GoodDoug Rangers all the Guilds (Again)

GoodDoug

Hi all! Time for a quick recap of last week:

First, sorry for dropping the ball on updating. It should be easier to do than it is, but for some reason I am having a hard time just sitting down to do it. This week I will strive to be better.

Being an Adventurer - I arted a few times and it felt good. I kicked ass on Duolingo and feel good about what I did there.

Such a Rebel - I didn't track food, last week at all, but I have been doing an Intermittent fasting progression. I am unsure of how it is helping, but I want to get all the way through it and try it on for a little while before I make a determination. With that, I've been a little more free with my food choices... I figure it is smart to focus on one thing at a time, and given my workouts and the IF, I want to make sure I am feeling "satisfied" and getting what I need.

Sneaky Assassin - I've done a little bit of handstand work, but not much. But I am still keeping my progress, so that is good. Last week was the first week I felt like skipping GMB Elements workouts, but I never skipped them. I didn't even modify them, I just put on my hardhat and got to work. I am very glad for that, but given that this week is even harder, I am looking forward to taking it down a notch next week when this is done. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy it, but this week is a little exhausting. This is my second run through Elements, and I remember last time when I got to this week, Monday morning I was all, "Are you kidding? They want us to do that this week?" This time I knew what to expect and that maybe made it worse ;) But I powered through it this morning, and expect to do the same tomorrow morning.

Cool story Druid - As mentioned, I am starting a meditation challenge at work this week, so gave myself permission to slack off last week to avoid burnout. But I did get journaling done most days. I was following prompts for journaling the last few weeks, but starting today I have no new prompts. I want to see how I can do without the prompts... should be interesting.

Monk-eying around - My Boss fight this week is with Intermittent Fasting (IF.) IF I could make it through last week, I can make it through next week. The IF monster is a two or sometimes three headed monster. IF you fight one head the other head attacks, IF you try and fight both heads, you fight at a disadvantage... IF you work with the monster, feeding it when it wants and rationalizing with it when you can't feed it, you can defeat it.

Scouting out the land - I actually went running this week. My daughter came to me, "Can we _actually_ go running tonight?" So how could I say no. It was tough, but I look forward to the next run.

We are Warriors! - Did a little bodyweight stuff. Hope to get into some light bodyweight work next week when GMB is over. Also got the pulp bar set up so have been trying to do a pull-up, chin-up, or just hang every time I walk through the kitchen door where the bar is hung. My arms are perpetually sore, but I've moved to doing one pull up and one attempt at another each time and it is getting better. I know if I keep doing it, I will eventually feel good about it. Also, if I were to lose weight, I feel like I could do a bunch more... but for now, I'm calling this extra weight I have "extra resistance."

For life updates:

This last week was filled with hard physical work. Both from my workouts as well as some good old fashioned yard work. I built a new garden bed, then I needed to level the dirt where it is going and then fill it with dirt. That was over two hours of sustained shovel work. This time last year I couldn't have lasted that long, so it is good to know I have gotten stronger. But wow, was I tired. That was Saturday, and so I took it quite easy yesterday, reading a good book and doing some easy craft stuff with the kids.

I also had to write a letter for my daughter's high school counselor: They wanted something so it looked like they had spoken with the parents when they were writing letters to colleges for her. It was a good exercise in that I had to explain how she had grown and why she would be a  good fit for a college. It was nice.

This week I will try to be better about updating my own thread.

• Like 3

level 10 Half Ogre Ranger

Healers Brigade

1st  | 2nd | 3rd | 4th | 5th | 6th | 7th | 8th | 9th | 10th | 11th | 12th | 13th | 14th | 15th | 16th | 17th | 18th | 19th | 20th | 21st | 22nd | 23rd | 24th | 25th | 26th | 27th

Current

In light of my promise to update more:

Yesterday was pretty good. Did my intermittent fasting as prescribed, and didn't eat too much crap. Also did my GMB Elements workout yesterday and this morning. It is now midday and I really need a nap! 

