Jarric - Muscle Wizard Casts Fist

On 10/9/2020 at 5:04 PM, fearless 2.0 said:

I adore your drawings, dude! :)

Thank you :) . This Inktober has been a fun thing to focus on.

On 10/11/2020 at 6:44 AM, WhiteGhost said:

Your pathfinder games sound like a lot of fun!

They really are! Both groups have been running a long time, so we're really comfortable together which helps.

• Like 2

Very short update: I'm not dead, just been very busy! Last week I hit most goals apart from hangboarding (le shock!) and calories, as I went way, way over on Saturday. Spent all weekend playing and watching D&D, when I wasn't out running anyway, it was great! Had a dentist appointment on Monday and he had plenty of positive stuff to say about my teeth so it seems the new brushing routine is working.

Will aim to do a proper round up of last week and this week soon.

• Like 3

Week 4 round-up

Slightly late but here we are:

Catapult/Dodge: Average calories 2,589. Wasn't going too badly until Saturday. Saturday was a 15 mile run, which requires a fair amount of calories anyway, and then playing D&D and watching D&D, which feels like it requires a lot of calories! No damage taken but no damage dealt.

Green flame blade: 7/7 for teeth brushing - 2 damage dealt again, plus bardic inspiration from @DarK_RaideR, for 3 damage total. This is still going really well. Also got complemented on my brushing from my dentist, so the results match the effort.

Greataxe: 0/2 hangboarding sessions last week. I need to re-think how this fits in my week.

True Strike: Split stretches were done! +1 damage to the green flame blade attack. I think I did this fairly early in the week, can't actually remember?

Thunderwave: 7/3 drawing sessions, so 1 damage dealt. Inktober's really given me some incentive to get drawing, which I like!

Absorb elements: 2/3 foam rolling sessions complete, so I take 1 damage. Scheduling what days I was going to this worked in the week, but I didn't make time for it on my busy weekend.

Damage done to Mindwitness: 5

Guglug current hp: 7/9

• Like 3

Ok, this week in general I've been pretty poor on my challenge goals. I've been in the office for 3 days, which makes a surprising amount of difference for the time I have available (particularly doing stuff in my lunch break).

I've also spent a ton of time working on my D&D game for some of the lovely European nerds here. @iatetheyeti is joining us for next session, and it's been really cool designing their character with them. That campaign is also at a bit of a crossroads at the moment, so I've been putting a lot of time into working out how it transitions from one adventure to the next. All fun stuff, but it's taken up a lot of my brain space.

One thing that has meant is I haven't put time into foam rolling, hangboarding, or stretching. I've had time to do these things, but I haven't done them. I'm running out of week to get stuff done too, so it's far from ideal.

What that isn't an excuse for is the fact that I've eaten like an arsehole this week. I don't know why, whether it's a stress reaction or just boredom, but I've eaten way too much crap. I've also stopped tracking calories, so this goal will be a fail this week as I can't put a number on it.

Drawing continues to be good. I did miss yesterday's Inktober prompt, but I'm already at 2 drawing sessions for the week so I'll easily get my 3. Teeth continues to be spot on - a perfect record in what is otherwise not a great start to the week.

Crossfit has been ok. Monday was squats - topped out at 95kg (~199#) x 3 that didn't feel too heavy, and followed that with thrusters and chest to bar. Tuesday was deadlifts, but I tweaked my back so did a load of mobility stuff instead. Wednesday I went for a run instead of Crossfit; got a nice 10k/6 miles in.

• Like 6
4 hours ago, Jarric said:

What that isn't an excuse for is the fact that I've eaten like an arsehole this week. I don't know why, whether it's a stress reaction or just boredom, but I've eaten way too much crap. I've also stopped tracking calories, so this goal will be a fail this week as I can't put a number on it.

Nerds don't quit, we just respawn!  Tomorrow is always a new day, my friend. 

Remember your WHY, remember what brought you here, and keep your eye on the prize!

funny-saying-gamers-dont-die-respawn-ner

• Like 3
7 hours ago, Jarric said:

I've also spent a ton of time working on my D&D game for some of the lovely European nerds here. @iatetheyeti is joining us for next session, and it's been really cool designing their character with them. That campaign is also at a bit of a crossroads at the moment, so I've been putting a lot of time into working out how it transitions from one adventure to the next. All fun stuff, but it's taken up a lot of my brain space.

