• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

raptron

Raptron Doesn't Look Back at Explosions

It is super pretty up here. SO MISTY AND SPOOKY AND COOL. 

Day 3.1

I skipped my jog. Oops. I was pretty hungover in the day, so I had a raging internal debate about going for a run, but I ultimately wimped out and did not. I made flank steak tacos with a roasted poblano sauce and a tangy cabbage slaw. They weren't my best because I didn't get a very good sear on the flank steak, but the flavors were all good. 

We played a couple of board games, watched a really bad horror movie, and went to bed early to catch up from Sunday. 

Day 3.2

Jogged 4 miles at a sloooow ~9:20 pace. It was very hilly. I did not enjoy it. Also, I'm getting more blisters than normal, which is possibly because of how I'm running or it could be because the island is just shrouded in mists the entire time, so my feet are more wet? Either way, don't love that, haha. The humidity was wild. I did a ton of mobility and flexibility work after this jog as well, for those gymnast points.

We had a lobster dinner, played Settlers of Catan, and ran around in the fields in the dark. 

LIFT: 7/12 weight sessions

RUN: 5/6 jogging or cardio sessions

BIKE: 0/1 bike trips

GYMNASTICKY: 5/6 gymnastics activities

• Like 6

Day 3.3

I was optimistic about doing a workout when I got home but it was like 9:30 PM by the time we got back to the city and I was exhausted. I went to bed at 10:30 instead.

Day 3.4

Long day, but I felt better after sleeping a decent chunk of the night. I got to the gym right after work.

Squats: 3 x 5 x 245# <-- squats are still off. 🤷‍♀️

Bench: 5 x 4 x 145#

Dips: 3 x 10

Pull-ups: 4 x 3

And then I had to run because my BFF and I got tacos for dinner.

In a hilarious and very Boston turn of events, Bike Boi ( @Mike Wazowski's fave) moved into an apartment literally across the street from me. I had a couple of neighborly beers in his back yard with him and his roommate. 

LIFT: 8/12 weight sessions

RUN: 5/6 jogging or cardio sessions

GYMNASTICKY: 5/6 gymnastics activities

I'm going to try doing yoga again to help supplement the lack of mobility and stability work in my schedule. Maybe 3x a week to start. It'll be my replacement goal for bike stuff.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, raptron said:

In a hilarious and very Boston turn of events, Bike Boi ( @Mike Wazowski's fave) moved into an apartment literally across the street from me. I had a couple of neighborly beers in his back yard with him and his roommate. 

This merited the haha react. Enjoy the proximity to Bike Boi.

• Like 1

Day 3.5

Went back to the gym on Friday to lift during the daytime to avoid the evening rush and finish up in time to get to the WEEKEND earlier. 

Deadlifts: 3 x 295#, 3 x 305#, 3 x 315#, 3 x 1 x 325# 

Bench: 4 x 3 x 155#

BSS: 4 x 8 x 40#

Lat pulldowns: 4 x 15 x 70#

Made dinner with QP and watched a spooky movie. 

Day 3.6

Went to the gym in the late morning for a classic, slow Saturday session. I was kind of sore, so I didn't have much by way of expectations for this workout and I got to catch up with a couple of gym friends. It took me like 3 hours to do this workout, lol. LOTS OF SETS OF SOCIALIZING.

Bench: 3 x 2 x 160#, 3 x 8 x 135#

Squats: 3 x 245#, 3 x 255#, 3 x 265#, 3 x 270# <-- not good but also not that bad. 🤷‍♀️

Pull-ups: 4 x 6

Half kneeling db press: 4 x 8 x 30#

Curls: 4 x 8 x 20#

After that, I also put on a timer for 30 minutes to stretch and work on handstand holds/transitions. I had some nice, controlled straddle to straight to straddle holds. Hip positioning is still my greatest nemesis.

GC and I met up for drinks, dumplings, and then smoked and watched movies aka just ranted over movies playing in the background. We both fell asleep on the couch, lol. Wholesome.

Day 3.7

I had a pretty perfect solitary Sunday. I got a whole bunch of amazing breakfast from a local, bougie mediterranean place, which I ate in the park on a sunny autumn day. I took a short nap, read a short story from Her Body and Other Parties, went to a running store to finally address my running shoe issues, and picked up a new pair (and Dunkin Donuts collab sunglasses... 👀). I got home and immediately changed for a run. 

