Adventure - Make it so

echoesofwonder

I debated on whether or not to do the first timer thing since it’s been YEARS since I’ve been here.  Looking back through my messages,  at least 6 years.  But then I thought,  eh,  I’m not new.  I’ve completed challenges and so here I am,  finding my place in a guild again. 

So,  let’s get caught up.  

I took off a bunch of weight through the encouragement of friends I made on NF.  I left,  due to personal reasons and lost myself.  I hit maximum density,  and have been slowly taking it off again on my own. 

Engage

image.gif.adf53b9e857b43c7390f395696554dbd.gif

First things first.  It’s time to engage.  Engage others,  engage life,  and who better to motivate than Captain Picard? 

It’s time I surround myself with the support of friends,  especially this wonderful group of people.  

image.gif.71898e37fdf14b35dfe24f8e84c8c7fe.gif

Away Mission

I shall go on an away mission,  leaving my star base, on star dates October 9-11.  In such,  I shall explore wherever I go, and come back with new perspective.  Stronger mentally, physically, and emotionally.  I shan’t wear a red shirt on said away mission, as I plan on coming back.  

image.gif.37cb8588f42d7d1d891a77cebefa2ac8.gif

Set Phasers to Stun

This one, is a play on words.  My goal is to be stunning.  Although,  how I look is how I look, part of the reward for me is the physical changes I can see.  

In these 5 weeks,  I plan to do mini missions.  Set walking goals, and end with one larger goal of walking a section local trail here from my town to the next town over, and back.  

To stay motivated,  I’ll share a unique memory through each small mission.  

image.gif.b52d322e743ee271d4096e207154b182.gif

Make it So

image.gif.6b1328e15948ebcd0dc847b633c9d3da.gif

So in total,  my goals for this mission:

1.  Engage.  Find and give support to my NF friends and guild members. Engage in my personal life,  becoming more active, which will benefit my year long mission of finding who I am, recognizing my worth, and staying positive throughout the small trials each day brings. 

2.  Away mission.  I am planning on being out of town (destination TBD on October 9-11). I will use this time to explore myself,  as well as the the destination.  I have found that small away missions do my mind wonders,  even when traveling alone. In such,  I will do positive reflection on my time away,  and share my findings with the guild.  

3.  Set Phasers to Stun.  This one is tough, I haven’t set physical goals in a while.  But, my mini goals are to walk 10 miles per week on top of my already strenuous schedule,  increasing each week by 2 miles.  By the end of this challenge,  I would like to walk from my current town,  to the next town over and back.  

Although I have about 50 more pounds to lose,  I’m not focusing on weight loss during this particular 5 weeks.  Not that it isn’t important,  but I’m building a framework for the I CAN attitude,  rather than the I CANT attitude.  

On day 1,  I will still post weight and measurements for personal tracking,  and will not check again until the end.  

And thus.  I will make it so.

• Like 8

Level 2 Satyress adventurerSTR 3|DEX 3|STA 2|CON 2|WIS 7|CHA 6

First Challenge:  Disney Song Playlist (April 15th, 2013)

Second Challenge:  Better late than never (June 6, 2013)

"All great changes are preceded by chaos" - Deepak Chopra

1 hour ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

YES, THERE IS ANOTHER STAR TREK NERD HERE.

Welcome back to Nerd Fitness after taking a long break. I love your goals, and the healthy mindset you're bringing to the challenge. 

Thank you!  I’m glad to be back.  And,  yay for Star Trek nerds!  Catch my updates,  I’ll have some fun facts along the way!  😬

• Like 3

I've only seen a few random episodes of the actual star trek shows of any generation... but I think I've pieced most of it through gifs.

• Like 1

Level 3, Rebel

Currtent Challenge
Previously known as: Curl Brogo, Darwins_Demon, Vincent Van Bro

2020 Respawn Battle Log || Tarly's Ten Level Nutrition Plan

My Fitness Pal Profile || NF Epic Quest Character Page || Instagram

Weight Loss Quest: Start 270 lbs., Goal 199 lbs., Current 270 lbs., Waist: ,45.0 in., Bodyfat%: 33%

5 hours ago, Chris Tarly said:

I've only seen a few random episodes of the actual star trek shows of any generation... but I think I've pieced most of it through gifs.

