WolfDreamer and The Fall

WolfDreamer

11 hours ago, WolfDreamer said:

my wife made chili this weekend, which I consider to be an excellent fall meal

That’s my birthday meal, every year that I can remember.  It is the perfect fall meal, And it’s on the books for Friday.  

I told my stepmom that I make excellent jalapeño cheddar corn muffins, so that’s going with it.  I make them with bacon jam and cinnamon honey butter.  It touches every part of the pallet perfectly.  

Not especially diet friendly,  but a good treat. :) 

• Like 2

Level 2 Satyress adventurerSTR 3|DEX 3|STA 2|CON 2|WIS 7|CHA 6

First Challenge:  Disney Song Playlist (April 15th, 2013)

Second Challenge:  Better late than never (June 6, 2013)

"All great changes are preceded by chaos" - Deepak Chopra

3 minutes ago, echoesofwonder said:

I told my stepmom that I make excellent jalapeño cheddar corn muffins, so that’s going with it.  I make them with bacon jam and cinnamon honey butter.  It touches every part of the pallet perfectly.  

giphy.gif

Hoookaaay, I'm gonna need a recipe for that like right now! 

4 minutes ago, echoesofwonder said:

but a good treat

Oh, there's no doubt about that! I can honestly say just from looking at your description that I have never had anything like it, so it's already a treat!

Who am I? -- My NF Character

Current Challenge: The Mad Poet Becomes Supernatural

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

Winter is ComingWolfen Strengthens His Heart, Body, Mind, and Spirit, Wolfen Becomes One of the PeopleWolfen Strengthens His ChakrasWolfen Welcomes Summer and Gets Primal, Soulcon and Spartan, Wolfen Develops Mental ToughnessWolfen Joins the Wander SocietySoulcon, Spartan, School, and Stranger ThingsWolfen Becomes a Warrior EliteWolfen Goes Here and There and Back AgainWolfen Becomes a Soulcon Warrior EliteWolfen Returns to His RootsWolfen Wanders in Soul, Spirit, and BodyWolfen Owns the DayWolfen Searches for His Wild Heart, Wolfen Runs for His LifeWolfen Hits the TrailsWolfen Becomes an Explorer and Joins the ResistanceWolfen Goes Back to the SourceWolfen Begins the Hero's JourneyWolfDreamer Returns to the People,  WolfDreamer Pushes BackWolfDreamer PrioritizesBurpees, Books, and BrainworkBurpees, Books, Brainwork, and BodyworkWolfDreamer Masters the Four ElementsWolfDreamer Continues to Master the Four ElementsWolfDreamer Returns to SpartaWolfDreamer Returns to Middle EarthWolfDreamer Continues His Middle Earth AdventureWolfDreamer and the FallWolfDreamer Forges His Own PathWolfDreamer Has HopeWolfDreamer Returns to Middle EarthWolfDreamer Reads Harder, Breathes Harder, and Journals MoreWolfDreamer Embraces His Wild Poet

I'd rather sing one wild song and burst my heart with it, than live a thousand years watching my digestion and being afraid of the wet.” -- Jack London

“I wanted movement and not a calm course of existence. I wanted excitement and danger and the chance to sacrifice myself for my love.” -- Leo Tolstoy

"I feel love rising in my chest again
Rising like a burning sun into the day..." -- Gungor, "Hurricane"

"...wherever the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom." 2 Corinthians 3:17b

On 9/11/2020 at 2:31 PM, WolfDreamer said:

Eventually, it registered that the sounds were of a tree falling, and as soon as I realized it was a safe distance away from me I stopped running and just watched and listened.

I’m quite behind on threads.

A few years ago when I still lived in the States, the Mr and I did some walks around Southern Utah and Colorado. We did the Bryce Canyon “fairyland” hike after a heavy rain, and we were only one a few out on the trails that morning, and occasionally, you’d heard the sound of the hoodoos collapsing in the distance. One fell in front of us—safely away a couple of dozen feet away—but just a breath from the hiker ahead of us.

It was incredibly eerie.  

• Like 1

Druid and Adventurer

The Wye/Dean, UK

Epic Quest: Tales of Owlshire 
Instagram

I am late but following!

• Like 2

Adventurer, Half-Dwarf Chaotic-Good Paladin

Ne me dites jamais les chances!  ¡Nunca me digas las probabilidades!

