GoodDoug Rangers all the Guilds (Again)

GoodDoug

The half-ogre looked up from the maps and books spread in front of him. He couldn't remember what it was he was looking for now. He just had so many plates spinning at once, it was hard to finish one thing before he had to move on to the next. The Ranger Guild Leader looked up from where they were sitting in the guild library, "I almost forgot to tell you, we need you to check on the other guilds. While the fighting is quiet, it is a good time to re-establish relations with all of the other guilds. We'll be needing those connections when it gets tough again."

GoodDoug sighed, it might feel quiet, but somehow he was busier than ever.

"OK, I'll make the rounds and do some training with each of the guilds as I can."

I really am trying to do too much right now. I feel like it is doable, but it is taking a bit of effort. I am in the middle of GMB Elements. I have started the NF Prime Journey and still feeling my way around that. Part of that (and part of just stuff I know I want to do) is meditation, journaling, food tracking, bodyweight exercise, as well as keeping up with juggling and handstand practice. Oh, and I am still trying to get more creative and do some drawing... <pant, pant> and I am trying to do creative cooking and creative fun stuff with the kids... <wheeze> and also trying to keep up at work with some new responsibilities, while also getting the back yard into shape before the rains come, as well as get into the woodshop to start working on Christmas presents... <gasp> all while managing the the fight against depression brought on by the combo punches of Covid-19 and the California wildfires.

Whew! Just typing that out made me tired! So, I need to find a way to keep up with all of this stuff, be able to finish something and move on to the next, and somehow not go crazy while doing it. I always cock my head funny when I think about adding things like meditation, drawing, and journaling to keep my sanity... adding new things to an already busy schedule... but I feel like these are important.

Adventurers: (trying new things)

• Trying to keep an art journal that I draw in twice a week at least
  • Duolingo every damned day

Rebels:

• Track my food - Mostly just track at least once a week
  • Make intelligent food/drink choices - this is a bit hand wavy, I'll look into something more concrete... maybe I can do a different strategy each week and see if anything really sticks

Assassins:

• Keep up with handstand work - do a handstand workout of any length at least twice a week
  • GMB Elements - finish out the next few weeks as I've been doing
  • GMB Mobius - start a new round once Elements is over

Druids:

• Meditation at least 3 times a week
  • Journaling for at least one minute a day (I'm using prompts this time around, so I'll see if that make it any easier)

Monk: 

• I don't have a good monk style thing to work on other than trying to have some "Boss fight" level challenges for this 

Scout:

• Running when the air quality lets me
  • Walking when it doesn't
  • If it is too yucky to walk, add cardio to my bodyweight work

Warrior:

• Bodyweight! Mostly doing NF Prime stuff
  • Pullups using rings at least twice a week

Most of these will be "Just do the minimum" (e.g. for pull-ups, doing a set of scapular retractions and a negative followed by one good attempt can be considered a "workout") along with some days of concentrating. 

What are my roadblocks?

Doing this stuff isn't by itself difficult. I can do all of these things, but it is hard to do them around the family schedule sometimes. I tend to wake up before the rest of the family, and this allows me uninterrupted time to meditate, journal, draw, and workout. If my workout is 45 minutes, then 10 minutes each of journaling, meditation, Duolingo, juggling, and handstands all within an hour and a half... well, you can see that the math doesn't add up. Also, I tend to spend some of that time cleaning the kitchen and getting food figured out for the day. I can sneak a little handstand and juggling practice in during the day during my breaks away from my computer during the work day, I might be able to sneak some drawing in at other times, but the family always seems to know when I need some uninterrupted time and chooses that time to interrupt me. 😜 

I think much of this challenge will be me exploring good and healthy ways to squeeze more "me" time into the day.

I will try and make a boss fight every couple of weeks... first boss fight is the Carb Demon. Can I cut carbs effectively these next two weeks? That means cutting down on my coffee with honey to once a day, and it means storing my sourdough starter in the fridge for now. Also means I need to avoid making cakes and cookies and avoiding the cakes and cookies the kids are making... starting next week. 

• Like 3
  • That's Metal 1

level 10 Half Ogre Ranger

Healers Brigade

1st  | 2nd | 3rd | 4th | 5th | 6th | 7th | 8th | 9th | 10th | 11th | 12th | 13th | 14th | 15th | 16th | 17th | 18th | 19th | 20th | 21st | 22nd | 23rd | 24th | 25th | 26th | 27th

Current

Following!

• Like 1

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Ranger all the things!

I am doing a second round of Mobius. I  am really enjoying the second round. I feel like I can focus more on the little details of things that I missed before, When I did it the first time, I did it for 30 minutes or 45 minutes.This time I mainly did 15 minutes, just  using it after my workout.

• Like 2

Wisdom- 13.5 Dexterity- 10 Charisma- 11 Strength- 12 Constitution-10 

Elastigirl Just Living Life - January 3 to February 6 New Year Challenge! - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"The chief goal of living is not to merely stay alive" Mike Rowe

10 hours ago, GoodDoug said:

my coffee with honey

Halt approves.

