

Then this is the Greek Chicken stir fry I made:

https://imgur.com/a/XO9pKc5

Not really seen in the photo too well is the mushrooms, onions, black olives, and diced tomatoes

And finally is the sweet potato shepard's pie

https://imgur.com/a/eVRCUmE

Hopefully they show up.

Past couple days have been really good.  I've been mostly on Cruise Control for Cool.  Today was my 30 min on the elliptical and then sets of dumbbell workout at home.  I talked to my sister and going to call up the garbage disposal to see about getting this gigantic hutch, bureau, and desk out of the living room since I dragged it all out here to finally be thrown out.

I have my original xbox (modded with nes, snes, sega, n64 games on it) in my room and have been messing around with Def Jam: Fight for New York.  Forgot how awesome/aggravating that game is.  Been doing a lot more writing with my off-time as opposed to sitting around and watching twitch/youtube.  I feel like being on here more if definitely helping my mood.  I checked on a bunch of threads with Adventurers so I think tonight I'm going to finally get to my ghost book and I might watch the Mortal Kombat tournament.  I'm thinking after work tomorrow I'll do some creative writing.

On 9/10/2020 at 8:56 PM, echoesofwonder said:

fangirling

Fangirling is totes adorbz.

On 9/12/2020 at 11:17 PM, Leigh said:

If you want a beta reader let me know, I read something like 300k words of random fanfiction weekly and I'm always down to bounce ideas around if you like

Hrm.... let me think about it.  I'm pretty sure I have the loose ideas solidifying a bit more in my head.  I'm trying to decide how do I incorporate a few key ideas into a story.

It's like...imagine if you had a nightmare that was all full of disjointed awful imagery and then you had to try to piece it together to make a scary story:  I'm sort of working backwards like that.  I know what big ideas I have but it's a matter of making them flow together cohesively as opposed to needing more ideas. 

Sadly, I had to scrap a couple of ideas already which BUMS ME THE HELL OUT since they are concepts that I love but I just don't see how they fit into the story without it becoming bloated and nonsensical.  I feel like with horror, you can have 1 or 2 supernatural ideas but if you throw in 6 or 7, it just turns into 'cool' instead since the suspension of disbelief is ruined.  Anyone- thoughts on this?

On 9/14/2020 at 7:15 AM, Waanie said:

Your challenge is ... GLORIOUS!

I'm so glad that over the past half year, your life is slowly but surely settling again and you're getting in a better space again. I'm looking forward to your food-pictures as well :).

Thankeeeeeeee and hopefully the pic uploads work.  Let me know if they don't.

13 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Is this going to be something similar to Bellmyst?

It is in fact going to be that idea only *this* time I know wtf I'm doing lol.  I had some concepts and thought I should just wing it last time but now that I took some more time to mull it over, I know what I want to have happen.

• Like 5

Your pictures show if I click the link, and the food looks delicious :).

I'm glad that you're feeling great at the moment, and that you have such a variation in relaxing activities :D.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Teros said:

I feel like being on here more if definitely helping my mood. 

You and me both man. Feeling very much the same recently.

Food is looking great. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

Keep the rejected ideas. They may fit perfectly in future stories!

Agreed! Turn those little rejected ideas into mini stories, or even just write them down to be prompts for random fiction.

On 9/15/2020 at 3:15 PM, cd667 said:

And more about Whole30.

The easiest way to look at whole30 is to only buy *single* ingredients, meat, fruit, veggies, nuts/seeds, healthy fats.  And axe the rest.  There's more info than just that, so ask away if you have specifics but this is a good place to start.

On 9/15/2020 at 3:34 PM, Waanie said:

I'm glad that you're feeling great at the moment, and that you have such a variation in relaxing activities :D.

It's pretty awesome and I'm glad the links work.  Trying to get photos from my phone onto here is a pain in the ass.

On 9/15/2020 at 3:43 PM, Tateman said:

You and me both man. Feeling very much the same recently.

Food is looking great. 

Brofist GIFs - Get the best gif on GIFER 

On 9/15/2020 at 10:26 PM, Snarkyfishguts said:

Keep the rejected ideas. They may fit perfectly in future stories!

It's good to see you posting, and it's wonderful to see you feeling good. 

+

On 9/16/2020 at 12:00 AM, Leigh said:

Agreed! Turn those little rejected ideas into mini stories, or even just write them down to be prompts for random fiction.

