Fox gets a little stronger

Greetings, peeps. Like many/most of you, I am seriously lacking in energy and wondered whether to bother with a challenge or not. But my chances of doing a thing are still higher when I've made something resembling a public commitment to it, so here I am.

I'm gonna keep it simple. I want to be stronger. I have always wanted to be an athlete and have often and repeatedly (especially in adulthood) resented the small, scrawny, prone-to-injury, resistant-to-improvement body I have. C'est la vie? Time for the boring approach to improvement. I'm just going to do push-pull-squat-core and see how many I can get up to by the end of the challenge. (I'll be doing hip bridges for the core exercise, since push ups and pull ups will be working my core as well, and push ups will have to vary between flat hand [my preferred style but hard on my wrists], knuckle, and on a stand.)

Also I'm super obsessed with Gideon the Ninth right now, so if anyone happens to like that book, I'm here to gush.

Starting Stats (a comfortable number, not my max capacity, because I want to track adding reps onto these starting stats):

Push Ups: 5 (full plank)

Pull Ups: 1 unassisted (barely, lol)

Squats: 12

Hip bridges: 10

Oh! Also, since despite stuffing myself with various baked goods and takeout during quarantine, I have gained 0 pounds in the last 6 months, I'm going to try to have a protein shake as my afternoon snack each day.

• Like 3

Day 2:

Push Ups: 3
Pull Ups: 1 but I had to hop, couldn't get it from a dead hang
Squats: 10
Hip bridges: 8

I'm planning to alternate high rep and low rep days, because I'm not doing rest days (although I put it as Monday-Saturday in Habitica so I can Sundays off if I want). So today I stopped when I started feeling a little fatigued; tomorrow I will push myself to do one more as long as I can maintain proper form.

And uhhhhh does a Clif Bar count as a protein source? xD I didn't get a snack until almost 4pm and thought a shake would be too big and I wouldn't be hungry for dinner. A Clif Bar has 250 calories and 9g protein, so almost as much protein as one scoop of powder (though I usually get up to 15g or so by mixing it with milk) and a nice calorie bump; the main drawback is the sugar (21g). I should probably track my food at some point here to see how many calories I'm taking in on an average day so I know if adding a single protein shake or Clif Bar per day is enough to push me into weight gain.

• Like 1
On 9/8/2020 at 9:30 PM, foxinthenorth said:

Greetings, peeps. Like many/most of you, I am seriously lacking in energy and wondered whether to bother with a challenge or not. But my chances of doing a thing are still higher when I've made something resembling a public commitment to it, so here I am.

Reminder Tattoos — Kate Monroe

EXCELLENT!!!

I'm just going to do push-pull-squat-core and see how many I can get up to by the end of the challenge

Are you susceptible to being challenged. We can work something out, i want to do pullups GtG style we can make a game out of it. Just let me know!

I'm going to try to have a protein shake as my afternoon snack each day.

I do those for breakfast, they allow me to have an easy fast breakfast! I love them!

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Mr_Willes said:

Are you susceptible to being challenged. We can work something out, i want to do pullups GtG style we can make a game out of it. Just let me know!

I am very susceptible to being challenged...yesterday my friend roped me into a 90-day skill challenge (drawing) just by saying "join meee."

• Like 3

Push Ups    7
Pull Ups    0
Squats    15
Hip bridges    0

Skipped the hip bridges because I got a WILD cramp in my glutes after doing push ups (cuz I tightened my whole body, I guess?). I might need to think of some way to reduce friction between me and chin ups — there's only one doorway in our house that admits the chin up bar, the bathroom door, so each time I have to get the bar out from the top shelf of the closet, put it in the bathroom door, do my one weak pull up, and put it away. If I need an assist I have to bring a chair in, too. It's way easier to just bust out some push ups or squats.

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, Elastigirl said:

Can you just leave the chin up bar in the doorway?

Unfortunately the door has to be all the way open for the chin up bar to fit in (it's one of those ones that hooks over the moulding on one side and uses the angle of weight to press against the doorframe on the other side), and the bathroom is about 15 feet from my desk, so being able to close the door while it's in use is important. xP Though now that I've been thinking about it, I think I can find a different spot to store the chinup bar, like move some of my shoes so it can be on the floor of the closet, so I'm not having to extract it from the laundry baskets and lift it down from the shelf each time.

• Like 2
On 9/11/2020 at 7:02 PM, Novaurora said:

Here to follow you getting super strong!!

Hiiiiiiiiiii! I'm gonna become buff one push up at a time! xD

--

UPDATE

9/11/20

Push Ups    8
Pull Ups    0
Squats    5
Hip bridges    0

Yesterday was an absolute garbage heap of a day which meant I did more push ups that I was supposed to (yesterday was supposed to be a light day) because I was upset and it was an easy way to move around, so I'm skipping push ups altogether today in order to give my unprepared shoulders and arm muscles a rest.

I read up a little on the GtG method Willes mentioned and it's a really interesting idea, doing tiny sets throughout the day to get your muscles used to the movement, so I'm counting total number of reps over the course of the day, rather than in a set (although I may only do one set in the day, so, depends).