First of all, I am massively looking forward to this and I am very thankful that you guys were happy for me to gate crash :D

Second of all, if you will allow me to get a little emotional for a moment... I might have teared up a little when I saw you'd used neutral pronouns for me. Having people know that it's what I prefer is still very new, and it really brings out quite a lot of feelings (good ones!) whenever I hear (or see, in this case) the people I care about using them. So thank you, seriously, for that and for accepting me for who I am.

...emotions over. Still excited about Sunday!

• Like 7
20 hours ago, Rurik Harrgath said:

Nerds don't quit, we just respawn!  Tomorrow is always a new day, my friend. 

Remember your WHY, remember what brought you here, and keep your eye on the prize!

funny-saying-gamers-dont-die-respawn-ner

Yeah, you're absolutely right. 2.5 days left and I can get a lot done in that time.

16 hours ago, iatetheyeti said:

First of all, I am massively looking forward to this and I am very thankful that you guys were happy for me to gate crash :D

Second of all, if you will allow me to get a little emotional for a moment... I might have teared up a little when I saw you'd used neutral pronouns for me. Having people know that it's what I prefer is still very new, and it really brings out quite a lot of feelings (good ones!) whenever I hear (or see, in this case) the people I care about using them. So thank you, seriously, for that and for accepting me for who I am.

...emotions over. Still excited about Sunday!

Looking forward to having you join!

And no problem. I know it's important for you, and that makes it important for me to make the effort to get it right.

13 hours ago, Cheetah said:

Celebrate the wins, learn from the losses.  Finish the week strong.  You can do it!

Absolutely, thank you man, I will!

• Like 2
22 hours ago, Rurik Harrgath said:

Just do what I've been known to do, and cram 1 week of goals into two days 🤣

#70pullupsleftin3days

Ah, 70 pullups in 3 days seems like the perfect way to do it :lol:

6 hours ago, iatetheyeti said:

I appreciate it so very, very much :) 

I'm glad :)

Thursday was a good day. Crossfit was squats - hit 90kg (~198#) for 2 x 5, but ran out of time for a third set.

Thenwe had 2 attempts, each for time, of 1 legless rope climb, 3 front squats, 5 ball slams. I subbed 10 ring pulls for the rope climbs - I could probably do the rope climb if my life depended on it, but there's no crash mat at the gym and I don't want to risk falling 15' on to a solid floor when I reach the top. Was a fun little workout though.

Finallywe had max distance ski in 1 minute, and I did a dreadful job getting 257m (~825" I guess?). Need to figure out what correct technique for ski erg is.

Had a fun day in the office - it's really nice to be around people for a few days ever couple of weeks, and my co-workers are a really fun bunch. We went to the pub for a couple after work, then I went home for a chicken lasagne that WW had heated up ready for me.

In the evening we had Pathfinder, and my first experience of a hex crawl/hexsploration across the desert. We found some cultists and drakes, whom we killed ruthlessly, and some camels which we stole from said cultists. We ended the session as a huge tentacle grasped on to one of our camels, and more tentacles emerged, as we're apparently about to take on a sand kracken.

Yesterday was also a good day. Crossfit was deadlifts; I hit 130kg (~286#) for 5 reps. Was planning to go heavier, but my trainer pointed out my back was starting to round out, so I stopped there for the day.

Thenwe had 5 rounds for time of 3 hang power cleans, 6 handstand pushups, and 12 lateral kettlebell swings. I used 55kg (~121#) for the hang cleans, 1 ab mat for the handstand pushups, and 20kg (~44#) for the kettlebell swings.

Ifailed my very first rep on the cleans, which was pretty tough, and it took me a moment to get my composure. I knew I was in trouble when I got to the end of my first round and most people were finishing their second. Finished dead last by quite a way, but I'm ok with it. I was lifting the second heaviest weight for the cleans, and was one of only 2 people attempting the handstands. I don't mind being dead slow as long as I know it's because I've gone dead heavy!

I was a bit distracted at work, and had a short day too as I had an online event and then online work beers after that.

In the evening I cooked loaded chilli cheese fries from scratch, and we caught up with Crit Role and the newest episode of Taskmaster. It was a lovely evening.

• Like 4

Week 5 wrap-up

Catapult/Dodge: Haven't the foggiest, I stopped tracking on Tuesday and left it for the week. Not the healthiest decision, but I needed the mental space for other things so I don't necessarily regret it. 1 damage taken and no damage dealt.

Green flame blade: 7/7 for teeth brushing - 2 damage dealt again. A perfect challenge for this goal, which is pretty cool!

Greataxe: 0/2 hangboarding sessions last week. I need to re-think how this fits in my week.