OMG so I was thinking how I didn't want to axe one of the ideas and so I decided to read more about the topic.  Well....fuck me sideways, it turns out that this particular idea was *invented* in the time-period I'm writing about, with an 'old tale' originating just 40 years from the exact date I'm writing my storyline (1665).  Not only that - it originated in GERMANY which is where a character is from.  I sat there reading all of this and was like

Rage Guy (FFFFFUUUUUUUU-) | Know Your Meme now I totally HAVE to have this idea in here

---------------

Alright, I'm having a mind-bending time with reading this book that I'm working on.  It's called:  Hauntings and Poltergeists: Multidisciplinary Perspectives

I'm reading about the theories of ghosts, why they exist in lore, the merit that stories have, etc.  And I'm realizing there is a lot of semantics in it when people tell stories.  For instance, there is a woman who said "it sounded like footsteps" when describing an experience.  The thing is..... lots of things sound like footsteps.  And the implication of it being a ghost was in the other things that the woman said.  Her logical conclusion was that it had to be a ghost.  However, she was given information about a person who died there previously.  That begs to ask the question: if she was ignorant of this, would she have made the same conclusion?

The thing is, ghosts and the mythology behind them is so ingrained in society for hundreds of thousands of years that even if we didn't have knowledge of a 'prior dead owner' at a house, we might still reach the same logical conclusion because of our learning of ghosts.  For instance, people aren't thinking that vampires are real in this day and age - so then why has ghost-related stuff stuck around?  Even if you don't think that there is a vampire in your house, you would know what to do if you wanted to protect yourself;  garlic, crucifix, holy water, etc.  No on reading thing went out of their way to figure out how to ward off vampires:  it has been ingrained cultural knowledge.

So if there was no ingrained cultural knowledge about ghost 'mechanics', then would we logically come to that conclusion?  With deductive reasoning, we are pulling from multiple exmaples to then apply a format for our current example and then fill in the blanks.  If we grew up hearing about knocking on doors and footsteps at 3am in the attic to be ghost mechanics, then if *we* hear a suspicious noise in the attic at 3am at our place, it makes perfect sense to extropolate the ghost mechanics (like a conditional statement:  if knocking and can't see then --> ghost) and apply it to our example.  We hear the odd noise in the house so we will automatically fill in the blanks and create a logical cause->effect, because that makes rational sense.

Have any of you heard of the Krasue?  Or the Penanggalen?  It's a Vietnamese ghost of a disembodied woman's head that still has her entrails and oragans part of her, will fly through the sky at night and eat babies.

The Krasue: a floating head | Horror Amino

I don't talk about it much (though maybe I should) but I'm huge into cryptozoology.  Funfact: there's also an eyeball asshole ghost in Japan.

Shirime | Yokai Wiki | Fandom

Anyways, the point that I'm trying to get to is that the local folklore or social media of the time influenced how people would connect the dots, so to speak.  The same can be said for religion:  general consensus thousands of years ago was that lightning was some sort of diety that was throwing bolts of energy to smite.  So when we get into things like divination and using the flight migration of birds to determine how if a war general has the favor of the gods; it's all compounded guesses that bring about a mythology that is then reinforced over and over as similar stories will strengthen the argument.  It's like scientific testing only there's no science whatsoever. It's like the scientific method only with no control group or way to repeat the 'experiment' of ghost hauntings.

Take the Shirime or Krasue/Penanggalen - if you grew up where that was the accepted thing that comes out at night and there was, say, a bat that you didn't quite see clearly when you went on an evening stroll; then OBVIOUSLY the learned response is that it's some hag-witch head that was doing evil things or whatever.  The same assumption of filling in the blanks happens with a haunting.  The common knowledge of ghosts are all standard fare that I don't need to rehash but if you, say, hear a broomstick fall downstairs and there is no one around..... GHOSTS.

This begs the question of: how do we take an instance at face value without any preconceived notions/mythology tied behind it to lead us to a faulty conclusion that then gets reinforced into that long history of faulty conclusions?  I mean, have you ever gotten into a discussion and someone says, "But millions of people like it/think it/do it so are *they* all wrong?"  Like somehow a popular vote will trump science and rational sense.  Lots of people like Cardi B - I'm not gonna go with the flow and accept that she's an 'empowering artist'.  That's horseshit even if thousands of people tell me I'm wrong.

Something this book points out is how the prior evidence will give rise to a narrative, and then an event like a haunting will then confirm the already ascribed narrative. 

If I go to a hotel and I'm told, "Room 303 is haunted. People hear banging in their bathroom where Claire DeLanne drowned back in 1883" and in that room I hear a banging noise that wakes me up at 2am - you bet your candy ass that the loaded information "OMG THAT'S CLAIRE DeLANNE!" is going to run through my brain.  It's a sort of confirmation bias.