• Like 1
1 hour ago, foxinthenorth said:

--

UPDATE

9/11/20

Push Ups    8
Pull Ups    0
Squats    5
Hip bridges    0

Yesterday was an absolute garbage heap of a day which meant I did more push ups that I was supposed to (yesterday was supposed to be a light day) because I was upset and it was an easy way to move around, so I'm skipping push ups altogether today in order to give my unprepared shoulders and arm muscles a rest.

I read up a little on the GtG method Willes mentioned and it's a really interesting idea, doing tiny sets throughout the day to get your muscles used to the movement, so I'm counting total number of reps over the course of the day, rather than in a set (although I may only do one set in the day, so, depends).

GTG movements are great. I've found them super helpful. 

• Like 1

Feelin' GOOD today but also starting to feel a little strain in my neck so I'm posting my numbers now so I'm not tempted to do more sets. It's wayyyy to easy for me to overdo it. As you all know from the running incident two challenges ago.

Push Ups    1 full chest-to-floor, 8 on the counter counter
Pull Ups    2 negative
Squats    10
Hip bridges    yoga was some intense core work so I'm counting that

• Like 1

Push Ups    4
Pull Ups    2 (negative)
Squats    9
Hip bridges    0

I feel like I did more than that...

I have to say, only doing 4 push ups by the end of the day is less than thrilling, but I still think it's a good idea to do one full push up with really good form rather than a bunch of modified push ups that aren't working as many of the stabilizing muscles I need to build up.

For pull ups, I'm jumping to get to the top and lowering slowly, making sure to keep my core stable and pull the scapulae down and keep the shoulder girdle stable. I have strained my neck doing pull ups before so, like the push ups, focusing on form over quantity.

Someday, the quantities will be mildly more impressive. :P

In other news, I'm contemplating a Halloween costume (even though it's gonna be a pandemic Halloween and I won't be going anywhere). Anybody else enjoy costumes/cosplay? I've barely done it at all; I always get really excited at the idea of a costume and then a little embarrassed when the time comes to make and wear it. I almost started the process of 3D printing a longsword, and only bailed on the idea because I have no crafting materials and never do crafts so it was gonna be a $50+ project (depending on how much the 3D filament costs and shipping to have the printed pieces mailed to me cuz my friends with 3D printers don't live nearby) and then I won't have any use for the paints/sandpaper/lacquer afterward....

25 minutes ago, foxinthenorth said:

have to say, only doing 4 push ups by the end of the day is less than thrilling, but I still think it's a good idea to do one full push up with really good form rather than a bunch of modified push ups that aren't working as many of the stabilizing muscles I need to build up.

Yes!

• Like 1

Yesterday:

Push Ups    6
Pull Ups    1
Squats    9
Hip bridges    0

I'm upping my micro-set to 2 push ups and 5 squats (from 1 and 3) because even though one perfect-form push up is hard, I can do two without wobbling or feeling fatigue.

And I had a really tough day yesterday and doing just one at a time wasn't quite enough energy expenditure to feel any better after doing it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• Like 2

It appears I have unintentionally dropped hip bridges from the micro workouts...

Push Ups    8
Pull Ups    2
Squats    15
Hip bridges    0

9 hours ago, fearless 2.0 said:

sorry about the rough day!!!!

and:

hell yeah to your micro workouts kicking ass! :)

Micro workouts = actually working?? already?? kinda?? really?? I did 8 push ups today, that feels like it's working already.

• That's Metal 1

1 hour ago, Salinger said:

Hey Fox..... hows it going? xx

I'm liking micro-workouts! Doing a lot of cleaning today...we've had some ants showing up in our apartment and we can't find where they're coming from so we're doing a deep clean. So far I've done about half a countertop and decided to do push ups and update this. Heh. :D I'm feeling on the up and up after a bad week, for now at least, so that's nice.

I decided to set a new baseline since when I started I didn't go to muscle failure since I was originally planning to gradually increase big sets rather than microsets, so I got the stands and did as many push ups as I could and gave out at...7. 93 to go! xD I'll do another max reps set maybe around week 4, or I'll just wait till the end of the 6 weeks. :)

• Like 1
  • That's Metal 1

Yesterday I did 6 push ups and 10 squats, still in sets of 2 and 5 respectively, but all within a short window because I was bored. My elbows made awful cracking/crunching noises (didn't really hurt though) so I'm using the stand exclusively today to take the wrist extension out of the equation.

Also husband reminded me of the value of L-sits which I don't think I've been able to do since, probably, I took gymnastics when I was 7, if I even did it then, and I just tried this morning and HOW DO YOU EVEN

Now I want to. The exercises specifically mentioned in Gideon the Ninth and the sequel Harrow the Ninth are push ups, crunches, pull ups, squats, L-sits (at least, that's how I interpreted the description), and star jumps (that part was funny, Gideon was all caps-ing at Harrow for not exercising and said star jumps are easy).

• That's Metal 1
On 9/13/2020 at 5:41 AM, foxinthenorth said:

Hell Yeah GIF - Hellyeah Hank BreakingBad - Discover & Share GIFs

20 hours ago, foxinthenorth said:

and I just tried this morning and HOW DO YOU EVEN

If you find out let me know!