Adventure - Make it so

Today, I finally feel like I found my groove. Things are getting done, and I feel like I can leave work at an appropriate time today. 

This challenge is off to a slow start,  I haven’t gotten any extra walking in due to the long hours I’m putting into work.  It’s frustrating,  but I have tomorrow off and plan to log several miles on a hike.

But,  I am happy,  I am well, and adventure begins tomorrow.  ☺️

• Like 4

These are horror-shows and I'm perfectly content never getting near one.  I mean, Koalas are pretty bad but jeez.  No wonder they were used to terrify horses.

Also good to hear about the upcoming hike.

• Wow 1
10 hours ago, echoesofwonder said:

Today, I finally feel like I found my groove. Things are getting done, and I feel like I can leave work at an appropriate time today. 

This challenge is off to a slow start,  I haven’t gotten any extra walking in due to the long hours I’m putting into work.  It’s frustrating,  but I have tomorrow off and plan to log several miles on a hike.

But,  I am happy,  I am well, and adventure begins tomorrow.  ☺️

YAY! You found your groove! I hope you have an awesome day tomorrow!

Teros, that was terrifying. LOOK AT THOSE TEETH!

• Like 1

Hey hey hey!  I did a thing.  

So,  I just don’t watch much TV because, well,  I could come up with a myriad of excuses but I just don’t.  I used to use it as a coping mechanism for shitty relationship, and now that I’m out of said shitty relationship I just don’t watch it.  

Anyway,  last night I watched Captain America for the first time.  And I’m watching the next tonight.  Marvel movies in chronological order is my plan.

So I did that, then fell asleep, got up and put my shoes on and headed out the door for adventure.  I went to a neat little park.  I took some pictures of the reasons why I love this park. 

https://imgur.com/a/mjlGZ1h

1.  There are 2 bridges that water runs over.  It’s part of the trail, and as a kid it was always cool to take your shoes off and walk over it.  Heck,  even as an adult I love it.  I didn’t go over it today because it was pretty brisk this morning, and I was hoping the water level was down enough I could keep my shoes on.  It wasn’t.  

2.  The grist mill.  This mill is still fully operational,  they use huge stone wheels to grind the grain into meal or flour.  You can see that it’s powered by water, and the mill sets directly over the river.  

3.  I’m walking along minding my own business on the narrow trail,  probably extra narrow because of this crazy pandemic,  but I’m looking down because where I was passing through was mucky and there were a ton of roots that I could have killed myself on.  I’m a huge klutz sometimes.  So,  I know no one else is on the trail, and I hear a noise,  a startling one.  My eyes darted up and I was touching distance away from a deer.  In that same split second,  I saw the white tail bouncing away.  Friggin amazing.

The last pictures are from another park I went to after I got my grocery shopping done.  Bonus,  I got a box of Lara Bars for 1.49 and some ghost pepper almonds with dried cherries for .50 cents!  Okay, so back to the park.  It’s got some trails, but they’ve really put work into it since I was a kid.  To encourage families to walk, they have these placards along the trail with pages from a storybook on each one.  By the time you finish the trail,  you also finished a book.  Even though I don’t have kids,  I still found myself stopping at the placards to see what happened next in the story.  

Last month they had the “Bad Seed” story, which was a cute little book about how a seed had a terrible life and so he was a bad sunflower seed.  Then he decided he didn’t want to be a bad seen anymore.  This one was teaching kids how to count with using a funny story.

Anyway,  I logged like 3 miles today.  I’m debating on going again this evening to a third park.  I probably will.  Or there’s some trails I haven’t been on across the street in years.  So,  maybe I’ll do that.  I like exploring the little town that I grew up in and see how much has changed over the years.

Also,  a small win.  My dad is taking a table to my sisters as her wedding gift,  he needed help getting it into the truck,  so I helped him lift it, but they have rails in the truck for a 5th wheel hitch and the table needed to go over the rails.  I hopped into the back of the truck with ease.  I hopped down with ease.  My body is changing.  My attitude is changing.  Everything about me is changing and,  although it was a small win,  I’ll take it.  

• Like 5
On 9/15/2020 at 2:16 PM, Teros said:

These are horror-shows and I'm perfectly content never getting near one.

I’m on a mission,  and if there are camels,  then it’s one reason to walk faster right?  😂

18 hours ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

YAY! You found your groove!

62D6B5CB-DEB1-4913-8F24-6F2D639CE615.gif.893e4995a4f9dd7cc1e080bd52fe4c0d.gif

see what I did there?  hehehe

Teros, that was terrifying. LOOK AT THOSE TEETH!