Now... let's talk about this fucking idiot:

I read his book right before my current book, with the intention of reading how to do really stupid ghost hunting, and then how to critique it right after with my current book.

In Zak's book,

Ghost-Hunting For Dummies - By Zak Bagans (Paperback) : Target

Zak talks about collecting as much information as possible before you go into a haunting.  He tries to spin doing all of this research as a way to be very informed as as a way to "be receptive" towards *IF* a haunting happens.  You can see how these two books are an odds with each other.  I agree that front-loading yourself with the haunted history of a place only will make it so you can easily explain instances with using the history.  Zak claims it's to be more accredited, but what he's actually doing is pre-scaring himself before going on an investigation.

You know those rorschack ink blot tests?  What if I said that you're going to see a 4-eyed fox in the next image.

Rorschach test - Wikipedia

Ok now that I said it BEFORE the image, you can see what I'm seeing before you even get a chance to make any logical conclusion.  This is what I believe happens when learning all of the background of a place before a supposed haunting.  The whole idea for the rorschach test is to free associate and describe what you see in order to get to the subconscious of what you are thinking about.  If you looked at that picture and saw a weird-patterned moth and I saw a demon-face, the idea was that the description of the pictures would indicate where your mind *naturally* goes.  When I tell you 'this is a 4-eyed fox' before you even look, what I'm doing is planting an idea in your head.  That way, your new idea that I put there will be confirmed.

Now an asshole-eyeball ghost or a floating head-guts woman might seem stupid to you, but what if that was what you were told for decades to believe just through acculturation?

Aren't we all victims of the environment that we grew up in?  Our religion may have been what everyone around us thought.  Racism and sexism might have been how we grew up.  Thinking that one political party is great and the other is all idiots.  You name it - culture is a war for your mind.  The only way to break free of that is to try and be as objective as possible by assimilating yourself into a sort of ph-neutral water of culture that is exposed to as many ideas as possible.

Zak Bagans, in his woefully bad book talks about how you need to corroborate stories and check with people about hearing/seeing things.  This does the exact opposite of what is intended: it's to make people have confirmation bias.  If you heard a knock and I heard a knock and I said, "Hey did you hear a person knocking?"  then the person I am with will agree.

Notice what I said.  We both heard a knocking. I said "A PERSON?" I already have the implication within checking about the noise that there is an entity influencing something to generate a knocking noise.  Due to herd mentality and suggestibility of many people, this can create a corroborated story where each will feed into each other's story/narrative.  The problem is before the story can even be solidified, it is tainted with the slant of "a person".  When you factor in that a prior history of the haunted site had a woman in white who will knock on the walls because she is trying to find her dead baby or some shit, it instantly sets up a scenario where it takes almost no true thought to generate an additional story. Within seconds of a knock, two people can ping-pong the narrative of 'a person knocking' 'yes it is a person' 'it's the woman in white' 'this place is haunted'.  And that is just one more example to put into a whole host of prior examples of people who went to this 'haunted' place and heard or saw the woman in white.

It's very. VERY. VERY. easy for people to have delusions if you think about the locus of the information.  We come pre-loaded with all the knowledge about a woman in white in modern society, so all it takes is an elevated heartbeat, a dark room, and a strong wind to spin a confirmation-biased ghost story.

A quote from my book: "Most of the events in the Haunting involve interpretive supernatural experience.  Footsteps, the phantom doorbell, raps on the wall, all of these suggest that the house is haunted.  Or conversely, the belief that the house is haunted, suggests and enables the belief that these anomalies have a ghostly source."

This is the crux of what I'm getting at: the haunting mythos enables the events to then be used as evidence.  Ok I'm going to get back to reading.

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Teros said:

This begs the question of: how do we take an instance at face value without any preconceived notions/mythology tied behind it to lead us to a faulty conclusion that then gets reinforced into that long history of faulty conclusions?  I mean, have you ever gotten into a discussion and someone says, "But millions of people like it/think it/do it so are *they* all wrong?"  Like somehow a popular vote will trump science and rational sense. 

This becomes even more interesting when you think about - why do we believe that science and rational sense are the end all, be all? We have decided as a culture that this is the height of understanding. We as humans made up the rules to science, and science is just as subject to preconceived notions and biases as anything else.

