• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

tei_

Tei is a strong independent gymnast who don't need no gym

As the title suggests: my gymnastics club is back open, but Adult Gym is not on the schedule. For a confluence of reasons involving both COVID capacity restrictions and the gym being understaffed in the first place, I doubt adult gym is going to be a priority-- there was some talk of me maybe coaching it while training, but my work schedule (if my work actually starts in October like it's supposed to hahahaha) would make that difficult. So I am accepting that going to an actual gymnastics club regularly may not be a part of my life for a quite a while.

Having accepted that, I need to stop being like "oh this completely temporary situation will soon be resolved and I'll get to train again!" and actually make training plans that work with what I have. What I have is a gym membership that I feel relatively comfortable going to, and some goals that very much do not rely on special equipment!

GOALS:

1. Lift 3x/week. I haven't lifted regularly in a really long time, so I'm basically starting at the beginning with a Stronglifts-ish plan.

2. QUEST FOR THE PRESS. Press handstand is one skill that there's no excuse not to work on-- I don't need any equipment for it, and it would be useful in so many different areas of gymnastics (cast handstand on bars, a mount on beam, plus just generally having some "I actually do gymnastics" credibility.) I've been doing it from my feet with super bent arms for about a year, and clearly just doing it over and over with bent arms is not going to magically make my arms straight, or it would have happened by now. So I'm going back to pressing with my feet elevated and my arms straight, and I'll also be looking up more drills for the stalder part of the skill.

Bonus goal: make something??? Towards the beginning of the lockdown I made a pair of handstand canes and PVC rings. There are a ton of tutorials online for how to make PVC paralettes, so I'm thinking I could follow one of those and just make it longer/lower to the ground.

• Like 7

Ooh shiny press goal! Here for this! Sorry about the lack of gymnastics though. Glad you have things to keep you entertained in the meantime. :) 

Boo to adults not being priority. It feels like once you're an adult, a lot of opportunities to explore or improve on physical skills get shunted aside - I faced similar situations in irish dance and parkour, and it stinks. But yay for planning around it. Following again. :)

5 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Ooh shiny press goal! Here for this! Sorry about the lack of gymnastics though. Glad you have things to keep you entertained in the meantime. :) 

Yeah! I still feel really lucky that I have a membership through my union to a decent "regular" gym, and the COVID case load is small enough here that it's open and will probably stay open unless something changes really drastically (which it obviously could.) There's also a climbing gym that my partner is interested in checking out, and apparently the trampoline park just reopened, though... I dunno if I want to go to a trampoline park with a bunch of screaming kids, haha.

49 minutes ago, Manarelle said:

Boo to adults not being priority. It feels like once you're an adult, a lot of opportunities to explore or improve on physical skills get shunted aside - I faced similar situations in irish dance and parkour, and it stinks. But yay for planning around it. Following again. :)

Yeah, for sure. And I understand why it's not a priority-- the competitive program is what the head coaches are there for, and the recreational $$$ keeps the lights on, and adult gym was always just a couple people fooling around in the gym in the evenings. Still, it sucks that the programs didn't already exist that would make adult programming just as logical as childrens' programming to continue.

36 minutes ago, raptron said:

Solidarity, sister.

*fist bump* Is your gym reopening? Or does it still exist? I seem to remember the university was kicking you guys out but maybe that's on hold...?

4 hours ago, tei_ said:

I dunno if I want to go to a trampoline park with a bunch of screaming kids, haha.

I took my mum to a trampoline park last time I visited! :D We went at opening time and it was very quiet for at least an hour. Could be worth a try. Climbing is always a great choice.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DoubleTrouble said:

Cool! Makes me want to try making some PVC rings

rings.jpg.3972ef7bd6b00753be2eefbc045a65fc.jpg

Towards the beginning of the lockdown I literally could not find rings available for purchase anywhere on the entire internet, so this was my solution :P I had to try twice because the first time they kinked too badly to hold on to, and even these didn't get as, er, circular as I would have liked. I wouldn't do anything involving going upside-down or large amounts of momentum on them. Still, they did the trick when all the gyms were closed and the playgrounds were off-limits!

• Like 3

14 hours ago, tei_ said:

apparently the trampoline park just reopened

Out trampoline park here is open now, and even though I could easily go when it would be very few kids I am really suspicious of the foam pit.  That place was a germ fest in the best of times  

• Like 1

On 9/11/2020 at 12:53 AM, WhiteGhost said:

Out trampoline park here is open now, and even though I could easily go when it would be very few kids I am really suspicious of the foam pit.  That place was a germ fest in the best of times  

Ugh. Yeah. The foam pit was the first thing to go at my gymnastics club too, even before it had to close for a bit-- they just dragged mats overtop of it so nobody could go in (which, combined with the province's insurance not allowing rec to use trampolines, makes for a really difficult rec coaching experience. THEY LITERALLY JUST WANT TO BOUNCE ON THE TRAMPOLINE AND JUMP IN THE FOAM PIT.)

Went to the lifting gym yesterday-- I finally got my bike fixed so I've been riding it everywhere I can, and there's an OK route down not-too-dangerous streets to the gym, so. (This is very much Not A Biking City.) I've decided that Monday is going to be my rest day most weeks, because (at least for now) it's my busiest day with school and sometimes recording a podcast with a friend.

Lifting feels OK until I vaguely recall that I haven't actually improved on any lifts for like, five years. Basically since my initial burst of effort with it. So... maybe once I get up to weights that are difficult for me in a strength sense (right now I'm doing sets of 8 for squats) I need... a program???