I feel like this must be changed... but then I remember how I’ve never seen the Indiana Jones movies,  not even on accident,  and I feel like it’s been almost 35 years and why change it now? 

My boss told me she had never seen any of the Star Wars movies,  and in return,  I said,  “That’s okay,  I’ve never seen Indiana Jones.”  

She looked at me with horror and disgust, and says,  and I quote,  “BuT InDiANa JoNeS haS HaRRisOn FoRd iN iT.”  She proceeds to tell me that he’s so dreamy.  One of my employees and I looked at each other and said at the same time, “Star Wars has Harrison Ford in it too...” 

She was completely dumbfounded after that. 

It definitely got a good belly laugh.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

I love this challenge so damn much. Welcome back. I am proud of you for finding your way back. I know a bit about losing oneself and how terrifying it is to be a "fully grown adult" who has lost his sense of self.

I'm glad you're here fellow October baby. Let me know if I can help in any way. 

• Like 1

Who am I? -- My NF Character

Current Challenge: WolfDreamer Returns to Middle Earth

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

Winter is ComingWolfen Strengthens His Heart, Body, Mind, and Spirit, Wolfen Becomes One of the PeopleWolfen Strengthens His ChakrasWolfen Welcomes Summer and Gets Primal, Soulcon and Spartan, Wolfen Develops Mental ToughnessWolfen Joins the Wander SocietySoulcon, Spartan, School, and Stranger ThingsWolfen Becomes a Warrior EliteWolfen Goes Here and There and Back AgainWolfen Becomes a Soulcon Warrior EliteWolfen Returns to His RootsWolfen Wanders in Soul, Spirit, and BodyWolfen Owns the DayWolfen Searches for His Wild Heart, Wolfen Runs for His LifeWolfen Hits the TrailsWolfen Becomes an Explorer and Joins the ResistanceWolfen Goes Back to the SourceWolfen Begins the Hero's JourneyWolfDreamer Returns to the People,  WolfDreamer Pushes BackWolfDreamer PrioritizesBurpees, Books, and BrainworkBurpees, Books, Brainwork, and BodyworkWolfDreamer Masters the Four ElementsWolfDreamer Continues to Master the Four ElementsWolfDreamer Returns to SpartaWolfDreamer Returns to Middle EarthWolfDreamer Continues His Middle Earth AdventureWolfDreamer and the FallWolfDreamer Forges His Own PathWolfDreamer Has Hope

I'd rather sing one wild song and burst my heart with it, than live a thousand years watching my digestion and being afraid of the wet.” -- Jack London

“I wanted movement and not a calm course of existence. I wanted excitement and danger and the chance to sacrifice myself for my love.” -- Leo Tolstoy

"I feel love rising in my chest again
Rising like a burning sun into the day..." -- Gungor, "Hurricane"

"...wherever the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom." 2 Corinthians 3:17b

Welcome back to NF! I love your theme. I have not seen all of Star Trek (though I have seen a majority of the original series and the early movies), but I have definitely seen enough to love your theme. I also really like your specific goals. They sound very adventurous.

• Like 1

Chaotic-Neutral, Elven Bladesinger (Apprentice)

Current Stats: STR 10 || DEX 11 || CON 11 || INT 15 || WIS 16 || CHA 12

Goal Stats: STR 14 || DEX 17+ || CON 14 || INT 18+ || WIS 18+ || CHA 14

"To dare is to lose one's footing momentarily; to not dare is to lose one's self". - Søren Kierkegaard

On 9/8/2020 at 4:32 PM, echoesofwonder said:

Not that it isn’t important,  but I’m building a framework for the I CAN attitude,  rather than the I CANT attitude.  

Digging it.  I was in the same boat a couple months ago where it was more about trying to build a routine and build up from that. Gotta get some victories under the belt

I liked talking to you back then and still do today ;) 

On 9/9/2020 at 1:48 AM, Chris Tarly said:

but I think I've pieced most of it through gifs.