I jogged 5 miles at ~9 min/mile in my new shoes. They felt good! I'm very excited to have hopefully ended the footwear saga that started back in May. I'll run short distances in the ones I've been training in this summer, but these new ones are definitely the way to go to keep my feet less blistered and ready for more miles. ✌️ 

After that, I showered, FINALLY churned through the last 40 pages of my friend's mom's manuscript (two weeks later than I intended 🙈), redyed my roots, and watched a couple of episodes of Cobra Kai. 

LIFT: 10/12 weight sessions

RUN: 6/6 jogging or cardio sessions

GYMNASTICKY: 6/6 gymnastics activities

• Like 5

20 hours ago, raptron said:

I jogged 5 miles at ~9 min/mile in my new shoes. They felt good! I'm very excited to have hopefully ended the footwear saga that started back in May. I'll run short distances in the ones I've been training in this summer, but these new ones are definitely the way to go to keep my feet less blistered and ready for more miles. ✌️ 

After that, I showered, FINALLY churned through the last 40 pages of my friend's mom's manuscript (two weeks later than I intended 🙈), redyed my roots, and watched a couple of episodes of Cobra Kai. 

Sounds like a solid weekend, and no doubt nice to get that editing obligation off your list. Here's to the shoe saga being finished!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Manarelle said:

Sounds like a solid weekend, and no doubt nice to get that editing obligation off your list. Here's to the shoe saga being finished!

I'm super stoked about both of these things!

Day 4.1

There have been two positive COVID cases in my gym's member base in the last two weeks. 🙈Both are in the school system -- one is a professor and the other is a college student. I think both probably were compromised AT SCHOOL, but we obviously can't know for sure. I got tested again before I went to Maine and was negative, and I was not in the gym within 2 hours of either of them at any point in the last two weeks according to our sign in sheets. However, I am now nervous that someone else or even multiple other people at the gym could have become infected. I'm still figuring out how I want to proceed. I will strictly avoid peak hours if I do continue going. 

With that in mind and the fact that I've been trying to avoid Mondays in general because they're too busy, I figured out something else to do in the evening.

So, I joined into one of the remote handstand classes for the first time in a few months. It had ALLLL of the shoulder work and drills, plus straight to straddle transition work, pike press drills (because the instructor tailored to what we've been working on 🤩) and endurance work. I maybe kicked over a bunch of stuff in my room during straddle work (part of why I got so into pike pressing, haha), but it was a really good hour. My shoulders are definitely tired this morning. 

Not content with that, I went for a 30 minute jog. I found a half marathon plan I'll likely try to follow for the next 10-12 weeks, so here we go. ✌️ I'm also reading The Hybrid Athlete to scope out some recommendations about how to balance lifting and running at the same time. 

I got home, made dinner (pesto + goat cheese penne... and a can of tuna because I'm a savage who needed protein, lol), read a bit, and went to bed early! My body was unsurprisingly tired. 😝

LIFT: 10/15 weight sessions

RUN: 7/9 jogging or cardio sessions (I need 3 runs this week)

YOGA: 0/3 yoga workouts

GYMNASTICKY: 7/8 gymnastics activities

• Like 5

Day 4.2

I did wind up going into the gym in the mid-afternoon... my reluctance was short lived, I guess. It was relatively empty and two of the people there were people I like and work out with on the regular who haven't overlapped with either of the COVID peeps either.

Bench: 4 x 3 x 155#, 4 x 150#

Squats: 2 x 4 x 255#, 2 x 3 x 255#

Dips: 3 x 10

Glute ham raises: 3 x 8

Elbow-hand plank transitions: 3 x 12

I had dinner with my friend to finally return her mother's manuscript to her and catch up for the first time in a couple of months. And it was really soul lifting and delightful. Love her. I had a video call after and stayed up a bit later than I meant to. Oops.

Day 4.3

I awoke to mid-to-low back feeling tight and maybe a little bit strained. My back cramped a little on bench the day before and my mid-back in particular has felt a bit annoyed with me when I squat, so it seemed like a wombo combo.

The plan had been to go to do a circuit field workout with some coworkers in the late afternoon (and use getting there as my vehicle for getting in a quick 2 mi jog for my half marathon plan -- which feels too short to just suit up for without adding on another workout or activity). BUT, we got hit by a wild thunderstorm just as I was planning to leave. We cancelled the workout. 

Since my back wasn't feeling super hot, I took the day off of exercise. I wanted to get in some gentle yoga, but I didn't make time for it. I had D&D to finish prepping for (BOSS BATTLE), went to get groceries, and prepped a ton of food -- including salsa verde enchiladas. I ate a bunch of shitty cookies while I was cooking, so I wasn't super hungry when they were done, but I'm trying to make sure I'm good about fueling while I'm lifting AND running, so I used some of the leftover pulled chicken + salsa verde + black bean + zucchini filling for quicker to eat tacos while the enchiladas were in the oven. 

D&D went well! We're about halfway through the big boss battle after a lot of waffling and wavering about how to approach the encounter. It's a big spooky demon fight with lair mechanics, magical darkness, malaise, and thralls periodically being raised from the cave floors. It's kind of metal. 

LIFT: 11/15 weight sessions

RUN: 7/9 jogging or cardio sessions

YOGA: 0/3 yoga workouts

Th - lift + yoga

F - jog 2-3 miles + running-focused yoga

Sa - lift early + handstand work outside (it's supposed to be 78) + yoga + hang with QP

Su - 5-6 mile jog with someone who slid into my DMs yesterday (lol, we know each other but it's reading like a move) + zombie moth tattoo appointment 😍

• Like 4

Day 4.4

I did 20 minutes of mid-back focused yoga during lunch to try to loosen up the stiffness. It helped a little bit but honestly, the workout below helped more... somehow? Maybe I just needed to get really moving again. 

Deadlifts: 4 x 5 x 305#

Deficit deadlifts: 3 x 3 x 275# <-- woof

Bench: 5 x 5 x 150# <-- yay

DB Rows: 4 x 12 x 45#

Lean-back assisted shrimp squats (I hold onto something and make it kind of like a bss but the knee goes to the ground... booty stuff): 4 x 15

Anddd, I think that was it for the workout! 

LIFT: 12/15 weight sessions

RUN: 7/9 jogging or cardio sessions

YOGA: 1/3 yoga workouts

It's MOTHERFUCKIN FRIDAY. 🎊

• Like 4

tenor.gif?itemid=11925843

On 10/8/2020 at 8:56 AM, raptron said:

went to get groceries, and prepped a ton of food -- including salsa verde enchiladas. I ate a bunch of shitty cookies while I was cooking, so I wasn't super hungry when they were done, but I'm trying to make sure I'm good about fueling while I'm lifting AND running, so I used some of the leftover pulled chicken + salsa verde + black bean + zucchini filling for quicker to eat tacos while the enchiladas were in the oven. 

Now I’m hungry for enchiladas. Plus, love the idea of making enchiladas for tomorrow, and just scooping sh*t into a tortilla for tonight. Stealing!

• Like 2

On 10/9/2020 at 3:59 PM, raptron said:

I did 20 minutes of mid-back focused yoga during lunch to try to loosen up the stiffness. It helped a little bit but honestly, the workout below helped more... somehow? Maybe I just needed to get really moving again. 

The body is friggin mysterious. 

• Like 1

On 10/8/2020 at 11:56 AM, raptron said:

zombie moth tattoo appointment 😍

Oooooooooh! I read that you were thinking about another tattoo, but I missed when you decided what it was. Sounds interesting, might there be pictures afterwards? 

• Like 1

On 10/9/2020 at 3:16 PM, PaulG said:

Now I’m hungry for enchiladas. Plus, love the idea of making enchiladas for tomorrow, and just scooping sh*t into a tortilla for tonight. Stealing!

I'm often starving when I'm trying to cook big batch recipes, so having ways to eat it faster is key for me. Or I eat leftovers while prepping the next thing, haha.

On 10/12/2020 at 5:37 AM, KB Girl said:

The body is friggin mysterious. 

TRULY.