Rangers+Apprentice.jpg

• Like 2

[ Level ?? ]  Rurik the Windblade, the Blade Who Dances, Warhawk of the Steppes.

BRUTALITY 13 | FINESSE 12 | GRIT 13  | INSIGHT 15 | MOXIE 13

Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33

Current:   Cry Havoc™: Bladesong of the Warhawk

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik Harrgath became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR.

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wolfpool.

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager.

11 hours ago, Rurik Harrgath said:
20 hours ago, GoodDoug said:

my coffee with honey

Halt approves.

I started using honey in my coffee when we kept bees. Now I can't imagine using anything else to sweeten coffee.

Healers Brigade

1st  | 2nd | 3rd | 4th | 5th | 6th | 7th | 8th | 9th | 10th | 11th | 12th | 13th | 14th | 15th | 16th | 17th | 18th | 19th | 20th | 21st | 22nd | 23rd | 24th | 25th | 26th | 27th

Current

5 hours ago, GoodDoug said:

I started using honey in my coffee when we kept bees. Now I can't imagine using anything else to sweeten coffee.

I find nothing very satisfying.

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

41 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I find nothing very satisfying.

I just can't do that. I'd rather not have coffee if I can't have it with honey... I'm pretty sure coffee is mostly a vehicle for consuming honey for me ;)

• Haha 1

Healers Brigade

Current

Here to watch you do all the things!!

• Like 1

“And now that you don’t have to be perfect, you can be good.” John Steinbeck

“Do I dare disturb the universe?” – T.S. Eliot

“You wanna fly, you got to give up the shit that weighs you down.” – Toni Morrison

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us" JRR Tolkien

Current Challenge: Nova's FAB FIVE Summer Selfcare Superpalooza

This is an excellent depiction and RangerBrain and I am here for that :D 

On 9/10/2020 at 10:05 PM, GoodDoug said:

first boss fight is the Carb Demon.

I initially read this as crab demon, which also sounds like a good fight!

• Like 1

"The old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.

From the ashes a fire shall be woken, a light from the shadows shall spring."

iatetheyeti's odyssey: part one || part two

Yeti on Flickr - Facebook - Instagram

12 hours ago, iatetheyeti said:

This is an excellent depiction and RangerBrain and I am here for that :D 

I initially read this as crab demon, which also sounds like a good fight!

latest?cb=20140301212925

• Like 2

On 9/10/2020 at 5:05 PM, GoodDoug said:

start working on Christmas presents

*checks calendar*

Dang it, you're right. Time to get started on the tatted snowflakes.

• Like 1

Challenge:   0   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32  

The weekend was fine. Mitigated by the fact that the Air Quality Index was at the level of "Fine, as long as you don't actually breathe"

Did some work in the wood shop working on cleaning the place up and trying to finish up a couple of projects I need to move on. Kept up with meditating, journaling, and drawing this weekend. Also did the final test in the chin up challenge (spoiler: I didn't do much better... I think I tried to catch up for not doing enough and my arms were gassed for the actual test.) I need to also get back to 

This week will be about keeping up with GMB Elements in the morning; fitting some handstands, juggling, and pull-ups in during breaks in the work day; finding time to make sure I do Duolingo, meditation and drawing; and cutting out explicit sugar and useless carbs. I will make one exception as I have a plan to make hand pulled noodles this week for Taiwanese Beef Noodle Soup. But I can I call noodle soup useless carbs? Probably not. But I want to stay aware so I don't start making excuses for a perpetual sugar rush 😜 

This morning I started week 6 of GMB Elements, and this is when it really starts to ramp up. Prior to this it is more about "Here's how to do this thing" and now it is "Lets put all of this together... with no breaks!" It is really good for me, but I spent a good ten minutes before starting the workout trying to make excuses as to why I should either not do it, or how I can shorten it. Once I got into it, it was great and I feel good for having done it. But getting it started was a bear.

I like the idea of battling a Crab Demon, but the crab season here keeps getting shortened, so I don't think we'll have access to them until the new year. 

giphy.gif

• Like 4

Healers Brigade

Current

I think the fact that you make the noodles yourselves disqualifies them as useless carbs.😀 I love how GMB starts out so easy, and then ramps up.  Glad your air was semi better. Hoping ours gets better soon too.

• Like 1

Elastigirl Just Living Life - January 3 to February 6 New Year Challenge! - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

12 hours ago, GoodDoug said:

I like the idea of battling a Crab Demon, but the crab season here keeps getting shortened, so I don't think we'll have access to them until the new year. 

giphy.gif

That is one angry crab!

As far as carbs go, I figure if you're going to all the trouble of making your own, then surely it shouldn't count as useless :D

• Like 1

"The old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.

From the ashes a fire shall be woken, a light from the shadows shall spring."

iatetheyeti's odyssey: part one || part two

Yeti on Flickr - Facebook - Instagram

Quick catch up:

Being a Rebel - I'm doing a little less of the carbs... but not a lot less. I am also starting to squeeze the vice on intermittent fasting, delaying my morning meal (and coffee) by a little. Next week it will be more, and the week after will be even tighter. That Carb Demon might not be scared yet, but once I get IF tested and dialed in, I'm coming for it.