Character Sheet Training Logs Challenges Prepping for Adventure PrepAdventure Prep Fall BabyWhen Are We Again, Anyway?WhirlwindThe Leaf's LocusHarnessing Hamingja New Roots More Beginnings, More Roots Cleaning Up Facing The Hailstorm Yo Ho Yo The... Keto Life For Me? Taming the Beast Another Step Towards the Future Baking, Suburban Homesteading, and Health, The Adventurers of the Lucky Vale IIIIIIIVVVI, VII VIIIIX

Spoiler

Perennial goals: Sleep 7+ hours a night, retain (and continue to learn) French and Spanish as a family, increase Spanish Proficiency for work and play,  read like a maniac on my own and with my kids, carry heavy stuff

Long term goals: Cut to 13-15% bodyfat, And now that I'm grown I eat five dozen eggs, so I'm roughly the size of a baaaaarge! -> Someday I'll challenge a Disney world Gaston to a push up contest and win

1 hour ago, Sciread77 said:

I am late but following!

tenor.gif?itemid=4186037

• Like 1

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

Winter is ComingWolfen Strengthens His Heart, Body, Mind, and Spirit, Wolfen Becomes One of the PeopleWolfen Strengthens His ChakrasWolfen Welcomes Summer and Gets Primal, Soulcon and Spartan, Wolfen Develops Mental ToughnessWolfen Joins the Wander SocietySoulcon, Spartan, School, and Stranger ThingsWolfen Becomes a Warrior EliteWolfen Goes Here and There and Back AgainWolfen Becomes a Soulcon Warrior EliteWolfen Returns to His RootsWolfen Wanders in Soul, Spirit, and BodyWolfen Owns the DayWolfen Searches for His Wild Heart, Wolfen Runs for His LifeWolfen Hits the TrailsWolfen Becomes an Explorer and Joins the ResistanceWolfen Goes Back to the SourceWolfen Begins the Hero's JourneyWolfDreamer Returns to the People,  WolfDreamer Pushes BackWolfDreamer PrioritizesBurpees, Books, and BrainworkBurpees, Books, Brainwork, and BodyworkWolfDreamer Masters the Four ElementsWolfDreamer Continues to Master the Four ElementsWolfDreamer Returns to SpartaWolfDreamer Returns to Middle EarthWolfDreamer Continues His Middle Earth AdventureWolfDreamer and the FallWolfDreamer Forges His Own PathWolfDreamer Has HopeWolfDreamer Returns to Middle EarthWolfDreamer Reads Harder, Breathes Harder, and Journals MoreWolfDreamer Embraces His Wild Poet

I'd rather sing one wild song and burst my heart with it, than live a thousand years watching my digestion and being afraid of the wet.” -- Jack London

“I wanted movement and not a calm course of existence. I wanted excitement and danger and the chance to sacrifice myself for my love.” -- Leo Tolstoy

3 hours ago, WolfDreamer said:

Hoookaaay, I'm gonna need a recipe for that like right now! 

okay so I make it up as I go every time.  I’ll be sure to try to write it down.  I tried it at a restaurant one time and was like,  I could do that!  So I did... 

I’ve been competitively baking since I was 8, so I kind of just know how wet I want it to be when going in the oven, which makes for terrible instructions.  But, for my new friend,  I’ll make it happen.  :)

Bacon jam recipe too?  That’s something you can make ahead because it takes all day in the crock pot.  Plus it makes more than you need so you can have bacon jam on everything...  or share the rest.  

• Like 3

Level 2 Satyress adventurerSTR 3|DEX 3|STA 2|CON 2|WIS 7|CHA 6

First Challenge:  Disney Song Playlist (April 15th, 2013)

Second Challenge:  Better late than never (June 6, 2013)

"All great changes are preceded by chaos" - Deepak Chopra

On 9/17/2020 at 8:10 PM, WolfDreamer said:

jamming to this:

Nice.  Do you like phonk?

On 9/21/2020 at 9:31 PM, WolfDreamer said:

value and purpose as men. Mansfield feels that men who do not know who they are are the most dangerous kinds of men.

Those who don't understand their shadow-selves are doomed to be enslaved by it.