19 hours ago, Manarelle said:

Oooooooooh! I read that you were thinking about another tattoo, but I missed when you decided what it was. Sounds interesting, might there be pictures afterwards? 

I went bigger than I originally intended to... but I think it looks cool! She's a big mushroom moth baby. This is it right out of the shower peeling off my first adhesive bandage and washing it up. It's re-sealed now.

EPvdODn.jpg

• Like 7

Day 4.5

I jogged 2.75 miles at the end of the day. I did some cooldown yoga post-run. 🧘‍♀️ And then some more intensive bridge and split work.

After that, I picked up some groceries, made pumpkin bars, and had some video chats with friends. It was a wholesome Friday night at home.

Day 4.6

Saturday had a slow start -- I slept in a little bit. ❤️ I got my coffee and headed to the lifting gym.

Squats: 3 x 265, 3 x 275#, 3 x 1 x 285#

Bench: 3 x 2 x 165# <-- woooo 🎊

Half kneeling db press: 3 x 7 x 35#

Weighted dips: 4 x 4 x 25#

Single leg kb rdl: 4 x 12 x 65#

Later on, I got dinner with QP and we hung out and watched the horror anthology Southbound -- it was middling but enjoyable. 

Day 4.7

Sunday morning, I read and cleaned the kitchen.

Jogged 5.5 miles with a friend -- 2 laps around a pretty, wooded reservoir. I haven't done many training runs with other people and his pace is a bit slower than mine -- though also our apps reported a very different pace, haha. We actually stayed conversational the whole time! Which is the like gold standard for an "easy jog" and not something I normally manage. He brought beer (hah) so we had a couple after, but I had to run to my tattoo appointment. 

My session was almost 3 hours and I was just sitting in a folding chair, trying not to lean too far forward or to die. I had really hoped I would get to lay down for this one. ALAS. The artist was cool though, and I like the new piece. I spend a lot of time going "UGUGHUSG DO I ACTUALLY LIKE THIS!?? IT'S COOL RIGHT? ISN'T IT? I LIKE IT. I DEFINITELY LIKE IT. DON'T I LIKE IT?" after each new tattoo. It's an adjustment period. I've also joked that since it's behind my neck I don't even HAVE TO like it. (I do! The mushroom house is so cute 😭)

3 of my lifting friends did an outdoor movie night with a projector onto a garage. It worked pretty well. I cocooned in some blankets and went to bed as soon as I got home.

LIFT: 13/15 weight sessions

RUN: 9/9 jogging or cardio sessions

YOGA: 2/3 yoga workouts

GYMNASTICKY: 8/8 gymnastics activities

• Like 5

4 hours ago, raptron said:

My session was almost 3 hours and I was just sitting in a folding chair, trying not to lean too far forward or to die. I had really hoped I would get to lay down for this one. ALAS. The artist was cool though, and I like the new piece. I spend a lot of time going "UGUGHUSG DO I ACTUALLY LIKE THIS!?? IT'S COOL RIGHT? ISN'T IT? I LIKE IT. I DEFINITELY LIKE IT. DON'T I LIKE IT?" after each new tattoo. It's an adjustment period. I've also joked that since it's behind my neck I don't even HAVE TO like it. (I do! The mushroom house is so cute 😭)

Oof, rough go, not being able to lie down for that long. It looks great, though, and I love the recursion in the picture you took. The moth is very cool, and you're right, the mushroom house is adorable. The best part (imo) about back tattoos is that you forget you have them and then catch a glimpse and get to wonder at it all over again. 

• Like 2

Oh this looks so cool! Very nice design and kudos for sitting that long. And also for meeting people afterwards. OO How were you not totally dead tired after that? :) 

I hear you on the "Do I really like this??". I know that feeling... xD though I mostly get it a few days before an appointment. After it's done it is always just pure love (or has been so far... xD). 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Manarelle said:

Oof, rough go, not being able to lie down for that long. It looks great, though, and I love the recursion in the picture you took. The moth is very cool, and you're right, the mushroom house is adorable. The best part (imo) about back tattoos is that you forget you have them and then catch a glimpse and get to wonder at it all over again. 

So true!  And thank you!

18 hours ago, Epsilonte said:

Oh this looks so cool! Very nice design and kudos for sitting that long. And also for meeting people afterwards. OO How were you not totally dead tired after that? :) 

I hear you on the "Do I really like this??". I know that feeling... xD though I mostly get it a few days before an appointment. After it's done it is always just pure love (or has been so far... xD). 

I was definitely a little dead and shaky, but it was a short movie and we grilled steaks. I just huddled in my blanket cocoon, hehe. Weirdly enough, the hardest part of this one was along my left shoulder/trap -- the one that gives me grief sometimes. It has a bunch of muscle knots and other things happening. Tattooing sections of that was horrible, while over my spine, which I assumed would be the worst, was actually ok. 🤷‍♀️ People also always saying tattooing butts is practically painless and the butt portions of my sphinx tattoo were actually the worst. It's funny how highly individualized the responses are. 

Day 5.1-5.2

I took a rest day on Monday, but went for a 5 mile walk around town, read a bunch, took a nap, and started binging the Haunting of Bly Manor

Tuesday was also a rest day. I was considering going for a short run, but it was 50 and raining all day, so that didn't especially encourage me. I have an adhesive bandage layer on my tattoo this week while it's healing, but it's in an area that will be moving a ton AND sweating a ton no matter what kind of exercises I choose. Giving it another day to rest/heal was probably the right move anyway and the rain provided a good reinforcement. 

LIFT: 13/18 weight sessions

RUN: 9/12 jogging or cardio sessions

YOGA: 2/6 yoga workouts

GYMNASTICKY: 8/10 gymnastics activities

It's Wednesday... I will figure out some kind of lifting situation without too much upper back movement for today and maybe do a short (2-3 mile run). 

• Like 4

On 10/13/2020 at 4:19 PM, raptron said:

I spend a lot of time going "UGUGHUSG DO I ACTUALLY LIKE THIS!?? IT'S COOL RIGHT? ISN'T IT? I LIKE IT. I DEFINITELY LIKE IT. DON'T I LIKE IT?" after each new tattoo. It's an adjustment period. I've also joked that since it's behind my neck I don't even HAVE TO like it. (I do! The mushroom house is so cute 😭)

It's awesome! The tiny house is adorable ❤️ 

Never would have thought this would be going on in your head, so interesting! encouraging also. For future tattoo plans.

You were probably due some extra rest days anyway right?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KB Girl said:

You were probably due some extra rest days anyway right?

Almost definitely. But you knowwww, I don't like them. 😝

Day 5.3

I headed to the gym to see what I could do. Back squats are fully out, but front squats, split squats, and the belt squat will all work while I heal. 😄

Front squats: 5 x 5 x 185#

BSS: 4 x 10 x 40#

Hypers: 4 x 20 x 65# w/5s static hold after last rep

Curls: 4 x 8 x 20# <-- I got worse at these after not curlin' for a while, haha.

Lat raises: 4 x 10 x 15#

Then I switched shoes and went on a 2.5 mile jog using the gym as my home base. The first mile was horrible, but my body stopped being a brat and the following 1.5 miles was actually fine. We're in week 3 of the half marathon plan. ✌️ 

LIFT: 14/18 weight sessions

RUN: 10/12 jogging or cardio sessions

YOGA: 2/6 yoga workouts

Today: yoga + lifting 

Friday: jog + handstand class + takeout and pumpkin carving with one of my BFFs

Sat: yoga + lifting + dinner w/QP

Sun: jog + deep stretch work + ??? 

• Like 4

Day 5.4

I finally went to the ob/gyn for the pelvic floor weirdness I have been experiencing for a few months now (and a pap because I was due). She helped dismiss my concerns that my uterus was falling out or that fibroids had fully taken over or anything dramatically structurally obvious and confirmed that I had the right feeling to try to pursue pelvic PT. 😅So now I have no excuse. I did also learn that my health insurance covers the HPV vaccine for all women and men under 45! So that's great and I'll be scheduling those soon. It came out when I was a teenager and the prevailing advice at the time was that it was "too late" because I was already sexually active... which is completely ridiculous, so I'm glad the standards have changed.

Anyway, I wrapped up work kind of lazily (not focusing so well this week), and went to lift.

Deadlifts: 3 x 285#, 3 x 295#, 2 x 3 x 315#, 2 x 315# <-- oh, we're friends now. We just hang out. 