An excellent example I was reading about was the study of craniology, and the difference between men's brains and women's brains. At the time that this study began, it was taken as a given that men's brains were better. It was also decided that the right brain was the more optimal hemisphere, so scientists "discovered" that men were dominantly right-brained and women were left-brained. Then it was determined that lower lateralization (communication between hemispheres was better), and it was "discovered" by scientific research that men had less lateralization and that women had more. But THEN, through more research, they determined that it was better to be left-brained, that left-brained was associated with being more rational. And so scientists retested and "discovered" that men were dominantly left-brained, and women were right-brained...and the cycle continued. 

Another great example of these preconceived notions in science: Freud based the majority of his research on the concept that women were "lesser" than men. Almost all of the women he studied most likely had mental disorders, and it is beliefed that many of them were raped. In fact, until more recently, most psychological and scientific studies were done exclusively on men. Many of the studies that have informed the theories and research still in common use today was done on young, white men. It was believed that women did not have the mental fortitude to handle psychological testing. Even some medications designed exclusively for women were tested exclusively on men. 

So, you are pretty much screwed in terms of bias, whether you use science or not. It is not difficult to get results that support your claims. Now, whether or not those results can be replicated and tested in other enviroments....

Science is always based on assumptions that we have made about the world. Even heavily tested theories that were accepted as valid have been proven wrong. You can find a bunch of different scientific studies that directly contradict each other.

Science is one of those things that act as a philosphical assumption. You cannot test "science" to see if it is accurate, at least not from a scientific framework, since using a scientific framework to gauge the accuracy of science would imply that science is an accurate means of testing something. It is our assumptions that science is accurate that make it accurate. 

I think the biggest difference between science and mythology is the ability and willingness to prove something wrong. You cannot prove something right under either framework, but science is build with a much better framework for falsifying things, though technically there is also a margin of error in every study that accounts for the possibility that you accidentally falsified something that isn't false. 

• Like 2

On 9/17/2020 at 1:13 PM, Teros said:

Funfact: there's also an eyeball asshole ghost in Japan.

*Ahem*  -  The all seeing brown eye?  

How do I segue out of that?  I can’t.  So,  abrupt topic change here:

There is a lake around this area called Lake Tippecanoe,  and the locals just call it Lake Tippy.  My grandpa had a campsite there and had his pontoon out on the water and we’d all go visit and go fishing on the lake.  It’s the first time I remember catching a bluegill and it was the best fish I’ve ever had to this day.  I’m pretty sure my grandpa didn’t give me the exact fish I caught... but I didn’t know that then.  My cousin,  who is a year older than me, and was pretty much my first best friend, asked me if I knew *why* it was called Lake Tippecanoe.  I had no idea, and he filled me in.  

Up near the camp store, they had this shelter with an old boat under it,  like an old wooden canoe, pretty battered by this point.  I think at one time they used it for canoe picnics where basically you use the canoe as a serving table (but I also didn’t know about those at the time).  Michael pointed to the old battered canoe and said,  “See that boat?  That’s why they call it Lake Tippecanoe.  The Native Americans (Miami were prevalent in that area) that lived around here were in the boat and a storm *tipped the canoe* so they drown in the water.  

Was I scared of the lake before that moment? No. Does it still give me the heebie jeebies to this day? Yes! 

Am I afraid of Lake Wawasee? No.  Lake Waubee?  No,  although,  just a little part of it because there is a visible sunken barge in the water that you can canoe over and kids would tell stories about how that sunk and people died.  

In all my ramblings,  I think the implication is key.  Like your 4 eyed fox ink blot.  Because I had no prior knowledge, and then at 5 years old, my reasoning skills were based on what limited words I knew, paired with visual evidence (like the battered canoe).

But looking back,  had I known it wasn’t spelled Tippy Canoe,  or that the boat was probably from the 1950’s and not the 1850’s I would have probably been able to disprove my cousins theory.  Or maybe not? 

At what age do we start to believe that?  Many of us are taught to believe in things we can’t see from a very young age. The tooth fairy, Santa Claus, the Easter bunny, God, etc.  These are all supposed to be *good* things to believe in that we can’t see.  Where do the evil things come in?  How early?  It only makes sense that we believe in these things too,  as we’re lead to believe in the good we can’t see.

• Like 4

On 9/17/2020 at 6:49 PM, Aquarii said:

why do we believe that science and rational sense are the end all, be all?

-->

On 9/17/2020 at 6:49 PM, Aquarii said:

biggest difference between science and mythology is the ability and willingness to prove something wrong

Ehhhh I don't know.  I mean in religion, aren't there still schisms that try to say who is right? (at least for willingness)

Also, 'rational sense' in the case of ass-eyeball ghost is the rational thought though, so us (I'm assuming...) we wouldn't default to that as that reason for whatever.