Still working on pull-ups when I walk by the bar. That is helping. I also want to work on art and journaling today. Here's hoping I make time for both of those.

• Like 2
  • That's Metal 1

Healers Brigade

1st  | 2nd | 3rd | 4th | 5th | 6th | 7th | 8th | 9th | 10th | 11th | 12th | 13th | 14th | 15th | 16th | 17th | 18th | 19th | 20th | 21st | 22nd | 23rd | 24th | 25th | 26th | 27th

Current

7 hours ago, GoodDoug said:

Still working on pull-ups when I walk by the bar.

Excellent way to set yourself up for success. :)

• Like 1

Challenge:   0   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32  

7 hours ago, GoodDoug said:

Still working on pull-ups when I walk by the bar. That is helping.

That's definitely an effective way of doing things.

...gotta get mine fixed and up again!

• Like 1

"The old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.

From the ashes a fire shall be woken, a light from the shadows shall spring."

iatetheyeti's odyssey: part one || part two

Yeti on Flickr - Facebook - Instagram

Hooo boy! Elements was tough this morning. My body is definitely saying, "Wait a minute... why aren't we doing a rest day?" I feel like it is appropriate to push as I know it is over after this week. But it is funny to go over my inner dialog in the morning: "OK, maybe I can skip today? I am tired... but maybe I can just do a little bit of this morning's workout... or better, lets just start and see how far I get. OK, I'm really sore now, but halfway through... I'll give myself permission to stop after this round. Huh? I finished the whole thing... a little slow and with some breaks to shake out my legs or arms, but I did it. Maybe tomorrow I'll take it easy." I have a similar dialog about doing a pull-up when I walk by the bar.

I've done some art and want to do a little more. I also want to get a little journaling in today before the evening is out. But I won't hold it against myself if I don't get to it.

• Like 1

Healers Brigade

Current

Recap of last week:

I'm on an Adventure - I did some art... maybe not as much as I would have liked, but I did the required "twice a week at least". I'm a goddamned Duolingo juggernaut. Feels like I'm actually learning French and getting better at it. 

Rebel without a Cause - Didn't track food at all, but did do my Intermittent Fasting. It is more difficult now that it has ratcheted up to the final level... I feel like it helps a little, but I am unsure of how sustainable it really is. I'm going to stick with it to the end of the cycle, but will assess after that. With that, I've been more free with my food choices... in fact, I've been trying to make sure I get enough calories in since I was doing a bit heavier workouts last week. But still trying to get my fruits and veggies in.

Assassin Training - Did a little handstand work, I feel like the GMB Elements has really helped move that along. I'm hoping to do more of it this week... really concentrate on it. GMB Elements finished last week, and it started out by kicking my ass for the final week. But my body adapted and by the end I didn't dread getting up in the morning to do the workout. Started Mobius this morning.

Druid, Where's my Karma? - Meditation was good, but could have journaled a bit more.The NF Journeys app was helpful in providing prompts, and I thought I would try it without prompts this week, but that hasn't helped. I really should have done some journaling as I was really needing to work through some heavy emotional stuff and I think it would have helped. I just need to be fine with writing a small bit in my journal and not have to make it a big thing.

Scout? - Ran once, walked quite a bit most other days of the week. I need to get back into the swing of running. Again, fitting it into the family is tough. My wife gets jealous when I run... she and I used to run together, but now that her back is bothering her, she doesn't feel comfortable running. She says she is fine with it, but her attitude and actions say differently. So, I feel like I have to minimize my running time to keep her feeling happy.

I am Warrior! - Working on doing a pull-up or chin up when I go by the bar during the day. I moved from 1 struggling, sorta kipping pull-up to doing two almost decent pull-ups every try. I had started doing a half pull-up then full pull-up. Once that got doable, I started trying two full pull-ups each time and now it might be time to start adding the third pull-up in. I am hoping to start a new bodyweight program this week.

