• Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

Aquarii

Aquarii: Not all who wander are lost...but like, I still kinda wish I had a plan.

Recommended Posts

Helloooooo everyone!

 

My consistency last challenge definitely left plenty to be desired, but that is ok. This is a new challenge and a new opportunity. Honestly, everything feels like a crazy world of opportunities right now. In case you missed it, one of the reasons I struggled with being consistent last challenge was due to the fact that I finally quit the job I entirely hated and was making me miserable. Pretty sure it was one of the most empowering things I have ever done for myself. Making that decision to make serious sacrifices for the sake of respecting myself just really....I don't know, the world changes a little after that. 

 

Anyway, for the time being, I am back in school full-time (online). I finish my associate's degree in psychology this winter, and am heavily considering graduate school for next year (which means applications soon...yayyyyyy...ugh). I have also taken on a couple of web design projects to help build and grow some of my marketing and web skills in the interim between jobs. Right now is just going to be a period of lots of growth and learning and soul searching. It is a period of creating and embracing chaos so that when things fall into place again and the dust settles, I have broken free of the life that simply wasn't working for me before. 

 

Life is both terrifying and exhilarating right now. I feel like a baby bird who has lept from the nest for the first time, I am now free-falling, unsure that my wings will work and I will take flight, but praying they do before I hit the ground. 

 

Are Birds Flying into Your House Bad Luck?

 

 

The theme of this challenge, as we approach the fall equinox, is liminal space. For those unfamiliar with liminal, it is more or less the transitory windows between two stages or areas. It is the threshold, the inbetween, no man's land, limbo, and it is the place where magic happens (I actually learned about concept of liminal spaces when studying the Black Forest as a symbol in my German Fairytales college course a few years ago). It seems like the perfect theme for me, since I am very much in the inbetween. Some things are coming to an end, some are just beginning, some are yet to begin. It is this weird threshold where everything seems possible, but nothing feels concrete.

 

ejV1A4FPK0TtvEJlqM9Yt1UZmkOCsmQ9hSjvS06Y

 

 

Challenge

 

Explore the physical plane: Walk at least 4x a week, bodyweight workouts at least 2x a week. Liminal spaces are not the place to stand still. The goal is to traverse them and come out on the other side. They are like rites of passage, if you will.

 

Sustenance and hydration for the journey: Drink at least 64oz per day, take meds and vitamins, eat mostly whole foods daily. The journey through liminal space is often a long and trying one. It is important to take care of physical and mental health through proper sustenance. 

 

Keep the mind open: Meditate for at least 5 min daily, finish 3 books during the challenge. To make it through the challenges of liminal space, one must keep an open mind and be able to see things in new and different ways. 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Following along :D 

 

I remember having to write a number of essays about liminality in university, it's a fascinating subject, and I love how you've moulded your challenge around it.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Aquarii said:

(I actually learned about concept of liminal spaces when studying the Black Forest as a symbol in my German Fairytales college course a few years ago)

Ah yes, the Black Forest..... Cake.

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

What a cool challenge! I love the visualization of your transitional space, and how your goals will help you survive and pass through the liminal space safely. 

Why thank you :) I don't know what it is about the concept and imagery of the liminal, but it really draws me in. I am definitely excited to use it as a theme, it has been quite some time since I tried orienting my challenge around a specific theme.

 

12 hours ago, iatetheyeti said:

I remember having to write a number of essays about liminality in university, it's a fascinating subject, and I love how you've moulded your challenge around it.

 

Haha, apparently learning about liminality in university is a thing. 

 

1 hour ago, Teros said:

Ah yes, the Black Forest..... Cake.

 

 

I am vaguely aware of the fact that there is a cake by that name, but am not at all familiar with it. I am assuming it is some form of chocolate cake?

 

14 minutes ago, GoodDoug said:

Great concept for a challenge, and very appropriate for where you seem to be in life right now. Following along!

Thanks! In the past I felt like I treated these times where my life lacked concreteness as something terrible that I needed to get out of as soon as possible. But this time I am really trying to lean into it as an opportunity to learn and grow, to explore new things while everything is all up in the air. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Aquarii said:

Haha, apparently learning about liminality in university is a thing. 

 

It's most definitely a thing! Our particular degree-related angle was that of travel and adventure as a rite of passage into adulthood (mostly gap-years, really), but frequently angled off into more obscure directions such as the journey itself being a liminal space.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/10/2020 at 5:48 PM, Aquarii said:

I am vaguely aware of the fact that there is a cake by that name, but am not at all familiar with it. I am assuming it is some form of chocolate cake?

You lived there?

 

Black Forest gateau - Wikipedia

 

Totally

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Teros said:

You lived there?

 

Black Forest gateau - Wikipedia

 

Totally

I mean, I lived in Germany for a couple months, but I don't think I ever came across this cake. Fun fact, you won't find pies in Germany, just cakes. And they don't have molasses or brown sugar...and they have just shelves and shelves lined with Nutella but you really have to go searching for the couple places were you can find tiny jars of peanut butter.

 

That cake looks amazing. Sadly, I will never get to try it :( 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Black forest cake is traditionally a chocolate with whipped cream, brandy-soaked sour cherries, and chocolate shavings between the layers and prettily decorated on top. The more traditional recipe would take the brandy that the cherries soaked in and use that to soak into the layers of cake.  I think now more people tend to use cherry pie filling or maraschino cherries and skip the brandy. 

 

That's really interesting about not finding pies in Germany. Also about the nutella! My dad would want to move to Germany and open a pie shop if he knew this. He LOVES pie, and would definitely be trying to convert everyone to pie lovers. :D Are there lots of jellies and jams though? He might be able to live with tiny peanut butter jars but he couldn't imagine living somewhere without gobs of jam!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

Black forest cake is traditionally a chocolate with whipped cream, brandy-soaked sour cherries, and chocolate shavings between the layers and prettily decorated on top. The more traditional recipe would take the brandy that the cherries soaked in and use that to soak into the layers of cake.  I think now more people tend to use cherry pie filling or maraschino cherries and skip the brandy. 

 

That's really interesting about not finding pies in Germany. Also about the nutella! My dad would want to move to Germany and open a pie shop if he knew this. He LOVES pie, and would definitely be trying to convert everyone to pie lovers. :D Are there lots of jellies and jams though? He might be able to live with tiny peanut butter jars but he couldn't imagine living somewhere without gobs of jam!  

 

Oh wow, that cake sounds absolutely amazing! I would definitely not skip the brandy, rofl.

 

And yeah, pies are just not really a thing there. Like if you go to their cafes, you can find lots of cakes, it is even somewhat traditional to have an afternoon "Kaffee und Kuchen" (coffee and cake), but I did not see a single pie anywhere, and when I asked the family I stayed with, they said it wasn't really a German thing. There are lots of jams and preserves though. I do remember seeing those at a lot of the grocery stores. But there big thing is nutella, it is the craziest thing. The family I stayed with visited the States somewhat often (the mother is American), and they always brought brown sugar back with them from the States, because you just cannot find it there. And when I asked if they had molasses, they didn't even know what it was. I had my mom send me some so I could show them, and I told them if they mixed it with white sugar, they could make their own brown sugar, lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love talking about food and customs. NO brown sugar? That's amazing. We have so much sugar here. I wonder why they don't have brown sugar? Hmmm hmmmm... And molasses cookies are SO GOOD. 

 

I'm glad they have loads of jams and preserves. My dad will be relieved when I tell him about cakes and pies in Germany. Although now he's gonna want that cake. :D :D WITH brandy :D 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

I love talking about food and customs. NO brown sugar? That's amazing. We have so much sugar here. I wonder why they don't have brown sugar? Hmmm hmmmm... And molasses cookies are SO GOOD. 

 

I'm glad they have loads of jams and preserves. My dad will be relieved when I tell him about cakes and pies in Germany. Although now he's gonna want that cake. :D :D WITH brandy :D 

 

Haha, I don't even know how they manage to have no molasses or brown sugar. Molasses is a byproduct of making sugar from sugar cane. Molasses is all the minerals and stuff you have left after you remove a bunch of the sugar crysals from cane syrup.

 

Now *I* want that cake, and I can't have dairy or gluten, lol.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Y'all, if you have not tried frozen grapes before, I highly recommend. It is like having little popsicle bites...but like, popsicles that don't taste like sugar and artificial sweetener. They are amazing. It is also a great way to make grapes last way longer. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Aquarii said:

 

Haha, I don't even know how they manage to have no molasses or brown sugar. Molasses is a byproduct of making sugar from sugar cane. Molasses is all the minerals and stuff you have left after you remove a bunch of the sugar crysals from cane syrup.

 

Now *I* want that cake, and I can't have dairy or gluten, lol.

Well, finding a chocolate gluten free cake recipe should be fun, and you can use coffeemate as a milk substitute to make frosting instead of whipped cream. 

 

Do you have trouble with dark chocolate?

 

I'm fat, I always find a cake solution. :D 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

Do you have trouble with dark chocolate?

 

Ahahahaha, no, I certainly do not. Actually, I eat chocolate in some form most days. My most common is eating 100% dark chololate (baking chocolate). It has no sugar or anything, just unadulterated chocolate ❤️ I know, I am weird.

 

I like cake. But I can only have a little processed sugar before it gives me a headache 😕 So, I don't usually bother trying to make gluten free cake, because I would only be able to eat a little bit of it, and most other people I know would not touch gluten free cake with a ten foot pole, so it would just go to waste.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The trick is just don't tell them it is gluten free cake. :P I'm sad that you can't enjoy something as epic as Black Forest Cake (my favourite kind of cake) but I'm certain that with a lack of refined sugars in your diet that fruits must taste amazing.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Leigh said:

The trick is just don't tell them it is gluten free cake. :P I'm sad that you can't enjoy something as epic as Black Forest Cake (my favourite kind of cake) but I'm certain that with a lack of refined sugars in your diet that fruits must taste amazing.

 

Haha, but see, if they decide to reverse that method on me and give me stuff with gluten without telling me, I suffer a whole lot more. So trust is probably the best method here, lol.

 

Yeppp, you would be correct. Fruits taste amazing. Thankfully I can still have things like honey and pure maple and such without issue, so my tastebuds are not as refined as they could be, but nonetheless, without processed sugar, fruit does taste a lot better. And with having to completely avoid gluten and dairy, and beware of too much sugar, I cannot eat a lot of junk food or processed food (since most of it has one of those items). Food just tastes better in general when you can't eat most processed foods, haha.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

*sighhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh*

 

So, my husband and I like to go to Starbucks to get lattes as a little treat. It is something we liked doing as a date when we were broke college students, when we were first getting started in the work world and newly married, and now, as we are down to a single income. Today we decided to get lattes after running some errands, and they gave me regular milk :( :( :( 

 

Typically I am not very picky, but in this case, I am lactose intolerant, so it just kinda wrecks the rest of my day, because it is hard to catch the mistake until it is too late. I am thinking I am just going to have to stick with black coffee from here on out unless I can go in and be one of those annoying customers that obsessively watches their drink being made. 

  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As someone who worked food service for nearly a decade, most of the time food service workers would rather know about an allergy and make something with more care than just give you the mistake and then make you sick. Especially Starbucks staff with the whole free drink if they make it wrong policy they have going. 

 

Sorry that your drink wrecked your day 😔

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Leigh said:

As someone who worked food service for nearly a decade, most of the time food service workers would rather know about an allergy and make something with more care than just give you the mistake and then make you sick. Especially Starbucks staff with the whole free drink if they make it wrong policy they have going. 

 

Sorry that your drink wrecked your day 😔

 

Oh, I know. I actually use to work at a Starbucks way back in my early days of college, and there were a couple times when an incorrect drink got out. Sometimes it is a mislabeling issue, sometimes someone is new and gets something wrong, sometimes you misread something, sometimes you are making three drinks at once and trying to talk to a customer and be friendly and just make a mistake. I don't get angry at the workers or anything. I know it is an honest mistake. 

 

My issue is that the flavor of coffee is just enough to make it really difficult to tell if the drink is wrong. So it really isn't until I start to feel my anxiety skyrocket and the lightheadedness kick in that I know something is wrong. Those are the early warning signs to be like, ok, lets stop drinking this. Because the abdominal issues take a little longer to kick in for me. So, by the time I realize the drink is wrong, I 1) am already too far away from the Starbucks to feel like going back to have them remake it, 2) it is already too late, and 3) I no longer really want to eat or drink anything for the next few hours anyway. I know Starbucks would gladly remake the drink if I went back. I just wish there was some way to improve quality assurance or indicate on your order that you have a dairy issue and they ABSOLUTELY MUST GET THE MILK RIGHT, lol. 

 

It isn't the end of the world, just a bit frustrating to feel ick all day. Thankfully I didn't drink a whole lot of it, so the day wasn't too terrible. Last time I had a run-in with dairy, it took 3-4 days for my poor digestive tract to fully recover. Fingers crossed I recover faster this time. It also took like 3 weeks for the acne breakout it caused to heal....so, I might have that to look forward to, lol. At least I don't have to go anywhere, and when I do, I wear a mask 😂

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm glad to see you back with the Adventurer's this round!

 

When I was younger I used to live in Germany and developed a ridiculous love of nutella. When we moved back to the states, the place we landed was pretty .... rural. So it was literally impossible to find nutella. My dad used to bring it back with him when he would work overseas. We'd stock up and have like 5 jars in the cabinet.

 

It's so awesome that you are taking this time to do something else (and awesome that you were able to get out of a bad situation!). *cheers* 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So far my challenge has been going pretty well (loosely started last week), but whew, today has been tough, with headaches and exhaustion and stuff. Still recovering a bit from my run-in with the evil Dr. Dairy. So, I didn't get much done in terms of fitness, but I got my meditation in, I ate mostly whole (gentle) foods, and I am right on track for my reading goals. Little bit behind on water today, but I still think I can hit my goal by the end of the night. So like, still basically crushing it. Yay for realistic and manageable goals.

 

ea67a62202f703a351e20354be1d7876.jpg

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Aquarii said:

So far my challenge has been going pretty well (loosely started last week), but whew, today has been tough, with headaches and exhaustion and stuff. Still recovering a bit from my run-in with the evil Dr. Dairy. So, I didn't get much done in terms of fitness, but I got my meditation in, I ate mostly whole (gentle) foods, and I am right on track for my reading goals. Little bit behind on water today, but I still think I can hit my goal by the end of the night. So like, still basically crushing it. Yay for realistic and manageable goals.

 

ea67a62202f703a351e20354be1d7876.jpg

Awww kitten!

 

I'm so happy your dairy encounter wasn't worse than it could've been thanks to quick action on your part. IT sounds like you made the most of the rest of your day!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.