It’s possible I’ll have nightmares.  lol

• Haha 1
On 9/16/2020 at 4:52 PM, echoesofwonder said:

Also,  a small win.  My dad is taking a table to my sisters as her wedding gift,  he needed help getting it into the truck,  so I helped him lift it, but they have rails in the truck for a 5th wheel hitch and the table needed to go over the rails.  I hopped into the back of the truck with ease.  I hopped down with ease.  My body is changing.  My attitude is changing.  Everything about me is changing and,  although it was a small win,  I’ll take it.

It's funny but sometimes these small moments are the most significant, and I'm really glad you shared it with us. I'm looking forward to your collection of victories! :) 

• Like 1

Today I chose to do something that’s mildly stressful for me.  

I moved out of my house in quite a rush, took just the things I needed and my ex “packed” the rest.  He gave me everything that was “mine” but,  most of it is stuff that isn’t mine.  It’s just crap he didn’t know what to do with.  

Also,  I am the kind of person who puts her groceries on the belt in the order I want them packed.  I would also say this is true for how I choose to pack to move. 

I’ve been through a few boxes.  I found jewelry in with spices, and personal items in with my kitchen equipment.  

Anyway, today I made the decision try to go through this stuff again.  

What did I do instead? 

image.gif.63074393684b27313060b044d4b2ebb8.gif

I fell asleep. 

It was like I was too overwhelmed, and I just fell asleep.  So I got up, and then I was like,  what the hell are you doing echoes?  

I did it.  I went through stuff and I threw away a ton of crap I had been holding on to for no reason.  

So now I know what I need to do.  Stop thinking about the stuff as a whole,  and just compartmentalize it.  One box at a time,  not all the boxes.  I don’t NEED any of it.  

image.gif.f14af0bda4de601b2400bac96d01bc7e.gif

I have walked 23.5 miles this week so far,  I know I was going for 10...  so...  Yay! 

image.gif.1a116cceae1129613f80896e2c11afbf.gif

I say week one,  over all,  really good.  Pretty fantastic even.

Thank you all for celebrating small wins with me!

It's funny but sometimes these small moments are the most significant, and I'm really glad you shared it with us. I'm looking forward to your collection of victories! :)

You are 💯 right.  

Also,  I work directly with people every day.  I share little pieces of myself,  generally telling the super funny stories I have.  A collection of bad dates, or like, just dumb stuff I’ve done,  because that’s the part of me that I like to project.  I love to laugh,  I love to make others laugh.   But here, you get the unsure parts, the parts where I’m evolving, the things that really matter.  

You get me. 

• Like 5

I was looking back over my goals and I realized that I forgot to post the scary intimate starting details.  I wrote them down, but, I didn’t share them. 

https://imgur.com/a/AaJgXfB

And now you know! Please tell me someone else reacts this way when hearing that phrase:

GI Joeeeeeee!

image.gif.fa886d880c7c30437479a675e4c3e7bc.gif

I have the day off today,  and I am dressed to go hiking.  Yay.  Not sure which way I’m going to head today,  but I have a few places in mind.  

My plans changed for my October away, so now I have to think of something else to do.  

I could head down to Indianapolis, or down to brown county.  I used to have it be a goal to hit all the Indiana state parks in a year.  When I met some of my NF friends down by Louisville several years ago,  we hit up a state park and did a night hike that was supposed to be a full moon hike. The full moon was completely covered and the terrain is soooo different down south.  But I didn’t fall.  

Anyway,  I need to plan *something* or I won’t do anything.

Any ideas?

image.gif.ac00a99ace5059d04892bc27b032ed68.gif

• Like 2
On 9/19/2020 at 2:24 PM, echoesofwonder said:

I am the kind of person who puts her groceries on the belt in the order I want them packed.

Meats first.

Then canned stuff.

Then fruit/veggy bags.  Those are last because they take longer to ring up which means the bagger (or myself) is able to bag the categories of groceries correctly and tie each bag top in a slight knot so there isn't any shifting when I'm driving home.

Stop thinking about the stuff as a whole,  and just compartmentalize it

That's how I was able to go through my stuff when I did the big purging fire, and again when I had to go through my mom's hoarding stuff.  I would go through each box and put the stuff into categories and then once that sifting was done, then I could decide what to do with each catagory.  Ex:  I would throw all her clothes in a big heap that was up to my chest.  Once all the clothes were sifted out, I was able to bag them and donate them.  Papers went into big rubbermaid containers and stacked on top of each other.  Etc.

You get me. 

star trek thumbs up :: WRALSportsFan.com

On 9/21/2020 at 10:06 AM, echoesofwonder said:

And now you know!

I actually think of:

When I think of GI Joe, I go with this:

Wot da fuk ah yew keedz doin

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

On 9/21/2020 at 10:06 AM, echoesofwonder said:

Anyway,  I need to plan *something* or I won’t do anything.

Any ideas?

Are you talking hiking-goal-related or just 'go do anything' related for October?

2 hours ago, Teros said:

I actually think of:

Well you posted LeVar Burton as Geordi,  but all I see is 

But I totally remember the “The more you know” from NBC.

I also think you ruined GI Joe for me.  lol

2 hours ago, Teros said:

Are you talking hiking-goal-related or just 'go do anything' related for October?

Well I *was* supposed to take a motorcycle trip somewhere but my riding buddy injured their knee.  So now I’m flying solo,  and not ready to make that bike trip on my own yet.  

I could make it a hike trip.  I could go to Vegas.  Too many options!  North Carolina got moved to December,  otherwise I’d just extend my weekend away. 

Okay so,  here’s the state of the union address:

I hiked 3 of the 12ish miles I will be hiking at the end of this journey.  

Along the way,  I saw frogs sunning themselves (it was a rather cool day) and I wanted to show you all this park.

https://imgur.com/a/WQbIGxt

When I was a kid I was convinced fairies lived here.  The giant mushroom (that I can walk under and I’m 5’7) used to be hidden.  The park was nor taken care of when I was a kid and my cousin and I “discovered” it.  There’s a picture of a bridge too.  Also wasn’t taken care of until they made it part of the Pumpkinvine trail. This was an old railroad bridge,  and I used to think hobos lived under it.  🤷🏻‍♀️

I also stumbled on a wedding that people were setting up for,  and honestly if I were to ever get married again,  it might be cool to get married in the fairy park.  

I felt accomplished,  and then I realized I have a hell of a way to go.  I could have walked the 12 miles.  I made my sister hike 10 with me, and she pooped out at 8. 

I had to make the trek back to the car by myself. 

So here’s the deal.  She’s 4 years younger than me and visibly looks more fit than I am.  Looks can be deceiving though because I push through being uncomfortable, and she doesn’t.  

Also, because I promised Snarky some fun Star Trek trivia:

My grandpa’s cousin was a redshirt in the original Star Trek series.  He appeared in 2 episodes:

The Man Trap

What Are Little Girls Made Of?

https://imgur.com/a/igncPAz

He also was a body double for William Shatner in What Are Little Girls Made Of?

image.gif.8c240b9c5b2bcabb9bdf1eeebd324392.gif

• Like 5

A short update.  

Today my knee and I are arguing over who wants to be active.  A couple of years ago I landed on my right knee,  straight down onto it.  I haven’t really had any problems since it happened, until yesterday.  

I had an exceedingly long day at work,  again, and cement and standing for 11 hours just takes a toll on the body anyway.

I think just strain, because my calves and hips hurt too.  My bank account enjoys it, my body not so much.  

Or maybe since 35 is right around the corner, my body is kicking on a check engine light? 

So walking doesn’t sound especially fun today, any ideas?  I’ll come up with something regardless,  but,  it’s always nice to have tools for future dilemmas.  :) 

• Like 4

So,  at work,  I’m part of a little club and didn’t even know it.  I started noticing it the last week,  but today it became apparent.  

I have a Jeep.  I don’t have a wrangler,  I have a compass,  but the jeeps all keep parking next to me.  One of them backed in (the whole parking lot is empty) just to be in jeep row.

Yesterday there was a line of 6 of us... 

Anyway, I haven’t made it to a park this week.  I’ve been working overtime,  but Saturday is my day to roam.

I’ve also taken up learning Spanish again.  I can tell you that I want that jacket,  and that it’s too expensive.  lol

Hope you all have a great day!  

• Like 4
On 10/1/2020 at 8:29 AM, echoesofwonder said:

I have a Jeep

There really is a community of Jeep drivers. They have meet-ups all the time, and there are Facebook groups and Reddit groups for Jeep drivers. At the Buffalo Wild Wings near me they have a meet-up about once a month, and it looks like a car show but with Jeeps and a lot of country music. It's cool to see if you ignore the occasional rebel flag (which is a struggle for me, honestly).

On 10/1/2020 at 8:29 AM, echoesofwonder said:

I’ve also taken up learning Spanish again.

Yay! I really need to get back into it. Are you on Duolingo?

Looks like you're doing great!

• Like 1
On 10/5/2020 at 10:29 PM, WolfDreamer said:

Are you on Duolingo?

Yep!  I’m doing well with it.  I took Spanish at the collegiate level several years back.  I don’t know why I never stuck with it.  Maybe I just need immersion for a while, or maybe an old favorite kids shows but in Spanish?

Okay, so (you have to say it like the beginning of this AlbinoBlacksheep flash video from the early 2000’s to get the full effect):

Okay so:  

I’ve been working a crazy amount of hours, decided that I needed to adorn my body in bruises from head to toe (literally) in an epic battle with a pallet (I think it was  Pallet:1 Echoes:0), and still manage to get out to walk.  Win!

Reporting back to everyone keeps me accountable, and being the people pleaser I am,  I hate to disappoint. 

This weekend is adventure weekend, and apparently adventure is not going anywhere as previously planned.  My nephew is coming to town to stay, and he loves his auntie so much that I can’t say no.  Maybe we’ll be able to hit the park and play together? 

Indiana is in stage 5 of their back on track plan, so we’re opened to 100% with limited restrictions.  What a world we live in right now!  

Another thing I’m dealing with is a small aversion to food.  I haven’t talked about it too much,  and it’s one of the reasons I’m not totally sold on paying attention to what I weigh at this point,  although I’ve been curious,  I stopped regularly stepping on the scale.  

I used to eat out of boredom, or sadness, or to celebrate, etc.  Food was an excuse for the underlying issues in my life.  

So what happened?  I had a huge life change in the last year, and moved back home to pick up the pieces.  For the first time since the day I graduated high school, I’m living at home.  And, for a couple of weeks I’d go for days without eating.  I’d feel sick at the thought of food.  Then I started eating one meal a day,  and then I’d occasionally throw in a second meal.  

I’ve never been able to eat breakfast, at least not at a regular breakfast time, because that first meal makes me so so sick.  I can drink,  I just can’t eat, so now I’m going to throw in breakfast in the form of a smoothie. 

I’m hoping the added nutrition helps with the depletion of energy that I’ve had lately.  I’ve been falling asleep hours before I should which really throws off my sleep schedule.  So,  fine tuning all the little parts of my life hopefully will help with the bigger picture,  the next challenge, and the future goals.  

image.gif.60ac6f40a2d346adb158cdc9bf8708e3.gif

• Like 3
1 hour ago, echoesofwonder said:

I’ve been working a crazy amount of hours, decided that I needed to adorn my body in bruises from head to toe (literally) in an epic battle with a pallet (I think it was  Pallet:1 Echoes:0), and still manage to get out to walk.  Win!

That sounds... painful.

This weekend is adventure weekend, and apparently adventure is not going anywhere as previously planned.  My nephew is coming to town to stay, and he loves his auntie so much that I can’t say no.  Maybe we’ll be able to hit the park and play together?

Wait, how old is this nephew, because literally anything can be an adventure with little boys.

I’ve never been able to eat breakfast, at least not at a regular breakfast time, because that first meal makes me so so sick.  I can drink,  I just can’t eat, so now I’m going to throw in breakfast in the form of a smoothie.

I'm sorry to hear you're having issues with food. Honestly, for a lot of people early morning isn't an ideal time to eat breakfast, especially not for a few hours after you wake up. I know most people eat breakfast before going to work or school out of necessity (I almost put that in air quotes, but there are some people who genuinely have to have some form of nutrition in the morning and won't have the opportunity to eat at school/work); for some people, though, the body needs to wake up fully before eating. However, hydration is important first thing in the morning (you probably already know this).

But I'm not a nutritionist, and more importantly I'm not you. You know your body better than anyone, and I have faith you will figure this out.

So,  fine tuning all the little parts of my life hopefully will help with the bigger picture,  the next challenge, and the future goals.

Yes! I have faith that it will!

• Like 1

We already talked about the breakfast stuff and was wondering how the smoothies were coming out?

I tend to go through periods of food boredom; where anything seems kind of gross.  I have to eat because I'll get stomach grumbling but I begrudgingly do it.  I felt that way earlier this week.  Workout seems to help.  I'm still debating on making a little recipe binder for myself so I can just flip to a random page for a food idea.

18 hours ago, Teros said:

We already talked about the breakfast stuff and was wondering how the smoothies were coming out?

Actually really good!  I went a different route.  My good friend is a distributor for a company that sells protein shakes.  They gave me their discount, which thrifty me loves.

In the last couple of days,  I felt my stomach growl instead of churn in the morning.  

Sometimes I need to remind myself,  this is a small step for big picture goals.  Although I went off the deep end as far as being whole30 compliant,  I did find that breaking a cycle to start new habits might be necessary.  

Also,  I hope that just getting away from needing smoothies or shakes in the morning is in my near future.  I think I finally have some hope. 

image.gif.1d72e634f999f15537cf78e30c3c35c4.gif

Im refusing to step on the scale until the end of this challenge again.  I think I’ll just build that into my next challenge.  

So,  I have a week left,  but the amount of self discovery is huge.  I’m purposefully adding suspense until next weeks musings and reflection.  😬

18 hours ago, Teros said:

I'm still debating on making a little recipe binder for myself so I can just flip to a random page for a food idea.

I love this idea.  I used to write out my shopping list for the week, and off on the side what meals I had planned.  Then I didn’t even have to think about it, I just picked one.  Kinda worked out nicely. 

• Like 2