Also on my list for today-- message the coach who handles scheduling at the gymnastics club and ask her about adult gym, because I haven't actually heard anything specific. It's not on the schedule, but it's possible she'd let me put it on a Sunday and coach it if I could do it most days. And if not I still want to be sure that the answer is actually "no" and not "nobody but you has been thinking about it, but sure." Once I have an answer from her, I'm going to finally text the guy that I made friends with at adult gym last season, and at least let him know what's going on and ask how he is. He's a powerlifter who just started gymnastics last year but was really going all in with it, ha, so I'm curious what he's been up to in the meantime. And he's a single father with a young son, so maybe he'll want to bring his kid and go to the trampoline park with me.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, tei_ said:

Also on my list for today-- message the coach who handles scheduling at the gymnastics club and ask her about adult gym, because I haven't actually heard anything specific. It's not on the schedule, but it's possible she'd let me put it on a Sunday and coach it if I could do it most days. And if not I still want to be sure that the answer is actually "no" and not "nobody but you has been thinking about it, but sure." Once I have an answer from her, I'm going to finally text the guy that I made friends with at adult gym last season, and at least let him know what's going on and ask how he is. He's a powerlifter who just started gymnastics last year but was really going all in with it, ha, so I'm curious what he's been up to in the meantime. And he's a single father with a young son, so maybe he'll want to bring his kid and go to the trampoline park with me.

That sounds like a lovely overall plan. Keeping fingers crossed that you don't just get a no!

On 9/10/2020 at 12:35 PM, tei_ said:

*fist bump* Is your gym reopening? Or does it still exist? I seem to remember the university was kicking you guys out but maybe that's on hold...?

We got an indefinite stay on the gym getting shut down after all of the drama in June 2019 -- the alumni were furious, a petition circulated with 10,000+ signatures, and we maybe publicized that the university was trying to shut down a well attended special olympics program on the evening news. 😇

However, since it IS a university gym, it's especially strict about who can and can't access the facilities right now. I think they invited a segment of students back to campus for the fall with only varsity sports athletes currently getting access to the facilities... I anticipate we won't be able to get back in until fall 2021 at the earliest. However, our team is working out some agreements with local gyms (and reviving our old insurance-through-AAU strategy we phased out in the past), so we do have a couple practice opportunities each week. They're each ~1 hour drive away, though, and I don't have a car, so it's carpool-only and on the weekends if/when I can actually join in. 😢

5 hours ago, tei_ said:

Went to the lifting gym yesterday-- I finally got my bike fixed so I've been riding it everywhere I can, and there's an OK route down not-too-dangerous streets to the gym, so. (This is very much Not A Biking City.) I've decided that Monday is going to be my rest day most weeks, because (at least for now) it's my busiest day with school and sometimes recording a podcast with a friend.

What's your podcast about?

5 hours ago, tei_ said:

Lifting feels OK until I vaguely recall that I haven't actually improved on any lifts for like, five years. Basically since my initial burst of effort with it. So... maybe once I get up to weights that are difficult for me in a strength sense (right now I'm doing sets of 8 for squats) I need... a program???

Wild, hahaha. Linear progression will get you pretty far though!

On 9/14/2020 at 1:15 PM, raptron said:

We got an indefinite stay on the gym getting shut down after all of the drama in June 2019 -- the alumni were furious, a petition circulated with 10,000+ signatures, and we maybe publicized that the university was trying to shut down a well attended special olympics program on the evening news. 😇

NICE. I'm glad you got it done!

The rec coordinator is still ignoring my question about adult gym, but I offered to coach a class on Sunday, so SHE'S GONNA HAVE TO TALK TO ME AT SOME POINT. I also realized that... the cheerleading tumbling class whose coach, pre-lockdown, let me come in and unobtrusovely train during, is still happening. It's being taught by the head coach of the gym, because the coach who used to do it is now on parental leave. I know the head coach likes me, and he might let me do the same... if only I can find a way to actually contact him. Ha.

• Like 3

Didn't do great at going to the gym this week, though that was partly because the one time I did go, I did something to my neck and didn't move much for the next several days. OOPS. (I have no idea what it was! One moment my neck did not hurt, and the next moment my neck hurt a lot.)

Today I went into the gymnastics club to coach a parent&tot booking, and the head coach was there, and I asked him if I could come in during his cheer class, and he said yes 😭😭😭 I literally went out to my car and started crying of happiness. I'm working half of the time anyway, so it won't even be every week, but... being able to go to the gym any Tuesday night that I'm free is still 100% more gymnastics than I was doing before.

Now I feel like i need to justify my presence there by actually working out at the gym as much as I can 😭

• Like 4

22 hours ago, tei_ said:

Didn't do great at going to the gym this week, though that was partly because the one time I did go, I did something to my neck and didn't move much for the next several days. OOPS. (I have no idea what it was! One moment my neck did not hurt, and the next moment my neck hurt a lot.)

Ouch! Hope that healed up? So many things get sidelined when there are neck issues. 

22 hours ago, tei_ said:

Today I went into the gymnastics club to coach a parent&tot booking, and the head coach was there, and I asked him if I could come in during his cheer class, and he said yes 😭😭😭 I literally went out to my car and started crying of happiness. I'm working half of the time anyway, so it won't even be every week, but... being able to go to the gym any Tuesday night that I'm free is still 100% more gymnastics than I was doing before.

Now I feel like i need to justify my presence there by actually working out at the gym as much as I can 😭

Eeeeeeee! Yay for gym time! Glad you got the opportunity to ask and a good answer! 

11 minutes ago, Manarelle said:

Ouch! Hope that healed up? So many things get sidelined when there are neck issues. 

Thanks! Yeah, it was okay after a few days.

• Like 1

On 10/4/2020 at 2:56 AM, tei_ said:

I asked him if I could come in during his cheer class, and he said yes

Woohoo!  Gymnastics is BACK!

• Like 1