On 9/21/2020 at 9:31 PM, WolfDreamer said:

I also started watching Lovecraft Country because it seemed appropriate with Halloween coming soon, and I really enjoyed the book and have been looking forward to the show. If you've seen it, comment with what you think of it so far

I can't give any input because I'm waiting for the whole season to drop and then binge-watch it, but it definitely looks like something up my ally.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Teros said:

Nice.  Do you like phonk?

I haven't listened to much of it, but I can definitely see (hear?) the appeal.

4 hours ago, Teros said:

Those who don't understand their shadow-selves are doomed to be enslaved by it.

“Everyone carries a shadow, and the less it is embodied in the individual’s conscious life, the blacker and denser it is. At all counts, it forms an unconscious snag, thwarting our most well-meant intentions.”

Good ol' Carl Jung.

4 hours ago, Teros said:

I can't give any input because I'm waiting for the whole season to drop and then binge-watch it, but it definitely looks like something up my ally.

That's fair. What I love about both the book and the series is that it embraces the creative genius of Lovecraft and yet slays his rampant and blatant racism by having very formidable and likable protagonists of color. One of the main protagonists, Atticus, even enjoys reading Lovecraft in spite of his awareness of the man's influence in the white supremacy movement of his time. In the series he speaks a version of a line that is actually spoken by his uncle in the book: "But stories are like people, Atticus. Loving them doesn’t make them perfect. You try to cherish their virtues and overlook their flaws. The flaws are still there, though."

• Like 2

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

giphy-downsized-large.gif

What. A. Week.

It hasn't been a bad one. Just... a lot. I'm trying to stay focused on things that are in my locus of control in spite of some news from out of our neighbor state, Kentucky (btw, if anyone here is from the Louisville area, I am truly sorry your city is in chaos right now).

I am becoming very mindful of the seasonal changes, noticing first the golden colors that have appeared in various shades, on leaves and in autumn blooms. I am also noticing the impact this is having on my sinuses; I am more susceptible to allergies in the fall than in the spring. I am also noticing the cooler mornings and how the breeze is cooler even if the air temperature is warm. I watched leaves fall on the river yesterday, longing to be either swimming or rowing a kayak along it as they fall. I rain the trails at Little Creek three times this week and found a small waterfall with a swimming hole at the bottom; I haven't been in it yet, but the plan is to get in the water this coming week because temperatures are supposed to go down into the 60s (F), perfect for a cool autumn wild swim.

Friday was madness. I needed to drive to the board of education office to turn in a paper (I am donating sick leave days to a friend who was diagnosed with COVID and has been hospitalized on a ventilator; even after she gets out she will need to be off work and on oxygen for 30 days). As I was sitting at a stoplight I noticed my engine was shaking a little bit and making a weird noise. I revved the engine just a little bit, thinking maybe it was just cold or something, but as soon as I went back to idling it did the same thing. I called my wife and then called the car dealership because my car is still under warranty. I dropped the paper off and then had to drive to an appointment at my daughter's school (which went well, btw). When I started my car again, it was shaky again and making similar sounds as before, and this time the "Check Engine" light came on. My appointment at the dealership wasn't for a few more hours, but I was worried the car would die before then, and I knew I couldn't afford a tow truck. I drove straight to the dealership, parked my car, and told them what was happening. They agreed to take it in early, and I decided to take a walk.

I walked along the railroad tracks behind an area that is fenced off and blocked by tall trees. You can't see it from the road, but the railroad tracks run right behind this area. As I walked the tracks I had this bizarre feeling that was a juxtaposition of novelty and familiarity; I knew I had never been here before, and yet as I walked along I felt somehow like I had been there before. It was a very dreamlike experience. It turns out the area that is blocked by trees is a landfill, no longer in use, and it was really beautiful. Then once the landfill ended the space opened up as the railroad tracks crossed a bridge over a section of backwater that is actually the mouth of Armour Creek; the creek mouth is so wide that it more resembles a lake than a creek. I found a small trail next to the railroad tracks that follows down to the creek mouth to a little fishing area. I was surprised at the size of this area of water, but I was also bothered (but maybe not surprised) by the trash and debris along the shore.