Yep.  If memes taught me anything, it's that Picard is ALWAYS disappointed in every episode. 

Cool Stuff: Star Trek Captain Picard Facepalm Bust is Embarrassed of You  /Film

On 9/9/2020 at 7:19 AM, echoesofwonder said:

I feel like this must be changed... but then I remember how I’ve never seen the Indiana Jones movies,  not even on accident,  

How I feel about Avatar. 

• Like 1
On 9/9/2020 at 5:26 PM, WolfDreamer said:

I know a bit about losing oneself and how terrifying it is to be a "fully grown adult" who has lost his sense of self.

It was terrifying at first,  but,  I’ve come to realize that the personal growth aspect is unmatched in times of terror. 

On 9/9/2020 at 7:55 PM, Aquarii said:

but I have definitely seen enough to love your theme. I also really like your specific goals. They sound very adventurous.

Thank you!  I’m ready for the adventure! 

I am facing the world by myself right now, and I was like, “Yay!  I can travel and do all the things!”  Then, bam, pandemic lock down.  I’m just now able to start doing some of the things.  lol

5 hours ago, Teros said:

How I feel about Avatar.

I’ve also never seen Avatar...  not planning on changing that either.  

5 hours ago, Teros said:

I liked talking to you back then and still do today ;)

Same, sir, same. 🥰

5 hours ago, Teros said:

Yep.  If memes taught me anything, it's that Picard is ALWAYS disappointed in every episode.

image.gif.1f79251ba8863fd415de68d3bbf61d54.gif

• Like 2

So yesterday should have been a mentally tough day,  it was my 9 year wedding anniversary, and 7 years since the day I left.  Yeah yeah,  echoes,  you’re heartless.  Leaving on your anniversary? 

The circumstances,  known to very few people, were pretty out there.  Like,  Jerry Springer might like my story, out there.  

Instead of dwelling on the day,  I put out positivity.  I ignored the social media memories that like to pop up,  and treated it like any other day.  In the past,  this day wrecked me. Yesterday,  I started touching the future instead of the past.  

It. Felt. Good.

Also,  I feel like I could mentally prepare for this challenge with clarity.  It gave me something to focus on and plan.  

So yet again,  NF to the rescue!

• Like 5

37 minutes ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

It's so awesome you're ready to let go and BOLDLY GO into the future!

You probably just made my whole day.

image.gif.7893693a9b26dbc1825d6ecdf3659b47.gif

• Like 2

On 9/11/2020 at 10:16 AM, echoesofwonder said:

Yesterday,  I started touching the future instead of the past.  

I love this. I am glad that you were able to make some progress in moving forward. You are doing a great job :)

• Like 1

"To dare is to lose one's footing momentarily; to not dare is to lose one's self". - Søren Kierkegaard

So yesterday should have been a mentally tough day,  it was my 9 year wedding anniversary, and 7 years since the day I left.  Yeah yeah,  echoes,  you’re heartless.  Leaving on your anniversary? 

The spartan race was mid-November and a few days afterwards, I ended things.  That was a week before the 12 year anniversary so it happened to be almost at the same time.  If it's not right for you, it doesn't make it heartless.

So yet again,  NF to the rescue!

WOOHOO

Alright, alright, alright!

image.gif.23e21a890bf1096c3175c97ebf0eb3fb.gif

Good morning! It’s time for a day 1 check in...

Last night, after a long day of work,  and many more to come, I realized something. Being overwhelmed is when my self doubt kicks in.  Generally, I am confident in what I can do.  But,  there are those moments right before bed where I’m like, ugh, 10 more miles added to my already strenuous week?  I can’t do it.  

This morning when I woke up,  all doubts were gone.  I can, and will do it.  I drive right past an amazing park on my way home.  I can pull off and get two miles in today before I get settled in. 

Adventure.  It’s an adventure!  I’m adventurous.

Yesterday,  anything that could go wrong, did go wrong.  I’m still dealing with the aftermath at work.  But I can do it.  I will do it.