Overall, a very busy week. I did a ton of working out. Work was really busy, but satisfying. And we had a bit of an emotional roller coaster with some weird family stuff. It is still a little unstable, but mostly resolved. It just means I need to spend some emotional and mental energy on it.

This week I intend to take it a little easier. On all fronts. I need some rest and I think I can hit all my challenge goals for the week and still take it a little easier than last week. Then I'll be ready to ramp it up again.

Thnx all for checking in!

• Like 2
  • That's Metal 1

Healers Brigade

Current

Started the new bodyweight program this morning and it kicked my butt a little bit. But only a little, not too much, so that was good. There were a couple of new things that gave me a little pause. Jumping rope is something I haven't really done since I was little. But I did it as the prescribed warmup today. After getting into the swing of things (Ha!) it wasn't bad. The next part was box jumps... I couldn't find a decent platform that I felt could hold my weight and not fall over that wasn't _almost_ too tall. It was probably higher than I was initially comfortable with (I sat in a partial squat, arms back, looking at that chair... "OK, go ahead. Jump. You won't get hurt... come on, just do it!") but ended up doing it and feeling pretty good about it.

Having a tough time getting motivated for work today. I keep doing all the procrastination tasks instead of anything real. I guess some days are just like that. Might have something to do with feeling a bit tuckered from the workout this morning. I am almost done with the procrastination tasks and then I am hoping to do the one thing I really should finish today for work. Other than that, I'm on track for getting stuff done.

• Like 2

Healers Brigade

Current

Good for you for getting back into the swing of jump roping. I can do it, but I get really winded, so it is something I need to do more.  Woot for the chair jump. I'm jumping onto a milk crate, which is probably too low, but I wasn't sure what else to do that wasn't too high, and so I opted for the shorter. But maybe soon I will try higher

• Like 1

Wisdom- 13.5 Dexterity- 10 Charisma- 11 Strength- 12 Constitution-10 

Elastigirl Just Living Life - January 3 to February 6 New Year Challenge! - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"The chief goal of living is not to merely stay alive" Mike Rowe

12 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Good for you for getting back into the swing of jump roping. I can do it, but I get really winded, so it is something I need to do more.  Woot for the chair jump. I'm jumping onto a milk crate, which is probably too low, but I wasn't sure what else to do that wasn't too high, and so I opted for the shorter. But maybe soon I will try higher

After the minutes of hesitation, once I started doing the jumps it was great. But those few minutes of "Oh God, can I do this? Ami going to break a toe?" were tough.

5 hours ago, Salinger said:

I have no coordination for skipping - pisses me off hahah

Haha! I figure practicing jumping rope (even as badly as I do it) is great to help me build that coordination. If you were already coordinated enough to do it easily, why would you need to do it at all 😜 

• Haha 1

Healers Brigade

Current

On 10/5/2020 at 1:06 PM, GoodDoug said:

Scout? - Ran once, walked quite a bit most other days of the week. I need to get back into the swing of running. Again, fitting it into the family is tough. My wife gets jealous when I run... she and I used to run together, but now that her back is bothering her, she doesn't feel comfortable running. She says she is fine with it, but her attitude and actions say differently. So, I feel like I have to minimize my running time to keep her feeling happy.

That sounds a little tricky. Keeping harmony in the family is important too.

• Like 1

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

Quick update:

Yesterday was pretty good. Did the GMB Mobius session. I am keeping it short, as I feel like doing Mobius is my rest day if I keep it at the short duration. Got in my meditation and a bit of reading. I wanted to do some drawing yesterday but didn't get to it. I hope to get to it today.

This morning did the next day on my bodyweight program... I don't know why I thought it would be the same exercises as the first day, but that is what I thought until I clicked through. I still did a quick warmup with the jump rope even though it wasn't prescribed. The other parts were mostly upper body and boy do I feel it now. Chin-up negatives and dips for days... capped off with a pull-up bar hang. Needless to say, I'm not doing any pull-ups as I walk by the bar today (I can't even look directly at it right now...) First time in a while it hurt to wash my hair after a workout. 