I returned to the railroad tracks and followed them until I finally reached a road that crosses them. This was familiar territory because my father used to live in a neighborhood nearby, and I had ridden my bike in this area before. The road led through an industrial park and out to the main road. I followed it, and then decided to just walk the main road back to the car dealership. I sat in the waiting room for about twenty minutes before a man called my name and informed me that I had some engine damage and they would be getting me a rental car. I have never been so grateful to have a warranty because he wasn't clear how much engine damage or what would be the cause. So for now I am driving a Chevy Trax.

Week Two Update:

• woke up before sunrise every day except Sunday
  • said the Lord's Prayer every morning, as well as a prayer of gratitude
  • took the dogs outside while barefoot and shirtless; the mornings have been not quite as cool as last week but still noticeably cooler than summer mornings
  • took cold showers every morning
  • trail runs are going great; still having gps issues, but it feels great to just pay attention to my body and enjoy the run
  • bought some apple cider and made a warm cup this morning; it was delicious
  • my wife is planning to make vegetable soup this week; I went shopping with her yesterday while my little one stayed with my oldest daughter
  • virtual conferences with students are going well
  • still taking daily walks around campus M-F
  • still trying to drink a lot of water but not stressing about if it is a gallon or not
  • continuing to read Men on Fire and started listening to The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman (which I have read twice and still really love)
  • been getting to bed by 10:30
  • Like 6

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

23 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Good thing you have that warranty. I hope the fix stays fixed.

Thank you. Same. I have a bit of PTS when it comes to cars breaking down. I remember being stranded with my parents several times and being without a working vehicle a few times, as well. So far that has not happened to me as an adult.

7 hours ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

oooh the audiobook of Ocean at the End of the Lane is good isn't it? I really like listening to Neil read his books. 

I agree. This is my second time listening to the audiobook. I have also listened to several of his collections of short stories. Neil is an amazing storyteller. I like to imagine I am sitting with him in a dusty library somewhere listening to him tell stories.

7 hours ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

Holy cats that's scary stuff with the car! I'm with Tank, good thing you had that warranty! Hopefully you won't have anymore issues with it. 

Thank you. I sure as heck hope not.

• Like 3

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

So it's my birthday... It started out really well. In fact, the fun started last night when I got a message from my 16 year old daughter: "You can not and I mean can not look at Amazon for a couple days." I laughed at this for like two minutes. It's especially hilarious because she knows my brain has a tendency to be childish; she knows I want to look, and because she told me not to look the temptation is so much worse.

Aaaaand then this morning I rolled my ankle. I felt and heard it pop several times. I don't think I broke anything, but it is sore. I have it propped up on a desk while I work.

Then, because of some technical issues, I couldn't have my 9:30 conference. Luckily, I had some assignments posted, so I contacted my students and just had them work on their assignments. And later, once I was able to finally log in, the audio and video were lagging. So, I just had my students type in the chat window. It's not ideal, but it's better than nothing.

I think my wife and littlest daughters are planning to take me out for dinner this evening. Even if not, I plan to enjoy time with them anyway. Things are going really well at home. My wife and I are really working together through the mess and the chaos, and we are finding time for one another, even though most of the day we are either working or taking care of the kids.

I'll post an official update for the week this weekend.

• Like 5

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

On 10/2/2020 at 8:47 AM, echoesofwonder said:

Happy belated birthday new friend!  

I was saving this for you:

0DE9686E-5481-44B1-BD66-CE93BD8DB761.jpeg.1dc93e31560b5ee4f81c4a7f3acd8e8d.jpeg

Thank you so much! This is perfect.

My birthday was awesome, other than hurting my ankle. Which is healing well, I think. The swelling has gone down, but it is still pretty sore, so no running for me yet. It was difficult to cancel on my buddy Rick this weekend and not be on the trails. But, he started early and ran for a little over 9 hours, covering 31 miles of trails and road. He feels much more confident in his ability to run for hours.

My daughters bought me some gifts for my birthday:

I have already started reading both books; the bookmark is now in the copy of Becoming a King and the watch is on my wrist.

I have been tossing around in my brain the idea to start posting Shakespeare monologues and soliloquies to social media. I really miss the stage, and my love for Shakespeare runs pretty deep. Well... today, this happened:

I started by posting two video clips to TikTok, and then I stitched them together and posted it to my IGTV. I think I'll make this a regular thing, posting monologues and soliloquies and some poetry to my social media. We all need more performance art in our lives, right? And, as I said, I miss the stage.