On 9/17/2020 at 7:31 PM, Countess D'If said:

Ima get back to plank challenge. . . someday. . . .. . . . . . ......................

Flex Flexing GIF by Bodybuilding.com - Find & Share on GIPHY

I'll be working the guns in the meantime.  Love ya.  And I was serious what I said earlier.

@Snarkyfishguts - Understandable being on painkillers and hope you are doing better.

On 9/19/2020 at 8:05 AM, echoesofwonder said:

Was I scared of the lake before that moment? No. Does it still give me the heebie jeebies to this day? Yes!

Bingo - once you get that information, it will color how you respond afterwards.

On 9/19/2020 at 8:05 AM, echoesofwonder said:

At what age do we start to believe that?  Many of us are taught to believe in things we can’t see from a very young age. The tooth fairy, Santa Claus, the Easter bunny, God, etc.  These are all supposed to be *good* things to believe in that we can’t see.  Where do the evil things come in?  How early?  It only makes sense that we believe in these things too,  as we’re lead to believe in the good we can’t see.

Well we weren't being watched by *good* things always.  Notice how Krampus phased out in America?  And Osirus, Judge of the Dead?

Where do the evil things come in?  Idk, it's almost like that imaginary stuff is there to placate and protect innocent youth from the horrors of reality.

--------

So.... we're all depressing.  We need some mother-fucking happiness around here.  I'm gonna have to start virtually kicking people in the mommybags and scroticals.

I checked a bunch of threads today since I hadn't brushed up in a couple days.  I've been on that 'Grind Mode'.  I have the next 4 days all planned out.  Last week, my sister called the garbage company and they took the 2 huge pieces of the hutch and her broken black chair.  I called yesterday and I'm able to throw out my mom's oriental desk, a bureau, and a smaller shelf-bureau-bookcase-thingy on Friday.  That leaves my uncle's desk (which he is supposed to take back), the oriental chair that goes with the desk (which I'm going to sledgehammer and sawzall tomorrow).  You know what they say about Sawzall...

a coffee table (which I'll also sledge+saw), and finally a tiny bookcase which I *might* keep.  I haven't decided.  The broken stuff I will be throwing into garbage bags and the garbage-people will be none the wiser for NEXT week's trash.  (BTW if you haven't seen the movie that the clip is from, you need to.  Nic Cage at his finest.)

I did my batch cooking yesterday and I made some Italian turkey meatloaf, some chicken fajitas, and I attempted a new thing..... Thai red curry stir fry.

FUCK A DUCK SIDEWAYS, this Thai food is GUUUUUUUUD EATS.  I'll see if I can upload some pics of the batch cooking shortly. The red curry paste, shallots, ginger, and coconut milk blended perfectly.  It's a little spicy and a little sweet.  I cooked it for a while at the end to make it into a sauce but now I'm thinking I should cook it a little bit more to thicken it and give it some more punch.  But honestly, with the handful of diced chives I threw in at the end, it's:

Guy Fieri Kiss Sticker for iOS & Android | GIPHY

In other news: I upped my workouts.  Ohmehhgooosh guize.  I did my normal 30x30 and then I grabbed a 50lb dumbbell that I made out of cement and jack-o-lanterns and thought, "I should try like....1 rep with this'.  I banged out 5 easily so now I'm going to start doing 30x30s +50s.  (My legs have DOMS today though.)  Maybe next time do 30x30 +a 50lb.  Then +2 reps and go that route.  That way, when I build up to, say, 10 or more, I can start using ONLY the 50s.  My cardio was on point.  Funfact:  elliptical machines max out at an hour.  Apparently you can't up the time longer than that.  I have basically 2 workouts I am doing:

1) Hour Elliptical + SQUATZ

2) 1/2 Hour Elliptical + BACK/CHEST/SHOULDERS

Although TBH, I feel the urge to do bi/tri but the thought of skullcrushers is....eh.....not good.  I'll have to see what else is viable with my dumbbells.

💗,

Teros

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Teros said:

I'm gonna have to start virtually kicking people in the mommybags and scroticals.

Ummmmmm...  please no?

I’ll be funnier,  I promise... just please...

spare me from a *virtual kick*. 

1 hour ago, Teros said:

1) Hour Elliptical + SQUATZ

2) 1/2 Hour Elliptical + BACK/CHEST/SHOULDERS

Go, baby, Go! 

Also,  squats are so much cooler spelled with a z.

image.gif.2769df1cbc9f8b4968506fb2a21f5d91.gif

hehehe. 

• Like 1