• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

MezzotheLefty

Mezzo Rides Waves of Change

Hi! I'm Mezzo! I'm coming from the Level 1s last challenge and since my main focus is going to be meditation and mental health, I thought I should join the Druids! ☺️

A little background: I found Nerd Fitness via The Art of Manliness podcast ( 32f, but I enjoy a lot of his interviews) about 4 years ago. I read Level Up Your Life and it spoke to my inner geek. I spent most of my childhood and teenage years making up stories and pretending to be my favorite heroes so it wasn't a stretch for me.

I made a lot of healthy progress in life (improved diet, started Tai Chi training, running 5ks, etc) but it was mostly a solo IRL effort. I'm hopeless at social media and online interaction so I was reluctant to try the forums. That changed last challenge because COVID turned the world upside down and I needed accountibility, encouragement and social interaction. So I overcame my hesitation after months of waffling and I'm glad I did! The community here is great and has helped me stay on track. ☺️

This challenge is all about riding the waves of change coming my way. Before 2020 ends, I'm having a baby and moving 3 hours away from my hometown for my husband's job. These are very exciting things! But they are also big changes and I need to be proactive about mental health.

I had postpartum depression after I had my son 2 years ago. It was worse than I was willing to admit at the time and I want to avoid the stress and pain it caused me and my family. Fortunately, a lot of the contributing factors that weighed me down are not applicable this time! Unfortunately, COVID and moving are new factors that could get overwhelming if I let them. So here's my goals:

• Meditate daily - I've used headspace on and off for a year now. I like it and I absolutely notice a difference when I use it, but I struggle with consistency... 

• Bullet Journal daily - this was the main focus of my Level 1 and it's been good for me. Ideally, I would like to modify this to be a set morning and evening reflection time instead of hurried scribbles when I get a minute to myself but either way I need to keep it up.

• Spend at least 15 minutes outside daily - nature and sunshine make me feel lighter and less cooped up. I've tried to be extra careful with COVID precautions because I'm pregnant but it's really isolating. 😑

My stretch goals are trying to stay active (Tai Chi, walking, playing outside with my son) and to watching my nutrition (I've already gain 30 pounds and I still have a month-ish to go...)

Good food and exercise help mental health, but I'm not going to beat myself up about being exhausted and achy or have less than healthy cravings. So if I have a good day and accomplish these things, cool! If not, that's fine too. ☺️

• Like 2

Bravo! I wasn't sure whether to be a Druid or a Ranger.

Those sound like a LOT of goals. Especially with the littlun on the way!

Still, I reckon you can do it. :D

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, MezzotheLefty said:

Meditate daily - I've used headspace on and off for a year now. I like it and I absolutely notice a difference when I use it, but I struggle with consistency... 

I started with Headspace as well, and then moved on to several other apps until I found one that worked for me. What really helped me with consistency was to build meditation into an existing daily routine. Is that an option for you? If not, there are many other little tricks to try. The key for me was to figure out why I struggled, and then it became a lot easier.

And hi! Welcome to the Rebellion! :) 

• Like 2

Found you!! :D 

Nice goals, you can do this! Especially love the going outside one, I think this will be beneficial for you and your son (I'm guessing that you take him with you^^). :)

• Like 1

Late to the party, but!

I am also working on meditating, it is very hard for me. Keeping consistent and just getting to it, I am not sure why I struggle here so much. 

I also love my bullet journal, are you using it to help track pregnancy stuff?

• Like 1

Whirlwind week so far!

I'm 3/3 Sunday and Tuesday but 0/3 on Monday. There was a lot house buying stuff that popped up and needed attention... That's my (sorry) excuse. 😔

On 9/10/2020 at 1:46 PM, Scaly Freak said:

I started with Headspace as well, and then moved on to several other apps until I found one that worked for me. What really helped me with consistency was to build meditation into an existing daily routine. Is that an option for you? If not, there are many other little tricks to try. The key for me was to figure out why I struggled, and then it became a lot easier.

And hi! Welcome to the Rebellion! :) 

@Scaly Freak I like the guided meditations on Headspace (Andi Putticombes voice is ASMR-y and chill) and I was pretty consistent before the pandemic and resulting shut-down. I had a good routine at the office. I just haven't been able to replicate it at home...

I'm blessed to have a job that allows me to WFH with a lot of flexibility in my schedule. It just seems like flexibility hasn't translated well to my routines. Because I'm 'flexible' I ended up taking on lots of random family/household/work tasks at odd hours and my routines fell away. It doesn't help that my husband's new job is erratic. He leaves at 6 am some mornings and 8 am others. He'll be gone for 8 or 10 or 12 hours depending on workload. He has overnight shifts with little notice. It's a great job, we just have to adjust from him working regular 8-5. 

To combat the flexibility, I've been playing with a 'first things first' mentality: When the opportunity arises, my goals are the first things I do. Period. So if I wake up before my husband/son, I journal until they get up. If I have time after I drop off my son at daycare, I do headspace. On my lunch break, I address whichever of my goals isn't done yet.

The added bonus to this method is I don't feel guilty about hurrying to 'check things off the list' at the end of the day. :)

I'd love to hear about other tricks! I'm willing to try new things to help get a handle on our new normal, just not sure where to start.

• Like 1

Thank you all for the kind welcome! :D

@LostValkyrie19 Consistency is the hard part for me too. I wish I had good answers, but we'll just keep working on it!

I do have some pregnancy stuff in the bullet journal. It's really a catch all. I have work stuff, a list of songs my son brings home from preschool, a lot of house hunting stuff recently, and gift ideas for Christmas... It's a mess, but it keeps my mind from being (as much of) a mess which for me is exactly the point.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, MezzotheLefty said:

@Scaly Freak I like the guided meditations on Headspace (Andi Putticombes voice is ASMR-y and chill) and I was pretty consistent before the pandemic and resulting shut-down. I had a good routine at the office. I just haven't been able to replicate it at home...

I had that exact problem when I started working from home in mid-March. My situation is different from yours in that I have a very regular work schedule, and no children in my household, but I struggled to build good routines for a few weeks. I doubt what worked for me will be applicable to your situation though, my WFH routines are entire based on the fact I have consistent start and stop time to my work day.

One piece of advice I can give is to keep trying new things until you find what works, and that means being willing to stop trying to make something work if it's too challenging to do. :) 

• Like 1

Well week 1 was a mixed bag, but week 2 is off to a strong start. :) I've had some great days as far as healthy food goes so that's a win! Lots of quinoa bowls with eggs and other goodies. 

The weather is starting to turn and the breeze makes outside time actually enjoyable. My son loves being outside so I'm glad it's more comfortable for me to be out with him... I hope he always loves the outside as much as he does now!

• Like 6