• Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

spezzy

Spezzy the Skírnir starts a new chapter...

Recommended Posts

37 minutes ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

I’ll defer to Rurik (Canada > Minnesota in this case), but in the days of rear wheel drive, which pick ups are, you needed to put weight in your trunk to make sure your rear end wasn’t sliding around, even with snow tires. Around here they sell tubes of sand to put in the back of your truck.

 

ETA I’ll also defer to Spezzy’s own experience.

 

Front wheel drives all handle fairly well in the snow because the weight is right over the wheels. Snow tires help, but if you live somewhere where they’re good at plowing, I wouldn’t bother.

 

If they are good at plowing, I'd get snow tires with studs. When the snow gets compressed to that sneaky white ice that ambushes you in the dark, studded tires help with traction.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

I’ll defer to Rurik (Canada > Minnesota in this case)

...

Back in the day I had a friend with a Yugo; there’s no way you’re going to convince that would get up a mountain on the best of days.

 

First of all,

tumblr_osqgm0M0mt1vgz0z4o2_500.gifv

 

Second of all, I've found snow where it shouldn't have been (seasonally or otherwise) on three different continents now. 🤣

 

2 hours ago, spezzy said:

Yeah, I'm going to say Rurik has the best experience here hahaha. Even Massachusetts doesn't top Canada for snow!

 

emergency kit in my car

 

oh hi it me job  :D

 

Did something like this once too.

tenor.gif?itemid=12993038

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, spezzy said:

Her name is Zorah, and she's a rogue knife master :) Pretty stoked - last character was a bloodrager so completely different and way more up my alley. Have been really enjoying writing her story and learning about her this last week! We had zero week Sunday and DM thinks she should be low templar, so building that in. 

 

Ah she sounds really cool. I'm currently playing a bloodrager after my rogue trapsmith got killed by a statue. Rogues are really fun.

 

8 hours ago, spezzy said:

decided I liked not having a car payment better 😬 

 

As someone who's first car was 19 years old and who's currently nursing along an 18 year old Toyota Corolla, I fully support the choice of cheap motoring.

 

7 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

I’ll defer to Rurik (Canada > Minnesota in this case), but in the days of rear wheel drive, which pick ups are, you needed to put weight in your trunk to make sure your rear end wasn’t sliding around, even with snow tires.

 

I think most pickups here are 4 wheel drive now - an empty RWD pickup sounds like a nightmare in the snow.

 

My first car was a small engined Volvo 340 - it was RWD and weighed less than a ton, so it was hopeless in the snow. Or, depending on how you look at it, very very good fun.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

My mother had one from the time I was in 5th grade till I was a sophomore in high school. It was the family car, and I had to ride in the backseat many, many times.

 

 

She hasn't had it for 24 years and I still HATE that care with the fire of a thousand suns.

 

So, funny thing - I saw one on my walk with Felix last night after not seeing one for many years. 

 

I probably just noticed it because we were talking about it, but still. 

 

14 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

 

If they are good at plowing, I'd get snow tires with studs. When the snow gets compressed to that sneaky white ice that ambushes you in the dark, studded tires help with traction.

 

Yeah I've heard MI is great at plowing because they're used to it. That was a big thing in TX - the tiniest snow/ice would be a huge deal because there was no infrastructure to deal with it (and there shouldn't have been, money better spent elsewhere).

 

13 hours ago, Rurik Harrgath said:

 

First of all,

tumblr_osqgm0M0mt1vgz0z4o2_500.gifv

 

Second of all, I've found snow where it shouldn't have been (seasonally or otherwise) on three different continents now. 🤣

 

 

oh hi it me job  :D

 

Did something like this once too.

tenor.gif?itemid=12993038

 

I should review my emergency kit with you, mister safety officer, hahah. i have the basics because I hate getting stranded anyway, and am stubborn and don't like to call for help, and AAA, but still. 

 

Also pls do not do that again we'd like to keep you around for your rurik 2025 campaign 😬 

 

7 hours ago, Jarric said:

As someone who's first car was 19 years old and who's currently nursing along an 18 year old Toyota Corolla, I fully support the choice of cheap motoring.

 

I think most pickups here are 4 wheel drive now - an empty RWD pickup sounds like a nightmare in the snow.

 

My first car was a small engined Volvo 340 - it was RWD and weighed less than a ton, so it was hopeless in the snow. Or, depending on how you look at it, very very good fun.

 

I would probably still be in my 2010 civic if I hadn't crashed, it, hah. I drive so little (outside of my long road trips) that spending money on a nice car just doesn't make sense - I think I filled my tank once last month and I get ~250 miles to a tank hahah. Plus, if this one gets dinged I don't care like I would with something new and shiny!

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Jarric said:

 

Ah she sounds really cool. I'm currently playing a bloodrager after my rogue trapsmith got killed by a statue. Rogues are really fun.

 

 

It's been really interesting to learn about rogues. I wanted to do the knifemaster and give up the trapsmith ability so I could get a little more combat, because I like that - but I really like the idea of having to use a bit more strategy. I just started playing pathfinder this year, so still new to the game all around, and there's just a LOT to learn, especially with the rogue - but it's a good thing because it's forced me to really dig in to the rules. 

 

I loved the bloodrager though. so much smash. but the switch to rogue also aligns with my new training philosophy personally, too. Excited :D

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, spezzy said:

I should review my emergency kit with you, mister safety officer, hahah. i have the basics because I hate getting stranded anyway, and am stubborn and don't like to call for help, and AAA, but still. 