But it is all good. I am starting to notice real changes. The scale isn't changing, but I am seeing a bit more definition than I was before. I know I need to get my diet to a better place before I get any real changes there, but it is good to start to see some muscle fighting with the fat 😜

Work is interesting. I am DRI for a smallish feature, but that means I am doing a lot more planning and writing as well as a lot more coordinating with other teams. It is good for me, but out of my comfort zone for sure. I need to remember that some of my spoons have to go to that and not burn myself out. But it is a balance... hang on, I need to google "balancing spoons"

• Like 4

Healers Brigade

Current

Recap of last week:

Adventuring - Didn't do enough art. Just didn't have the spoons available. Duolingo was great, got first place on the Obsidian leader board so now I am finally in Diamond. Not going to try for top ten there, just try and keep up with what I am doing. 

Rebelling - Didn't track, and finished out the IF program I was on. I let myself be a bit more free with eating window, while still trying to concentrate my meals between noon and eight. But I noticed I wasn't recovering well from my workouts last week and so worked harder this weekend to fuel myself.

Assassinating - Did some handstand work and soldiered on with the Mobius program. Mobius is less about strength or aerobics and more about movement and proprioception. Worked on the balance board as well, juggling while balancing is a pretty good workout.

Druid-ing? - Meditated like a champ. I can feel it helping. Though I need to be honest at how much energy it takes... energy not available for journaling or acting. I need to figure out a way to reserve a little energy for those things. I did journal once this past week. 

Scouting - Didn't run this week, and didn't do a lot of walking. This needs to be more of a focus this week.

Warrior-ing? - Started the week doing two pull-ups. I also started the bodyweight program. That has really kicked my butt. The first day was tough but doable, the second day is still affecting me. I can barely do one pull-up and still feel pretty weak. I think it was a mixture of overdoing it and not eating enough. 

For the week as a whole, I did a lot of working out, I discovered I might need to eat a little more. This next week I will focus on protein. Maybe tracking can help that. I'll see if I have the mental energy to start that up again. Speaking of mental energy, I am discovering my limits there as well. But that is a good thing. I just need to find a way to not burn out completely. For my bodyweight workout, I want to make sure that I keep doing it, but listen to my body better and give myself the permission to ease off a bit.

Looking over last week's recap, I said I was going to take it easier... that didn't work out as planned ;) But maybe this week I will give myself more permission to not push so hard.

Thnx all for checking in!

• Like 3

Healers Brigade

Current

Quick check in:

Logged all of my food yesterday. I tried to eat as if I wasn't tracking, but then track... while not looking at the totals until the end... turns out I was undereating more than I thought. Weird, because my weight has been stable, but I have been feeling weaker. So, I'm going to ignore weight loss and focus on Dem Gains™ for a little while. 

Did the next in the bodyweight workouts and it wasn't nearly as bad as the last one. It was still tough, but much more doable.

Today I'm going to try and eat more... hopefully focussing on good stuff, but I'll eat a few cookies, too. Work is slightly less crazy these next few days, so I'm going to take advantage of the extra mental energy to do some of the stuff I've been neglecting... including catching up here with everyone.

• Like 1

Healers Brigade

Current

Holy Carp! 🎏

I just realized this is the last week of the challenge. That means I need to start thinking about what I've done and what I want to do next challenge.

Is it just me or was this challenge really short and quick?

• Like 3

Healers Brigade

Current

2 hours ago, GoodDoug said:

Holy Carp! 🎏

I just realized this is the last week of the challenge. That means I need to start thinking about what I've done and what I want to do next challenge.

Is it just me or was this challenge really short and quick?

It's just you, This challenge won't end for some of us.

• Like 1

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath