• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sylvaa

Sylvaa Slows

Sylvaa has been doing some soul searching. 

Since I joined NF, I have done SO MUCH. Like seriously. My life has gone millions of miles a minute for so long that I've really forgotten how to not be busy. I've gotten into this habit of running head first towards a goal, either reaching it or having an obstacle get in my way, then dropping out of commission until I get another goal to run head first towards. I've lost track of what makes me happy. So this challenge, I'm going to focus on slowing down. I'm not choosing another goal this challenge (and probably not the next either!). I'm going to focus on finding out what makes my mind and body healthy and happy.

Make my mind happy and healthy

• I love my family, but they are exhausting. And our rental is laid out in a different manner than what we are used to, so privacy and alone time is pretty difficult. The only place I've been successful in being alone within the house is in my room - as long as my husband is at work and the baby is asleep. What makes the most sense is to find a way to be alone outside the house. 
  • Find a way to cultivate creativity. I spend a lot of time in front of the computer and I need an outlet that doesn't involve screen time. We rescued my daughter's guitar from the basement in the move, I get a book, something to color, and a word or number puzzle monthly. I've got recipes to try and crafts to create via Pinterest and my daughter. I just need to make this more of a priority.
  • Cultivate mindfulness and gratitude.
  • Declutter my life. Along with the move, we have a number of boxes that need to be gone through and either re-boxed up for storage or brought into the house where they belong. I have three different work to do lists. Additionally, I am trying to create a weekly cleaning habit (to make it more automatic instead of struggling to get the willpower). 

Make my body happy and healthy

• Make exercise a daily habit - I'm actually doing pretty well with this already, but I want to make sure I'm pushing myself. 
    • with the current program I am following, Sundays are for yoga. It definitely make sense to continue to do this. 
  • Stop eating junk. I feel better when I eat healthy. If I do eat junk, make it be homemade (by me - the local bakery doesn't count). That way, I at least know what I'm putting into my body.
    • Meal prep lunch. I tend to rely on leftovers, but I've not been doing a great job on "food clean-up"
  • Prioritize sleep and recovery.
  • Like 10

I love the structure of this challenge and the emphasis on just finding what works best for you. I especially like the prioritize sleep part. I have found that prioritizing sleep has been a foundational part of making progress with my other goals.

• Like 2

On 9/9/2020 at 3:45 PM, Sylvaa said:

I've got recipes to try and crafts to create via Pinterest and my daughter. I just need to make this more of a priority.

UWU like what !?  Maybe some horrible life hacks to make?

On 9/9/2020 at 3:45 PM, Sylvaa said:

running head first towards a goal, either reaching it or having an obstacle get in my way, then dropping out of commission until I get another goal to run head first towards.

Sounds like Arnold has some sage advice

15 hours ago, GoodDoug said:

I really hope you find your happiness. I'm sure it is there, it just needs to be unburied and dusted off.

I'm clarifying on your post, just because you made me go back and re-read my challenge (which isn't a bad thing!).

I am happy. For me at least, being unhappy is completely exhausting. It takes so much energy and effort to hold on to hurt or anger or any other feeling besides happiness, that my natural state is positive. And that's not a knock on anyone who struggles with mental health issues. I know how much harder that is than I make it seem in two sentences (also, it's totally not that easy). That's just my truth. I have the ability to make happiness my standard state, so I choose to. If you don't, that's okay too!

What I want to do with this challenge is to make sure I don't become the "This is Fine" dog. 

image.jpeg

I want to make sure the life I create for myself contributes to my happy state, versus making is harder to stay in that state. And I want to make sure the decisions I make are in line with that happiness. Because at some point, the external happiness I gain from my family and friends won't be there, and I'll need to depend more upon myself for that. I want to make sure the things I do are things that excite me, not just "this is who I am."  *Gets off soapbox

That was a long answer for a simple statement. But I think it was helpful for me too, so thank you!

Update:

• My daughter decided she wanted to do a different workout than the one we were doing together. She made it almost three weeks into the program before making that decision, so I'm very pleased with that (we actually thought it wouldn't take that long). So now I am doing two workouts - finishing out the program I started, then working out with my daughter. To be fair, the workouts with her aren't really hard for me, so it's not like they would be enough if I only did them. But I'm also not sure how prioritizing everything long-term works either. 
  • My long-term goal is to wake up when my husband does to read first thing in the morning. It gives me some quiet time before I start work and is something I enjoy. The cat is making that kind of difficult though, because she curls up on me and then I fall asleep with her. I did get two chapters in this morning before the sleep overtook me. I'm sure the cat needed the sleep though, so I'm okay with it. 
  • My step-daughter made brownies yesterday and I did not eat any. I gave my piece to the kids/baby so I wasn't tempted later too. Instead, I ate some dark chocolate I had "laying around". It was just as satisfying and didn't upset my stomach like the brownies would have (they were from a box). 
    • For new people: I struggle with an unknown intolerance to some additive(s) in commercial goods. I can go to the local farmers market and pick up any kind of baked good and be perfectly fine, but if I get it from a big box store, I'm just done. So many use the same products, it's really hard to isolate exactly what it is, so I just try to avoid most of them as is.
  • We met with the builder at the beginning of this month to discuss our house plan and our vision. They are working on updated blue prints (well, not blue prints yet - the prototype before the blueprints) and what the total cost is going to be. They should have this back to us within the next two weeks for us to schedule again to make sure it's within our budget, make changes if not, and then start choosing products. This has us on track to begin the build in early 2021, which is what we are aiming for.
  • My daughter got hired at Wal-Mart, so this Saturday, we are taking the baby with us to the Farmer's Market so she can go to orientation. We did this last weekend and it was really fun. We got him a cookie while we had our coffee and he enjoyed being out of the house. 
  • Like 6

Now we need to leave a from scratch brownie recipe laying around for your step-daughter to discover. Muwahahaha

I need quiet time in the morning too. I find it's the difference between my family having horns growing out of their heads and just being normal humans :D 

I appreciated your clarification on the state of happiness and also preserving that within yourself and staying genuine to you in what you do. It's not an easy thing to accomplish in this noisy world of advertisements trying to convince us we're all wrong and need to live a certain way with a certain product to be successful and happy in life :D:D 

• Haha 1

Understandable with the clarifying. I'm REALLY curious about this 'boxed stuff' issue.  All from-scratch things are fine?  Is it like some sort of anti-caking agent that maybe is in boxed things?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Teros said:

Understandable with the clarifying. I'm REALLY curious about this 'boxed stuff' issue.  All from-scratch things are fine?  Is it like some sort of anti-caking agent that maybe is in boxed things?

I don't know if you remember from a while ago, but I was having issues before and kind of narrowed it down to something involved with either "Natural and / or Artificial Flavors". You know that blanket term that you see at the end of boxed mixes that is a catch all. I had been pretty strict about my eating for a while, everything resolved, but it continuously ebbs and flows if I don't keep my diet pretty strict. 

• Like 3

On 9/18/2020 at 7:21 PM, Snarkyfishguts said:

How's the week going for you?

I don't know ....WHAT DAY IS IT ANYMORE?

Lets see ....

• At our weekly trip to Target the week before last, I bought new colored pencils and a small notebook to use as a gratitude journal. I got to color one little bit in one of my new coloring books before the baby tried to "help". I also haven't written anything in the gratitude journal - oops! But it is upstairs in my bedroom instead of on my desk to try to help.
  • Getting up early to have time to myself is hit or miss. When my husband works in the office (every other day), I'm decent about getting up. I'm reading a book of Greek Mythology, which I'm really enjoying (it's Greek mythology in chronological order for lack of a better description), so it is nice to get up and read for a bit. I went to workout this morning, but I am feeling kind of meh, so I ended up holding off. Instead, I'm going to see if the husband wants to go on a walk when he gets home tonight.
  • I re-started my tomato timer on my work computer, they did some buffing up of the program, so it's a bit nicer than it was previously. I'm very excited to keep it going. 
  • I did some baking this weekend, which was really fun. I made an apple topping for yogurt or oatmeal that I plan on eating for breakfast this week and some pumpkin muffins with a cream cheese swirl. I'm not a fan of the swirl, so next batch will just be plain. 
  • Like 5

Nice! I like greek mythology too! Reading it that way sounds really nice. 

i dont like cream cheese swirls in my sweet breads either. I will spread it on the muffin, but baking it in just feels weird and goopy, amd not in a cinnabon way. But pumpkin muffins sound delicious! Nomnomnom

it sounds like you’re getting into the swing of things!