 

Also pls do not do that again we'd like to keep you around for your rurik 2025 campaign 😬

 

Mr Safety does house calls!  B)

 

Also,

tenor.gif

 

8 hours ago, spezzy said:

I wanted to do the knifemaster and give up the trapsmith ability so I could get a little more combat, because I like that -

 

 

e0e3428126e80158f8c76de69db6b476.gif

 

5 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

At least not without me in there.

 

BlandFrailHogget-max-1mb.gif

 

Only if I can drive this time!  Screw the turret.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, spezzy said:

 

It's been really interesting to learn about rogues. I wanted to do the knifemaster and give up the trapsmith ability so I could get a little more combat, because I like that - but I really like the idea of having to use a bit more strategy. I just started playing pathfinder this year, so still new to the game all around, and there's just a LOT to learn, especially with the rogue - but it's a good thing because it's forced me to really dig in to the rules. 

 

I loved the bloodrager though. so much smash. but the switch to rogue also aligns with my new training philosophy personally, too. Excited :D

 

I've been playing for about 3 years I think, and I still feel like I've got a lot of rules to learn! There's a reason some people call it mathfinder :lol:

 

The most important rule for me to know with a rogue was using acrobatics checks to avoid attacks of opportunity. Really useful for getting a flanking position, and you probably have the DEX to pull it off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jarric said:

 

I've been playing for about 3 years I think, and I still feel like I've got a lot of rules to learn! There's a reason some people call it mathfinder :lol:

 

The most important rule for me to know with a rogue was using acrobatics checks to avoid attacks of opportunity. Really useful for getting a flanking position, and you probably have the DEX to pull it off.

 

I've been so thankful for all of the online resources to help with all of the math, hahaha. SO MUCH. 

 

Any recs for setting her up? Of course I've got my DEX high, but still have till Sunday to make any changes :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, spezzy said:

 

I've been so thankful for all of the online resources to help with all of the math, hahaha. SO MUCH. 

 

Any recs for setting her up? Of course I've got my DEX high, but still have till Sunday to make any changes :)

 

Nothing specific I'm afraid, I tend to just browse through the rules and things on reddit and work with whatever looks interesting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/22/2020 at 6:29 PM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

My mother had one from the time I was in 5th grade till I was a sophomore in high school. It was the family car, and I had to ride in the backseat many, many times.

 

 

She hasn't had it for 24 years and I still HATE that care with the fire of a thousand suns.

Terrible car, great song

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So here's a fun update.

 

One of the people in my pathfinder group (one that gets health screened every day, we've been playing it super safe) has tested positive for covid. I was around her on Sunday, so scheduled a test and all of that. But, no gym (+ self isolating) until a negative test, and after I know everyone else in the PF group also has a negative test. 

 

The good news is I ordered my bike today so that will arrive Wednesday! I decided it was my "YOU'VE BEEN DEALING WITH A GLOBAL PANDEMIC" present. :D

  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Here's hoping you don't have the 'Rona.

 

Congrats on the bike, did you get any snow-tires for it?

 

Thanks :) I have zero symptoms but I know that's not how it works, so getting tested is my top priority.

 

It's an indoor spin bike so it shall stay inside with me all winter :D

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds like it's about time to dump-stat +CON just in case ;)

 

2 hours ago, spezzy said:

It's an indoor spin bike so it shall stay inside with me all winter :D

 

That's quitter talk.

 

DismalAbleKoodoo-small.gif

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

Good idea to prioritize testing. Fingers crossed it's negative for you (and for the rest of the group!)

 

Thank you!!

 

19 hours ago, Rurik Harrgath said:

Sounds like it's about time to dump-stat +CON just in case ;)

 

 

That's quitter talk.

 

DismalAbleKoodoo-small.gif

 

Yeahhhh definitely need to start focusing on sleep a little more, since that hasn't been great the last few weeks. 

 

12 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

That doesn't necessarily mean you can't put some snow tires on it somewhere.

 

Also, you two! I'm going to have it out on my balcony some days, does that count? 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, spezzy said:

Yeahhhh definitely need to start focusing on sleep a little more, since that hasn't been great the last few weeks. 

 

Also, you two! I'm going to have it out on my balcony some days, does that count? 

 

The secret to my sleep success usually revolves around minimizing bedtime distractions and electronics exposure.  Not sure if that's the case with you, but it's definitely essential for me!

 

Only if your first Winter in the North instagram update is titled Spezzy Snow-Bikes on her Balcony...

I'll do it if you do it! B)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Updated original post with new goals, based on a new game format that should help me focus on enjoying the journey and developing Spezzy as a character and creating a great story for her, vs. the way I'm used to doing things where there are very specific lifting numbers I need to hit in order to be successful, or specific lifting movements I need to do to be successful. 

 

I'm super psyched and ready to go :)

 

But for now, I have plans so a longer update will have to wait for tomorrow!

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Love the new format. I also just noticed that you changed your Guild Crest. Welcome to the Ranger Corps!

 

Was probably about time, haha! And thank you! Super motivated about my goals again for the first time since my shoulder decided to get cranky again :)

 

12 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Love the new character update!

 

Thank you! Hoping the character / new format helps me with my writing goal, too :)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.