Alright fellow adventurers,  I’ll check back in at the end of my day with the specifics.  The walk, the weight and measurements,  every last scary little detail that I need to face.  Accountability will be huge in this journey,  and I appreciate all of you for being here with me as I work towards finishing my first challenge in 7 years. Eek!

• Like 4

I really like the fact that you are adding walking from your town to the next to your challenge. Partly because it's the best time of year for walking, perfect temperatures, no snow or early spring doom puddles, and depending on where you live, epic Halloween decorations are slowing starting to pop up! But also that you want to add just a little more each week, get from one town to the next and that you know it will likely be difficult. Reminds me of the day I walked across my hometown for no reason other than mild curiosity about how long it would take. 

2 hours ago, Leigh said:

epic Halloween decorations are slowing starting to pop up!

Well,  the route I’m taking is on a trail,  it follows an old abandoned railroad,  they’ve turned it into a bike/hike trail.  

So although I won’t get to see epic Halloween decorations,  and more likely just Amish farmland,  there used to be camels at one of the farms.  So maybe I’ll get to see some camels?  

Halloween is my FAVORITE though.  We always get together as a family and carve pumpkins and have chili for my birthday,  all kind of rolled into one big pre Halloween get together.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, echoesofwonder said:

So although I won’t get to see epic Halloween decorations,  and more likely just Amish farmland,  there used to be camels at one of the farms.  So maybe I’ll get to see some camels?  

Wait...did you say...camels? In Amish country? Is this in the States? 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, echoesofwonder said:

Well,  the route I’m taking is on a trail,  it follows an old abandoned railroad,  they’ve turned it into a bike/hike trail.  

Halloween is my FAVORITE though.  We always get together as a family and carve pumpkins and have chili for my birthday,  all kind of rolled into one big pre Halloween get together.  

I am rooting for camels and adventuring!

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Aquarii said:

And we're sure they weren't just obese llamas?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Level 3, Rebel

Currtent Challenge
Previously known as: Curl Brogo, Darwins_Demon, Vincent Van Bro

2020 Respawn Battle Log || Tarly's Ten Level Nutrition Plan

My Fitness Pal Profile || NF Epic Quest Character Page || Instagram

Weight Loss Quest: Start 270 lbs., Goal 199 lbs., Current 270 lbs., Waist: ,45.0 in., Bodyfat%: 33%

23 hours ago, Aquarii said:

22 hours ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

Live Action Nativity Scenes/Plays totally would explain this. 

20 hours ago, Chris Tarly said:

And we're sure they weren't just obese llamas?

You guys are cracking me up.  

Yep, camels in Amish country.  I’m from Indiana.  I’m not sure if they’re still there.  I haven’t walked that part of the trail in years. 

Amish,  meh,  I wouldn’t say they’re too much into live nativity stuff around here.  The Mennonite and the Church of the Brethren (all historic peace churches,  I can go into a ton of depth here but won’t to save you all from the Anabaptist splits that have occurred in history) are much more involved in live nativity around here. 

My sister said she heard they had them for milk?  

Also,  I was looking out the back window towards the mill race (part of the river).  An Amish family up the road owns a cider mill powered by water,  and they own the land on the other side of the river as well as the mill race.  I saw what I thought to be goats.  Using the binoculars my dad left on the table,  I realized that they were not goats, but llamas (not skinny camels Chris Tarly). 

My sister was like,  “Are you sure they aren’t alpacas?” Semantics, sister, semantics.  I really wouldn’t know the difference lol.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, echoesofwonder said:

Yep, camels in Amish country.  I’m from Indiana.  I’m not sure if they’re still there.  I haven’t walked that part of the trail in years. 

Well in that case, hello neighbor! I grew up in IL and live in OH. I have driven through IN more times than I care to count. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Aquarii said:

Well in that case, hello neighbor! I grew up in IL and live in OH. I have driven through IN more times than I care to count. 

I, too, have driven through Indiana more times than I care to count. 😂

Also,  I love having new neighbors! ☺️

• Like 1