Things are still going well. I am absorbing and admiring the changing colors, which are happening quickly but profoundly.

Week Three Update:

• woke up before sunrise every day except Sunday
  • said the Lord's Prayer every morning, as well as a prayer of gratitude, and started reading my daily devotional
  • took the dogs outside while barefoot and shirtless; we are back to chilly mornings again, mid to upper 40s (F)
  • took cold showers every morning
  • trail runs are on pause because of my ankle injury
  • tried some bison bone broth with apple cider and a variety of spices; it was crisp and delicious
  • my wife made homemade potato soup this week; it was incredible
  • virtual conferences with students are going well, but this week they are actually returning to school, so I am both excited and nervous
  • still taking daily walks around campus M-F but taking it easy because of my ankle
  • still trying to drink a lot of water but not stressing about if it is a gallon or not
  • starting to read Becoming a King and still listening to The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman (which I have read twice and still really love)
  • been getting to bed by 10:30
  • Like 6

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

For the record I love the Shakespeare monologues. When I think of it I’ll search you out on TikTok and follow. 

• Like 1

Adventurer, Half-Dwarf Chaotic-Good Paladin

Ne me dites jamais les chances!  ¡Nunca me digas las probabilidades!

Character Sheet Training Logs Challenges Prepping for Adventure PrepAdventure Prep Fall BabyWhen Are We Again, Anyway?WhirlwindThe Leaf's LocusHarnessing Hamingja New Roots More Beginnings, More Roots Cleaning Up Facing The Hailstorm Yo Ho Yo The... Keto Life For Me? Taming the Beast Another Step Towards the Future Baking, Suburban Homesteading, and Health, The Adventurers of the Lucky Vale IIIIIIIVVVI, VII VIIIIX

Spoiler

Perennial goals: Sleep 7+ hours a night, retain (and continue to learn) French and Spanish as a family, increase Spanish Proficiency for work and play,  read like a maniac on my own and with my kids, carry heavy stuff

Long term goals: Cut to 13-15% bodyfat, And now that I'm grown I eat five dozen eggs, so I'm roughly the size of a baaaaarge! -> Someday I'll challenge a Disney world Gaston to a push up contest and win

On 10/10/2020 at 9:38 AM, Snarkyfishguts said:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!  it's a little late, but any day a person wishes you a happy birthday means you can eat cake. 

Those are the rules. I didn't make them (lies) but I fully support the rules in this case (truth)

:D 

Thank you! We also celebrated my wife's birthday this past weekend, and my daughter baked a cake for her.

17 hours ago, Teros said:

How's the ankle and the car?

The ankle is recovering. It still hurts sometimes (when I say "hurt" I mean it feels sore, mostly at the end of the day, but if I move it certain ways there is still some pain), but I think it's getting better. I realized it's been two weeks today, and I know it can take 3-6 weeks for a sprain to fully heal.

I just got my car back this week. I guess they had to go through my trunk to get to whatever needed fixing because most of the stuff that was in my trunk was moved to the back seat (I have a lot of books in my car). The good news is it gave me a reason to clean out my car (but there are still a lot of books in my car). My wife said, "But your car is not a library." I smiled at her and said, "Do you know how many times I've gone to a doctor's appointment or something and needed a book to read. Oh look, there are some in my car!" She just shook her head.

15 hours ago, Sciread77 said:

For the record I love the Shakespeare monologues. When I think of it I’ll search you out on TikTok and follow. 

Thank you. I am really enjoying them. It is a great creative outlet and is giving my mind some relief from the chaos.

I'll post an update for last week and this week Saturday. I'm tossing around some ideas in my head for the next challenge.

• Like 5

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

4 hours ago, WolfDreamer said:

I just got my car back this week. I guess they had to go through my trunk to get to whatever needed fixing because most of the stuff that was in my trunk was moved to the back seat (I have a lot of books in my car). The good news is it gave me a reason to clean out my car (but there are still a lot of books in my car). My wife said, "But your car is not a library." I smiled at her and said, "Do you know how many times I've gone to a doctor's appointment or something and needed a book to read. Oh look, there are some in my car!" She just shook her head.

Hoarding's not hoarding if it's books you read.

• Like 3

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath