• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

RogueLibrarian

RogueLibrarian: Project Equinox

HELLO TEAM I'm back, baby

It's been a minute. I'm well, healthy and working from home at least through the autumn.

I've gained 15 pounds since Covid isolation started. I was blaming it on a medication I started taking, but I looked at the data. I started taking the meds in December, and the weight gain started in March/April. 

So what am I doing about it? I've sharply curtailed my snacking habits. I'm drinking a lot more water. Perhaps most importantly, I'm cutting my portion sizes at meal times (I have a tendency to mindlessly go back for seconds if I like what I'm eating).

I am exercising pretty regularly! My usual routine is kickboxing class on Monday, martial arts lesson on Wednesday (both via webcam), and a run on Friday morning. Earlier this spring I was running three times a week, but the Georgia heat got too intense for that and I had to stop entirely for a while.

I'm also working on maintaining mental health stuff during lockdown -- mostly I'm feeling bored and stagnant and confined. Trying to keep focus on work, etc. Trying to do things for fun that bring me joy despite the circumstances. I'm meditating daily, talking to my therapist, all the stuff I think I should be doing to cope.

So: Challenge goals. 

• Workouts three times per week. This will usually be the aforementioned kickboxing, karate, run combo, but substitutions are A-okay.
  • Water. First thing in the morning, and throughout the day. Sparkling water, unsweet iced tea, and plain old water. Drink a glass before giving in to a snack craving.
  • Half-assed meal plan: Take less on the plate, and follow with a piece of fruit and/or a fat-free yogurt instead of seconds.
  • Write: Twice a week, write something creative and non-work-related. Doesn't matter if it's good, or how long. I'm just trying to get that habit restarted.

And maybe post a bunch of Donnie Yen gifs?

tumblr_msm0i7gas71qedt5eo1_500.gif

• Like 3

It has been a quiet week, my bad knee is playing up and I've opted out of workouts reluctantly to make sure I'm in good shape for next week. No injury, just middle age. At least it's week 0.

I'm getting out for walks, meditating, and paying attention to my eating. I had lost about two pounds last time I weighed in, but I'm trying to only do that once a week. I am drinking LOTS of water and pretty much avoiding snack urges. I think I might be adjusting to fewer calories ... a little bit.

• Like 2

Week 1! Quick morning check-in, more later.

My bum leg is still a little uncomfortable, but I'm going to try a cautious kickboxing workout class this evening and see how it goes. I walked a fair amount last week, but I missed my workouts and martial arts lesson.

I'm using the NF Prime app (while it's free) and enjoying the quests as a fun way to keep motivated. 

I'm drinking a LOT of water, seltzer, unsweet tea, especially when I'm having food cravings. Snacking is down and I'm doing a decent job of controlling my portion size. I'm also trying Stevia instead of sugar in my coffee for a couple of weeks now and I like it fine, so I think I can stick with that. 

I'm coming out of the gate pretty strong! I've lost about four pounds in the last two weeks. It's very encouraging just to see that I can stop the inertia and start moving in the other direction. If I can lose ten pounds total, I'll be happy (fifteen would make me happier, but ten would be great). It's not a huge amount, but I definitely have a threshold weight right around this point where I notice the extra weight if I go over. I'm not a huge guy and have a skinny frame, so ten or fifteen pounds feels noticeable to me.

I have some work to cover before lunch, but after my p.m. meeting I'll attempt some kind of short creative writing break.

tenor.gif?itemid=7398827

• Like 2

Nice start! What kind of creative writing are you doing? Forgot to ask you earlier but how do you find doing kickboxing/martial arts lessons online? Are they without equipment or do you use your own pillow monsters?

2 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Nice start! What kind of creative writing are you doing? Forgot to ask you earlier but how do you find doing kickboxing/martial arts lessons online? Are they without equipment or do you use your own pillow monsters?

I'm trying to re-kickstart my fiction writing. I've had an unfinished novel sitting in a google drive drawer for a couple of years now. :)

Video classes are not ideal, but they're better than nothing. As long as the weather isn't bad, I can set up the webcam on the back deck and work out there. Karate is usually without equipment. We have a heavy bag so I can actually hit/kick that!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, RogueLibrarian said:

I'm trying to re-kickstart my fiction writing. I've had an unfinished novel sitting in a google drive drawer for a couple of years now. :)

Video classes are not ideal, but they're better than nothing. As long as the weather isn't bad, I can set up the webcam on the back deck and work out there. Karate is usually without equipment. We have a heavy bag so I can actually hit/kick that!

PORCH WORKOUTS! Yesss. 

24 minutes ago, raptron said:

PORCH WORKOUTS! Yesss. 

I did a kickboxing class last night! I'm not in pain today, or at least no more than usual after a kickboxing class. :) My bum knee/hip seem to have weathered it just fine, so I'll take it cautiously but proceed forward the rest of the week. 

I also attempted a little bit of writing yesterday to dip my toe back in.

Fellow meditators, I highly recommend the RZA's meditation EP. It's on Spotify & Youtube etc.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, RogueLibrarian said:

Also, a friend is inviting me to do the Peachtree Road Race (virtual) with her. It's 10K, and I've never run more than a 5K. I'm thinking about trying it.

When is it? 😀

On 9/14/2020 at 9:56 PM, RogueLibrarian said:

Nice! What’s your novel about?

1 hour ago, RogueLibrarian said:

Count of Monte Cristo meets Bisexual Leverage with Swords

I love it, when can I read it, I must read it.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

I love it, when can I read it, I must read it.

Ditto!

23 hours ago, RogueLibrarian said:

Thanksgiving weekend! (Any day that long weekend, Thurs-Sun)

Another NF friend (from the FB groups) wants to do it too, so I'm doing it.

HECK YEAH.

My running friends always tell me that the trick to running farther is just... running farther. Which I scoffed at as completely unhelpful until I, too, just tried running farther. 🤷‍♀️

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, raptron said:

My running friends always tell me that the trick to running farther is just... running farther.

What is this sorcery of which you speak!

If and when the writing is ever in a completed state, I promise to share the news here. :) 

Karate got postponed last night, and tonight I have a work commitment so I'm not sure if I can make it up tonight. It will be what it is -- I'm going to try to go for a run tomorrow morning as soon as I wake up, though.

• Like 2

On 9/17/2020 at 11:46 AM, RogueLibrarian said:

Karate got postponed last night, and tonight I have a work commitment so I'm not sure if I can make it up tonight. It will be what it is -- I'm going to try to go for a run tomorrow morning as soon as I wake up, though.

I did not! But I went for a run on Sunday. I'm amazed at how the weather affects my ability to run. I did 5K yesterday and felt pretty good about it. Onward toward 10K!

I didn't do karate last week; I've had chronic scheduling problems with my karate instructor for a long time now. I am one of the few (I think) people doing one-on-one video lessons, so I get that I can't be the top priority, but it annoys me. He has promised me two lessons this week as a makeup, and I'm going to bug him about following through.

I am trying an app called Habitshare that just notifies your friends on the app when you accomplish one of your goals for the day. If anyone wants to try it out with me, let me know.

Kickboxing tonight. Going for a walk break shortly to get moving.

I have lost a couple of pounds since starting tracking, but I put on my favorite jeans this morning for the first time in months, and they are too tight to be comfortable.

• Like 2

I did not! But I went for a run on Sunday. I'm amazed at how the weather affects my ability to run. I did 5K yesterday and felt pretty good about it. Onward toward 10K!

Assuming this is that you can run farther in cooler weather? If so, I'm totally with you. Went on my usual walk last night when it was in the mid-50s, and didn't want to stop. I need to find a longer route. You're gonna nail that 10K. 

I am trying an app called Habitshare that just notifies your friends on the app when you accomplish one of your goals for the day. If anyone wants to try it out with me, let me know.

I‘ll play!