• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

juliebarkley

Juliebarkley plays with time

On 10/17/2020 at 12:44 AM, WhiteGhost said:

Both.  The Duolingo method starts out with a few individual letters and then puts them into words.  Then the next unit will add a few more individual letters and then stuck them into words, and so forth until you get the whole alphabet.  It only focuses on pronunciation, so the words that were introduced for these exercises are not explained/translated.

With or without vowels?

Today was a boring day to write about. Work: nothing noteworthy. Researching Audacity features: learned several interesting things that I want to play with, and both confused and clarified some of the settings, but this makes boring reading for anyone who doesn't use that program. Exercise happened (minus the planks); it was a simple step up in all exercises with nothing special to note. Walk; same deal. And that is pretty much it for today.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

With

Thank goodness.

8 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Also, I tried out the Duolingo Esperanto introduction and it feels like simplified Spanish

I can see that. A lot of the modern vocab feels straight out of French for me. If you know the correlative table and how the various affixes work, you can make out a lot of words and sentences that might otherwise look bizarre. For example, "Kiam ĝi domaĉiĝis?" "Kiam" off the correlative table is "question" + "time", so "when", "ĝi" is "it", and "dom-" is the root for "house", with the affixes and suffixes "-aĉ" for "poor quality", "-iĝ" to make it intransitive, and "is" to make it a verb in the past. So the sentence means "When did it become a shack?".But the only word you really need to know to understand it is "domo" for "house" if you know your affixes. (Forgive my language nerdery.)

We lost power about 10 minutes after my last update, so I called it an early night. Time to make today a good one.

• Like 2

Yesterday was decent schedulewise. My walk and stretching time got eaten by other things though. I fell deep down a rabbit hole (in addition to the Audacity one which has been my current low-hanging fruit project). I realized that my current sizing isn't quite right, if I try on all of my bras and get rid of any that are stretched out/broken or don't fit half-decently anymore, I will have very little left. And with the 'rona, trying on in stores (if there were a store nearby) would be difficult, and I don't know how returns work. I'm going to have to put in some time on the Bratabase looking up models that have worked for me in the past (and hope the cut hasn't changed), take a bunch of measurements, track down Canadian retailers that actually sell those items, then cross my fingers and hope. What a time sink just to get basic clothing that fits.

I shall be back later with new stretching benchmark measurements and a basic sum-up for the challenge. I have no idea what to do for next challenge yet.

• Like 2

All right, back for the final benchmarks. I am not expecting big improvements given that I missed so many sessions. Plus I am not really warmed up and feel kind of stiff today. Enough hedging. Here we go!

Spoiler

Chinup:

Start: I can do a full pullup from the base position with my knees on the ground with both pullup an chinup grip. From a dead hang, I can still not get myself up, though I can at least bend my arms a little.

End: No change. I have still not figured out how to recruit whichever muscles in my back are necessary to make this happen. It is bringing back bad memories of middle school. :(

Toe Touch:

Start: 45cm. My hands are a little flatter than the first time though, so I suspect my measurement was off the first time.

End:  43cm. I am not sure we are measuring from the same part of my head. This one is definitely better.

V Sit and Reach:

Start: 13cm.

End: 11cm. :(

Forward Splits:

Start: 146cm left, 147cm right

End: 140cm left, 142cm right. This is probably more accurate than the starting measurement, so I'm not sure if it's an actual loss.

Centre Splits:

Start: 149cm.

End: 151cm.

Trunk Rotation:

Start: left 35cm, right 37cm; this is probably more accurate than the first time as I was not measuring myself. I still think this one is very hard to measure accurately.

End: left 42cm, right 46cm. I retain my reservations about this. This time rather than follow the directions, I rotated my torso, made sure I was keeping my back straight, then extended my arm, making sure it was at 90 degrees. Hopefully this will improve accuracy in future measurements.

Trunk Extension:

Start: 48cm.

End: 41cm. I am usually good at backbending movements, but today it was really hard.

Back Scratch:

Start: right 11.5cm, left 4cm.

End: right 10cm, left 9cm.

Shoulder Rotation:

Start: 77cm. However, I could not return to the front again. I don't remember if that was a requirement I put on my first measurement.

End:  70cm. It was a close thing though. Possibly it should have been a touch wider.

Straight Leg Raise:

Start: left 83 cm, right 84 cm. Done with pointed toes both times. I am not certain that we are measuring from the same place as last time. This time we used the convenient crease that runs across the top of my feet to the ankle bones. The improvement seems about right.

End: 80cm left, 78cm right. However, I realized we had measured from a different place than last time. This time, I used the crease on the back of my heel when my toes are pointed, and this is 6cm from the measuring point last time. So, small improvement!