Belt squats: 4 x 10 x 120#

DB rows: 4 x 10 x 45#

Wide push-ups: 3 x 15

Plank complex: 3 sets

Was this too much shoulder movement and sweat for my adhesive bandage? Probably. Did I do it all anyway? Yes. 😝

I made buffalo mac for dinner -- A CLASSIC for a reason. 

LIFT: 15/18 weight sessions

RUN: 10/12 jogging or cardio sessions

YOGA: 3/6 yoga workouts

• Like 4

On 10/16/2020 at 4:24 PM, raptron said:

She helped dismiss my concerns that my uterus was falling out or that fibroids had fully taken over or anything dramatically structurally obvious and confirmed that I had the right feeling to try to pursue pelvic PT. 😅So now I have no excuse. I did also learn that my health insurance covers the HPV vaccine for all women and men under 45! So that's great and I'll be scheduling those soon.

This is all excellent! :) 

I especially like that your uterus is still where it’s supposed to be and looking to stay there. 😄

• Like 1
  • That's Metal 1

18 minutes ago, KB Girl said:

This is all excellent! :) 

I especially like that your uterus is still where it’s supposed to be and looking to stay there. 😄

ME TOO.

Day 5.5

Jogged 3.5 miles at 8:30/mile -- pretty quick! -- for the corporate challenge my office is participating in. It was raining. I jog faster in the rain. 🏃‍♀️

Later on one of my BFFs, my roommate, and I carved pumpkins, ate pizza, drank, and sang-a-long late into the night.

JSXx51T.jpg

Mine is the simplest/upside-down one -- but it was totally appropriate. 🙃

Day 5.6

Saturday was a beautiful, sunny fall day! 

Bench: 5 x 3 x 150# <-- these were not great, but it'd been about a week since I last benched because of tat recovery time

Front squats: 4 x 3 x 185# paused, 3 x 195# paused, 3 x 2 x 205#

Chin-ups: 5 x 6

BSS: 4 x 10 x 45#

Lat raises: 4 x 10 x 15#

Front plate raises: 4 x 12 x 25#

My gym is across from a cemetery (we make a lot of jokes about this) and the trees were really showing off, so I walked over there and took some pictures after my workout.

KzgpeNe.jpg

Saturday night, I had a chill night in with QP. We watched Blackcoat's Daughter, which I enjoyed. Very slow and atmospheric. 

Day 5.7

Long run Sunday was still a bit brief -- I ran 5.5 miles at a bit under 9:00/mile. Not bad. I did blister a tiny bit in my new shoes because I wore some of my less fancy socks, so I think making sure my good running socks are clean on the longer runs is going to be key moving forward. 

My tattoo is healing well, BUT I did have a reaction to the adhesive bandage (which normally happens for me but I usually decide it's worth it for the accelerated healing), so I do have a bit of an itchy rash that I'm working very hard not to scratch. 

Otherwise, I got some drinks with my other BFF and one of my good friends, ate french fries and soft serve, and then pretty much went to bed. I slept A LOT this weekend. I think tattoo healing + allergic reaction + season change + running and lift = a very sleepyyyy Raptron. So, I'm listening to my body and sleeping a bunch. ✌️ 

LIFT: 16/18 weight sessions

RUN: 12/12 jogging or cardio sessions

YOGA: 3/6 yoga workouts

Summary

Running x lifting is going well so far. I've finished 3 weeks of half marathon training. This program ramps up pretty slowly on weekly mileage, which is for the best. I have pretty much finished the lifting program I was loosely following, so I need to come up with a new strategy for the next 8-9 weeks to continue lifting while my mileage increases week to week. I did just finish reading The Hybrid Athlete by Alex Viada. It was mostly common sense recommendations that always bear repeating (recovery, recovery, recovery). One takeaway is that my accessory work should not overly tire or interfere with my running movements but should instead be supplementary and address weaknesses LIKE GLUTES, always glutes.

Yoga, my last minute add-on did not go super great. I haven't mentally made time or space for it yet, but think it is a good idea.

Gymnastics activities went pretty well, but I slacked this week. It's been cold. That is a bad excuse, but I'm sticking to it. 😝

• Like 5