• Like 1

On 9/21/2020 at 1:38 PM, Snarkyfishguts said:

Nice! I like greek mythology too! Reading it that way sounds really nice. 

It's written by Stephen Fry too, so I sometimes end up reading it in his voice in my head. 

The baby is sick. My daughter has to go get a COVID-19 test today because she has similar symptoms to the baby. I'm legitimately not worried - the baby went to hang with his other grandparents last weekend and their family is sick too (so the timing just doesn't fit for anything more serious than a cold). But more power to Wal-Mart for not fooling around with symptoms. I got woken up before 6 this morning because she needed help and then I got a baby (to be fair to her, she stayed awake and tried to take him, he just wanted me). He finally fell back to sleep (on me) around 7. 

My throat is bothering me, so I've been pretty lax with doing anything physical. It's a balance, because when I get sick, I don't eat as much either, so I guess it's a balance. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Sylvaa said:

It's written by Stephen Fry too, so I sometimes end up reading it in his voice in my head. 

The baby is sick. My daughter has to go get a COVID-19 test today because she has similar symptoms to the baby. I'm legitimately not worried - the baby went to hang with his other grandparents last weekend and their family is sick too (so the timing just doesn't fit for anything more serious than a cold). But more power to Wal-Mart for not fooling around with symptoms. I got woken up before 6 this morning because she needed help and then I got a baby (to be fair to her, she stayed awake and tried to take him, he just wanted me). He finally fell back to sleep (on me) around 7. 

My throat is bothering me, so I've been pretty lax with doing anything physical. It's a balance, because when I get sick, I don't eat as much either, so I guess it's a balance. 

I am buying this book! 

Aw man, I hope you and the fam feel better soon and it isn't anything serious. Fingers crossed!

• Thanks 1

On 9/21/2020 at 10:28 AM, Sylvaa said:

I'm reading a book of Greek Mythology, which I'm really enjoying

Wait, like the OG Greek mythology and not some sort of modern-day spinoff series?

3 hours ago, fleaball said:

Sending orange juice and chicken soup vibes!

Seconded

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sciread77 said:

Following for pointers. 

image.jpeg

7 minutes ago, Teros said:

Wait, like the OG Greek mythology and not some sort of modern-day spinoff series?

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/35074096-mythos

OG. I've been trying to incorporate more reading that isn't traditional fiction into my life. Greek mythology might be cheating a bit, but it's a really fun read. When I was in high school, mythology was part of the curriculum, but I've never read it in any type of order. 

I really appreciate the soup vibes! I think being tired is a bigger issue for me today than sick (although my throat is sore). 

• Like 4

The family is primarily healthy again. Some lingering runny noses, slight coughs, but nothing serious or detrimental to our health. I felt decent enough to wake up this morning and do a quick workout. 

We did end up doing grocery pick-up this past weekend, to limit our exposure to anyone else. We weren't concerned about COVID based upon how everything played out, but still didn't want to be those people going to the store while sick. I think we are going to make it a regular occurrence at the end of the month. We tend to spend less when we pick-up (since we limit those spur of the moment purchases) and we are hoping to use it as a way to eat up food that we still have around the house (we are REALLY bad with food waste - we've been working on it a lot and have gotten better, but it's still a work in process). 

My husband is back on the getting healthy bandwagon again with me. It is very exciting, but we are also really bad about enabling each other. This weekend he cleaned out a bit of the garage so that the rower is now in a position that it can be used (we are also getting a new outside fridge / freezer that he made room for). Hopefully this will keep us more dedicated since we'll be doing it together.

• Like 6

It always feels good when you feel like you're working as a team with family, and I can imagine even more so with your spouse. That's really great that the two of you are doing it together. I'm glad y'all feel better too!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1