Butterfly Stretch:

Start: 6cm. As I said before, I don't think improvement in the heel-to-groin distance is anatomically possible. So I tried a new measurement: I kept my back straight, leaned forward, and measured nose-to-floor distance: 51 cm.

End: 35cm. That's... a suspiciously large improvement. There was improvement here, though.

How did I do on the rest of my challenge?

Make a build a schedule: I made a schedule. I have been improving at following it. I am certainly not following it perfectly, but neither did I expect to. There is ample room for improvement. Maybe a soft pass?

Work out on workout days: I missed days. I mean, I missed today in order to get the benchmarks in. Some of the workouts happened. More than half. Better than last time, I think. Can't really call it a pass though.

Daily walks, rolls, stretches, and handstand: Ahahaha no. Fail. Miserable fail. The walks mostly happened, though I am now fighting weather and need to make the indoor transition pretty soon. Making the transition indoors for rolls has been hard. Stretching has been hard to fit in. I don't think I ever did it twice when I was supposed to. These items are all linked for me, so failing one generally means failing them all. And I do not currently have a handstand spot.

Working towards a pullup from a deadhang: I confess, other than my usual workouts I stopped working on this. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to make the muscles I need do what I need them to do. It's just depressing when I try. Maybe I need one-on-one help: someone to actually watch me try and tell me what I'm doing wrong and physically direct me. Or maybe if I could do a proper hang without my knees up I could make progress? I really need to find that pullup bar.

Posting daily on my own thread (and preferably those of others): I mostly posted daily on my own thread. I struggled to make the time to read and post on the threads of others. So I guess a pass, but I'm not really happy with it.

There will be a new challenge when I figure out what I am doing for the next challenge. See you soon!

• Like 4

20 hours ago, juliebarkley said:

I'm going to have to put in some time on the Bratabase looking up models that have worked for me in the past (and hope the cut hasn't changed), take a bunch of measurements, track down Canadian retailers that actually sell those items, then cross my fingers and hope. What a time sink just to get basic clothing that fits.

I understand @deftona knows a thing or two about bras.  I suspect you wouldn't go amiss hitting her up with PM ;) 

10 hours ago, juliebarkley said:

Working towards a pullup from a deadhang: I confess, other than my usual workouts I stopped working on this. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to make the muscles I need do what I need them to do. It's just depressing when I try. Maybe I need one-on-one help: someone to actually watch me try and tell me what I'm doing wrong and physically direct me. Or maybe if I could do a proper hang without my knees up I could make progress? I really need to find that pullup bar.

I would be happy to look at a video and give suggestions if you are up for that.  Otherwise, have you considered doing easier variations that can get you started?  Things like hanging rows, seated/squat pullups, scapular pulls, etc?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

I understand @deftona knows a thing or two about bras.  I suspect you wouldn't go amiss hitting her up with PM ;) 

It's true! Give me a shout if you need anything.

9 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

I would be happy to look at a video and give suggestions if you are up for that.  Otherwise, have you considered doing easier variations that can get you started?  Things like hanging rows, seated/squat pullups, scapular pulls, etc?

The video would just be me failing to move from the bottom of a pullup, so I'm not sure you could glean much from that. I have been doing hanging rows as part of my regular workout routine (they are not my forte, but are improving slowly), and I can do a pullup (maybe more than one?) from a kneeling position without any great difficulty. (That's arms straight up at the bottom, but with my body's weight on my knees on the ground). It's getting out of the bottom of a deadhang that I just can't seem to get. I'm not sure what seated/squat pullups and scapular pulls are exactly; do you think they would help with that? I know you suggested scapular retractions before. I'm not even sure I do those right. :(

17 minutes ago, juliebarkley said:

The video would just be me failing to move from the bottom of a pullup, so I'm not sure you could glean much from that. I have been doing hanging rows as part of my regular workout routine (they are not my forte, but are improving slowly), and I can do a pullup (maybe more than one?) from a kneeling position without any great difficulty. (That's arms straight up at the bottom, but with my body's weight on my knees on the ground). It's getting out of the bottom of a deadhang that I just can't seem to get. I'm not sure what seated/squat pullups and scapular pulls are exactly; do you think they would help with that? I know you suggested scapular retractions before. I'm not even sure I do those right. :(

It sounds to me like your biggest issue is scapular activation.  If you can get a pullup from a kneeling position then it isn't an arm strength problem.  Your problem seems to be getting from a deadhang into the beginning position for the pullup, which your shoulders must already be in on the kneeling pullups.  I am going to suggest you do both scapular pullups and scapular rows to help build up the scapular strength you need to move from a pure deadhang into the pre-pullup position.  You may want to also try raising your knees first before attempting the pullup because most people instinctively activate the scapula when doing knee raises as a compensation for weak core strength.

• Thanks 1