True Strike: Split stretches were done! +1 damage to the green flame blade attack. Also got bardic inspiration from @DarK_RaideR, which got me to do this on the last day of the challenge when I would probably have skipped it. That's +2 damage in total for this goal.

Thunderwave: 3/3 drawing sessions, so 1 damage dealt. Inktober's helped, and though I've skipped a few sessions I've still done enough.

Absorb elements: 1/3 foam rolling sessions complete, so I take 2 damage. I should have made time for this, and I didn't.

Damage done to Mindwitness: 5

Guglug current hp: 4/9

• Like 2
  • That's Metal 1

Challenge Wrap-Up

Recap of my goals in spoiler:

Spoiler

Attacks:

• Catapult: Guglug magically flings an unattended object in the direction of an enemy, for 2 damage. Can be cast once each challenge week. To cast this I need to keep my average daily calories under 2,520 for the week.
  • Green flame blade: Guglug's greataxe is magically enveloped in green flames, dealing 1 damage. Can be cast twice each challenge week. To cast this once I need to brush my teeth twice daily for 4 days, to cast a second time I need the full 7 days
  • Greataxe: Guglug hits a thing with his greataxe (he is a muscle wizard after all), dealing 1 damage. Can be used once each challenge week. To do this I need to complete 2 hangboarding sessions in the week.
  • True Strike: Guglug imbues his weapon with magical energy, improving his chances of hitting. Add 1 damage. Can be cast once each challenge week. To cast this I need to do split stretches once in the week.
  • Thunderwave: A wave of thunderous force sweeps out from Guglug, dealing 1 damage. Can be cast once each challenge week. To cast this I need to complete 3 sessions of drawing each week.

Defence:

• Guglug has 9hp, and as a half-orc also has relentless endurance
  • Dodge: Guglug dodges the enemy's attack. Take 1 damage if my average daily calories for the week exceed 2,630.
  • Absorb elements: Guglug's spell captures some of the energy of an elemental attack against him. Complete 3 foam rolling sessions each week. Take 1 damage of each session missed.

Catapult: Only hit my calorie goal 1 week out of 5, so a fail here. Also ended up feeling weak and rubbish for a lot of it, which I thought was from not eating enough, but that doesn't make a lot of sense. I'll need to experiment and see what's going on here. I did lose 2# over the course of the challenge, which is not what I was after but it's not disastrous either. 0XP earned

Green flame blade: I hit my teeth brushing goals 35/35 times this challenge - really happy with that. I don't want to lose momentum on this though, so this goal stays. 10XP earned

Greataxe: I never hit my hangboarding goal; still need to find an appropriate time to do this. Fail. 0XP earned

True Strike: Managed to hit this every week without fail. I'm torn between making it a bit more ambitious next time, or just allowing myself a relatively easy win. 5XP earned

Thunderwave: I only got 2 drawing sessions in week 2, but thanks to Inktober I got 5 in week 3 and 7 in week 4. The excitement died down a bit in week 5, but I still got 3/3 for the goal. 9XP earned.

Dodge: Whilst I only hit my main calorie goal once, I did stay below my secondary calorie goal for the first 4 weeks. 4XP earned

Absorb elements: I only got all of my foam rolling session on two weeks, and got 11/15 in total. I need to stop pretending that I don't have time to do this and just do it. 7XP earned

Overall I think this challenge went ok. Life is getting busier, and I'm trying to learn how to navigate that, but I'm getting there slowly. I also benched more than my body weight and got a couple of bar muscle ups this challenge, I ran my last 2 OCRs of the year, and generally had a pretty good time. The whole team aspect of doing this challenge with @DarK_RaideR and @Starpuck really helped too - it was good to have that support.

• Like 2
  • That's Metal 1
28 minutes ago, WhiteGhost said:

Burying the lede, I see

I spent too long there looking up the spelling of lede vs lead.

Anyway, yeah, I am really happy I got both of those things! The only reason they're so far down the wrap-up is that neither of them are directly related to any of my challenge goals! 

• Like 2
22 hours ago, MrsVan said:

Yikes, trying to catch up on all the gaming and training! Seems like your doing well enough.

Thank you! Also, I now realise I should probably update my signature to my current challenge, so thanks for that too!

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Jarric said:

Thank you! Also, I now realise I should probably update my signature to my current challenge, so thanks for that too!

:( I always follow signature links and always tend to end up on old challenges... :D I'll try to find your new challenge. This time looking at the top for dates too.