Adventuring - I've arted a little bit here and there. My goal lately has been to sketch things I see in front of me. I am trying to develop the "artists eye" for noticing and appreciating details. I've done Duolingo every day, but haven't spent a good chunk of time with it.

Assassin training - I've been kicking up at least once a day and have kept up with GMB Elements every day. Yesterday was tough, but I went Dory mode ("Just keep swimming!") and got through it. 

Druid - I've been meditating and journaling every day this week. I am enjoying it and feel good about it.

Scout - Haven't done any of this. Air quality just got better yesterday, so I'm hoping to get out for some walking tonight.

Warrior Stuff - Worked on ring pull ups on Tuesday and ordered an over door chin up bar. Elements has me pretty wiped right now, so I'm going to give myself a pass on any more Warrior stuff this week. The Warriors can have their way with me when the Assassins have finished pummeling me.

Overall, I feel pretty good about where I am and where I am headed. I can do better on a couple of things, but when isn't that the case?

• Like 3

Healers Brigade

Current

Dooouuugggg,

Hope everything is going well for you!!  Feel free to share some art!!!

• Like 1

“You wanna fly, you got to give up the shit that weighs you down.” – Toni Morrison

Oops! Got a little distracted and didn't update my thread. I read quite a few threads here but just didn't feel the motivation to update my thread. But, fixing that right now.

I'm a Rebel! - Started an Intermittent Fasting program and slowly dialing my start time closer to noon. Doing okay with that. My youngest had her 11th birthday on Tuesday, so there is cake around... but otherwise I'm doing okay on fighting the Carb Demon... but just okay, not great.

Going on an Adventure - Not as much art as I would want, but have done a little. I should sit down today at some point and just sketch what I see. Duolingo has been great, I'm second place on my leaderboard with little chance of making first or falling to third. I am enjoying it.

Licensed to Kill - GMB Elements has been kicking my ass. I'm on the penultimate week and they really crank up the intensity at the end. I like it though. Did some handstand work and am happy with where I find myself. I can kick up and hold for a couple of seconds consistently.

Druids - Meditating went well, then I took a little break because we are going to start a meditation challenge at work soon. I'm trying to be aware of my burn out potential. Journaling has been good, though I did miss journaling yesterday.

Running with the Scouts - No actual running, but quite a bit of walking. Juggling running with my family's needs is difficult right now, but we can all walk together. I will try and get a quick run in tomorrow, with a good long walk today.

Warrior spirit - Finally set up my pullup bar and got a jump rope so I can start the bodyweight circuit. Surprised myself by doing a bunch of full pull-ups and chirrups this morning after setting the bar up. Not all in a row, but just doing one every time I walked past the bar. Maybe 10 total... 

In other news, I took the previous two days (Tuesday and Wednesday) off. Tuesday was the daughter's birthday and so there was getting stuff done as well as some good walking while she did soccer. Wednesday I finally started on the garden beds I have been meaning to do. It was quite a bit of work, but it turned out okay. I now know what I need to do for the rest of them. But after the GMB Elements workout in the morning kicking my butt, moving large sheets of corrugated metal roofing material and wood (as well as the tools) exhausted me. Meant I slept really well.

In food news, I've been meaning for a while to try out hand pulled noodles (lan zhou la mian) for Tiawanese Beef Noodle soup. So this past weekend I made an attempt. Started with beef broth the day before, basically simmering beef bones for about 8 hours. The next day I made the soup base: ginger, scallions, onions, spicy fresh red peppers, star anise, garlic, rice wine, spicy fermented bean paste, and fresh tomatoes. To that I added some stew beef and a bunch of the beef stock and let that simmer for 3 hours. While that was cooking I worked on the Lan Zhou style noodles. I used nutritional yeast as the dough relaxer and it definitely relaxed the dough. What followed was a comedy of epic proportions as my youngest daughter and I kneaded the wet and sticky dough for almost an hour and a half, taking turns. It never got the texture we wanted, but we still tried to pull noodles. I started to panic, as I had some really yummy looking broth and some cut up bok choy and the real possibility of no noodles to go in it. My daughter eventually figured out a way to get long, flat, and fairly wide noodles that worked. For each bowl of soup, boiled the noodles, adding the bok choy to lightly cook, then removing. Added the noodles to the bowl, put the bok choy and beef on top of the noodles and spooned the soup on top. Garnished with chopped cilantro and scallions and -damn- that was good. Really good. We used up the rest of the soup the next day with some old ramen noodles we found in the pantry and it was great. I will try to do hand pulled noodles again someday, but will definitely make the beef noodle soup again with store bought noodles next time.

Making my sourdough cinnamon bread today, haven't made it in a while so looking forward to it.

• Like 3
  • That's Metal 1

Healers Brigade

Current

Very impressed with the Taiwanese Beef Noodle soup and all the care you took making it.And fun that your daughter helped out! Glad you figured out how to make the noodles work

• Like 2

Looks like your goals are going well!!  Keep it up!  Happy belated birthday to your daughter!!

• Like 1